Options

100 Things Restaurant Staffers Should Never Do (Parts 1 & 2)

2»

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I make it a regular habit to leave a minimum of 20%... regardless if it's the roadside diner or the restaurant at the Ritz Carlton. I know and have known many waitresses and understand what they have to deal with. People can be real assholes and cheap ass mother fuckers, too.
    There have been a couple of occasions where I had to leave, before the meal even got to the table... but, waiting for almost an hour for a burger and Buffalo Chicken wings to get to our table... we just ran out of time and had to leave. No tip, because no meal. Sorry.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    whatever happened to 15% tip being customary years ago?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    whatever happened to 15% tip being customary years ago?
    I think it's still in place.
    I just do it because having dated waitresses in the past... I know what they have to deal with. Some for their regular customers are cool... but, some are real assholes. The people who just pop in are wildcards... never know if they will tip you 15%, 10%, 3% or 15 cents.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    I had a couple leave me ZERO on a $200 ticket on Saturday. After taking up my table for 2 and a half hours, they left the credit card slip with a measly $30 written in and then scratched it out before they left. I've been playing it over and over in my mind and can't figure out what went wrong. We brought that stupid bitch a napkin and bandaid when she bit her nail and made her finger bleed. I offered to let them taste the wine before they paid $12 a glass and they ended up enjoying it so much they bought the two glasses (that I poured EXTREMELY heavy) plus a bottle! I was careful not to drop the check off too early & make them feel rushed and in fact before I totaled their bill, I asked if they'd like another glass of dessert wine and that cow said yes! Refilled their coffee, warned them we were brewing another pot and it would take a bit and they left me jack shit!
    Fuckers!!!!
    Funny thing is, the next day, in my boss' office, I noticed that he had written down their name, number and amount of the bill. I'm pretty sure he was going to call them and ask what happened. What a great guy! I even remember him talking to them in the middle of their meal and they were telling him how much they loved everything.
    :shock: he's gonna call them????? That's sooooooooooo wrong on sooooooooooooo many levels! You did your job, well done! Shit happens, maybe your boss could give you a percentage of the huge profit he made instead, if he's such a good guy and feels so bad about it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    milarso wrote:

Because if you are going to go to a restaurant and sit at a table for two and a half hours and run a up a $200 bill, you should probably be leaving 20% gratuity...

thank you, that's how I feel about it. I took very good care of those people. My boss said he hasn't been able to get ahold of them yet and I said - "don't worry about it, they probably meant to leave cash but they drank one and a half bottles of wine and 3 glasses of dessert wine and they forgot."
    He said, "I think it's something more than that. I feel like it was the wife that scratched out the tip." Almost as if she was jealous or something. LIke I was hitting on her husband, maybe? I wasn't of course, but maybe with 5 glasses of wine under your belt you read into things the wrong way
    :? maybe reading a bit too much into it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    It irritates me when they bring me coffee and disappear. I want cream and sugar and a spoon. By the time I get their attention, my coffee is cold and I am pissed cuz I wanted to drink the coffee.

One time when I was a waitress, I did put more coffee in a customer's cup. He was looking at the newspaper and he didn't know I did it. So, he thought the coffee was cooled off and took a big gulp. He let out a scream and I realized what I did. He turned all red, couldn't speak. I got him cold water to drink and kept apologizing. I felt so bad. he was kind about it. After that, I never gave anyone a refill wihtout asking and them responding. Some people would get mad at me for that. I'd ask if they'd like more coffee qand they wouldn't say anything, so I asked until I got an answer. Some got an attitude. Too bad. I wasn't going to burn anyone again.

I wouldn't touch glasses and siverware by the part they eat from when giving it to them or when taking it away, that's gross both ways.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    hinx wrote:
    Having managed a fine-dining restaurant, most of this stuff seems pretty standard to me. At Applebee's or whatever this kind of stuff doesn't matter but if you're dropping $100+ a head on dinner, this list is the minimum of what one should expect from their server.

Yeah, I was going to say obviously you don't expect this from Chili's, but at a 4 or 5 star place you should.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    :shock: he's gonna call them????? That's sooooooooooo wrong on sooooooooooooo many levels! You did your job, well done! Shit happens, maybe your boss could give you a percentage of the huge profit he made instead, if he's such a good guy and feels so bad about it.

I was surprised when I found out he was going to call them, but at the same time, this is his restaurant & if I did something to warrant not getting a tip, he deserves to know. Of course, if they were to say "oh she was terrible" then he would be able to say, "hmmm.... why didn't you mention that midway through your meal when you told me everything was great?"
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.