Still don't know if I like Johnny Guitar.

rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
edited November 2009 in The Porch
anyone else still on the fence about this song?

can't say it's bad, but can't say it's good. it's just kinda there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

I still like it, but not as much as I did when I first heard it. I def like studio version more than live.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

pretty much exactly how i feel. it's not awful, but it never really seems to come together. somethings' missing.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I like it - first kind of dirty song they've done- I like it the more I hear it
    its different
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    this is the one I did not care for from the first listen, but it, as most PJ songs do, grew on me big time and I totally enjoyed it live. Musically, I think it's fantastic.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    DS114969 wrote:

I still like it, but not as much as I did when I first heard it. I def like studio version more than live.

Really?

That song kicked ASS live. I think its the best sounding one live, and its the only one I thought wouldn't sound good live.

edit: just remembered how the fixer sounded.... thats a big NVM.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • It's my least favorite on Backsapcer but not horrible. Unfortunately it's even less impressive live IMO.
  • Diggy381Diggy381 Posts: 165
    this is the one I did not care for from the first listen, but it, as most PJ songs do, grew on me big time and I totally enjoyed it live. Musically, I think it's fantastic.
    +1

Most of the last few albums had to "grow" on me before I really enjoyed them. Backspacer is the first one in quite a while that took no time at all before I was in love with it. Johnny Guitar was one of the last songs that I came around to and now I find that is gets stuck in my head quite frequently.
  • One of those songs really, good tune, really good lyrics, and its decently catchy, it just has no structure, nothing really special about it either. And its way too short and it fades out at the end. Had a lot of more potential, but Im sure the band is really satisfied with it.
  • One of those songs really, good tune, really good lyrics, and its decently catchy, it just has no structure, nothing really special about it either. And its way too short and it fades out at the end. Had a lot of more potential, but Im sure the band is really satisfied with it.

i love his singign in the verses, and the way he kind of says the last line in a verse. It's a bit irreverent, it's not real structured but that's ok, it seems to fit the song. I like it.
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin
  • It's my least favorite on Backsapcer but not horrible.

that's how I feel about force of nature. it's not bad but it's not real memorable. but i've only had the Cd for two days so i'll give it time.

- Ben Franklin
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    you'll come around...Johnny Guitar kicks ass, especially the bass line and drum parts, with the way Ed sings it over the top...damn geniuses
    Dancing in irreverence
  • RJNadge4 wrote:
    you'll come around...Johnny Guitar kicks ass, especially the bass line and drum parts, with the way Ed sings it over the top...damn geniuses
    that's what I like. they seem to really have had fun making this album.

- Ben Franklin
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    JG is one of my favorites on the album.

And I think it kicks ass live. Hopefully it takes the place of Unemployable as a mid-set staple
  • MayDay10 wrote:

And I think it kicks ass live. Hopefully it takes the place of Unemployable as a mid-set staple

yeah, i'm nto a big fan of unemployable. While I like the last album overall, i think it had too much filler on it. felt the same way about riot act. Backspacer may be short, but there is no filler on it, just one good song after another. even the ones that aren't my favorite are still good songs.

- Ben Franklin
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    yeah, i'm nto a big fan of unemployable. While I like the last album overall, i think it had too much filler on it. felt the same way abnout riot act. Backspacer may be short, but there is no filler on it. i like that.
    Yea, there are a couple of songs on Avocado that just suck the energy right out of the album (Unemployable is one of them). BS is just strong end to end, IMO, including Johnny Guitar.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    RJNadge4 wrote:
    that's what I like. they seem to really have had fun making this album.

me too. and it shows - they are having the most fun I've ever seen them having - particular live, they are so animated, passionate and careless...keep it up boys. cheers!
    Dancing in irreverence
  • anyone else still on the fence about this song?

pretty much exactly how i feel. it's not awful, but it never really seems to come together. somethings' missing.
    Good description. After many listens I really like this album but that song just hasn't grown on me.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    I usually love their fun songs (U, Gremmie, etc.) but can't get into Johnny G. It's Ed's vocal delivery and the awkward lyrics.. A really hard song to sing along to, and PJ is a real sing along kind of band. The music is pretty cool though.
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Not on the fence at all, I love this song, 2nd favorite of mine off BP after Got Some.
  • I didn't like this one at first, but the more I listen, the more I really love it. It's kind of awkward to sing along to, but once you master it, it rocks. :D
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Probably my least favorite on Backspacer right now. That doesn't mean I don't like it. It just doesn't do that much for me. The novelty of it has worn off and I can take it or leave it now.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Wasn't that fussed at first, but it grew on me and I really like it now. But I'm not that fussed about Supersonic at the mo, I'll give it time.
  • Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    The only song I skipped for quite a while...just recently, after hearing it live a couple of times, I´m starting to like it...
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • I will never get sick of Johnny Guitar
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    One of those songs really, good tune, really good lyrics, and its decently catchy, it just has no structure, nothing really special about it either. And its way too short and it fades out at the end. Had a lot of more potential, but Im sure the band is really satisfied with it.

i love his singign in the verses, and the way he kind of says the last line in a verse. It's a bit irreverent, it's not real structured but that's ok, it seems to fit the song. I like it.

My thoughts exactly!! Really love the way he sings the last line of the verse. Awesome song. My favourite off the album at the moment,
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    ceska wrote:
    I usually love their fun songs (U, Gremmie, etc.) but can't get into Johnny G. It's Ed's vocal delivery and the awkward lyrics.. A really hard song to sing along to, and PJ is a real sing along kind of band. The music is pretty cool though.

yea it is hard to sing along to. i still can't remember the words and i like the song. and the best part of the song is at the very end..awwww yea
  • When I heard the 30 second snippets I wasn't sure I would like the song. But I just love it! My most played Backspacer song, though not my favorite.

It's fun to sing along to it and the music and bass line in the middle are spectacular!
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • ceska wrote:

yea it is hard to sing along to. i still can't remember the words and i like the song. and the best part of the song is at the very end..awwww yea

on songs like this, I don't even try to learn the words, they just blend in with the music and become part of it. so much of lyrics is the syllables, where they are stressed and how it relates to the beat and rhythm of the music. but there are some songs like The End or just breathe, where the actual words are half the experience. I couldn't enjoy the song as much if I didn't know the words and could sing along. there's so much emotion there.

- Ben Franklin
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    MayDay10 wrote:

really? unemployable doesn't get much live play at all.
  • I think its alright...I love the new album but this is one I sometimes skip.