Options

Why Mansfield I Will Be Legendary

joshua3800joshua3800 Posts: 46
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Some people dont amdit it being an epic show, but i differ.

Manfield I be remmebered which is why it wa sbtter than MSG I OR II OR HARTFORD OR LAST NIGHT.. AND I WA STHERE FOR ALL OF THEM

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcB7vgwb2t8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    LMAO.

A betterman sing a long will separate this from the other shows. It's like this everywhere.

Granted it sounded THAT loud because of the way the place is set up. It's an AMPHITHEATER.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    that was an unforgettable moment. i was glad eddie didn't let the audience do it a second night, it makes the one time more special :)
  • Options
    LMAO.

A betterman sing a long will separate this from the other shows. It's like this everywhere.

Granted it sounded THAT loud because of the way the place is set up. It's an AMPHITHEATER.

I'm guessing you weren't there. This video is good but doesn't quite capture what it was like. You can't see the band's faces or hear just how loud it was.

Ive seen betterman several times and it is absolutely not like that everywhere
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    I'm guessing you weren't there. This video is good but doesn't quite capture what it was like. You can't see the band's faces or hear just how loud it was.

I was not there, and I guess it's me being ignorant. It was incredibly loud, I can almost feel how loud it was. Im just sick of everyone saying this was better, no this is what puts it over the top.. U HAD FUN, U EXPERIENCED GREAT THINGS.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options

agreed

it's not like that anywhere. the crowd took over, the video does it no justice, maybe the boot will
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    night II was better
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    night II was better

i absolutely agree, but night 1's betterman will be hard to match
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    50 seconds of insane cheering doesn't make a show legendary.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,180
    Now I wished they played Betterman MSG 1, that place was buzzing all night

Original poster: dont know if u were at Hartford, you sound like someone who assumed it would be an in between show, and it turned out to be magical

EDIT: I need to read further, u were there. Still u think it was better than Hartford? It seems a tough one to top
  • Options
    tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    Never seen or heard anything like this during a live show, Pearl Jam or any other band...To say this wasnt one of the most memorable moments in Pearl Jam touring history is simply ignorant. The reaction of the band was just incredible, they were shocked and it was great to see this from the crowd. The band does so much for its fan base and it was just memorable to see the appreciation/bond/relationship whatever youd like to call it shine between the band and the fans.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    It was my favorite moment of that show for sure, I will admit that but I don't think it makes the show "epic"...
  • Options
    tlynch21tlynch21 Posts: 10
    I have never been one of those regional die-hards, but here in Boston area we are truly blessed 2003, vote 4 change, 06, this year. June 11, 2003 was by far and away the best show of my life, the acoustic set was magic. Like I said I am not that big of a sports fan, and not a regional crazy person, and I don't mean any harm but new yorkers seem kind of bitter toward the great boston shows? Is this just me?
    Boston I 2000
    Boston I & III 2003 Best Ever!!!
    Boston I & II 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Hartford 2006
    Boston I 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Hartford 2008
    Boston I & II 2008
  • Options
    FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Everyone says the shows they were personally at were the best.

In all honesty, all shows are great, but some have a few more special songs or moments or higher energy from the band or fans.

I was at both Camden, both MSG and Hartford. In my opinion, the best was MSG 1 cause the high energy from the band and fans.
    tlynch21 wrote:
    I have never been one of those regional die-hards, but here in Boston area we are truly blessed 2003, vote 4 change, 06, this year. June 11, 2003 was by far and away the best show of my life, the acoustic set was magic. Like I said I am not that big of a sports fan, and not a regional crazy person, and I don't mean any harm but new yorkers seem kind of bitter toward the great boston shows? Is this just me?
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • Options
    joshua3800 wrote:

Manfield I be remmebered which is why it wa sbtter than MSG I OR II OR HARTFORD OR LAST NIGHT.. AND I WA STHERE FOR ALL OF THEM

Hartford and Both MSG's were better than Both Mansfields...playing till 11pm curfew is weak. Hartford was a legendary show..I was at all of these. Hartford and Mansfield werent even close in sets...stop being insane.
    "Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    Hartford and Both MSG's were better than Both Mansfields...playing till 11pm curfew is weak. Hartford was a legendary show..I was at all of these. Hartford and Mansfield werent even close in sets...stop being insane.

I don't want to start anything, just my opinion, was at MSG's, Hartford, Mansfield, MSG crowd was best, electric, because it's inside maybe ? whatever, that was my conclusion, it rocked harder than anywhere I have ever been.

Hartford was the most kick ass show for me personally, low expectation, happy to get in on time, lol

all shows kicked ass as usual
    "no more crowbars to my head"
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    Yeah this certainly was nothing like i've ever heard in terms of crowd reaction. being up close i noticed ed smiling and laughing, looking back at matt who was equally as shocked at the reaction to betterman. prolly the defining moment of the show for me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    I don't want to start anything, just my opinion, was at MSG's, Hartford, Mansfield, MSG crowd was best, electric, because it's inside maybe ? whatever, that was my conclusion, it rocked harder than anywhere I have ever been.

Hartford was the most kick ass show for me personally, low expectation, happy to get in on time, lol

all shows kicked ass as usual

yeah I agree...crowd at MSG2 was best I saw this tour...maybe ever...although Boston Night 1 in 2006 was about the same as that show, but Hartford set was the best on this tour and top 3 all time for me of the 14 shows I've seen.
    "Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun
    With no one knowing..."
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    tlynch21 wrote:

I always make sure I catch the boston shows because they are always really amazing...

The cheering by the crowd after the 1st betterman verse seemed like it was a chain reaction it wasn't all at once, meaning people started screaming and cheering and it just built up, which was really cool but I know that a lot of people around me were confused by what was going on and then started screaming because everyone else was screaming, I know myself because I was looking around at everyone while it was happening.
  • Options
    RainemanRaineman Posts: 29
    The video def does not do it justice and theres no way the boot will either. You either experienced it or you didn't and thats the way it is. It's something I will never forget, and at the same time can never describe, such a cool moment.
  • Options
    Panic821Panic821 Posts: 106
    ... but I know that a lot of people around me were confused by what was going on and then started screaming because everyone else was screaming...

there, the mystery of the '50 second applause' revealed.
    my signature.
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    this is a joke...:D

no way....Philly's betterman was better than ur betterman...haha :)
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    We won't know if this tour had a "Legendary" show for years.
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605

I AGREE LINDS! =)
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    Maybe now we should argue which versions of each song were "epic".
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    On2Legs wrote:
    Maybe now we should argue which versions of each song were "epic".

most of my trip was a drug induced blur but I do vividly remember a especially spectacular performance of Rearviewmirror in Washington
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    it was a great moment but that show was not even in the vicinity of epic. in fact, it was middle of the road. i had to make it up to a boston show because of the whole NY vs. boston thing on here and i'll tell you what, mansfield 1 was disappointing given the hype. i absolutely had a blast at the show still but please guys, this was your typical PJ show.
  • Options
    QballQball Posts: 283
    Ok IMO there is no clear cut winner in the 5 shows I went to (NYC-Mansfield). They all were great in there own way and I will buy the boots for every show. With that said, The version of Betterman was the greatest moment I have ever experience at a concert. I've been to over 500 shows and nothing rivals this moment. I am not a big fan of betterman and there are 50 other pearl jam songs I would rather hear. This moment was special. You could feel it. It wasn't set up and you could tell by all the faces in the crowd and by the one on stage. Ed is very appreciative of the fans and he does a great job showing it but this was a moment on a level I have never seen.

I brought my buddy to this show and this was his first Pearl Jam show. He is a huge music fan but he told me that seeing Pearl Jam in Boston was nearly impossible because he could never get a ticket. When he left the venue he told me that he had very high expectations and his experience was above and beyond what he expected. He said that there was no doubt that Pearl Jam was one of the greatest bands ever and he won't miss a show if they ever come back. There is nothing more satisfying than taking a fan for his first show and him walking out with a huge smile on his face. We went to go see his favorite band Sunday night (Black Crowes) in NH and the show was great. Walking out he said that that was one of the best crowes' shows that he has seen and that the Pearl Jam show the night before was still better.
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    snipes824 wrote:
    it was a great moment but that show was not even in the vicinity of epic. in fact, it was middle of the road. i had to make it up to a boston show because of the whole NY vs. boston thing on here and i'll tell you what, mansfield 1 was disappointing given the hype. i absolutely had a blast at the show still but please guys, this was your typical PJ show.

Agreed. That was an amazing moment but I wouldn't classify the show as "legendary". Mansfield III was legendary in '03.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    solat1973solat1973 Posts: 131
    joshua3800 wrote:

This is really funny, mansfield got nothing but 2 short shows, shortest ones of the tour. wow they played wash haven't seen that one before or bee girl. like then never played these ones before..msg will go down as legendary such as Randalls island..oh betterman just retire that song..radio hit
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Betterman live being interrupted by fans drawing attention to themselves like they always do at that point during the song, but it just happened to be louder...nothing special, but glad you guys think it was a legendary moment