Letter to Eddie - 12 Year Old Kid At Perth Show

Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
edited December 2009 in The Porch
To Eddie and PJ
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my stepson’s first concert such an amazing experience. Marcus was the little kid who was holding the G’day from Yallingup sign in front of Jeff, on the rail at the Perth show. (He also punched an Australia Beach ball complete with messages up on stage and sorry Jeff, it almost hit you. Very well palmed over your head.) You asked him his age and you asked after to make sure he was OK and that he was safe. During this time his image appeared on the video screens and the crowd let rip with a huge cheer. You then flicked him a plectrum and made sure it got to him. He also managed to get one of Mike’s.

After the show dozens and dozens of people congratulated him, shook his hand, gave him hi-5s, honked their car horns and referred to him as the 12 year old Pearl Jam kid. Even during breakfast in our hotel, people were recognising him and congratulating him. The drive back down here from Perth was filled with talk about the night. He is still floating on cloud nine and presently on the phone telling his real dad about it. He is the most famous kid in the South West at this time. You now have another devoted fan in Yallingup/Dunsborough.

I was present at LA for shows 3 and 4 and have been at every other Perth gig and this moment topped everything I have seen previously – and I’ve seen you guys do some amazing shows.
Pearl Jam have given me so much over the years, thank you for now giving my stepson a great start in his love of live rock n roll.

I hope to see you again in Melbourne and/or Sydney before you leave our country – you’re always welcome back.

"Edit: Marcus and his sign @ 2:26 http://pearljamtour.tv" Thank you everyone. Talk about making a young kid's (and old man's) day!

Edit: Youtube footage of Unthought Known and then Ed speaking to Marcus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHd0tb2qRr4
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OkOk Posts: 2,144
    wow - great job little man!!! and multiple picks you lucky son of a.... :D:D:D:D
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    If you do Sydney, can I stand in front of you on the barrier and pretend to be your step daughter? I'm only 5'1" -- you can pick me up etc no problems...get Eddie's attention...we'll do up a little sign etc? I'll even share any goodies I get with you! :thumbup:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    If you do Sydney, can I stand in front of you on the barrier and pretend to be your step daughter? I'm only 5'1" -- you can pick me up etc no problems...get Eddie's attention...we'll do up a little sign etc? I'll even share any goodies I get with you! :thumbup:

lol :lol:
  • Nice work Ziggy ! Funny shit.
    Pearl Jam's one and only concert in Canberra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9las2e5n_Yo
  • Ya on Ziggy! I'll put in my goodies request via PM <rofl>
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    Hey Paul, did you notice we chanted his name when that happened?
    BOOTS!
  • ZiggyStar wrote:

I'm 6'2", you can try get me a few picks, and a bottle.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Jo wrote:
    Hey Paul, did you notice we chanted his name when that happened?
    BOOTS!

Hey Jo, we were looking for you guys - we couldn't hear anything beyond the few people around us the noise was so loud, We didn't even see his image on the screen - although a photo is on its way from another 10c member. His brag book you gave him is already awesome - two picks, a 10c ticket and wrist band, and soon his image on the big screen. What a night!!!

Check this out: My Alive Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l9b7qnuUmI
  • The camera work was pretty good...your stepson's image was up on the screens for a bit while Ed was talking to you both. The camera crew also did a good job of picking out a few glamours in GA who were up on someone's shoulders...
  • sideshow77 wrote:
    The camera work was pretty good...your stepson's image was up on the screens for a bit while Ed was talking to you both. The camera crew also did a good job of picking out a few glamours in GA who were up on someone's shoulders...

It wasn't actually me who held him up. I was behind the guy who did hold him up. They were on the rail and were nice enough to allow Marcus to stand infront of them. I was the guy behind them with a white "LA Lakers" pearl jam shirt on.

Actually before the show in the 10c line, the camera guys made a point of filming him with his sign too. Were trhey Chuggy's film crew for pearljamtour.tv ? Man, I'd love it if this was part of an official Pearl Jam dvd.
  • That was really cool of Eddie!! I was saying to my boyfriend, "Hey that's the kid and folks whose photo's I took at The Brissy Hotel before the show!" (I was the one with the other LA gig shirt).
    Glad you guys had a great night! Definitely the best show I've been to!
    Fleur
  • ZiggyStar wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • i always like what u write here...this was awesome...
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Thanks Dimi - shame we won't be seeing you down here too - you're a quality guy.
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    fleursie60 wrote:
    That was really cool of Eddie!! I was saying to my boyfriend, "Hey that's the kid and folks whose photo's I took at The Brissy Hotel before the show!" (I was the one with the other LA gig shirt).
    Glad you guys had a great night! Definitely the best show I've been to!

Was I one of the Folks? I reckon you snaped for me and paul. :D:D you took 5 or 6 snaps.
    thanks, I was pulling a funny face in all of them. :mrgreen:

Thanks Dimi - shame we won't be seeing you down here too - you're a quality guy.
    thank u..was difficult..i could find away with money,but my sis is ready to deliver her first child so i want to be here..
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    well done 8-)

i took my son to sydney 06 when he was just 10, and yea he was just blown away. i wanted to bring him along again this time too - but i thought only being 13 that GA might be a bit much for him, so ive promised him a new cap, and hopefully a few picks instead. glad to hear your boy went well.
    impatience is a gift ........
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    All we need now is for the whole PERTH GIG to be put on DVD :D hehe
  • zenith wrote:
    well done 8-)

i wanted to bring him along again this time too - but i thought only being 13 that GA might be a bit much for him

This was my wife's concern, but I felt pretty good about this GA, but I knew he had to be against the rail with a couple of strong people around him.

As it turned out, the it was 10c members all around us, at least a handfull of rows back (and then some). We all respected each other, did not bump or push each other, rocked out with a bit of personal space,. it was unlike any pit i've been in before.Springsteens was similar - just had another gneration older present. Where i was, people did their best by each other. From what I could see looking back was that it seemed to be pretty full on about 10 metres back and I have read stories of a few dicks back there, but on the whole it was nothing like the pits of the 90s. If you could get him up front and agasint the rail, he'd be fine

Security where I was were top knotch - offering water, keeping an eye on things and even helped make sure Marcus got his plectrums. We brought a beach ball and threw it up after BH&R7 and everyone had the usual fun, and security even joined in, they were hitting the ball back each time rather that popping it (which I'm used to seeing). I did see then drag a couple of people who were figthing and also help a load of people.

I was so glad we decided to take him - the whole experience has totally blown his brain :) The concert itself was more than enough, but the attention from Eddie and then the rest of the crowd totally sent him over the top.

Seeing Pearl Jam in 2009 is an incredible experience. They just keep getting better with age - something not too many bands can honestly claim. But so do the 10c members. Eveyone I have taken to a show or encouraged to see Pearl Jam feel it and then never miss following tours. Hopefully the "Built To Last" t-shirt is significant because I could really handle taking my kids to the show, hanging out with 10c members and seeing PJ for another 20 years.
  • i_lov_it wrote:
    All we need now is for the whole PERTH GIG to be put on DVD :D hehe

I'd give my left one for that....
  • Hi Paul,

I had the privelage of being right behind you (I had the Khaki rip curl hat) and had the pleasure of Marcus showing me his loot straight after the gig. Made an old man jealous. One because he had the best spot in the house and two because he gets to surf bears every day of the week. One of the best moments of the show for me was actually seeing the fantastic bond between Marcus and yourselves. I have a 5 year old son myself and hope to have the same experience someday. I was actually going to write a similar leter to yourself because I'm not sure Eddie and the guys would get to see or share in the sheer joy you could see on your faces.

Hope to see you at the next show or surfing a few waves down south. Stefan.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Hey Paul...I was standing behind you too about 3 people back...behind a guy wearing an Los Angeles 7th October white shirt had a bit of a short convo with him :)...oh yeah I managed to get 3 touches of that Beachball lol
  • what a great story...I love this stuff :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Nice story! :D Now you just need to get your step son his own 10 club membership!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    To Eddie and PJ
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my stepson’s first concert such an amazing experience. Marcus was the little kid who was holding the G’day from Yallingup sign in front of Jeff, on the rail at the Perth show. (He also punched an Australia Beach ball complete with messages up on stage and sorry Jeff, it almost hit you. Very well palmed over your head.) You asked him his age and you asked after to make sure he was OK and that he was safe. During this time his image appeared on the video screens and the crowd let rip with a huge cheer. You then flicked him a plectrum and made sure it got to him. He also managed to get one of Mike’s.

After the show dozens and dozens of people congratulated him, shook his hand, gave him hi-5s, honked their car horns and referred to him as the 12 year old Pearl Jam kid. Even during breakfast in our hotel, people were recognising him and congratulating him. The drive back down here from Perth was filled with talk about the night. He is still floating on cloud nine and presently on the phone telling his real dad about it. He is the most famous kid in the South West at this time. You now have another devoted fan in Yallingup/Dunsborough.

I was present at LA for shows 3 and 4 and have been at every other Perth gig and this moment topped everything I have seen previously – and I’ve seen you guys do some amazing shows.
    Pearl Jam have given me so much over the years, thank you for now giving my stepson a great start in his love of live rock n roll.

I hope to see you again in Melbourne and/or Sydney before you leave our country – you’re always welcome back.

Paul, this is very cool! Thanks for sharing :D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • you sound like a great step dad. keep up the good work!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    zenith wrote:
    well done 8-)

i wanted to bring him along again this time too - but i thought only being 13 that GA might be a bit much for him

This was my wife's concern, but I felt pretty good about this GA, but I knew he had to be against the rail with a couple of strong people around him.

As it turned out, the it was 10c members all around us, at least a handfull of rows back (and then some). We all respected each other, did not bump or push each other, rocked out with a bit of personal space,. it was unlike any pit i've been in before.Springsteens was similar - just had another gneration older present. Where i was, people did their best by each other. From what I could see looking back was that it seemed to be pretty full on about 10 metres back and I have read stories of a few dicks back there, but on the whole it was nothing like the pits of the 90s. If you could get him up front and agasint the rail, he'd be fine

see, youve got me thinking now (really ive been thinking about if all along, just worried about him) - i told him about your boy last night, and he said 'i knew eddie would do that!' so i told him this morning id starting thinking if i could get hold of another 10c tkt perhaps he could go ... BUT, theyd be lots of waiting in the sun, lots of boring parts before we got in, lots of people lots of ..... of course the smile on his face nearly knocked me out 8-)
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Episode 14 is up now Live from Perth maybe they got a shot of you and your boy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pearljamtourtv

Thanks for sharing your story, that was very cool! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Yes, that is him at 2:19 and 2:26, plus our beachball in the crowd :)

Actually you can see him hanging over the rail at 5:49

What a show - they HAVE to do a dvd!! :)
  • zenith wrote:

see, youve got me thinking now (really ive been thinking about if all along, just worried about him) - i told him about your boy last night, and he said 'i knew eddie would do that!' so i told him this morning id starting thinking if i could get hold of another 10c tkt perhaps he could go ... BUT, theyd be lots of waiting in the sun, lots of boring parts before we got in, lots of people lots of ..... of course the smile on his face nearly knocked me out 8-)

Do it mate!

When I told Marcus I was going to try to get to the Sydney and Melbourne shows, he begged me to take him as well. He is more than willing to line up all day to see them again. Shame I just can't afford to take the whole family over east.

The anticipation on his face at 2:26 on the pearljamtour.tv site video is awesome. The look on his face when he saw it this morning was priceless. He's gone off to school, busting to tell everyone about the experience. He slept in his Perth PJ Eagles t-shirt last night. Someone has contacted me saying they will email me a pic of his image on the big video screens - he is dying to get it.

As Eddie said in LA before Chris Cornell came up on stage, sometimes the presence of one person makes something a really special occasion. Well, for me, taking Marcus to this gig and having Eddie spot him made this a very special occasion for our family. We're forever in Pearl Jam's debt. I'm so choked up just thinking about it and the joy he got from it. I hope PJ are still going when my 3 year old daugher is old enough.