Man vs Food and the Habanero pepper

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Saw an episode of Man V Food where he takes this habanero Fritter challenge, he was talking about comparative hotnesses, and how pure chili pepper extract it the hottest shit on earth pretty much

so I went to the local grocery and got some habanero sauce, cooked up some tacos, put about a teaspoon in the mix, maybe a cup and a half of meat, and then sprinkled a few drop on top of each taco.....HOLY CRAP!!!! :o

I started sweating on my face immediately, then my mouth proceeded to burn for about 10 minutes while I continued to sweat and oh my nose ran..(good if you are stuffy I suppose) glad I took it slow the first time and did not go all out. I cannot imagine how hot those fritter he ate were as they were 100 times worse than what I tried,

I didn't find it really tasty either, more of just hot for hot sake.

so what food or doom incidents have you had?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• One time I was making a wrap skillet thing... My mom bought a habanero instead of a jalapeno... Burned my hands, tongue, eyes, and hip (scratched my side after cutting the pepper w/o gloves).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Oh my if that stuff got in your eyes that must have stung like acid! Just taking a whiff of it made my senses go nuts
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    check out the one where he has to eat the wings with the sauce that has like 4 or 5 habanero peppers in it. he has to eat 12 wings in 10 minutes then lick the sauce off his fingers and once he does that sit there without wiping his hands or face for 5 minutes. he was struggling big time.

i like hot food quite a bit and enjoy a small amount of habanero in a lot of things.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Habaneros can be really good if used right.

Just be very careful in how you cut them up. No amount of soap will get the heat off.
    Keep that in mind if you have a girlfriend ;) or when in the shower ;)!

I suggest using latex gloves.
  • IF you get hot stuff on your fingers, dip them in vinegar. It works!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like the habenero challenges he does. The Ghost Pepper though makes a habenero look like a cute little green pepper.

He has done a couple challenges with ghost pepper's too it is funny to watch them light him up :lol:
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I love using Habeneros, especially in my hot wing sauce. They give a great subtle heat after you eat the wing, which stays with you.... great stuff.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I have too many spicy stories to tell in a single post! I am an absolute sucker for hot sauce & spicy food.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    A word of advice: never eat a raw habanero. The end with the seeds is RIDICULOUSLY HOT! Believe me, you'll feel the heat on both ends.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Habaneros can be really good if used right..

:thumbup:
    absolutely!
    we grow our own, and they seem even more potent when fresh from the garden. :shock:

mr. dream makes his own awesome tomato sauce, and one year he added ah habanero to it, was delish. so next time he was making sauce, and for dinner guests no less....he figured, of one was good...two would be better. :wtf: needless to say, it was inedible. :lol: moderation in all things, but most especially habaneros. 8-)

love, love, love spicy foods!

mca47 wrote:
    Just be very careful in how you cut them up. No amount of soap will get the heat off.
    Keep that in mind if you have a girlfriend ;) or when in the shower ;)!

I suggest using latex gloves.

i second this.
    big time.

let's just say i have some, erm...firsthand experience here, and it was....not pleasant. yeowza! :? :o :twisted:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

let's just say i have some, erm...firsthand experience here, and it was....not pleasant. yeowza! :? :o :twisted:

Same here. It's is NOT fun.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    [we grow our own, and they seem even more potent when fresh from the garden. :shock:

My roomate grew a jalopeno on our deck last year and we ate it raw. holy shit fire i can usually eat jalopeno's without a problem but this one lit me up like a christmast tree in time square! :o
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BinFrog wrote:

:shock:
    UNDERstatement.
    i was like....wtf?!
    :wtf:
    ack!
    :lol:

intodeep wrote:
    My roomate grew a jalopeno on our deck last year and we ate it raw. holy shit fire i can usually eat jalopeno's without a problem but this one lit me up like a christmast tree in time square!

we grow just about every variety of spicy pepper out there, and HELL YES...they are WAY hotter fresh from the garden, even the jalapeno, than what you are accustomed to from the store, jarred, or from a restaurant.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    BinFrog wrote:

I bet there are some freaks out there that would like this. ;)
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

by freaks do you mean.....yourself? ;)

habaneros are no playthings....tread lightly my friend. they are awesome in your food, but in the bedroom? errrrr....not so much. :shock:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

we grow just about every variety of spicy pepper out there, and HELL YES...they are WAY hotter fresh from the garden, even the jalapeno, than what you are accustomed to from the store, jarred, or from a restaurant.

Growing up my family had a huuuuuuge garden and like you, we'd grow pretty much any pepper we could find seeds for.
    Good stuff!!
    Oh, and you're right. A fresh pepper off the plant is def. hotter than those you can get at the store. Better flavor too!

Every year around Christmas I make my homemade pickled jalapenos. They are sooooo freakin' good! They'll bite you in the ass, but you can't stop eating them!

Mmmmm! :D

Speaking of habaneros. Have you guys tried Tabasco's Habanero sauce? Man, that's good stuff. Soooo tasty!

habaneros are no playthings....tread lightly my friend. they are awesome in your food, but in the bedroom? errrrr....not so much. :shock:

Agreed.

Past experience...

Lots of habanero pepper sauce on pizza. Bedroom stuff later. One "hot" girlfriend. :lol: But not "hot" in a good way...or so I was told! :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    Speaking of habaneros. Have you guys tried Tabasco's Habanero sauce? Man, that's good stuff. Soooo tasty!

Agreed.
  • mca47 wrote:

Agreed.

Past experience...

Lots of habanero pepper sauce on pizza. Bedroom stuff later. One "hot" girlfriend. :lol: But not "hot" in a good way...or so I was told! :lol:

hot gf...hot wife....very similar story and results.... :evil: :twisted: :shock: :lol:

i loooooovvvvvveeeee hot sauce, hot peppers....but combine that with other favorite activities....:wtf: :mad: :twisted: no way!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    the wolf wrote:

no i didn't mean me. lol not at all. i do not think food belongs in the bedroom. I was just saying, i've seen some fucked up shit, I'm sure there are people out there that would like this.

as far as habaneros, I love them ! but only on my food !!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • the wolf wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

no i didn't mean me. lol not at all. i do not think food belongs in the bedroom. I was just saying, i've seen some fucked up shit, I'm sure there are people out there that would like this.

as far as habaneros, I love them ! but only on my food !!

torture follows reward.....;)

yes, there are some "interesting" practices out there, takes all kinds....as long as it is consentual, all are happy....who am i to say? :P
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    it is just pure heat if too much is there, makes you sweat instantly, and the after effects last a long long time
    I use Habaneros constantly in recipes for grilling and things and love hot food.

Last evening the lady and I were at Whole Foods and decided it would be a good idea to find the two biggest habaneros possible and eat them whole when we got home. My fucking god that was brutal. I ate it in about 3 bites and fuck me it was hot.

Now I just have to find a ghost pepper. I am pretty sure eating one of those will make me hallucinate.
    I have multiple awesome spicy food stories. If I have time I will type a few of them up.
    BinFrog wrote:
    I have multiple awesome spicy food stories. If I have time I will type a few of them up.

Too funny. I didn't realize this was an old post I had posted in multiple times.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I use Habaneros constantly in recipes for grilling and things and love hot food.

Last evening the lady and I were at Whole Foods and decided it would be a good idea to find the two biggest habaneros possible and eat them whole when we got home. My fucking god that was brutal. I ate it in about 3 bites and fuck me it was hot.

Now I just have to find a ghost pepper. I am pretty sure eating one of those will make me hallucinate.

check with with RW...he was growing them

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=161911
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

check with with RW...he was growing them

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=161911

Ha, thats awesome. I am going to have to get in touch with him. I have been talking about growing peppers for a while now. Next summer for sure.

I don't think my stomach is going to be right for a week though.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Last evening the lady and I were at Whole Foods and decided it would be a good idea to find the two biggest habaneros possible and eat them whole when we got home.

:o
    DS1119 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Last evening the lady and I were at Whole Foods and decided it would be a good idea to find the two biggest habaneros possible and eat them whole when we got home.

:o

Haha, yeah, man. We're idiots. God knows how we found each other.
    Unfortunately habaneros now wreak havoc on my system so I can only eat them sparingly. The spice is the least of my concerns when I eat them.