PJ has ruined me!

2»

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    edited November 2009
    FY51755 wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    Thats kind of sad really....there is lots of other great music out there and restricting yourself in anyway, even voluntarily, just seems a bit sad to me :cry:

Like...?!

And do not list some band that is not on the radio, because unless you are still a kid and around people who are passionate about music still than it is nearly impossible to discover a new band. So as far as I am concerned, the radio is still shit.

the radio is shit, i never listen to it. i'm not a kid, but all you have to do is go to the other music forum and you'll find tons of great recommendations. i've gotten many good tips from there (gutter twins, mark lanegan, muse, wilco, hold steady), some from girlfriends (brand new, bright eyes, decemberists, ray lamontagne), others from random old friends that also dig music like i do (built to spill, elliott smith, modest mouse), catching a good band at a festival (flaming lips, silversun pickups), opening for pj (mmj, kol), randomly deciding to check out a famous group i never had time to hear before (talking heads, rem, nin), or just going back to rediscover old favorites from hs and see how they've grown (tragically hip, silverchair, oasis). you don't need radio or super trendy friends to find tons of great new music
    Post edited by soulsinging on
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I am as hardcore a PJ fan as you will find, but you gotta have some variety in your musical world!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    to only listen to one band seems pretty silly, and extremely boring
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    nothing NOTHING comes close.
  • the radio is shit, i never listen to it. i'm not a kid, but all you have to do is go to the other music forum and you'll find tons of great recommendations.

took the words outta my mouth.
    it's not impossible to find good new music.
    it's just not on the radio anymore. but it's out there! :)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• i dont only listen to pearl jam, but they have ruined me, i listen to them 90% of the time
    other bands im into incubus, foo fighters, stp, alterbridge, korn, a7x, nin anything cornell etc but pearl jam stays in constant rotation and are always putting out some sort of music, or touring etc, they dont disappear for 2yrs like other bands
  • wow.
    i LOVE pearl jam.
    truly.
    completely.

but there is just NO way i could ever limit myself to listen to them and only them. sure, i go thru phases of listening to them a LOT, but i have those same phases with other artists/bands. in fact, i can go a really, really long time and not listen to pearl jam at all. still love em. always will. and most especially LIVE. there is PLENTY of awesome music out there to listen to, i will never tire of my favorites. idk much about a lot of new music, but i am always open to listening. radio however, is usually shit and i avoid that almost always.

BinFrog wrote:
    I am as hardcore a PJ fan as you will find, but you gotta have some variety in your musical world!

i'd say that holds true for just about everything, and maybe everything...if you're open to that kinda thing...;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• zootownzootown Posts: 666
    the radio is shit, i never listen to it. i'm not a kid, but all you have to do is go to the other music forum and you'll find tons of great recommendations.

took the words outta my mouth.
    it's not impossible to find good new music.
    it's just not on the radio anymore. but it's out there! :)

You know, mainstream radio is mostly shit, but I have to say I enjoy the college station here in Missoula, and I have definitely become introduced to new music by listening on a regular basis....
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    For me it usually is PJ 75% of the time....

With all these new boots available it has been 90% lately....and I´m guessing it will be well into the next year....
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • PEARL JAM
    THE DOORS
    THE WHO
    LED ZEPPELIN

...and god said: ¨Let there be GREATNESS¨... 8-)
    From Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    I'm the same as most people on this thread, maybe listen to pj about 70-80% of the time mostly boots, and there is fazes where they're all i listen too.
    but its true there is a lot of great music out there - old and new, and its good to keep in touch with that. i just got the new slayer, and thats a good album if your into that music.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    BinFrog wrote:

i'd say that holds true for just about everything, and maybe everything...if you're open to that kinda thing...;)

ain't that the truth. do these people eat the same set of meals every day of their lives too?
  • BinFrog wrote:

ain't that the truth. do these people eat the same set of meals every day of their lives too?

right?
    i have my favorites in just about every category...but even amongst those faves, i like to mix em up...and sure, open to discovering new faves as well.

variety IS the spice of life.

that cliche did not pop up outta nowhere.
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    JaneNY wrote:
    anyone came name a bunch but who tours regularly or are even still alive?

for me the majority of the music i listen to the band has to be still in existence and have done anything in the last 5yrs i dont have much intrest in ghosts, i did but its hard when you cant see them live or the band has broken up, just me

NIN (toured eternally until 2 months ago), AFI, Flogging Molly, Street Dogs, Springsteen, Saul Williams,.... plenty of decent bands out there who are touring.

I love Pearl Jam. I will ALWAYS love Pearl Jam. But its okay to like other stuff too, and I do. I doubt even Pearl Jam would want you to limit yourself to only them. They love other music too.

speaking of flogging molly, they are headed to Chicago next march.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • arq wrote:
    I don't havbe time to listen to other bands, between NPR and Pearl Jam i have pretty much my listening schedule full :ugeek:

too true. :D
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm loving me some Michael Franti lately, along with the Dead Weather, Cage the Elephant and Wolfmother.
  • mike franti good stuff, just got new wolfmother really like that one too. i go in phases, tour time nonstop pearl jam, same when new album comes out. but then again lot of good musicians out there. but pjam is my favorite.
  • galdog23 wrote:
    mike franti good stuff, just got new wolfmother really like that one too. i go in phases, tour time nonstop pearl jam, same when new album comes out. but then again lot of good musicians out there. but pjam is my favorite.

Exact same for me...Pearl Jam is most definitely my favorite band. And when a new album comes out or it's tour time...all I listen to is Pearl Jam, nonstop. I am still in post tour mode and am still listening to nothing but Pearl Jam. I start at the first album and go to the most recent...with all the bootlegs mixed in. haha or I usually get stuck on an album for a while, right now it's No Code. But I usually then go back to listening to a lot of other good bands...always keep Pearl Jam mixed in though. Obviously, no band has ever had the influence Pearl Jam has had on me, nothing compares to Pearl Jam <3
    I miss you alreddie.
  • BeeGirl86 wrote:
    But I usually then go back to listening to a lot of other good bands...always keep Pearl Jam mixed in though.

that reminds me........
    see i can't do that. if i hear one pj song it's over. gotta hear em all! i'm like that with no other music.
    :lol:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*