Radiohead

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited March 2013 in Other Music
So i have a feeling I'm going to get a ton of mixed (real bad and real good) opinions on this post but I've actually just starting hearing Radiohead for the first time. I've always known of the song Creep, b/c of radio play, but have never really listened to anything else (despite them being one of the most popular bands on earth). Anyway, been hearing a lot on several Pandora stations and thought I might check out an album or two. Decided to start with the Bends. Any opinions or suggestions???
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• That's a great place to start. Might as well go chronologically from there, hear how they continued to evolve.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    The Bends is the best place to start

Ok Comp or In Rainbows is probably the next logical step.

If you like Creep much at all, go get Pablo Honey.
  • The Bends is one of my all-time favorite albums. OK Computer is also awesome. After those two, I would In Rainbows a shot, and if you're still high on Radiohead after those three, give Kid A a try - it's weird but pretty great.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Yea, the Bends is a rocker, as is Pablo Honey (their first one, which I'd recommend next). Then take the plunge with OK Computer - it might take a couple of listens to digest but it's worth it (be sure to also check out other OKC era tunes like Pearly, Polyetheline and A Reminder). That will set the tone for everything that comes next. The key is to stick with it. Even their most techno-y tunes have guitar-driven rock origins, so it's not as hard as some people think to get into them. And DEFINITELY catch them live. They're an incredible band. Good luck!
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I consider The Bends their first real album. Start with that, and get familiar with that.

Then, get OK Computer... however, listen to the album ALL the way thru, at least 3 times.

The first time I heard OK Computer, my thought was "interesting". Second time I heard it, it grew on me. Third time around, I knew it was brilliant. ...I later remember hearing a DJ say the same thing about "the third time" listening to OK Computer.

After you are familiar with OK Computer, I would get In Rainbows.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • thanks all. Bends should be arriving in the mail any day now. I'll check out your suggestions after I've had the chance to fully digest.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    OK Computer is my favorite Radiohead album but I don't think its the best place to start. It would kind of be like telling a new PJ fan to start with No Code. The Bends is a great place to start and then, like someone above said, go in order.

IMO In Rainbows would be last on the list. I love Radiohead but I still haven't been able to get into this album.
  • IMO, OK Computer is their best, but The Bends is my favourite.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    OK Computer is my favorite Radiohead album but I don't think its the best place to start. It would kind of be like telling a new PJ fan to start with No Code. The Bends is a great place to start and then, like someone above said, go in order.

IMO In Rainbows would be last on the list. I love Radiohead but I still haven't been able to get into this album.

Radiohead's music diverged significantly after OK Computer, but I consider In Rainbows to be a return-to-form to some extent. It seems to be a perfect compliment to OK Computer, but that's only my opinion. :D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    So i have a feeling I'm going to get a ton of mixed (real bad and real good) opinions on this post but I've actually just starting hearing Radiohead for the first time. I've always known of the song Creep, b/c of radio play, but have never really listened to anything else (despite them being one of the most popular bands on earth). Anyway, been hearing a lot on several Pandora stations and thought I might check out an album or two. Decided to start with the Bends. Any opinions or suggestions???

the bends and then ok computer. things get a little weird after that.
  • They are not a band for everyone. They in my mind are probably the most ethical and environmentally conscious band this side of Fugazi, as Thom said they seriously considered retiring from touring for good, for the sole reason that it caused too much polution, and even their live show is environmentally safe down to the lighting and all that.

Radiohead is arguably the most experimental and boundary pushing band of our generation, along with Tool. Whats cool about Radiohead is they are relentless in their desire to do whatever they feel like. They start their careers as Nirvana copycats so to speak with Creep, great song, but lets face it was like alot of music during the 90's. They then create a series of 3 or 4 of the most acclaimed albums of all time, each increasingly more experimental, and unique. They create a rock album, in large part without guitars (Kid A), create songs with distorted vocals and songs that sound created on Protools. They create, Hail to the Thief, which is a pretty good document of post 9/11 life. Then they throw everyone off again, instead of going experimental again, they create a straight forward, rock album, with In Rainbows, but this time, its the promotion of the album, the way they sell the album that is revolutionary.

This is a band so far ahead of the game. Most bands are clueless as to how to approach the Post-Napster music climate, Thom and the gang are not clueless, they know exactly what they are doing.

Radiohead creates a perfect soundtrack for modern life and capitalist society. Thom isnt writing lyrics about storming the barricades, he isnt talking about protest so to speak. The lyrics and the music itself, express something deeper than that. You dont have to know the lysics to "The Gloaming" to know the feeling that song will give upon listen. This is a band writing about the dehumanizing consequences of a society that worships technology, money and greed.

Buy the entire catalogue. Get every album. This is some of the most critically and fan loved music of our generation. Music that challenges the listener to re-evaluate what music is, what a song is, and what makes up a song. These are albums that encapsulate the way modernity literally is killing us.
  • I'll get crucified for this, but everyone has their own opinion, and I respect everyone else who has posted on here, but...
    They disappeared up their own arses after OK Computer, The Bends is awesome mind.
  • jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    the most innovative band in the past 20 years. pablo honey, the bends, and ok computer are great rock albums, then you really have to be open to music to listen to the next three, and even in Rainbows is a different animal from the rest of the rock world. my fav album by Radiohead seems to change periodically, but most of the time it is a two horse race between the bends and hail to the theif.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259

Better late then never is what I say! I was late getting into Radiohead as well, but I'm glad I did. You have quite a bit of catching up to do but you'll have fun doing it. I would agree with others that you should go in chronological order, kind of gives you an idea of their progression. Also if the opportunity arises check them out live, I was lucky to catch them on the In Rainbows tour and it was amazing, I was one of the lucky ones that got in on time for the Bristow VA show, long story.

My faves are The Bends,Kid A, OK Computer, and, In Rainbows. For a taste of their live show you might want to pick up their live EP I MIght Be Wrong.

Enjoy!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

the bends and then ok computer. things get a little weird after that.

This would be my statement too...

However, I do really enjoy Amnesiac.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    They are not a band for everyone. They in my mind are probably the most ethical and environmentally conscious band this side of Fugazi, as Thom said they seriously considered retiring from touring for good, for the sole reason that it caused too much polution, and even their live show is environmentally safe down to the lighting and all that.

Radiohead is arguably the most experimental and boundary pushing band of our generation, along with Tool. Whats cool about Radiohead is they are relentless in their desire to do whatever they feel like. They start their careers as Nirvana copycats so to speak with Creep, great song, but lets face it was like alot of music during the 90's. They then create a series of 3 or 4 of the most acclaimed albums of all time, each increasingly more experimental, and unique. They create a rock album, in large part without guitars (Kid A), create songs with distorted vocals and songs that sound created on Protools. They create, Hail to the Thief, which is a pretty good document of post 9/11 life. Then they throw everyone off again, instead of going experimental again, they create a straight forward, rock album, with In Rainbows, but this time, its the promotion of the album, the way they sell the album that is revolutionary.

This is a band so far ahead of the game. Most bands are clueless as to how to approach the Post-Napster music climate, Thom and the gang are not clueless, they know exactly what they are doing.

Radiohead creates a perfect soundtrack for modern life and capitalist society. Thom isnt writing lyrics about storming the barricades, he isnt talking about protest so to speak. The lyrics and the music itself, express something deeper than that. You dont have to know the lysics to "The Gloaming" to know the feeling that song will give upon listen. This is a band writing about the dehumanizing consequences of a society that worships technology, money and greed.

Buy the entire catalogue. Get every album. This is some of the most critically and fan loved music of our generation. Music that challenges the listener to re-evaluate what music is, what a song is, and what makes up a song. These are albums that encapsulate the way modernity literally is killing us.

I think what you've just said is what I needed to hear about Radiohead. Thanks for the input! :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,300
    I got into Radiohead around the Amnesiac time. I was a little late to the party, but it was a lot of fun to join it! Their live performances (saw them during Thief & Rainbows tours) are incredible.

I'm sure you will enjoy The Bends & OK Computer rather quickly. To go with these are a couple really good EP's: My Iron Lung & Airbag. OK Computer is probably among the top 5 albums ever made.

Kid A & Amnesiac are kind of a double album released separately. Kid A is 10 spectacular, very strange, rock & roll songs, made basically without instruments. This is my personal favorite, but a lot of people don't like it. Amnesiac is a little more of the same, a little bit of straight-forward rock, and a bit of filler. The live album You Might Be Wrong has 7 Kid A/Amnesiac songs that don't sound anything like the recorded versions and a beautiful song called True Love Waits. Short but great live album. Also, look for a b-side called Cuttooth from the Knives Out single.

Hail to the Thief tends to be overlooked, but is really awesome. In Rainbows may be a tad overrated, but is still pretty awesome.

Enjoy!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • OK Computer, the Bends, Kid A, and In Rainbows are their best albums in my opinion. So if you are willing to buy a few albums but not the whole collection, go with those or some of those. If you want to buy even less than that, then I'd listen to some of the songs (on youtube or something) from those albums, because they all have a different sound, and that way you could figure out which kind of sound you like best.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    I got into them when Creep came out but didn't get Pablo Honey till later. Liked The Bends and OK Comp. after that lost interest in them. Saw them live a few years ago in philly at the Tower and started to get back into them. Heard In Rainbows and fell back into them. Saw them again during that tour and really started to dig/respect them a lot. Got their other albums later (Amnesiac, hail to thief. kid a, pablo honey)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • I can listen to Radiohead up to, and including Kid A. I personally think that The Bends (their best), OK Computer and Kid A are the three best consecutive albums ever released by one artist.

Hail To The Thief was a big, big disappointment and In Rainbows is unlistenable. Just my opinion!!!
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Having a Radiohead weekend at work. What a truly magnificent band! I sometimes go for long periods without listening to them but when I do I completely immerse myself in them. Attempt at ranking the albums:

#1. Hail To The Thief
    #2. Kid A
    #3. OK Computer
    #4. The King Of Limbs
    #5. The Bends
    #6. Amnesiac
    #7. In Rainbows
    #8. Pablo Honey
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    karma police...arrest this man
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    In my opinion:

You can't really go wrong with Radiohead. I like all the albums, But "the bends," and "OK computer" will probably be the best starting points. However, Radiohead is real keen on playing new material live, so not much OK computer, or Bends stuff in the sets as of last tour.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,461

Anybody else hear a lot of Pyramid Song in this?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Pretty cool soundtrack song.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,273

Having a Radiohead weekend at work. What a truly magnificent band! I sometimes go for long periods without listening to them but when I do I completely immerse myself in them. Attempt at ranking the albums:

#1. Hail To The Thief

#2. Kid A

#3. OK Computer

#4. The King Of Limbs

#5. The Bends

#6. Amnesiac

#7. In Rainbows

#8. Pablo Honey

Hail to the thief is incredible
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,362
    Love the song. Hoping for a new album in 2016
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Sorry aside from creep I can't understand one word Yorke is singing..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Wma31394 said:

Sorry aside from creep I can't understand one word Yorke is singing..

Haha i just had Amnesiac on and was thinking the same thing. I guess it's more about creating an atmosphere than the lyrics with Radiohead. Kid A was their masterpiece.

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16