Pearl Jam "worst taste in music"

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited November 2009 in The Porch
This has nothing to do with all of you are probably thinking. This is a story of what happened to me today at school while working.

I was working in the student lounge at one of the regional campuses of UConn and I was on YouTube watching some videos. I started off with some White Stripes and then our favorite, Pearl Jam. I was watching Alive and Even Flow from Reading 2006. As the solo of Even Flow comes on, a kid comes up to the computer and says, "What the fuck are you listening to?" So he goes around the desk and looks at the computer and says, "You have the worst taste in music." How the hell does he say Pearl Jam sucks?

My music taste:
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
The Who
Radiohead
The White Stripes/The Raconteurs/The Dead Weather
Jimi Hendrix
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
RATM

The kids taste:
Breaking Benjamin
Three Days Grace
New Found Glory
and a bunch of other shit
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    i had a similar thing happen to me. i was talking about pj with my wife on a line in target, and i kid maybe 15 said they suck. i said Oh Really, what bands do you like, distured, korn, chevelle, other shit, i just said come talk to me when all of your zits are gone. and ask your father about music, u have a lot to learn
  • afaridafarid Posts: 177
    Kindly tell those kids to go F**K themselves.
    Toronto 03, 05, 06, 09
    Montreal 03, 05
    Kitchener 03
    Ottawa 05
    New Jersey 06
    Chicago 07
    Washington DC 08
    NYC 08
    EDDIE 08
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Haha love it! It's that stuff he's into also. I thank my father and cousins for showing me good music. My father got me into The Beatles before I was 5 and two of my cousins got me into Pearl Jam and the White Stripes at 15. I'm 18 now and kids today don't know good rock music at all. It's a shame.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    afarid wrote:
    Kindly tell those kids to go F**K themselves.

Will do.
  • satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,139
    my ex girlfriend just told me that shes starting to like pearl jam

oh god no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Hopefully he compliments ur right hook after you knock his teeth out.
  • loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    Newch91 wrote:
    This has nothing to do with all of you are probably thinking. This is a story of what happened to me today at school while working.

I was working in the student lounge at one of the regional campuses of UConn and I was on YouTube watching some videos. I started off with some White Stripes and then our favorite, Pearl Jam. I was watching Alive and Even Flow from Reading 2006. As the solo of Even Flow comes on, a kid comes up to the computer and says, "What the fuck are you listening to?" So he goes around the desk and looks at the computer and says, "You have the worst taste in music." How the hell does he say Pearl Jam sucks?

My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory

I had a similar experience in my Biology Class last week. Some guy working at the table across from me is talking to his friend and says something about Pearl Jam being "The gayest band ever." I almost bashed his freakin' face in. I guess he could see I was super angry and got pretty scared. He rescinded his comment, but it was still lame. Heck, I hate it when people use the term "gay" as derogatory, although that's for another thread. I guess some people just don't get it. The sad thing is that there are a lot of people who WOULD like Pearl Jam who write them off as a big corporate band because of "Even Flow" and popular songs. I can't tell you how many times I've surprised my Radiohead-listening friends with the knowledge that, yes, Pearl Jam makes amazing records. One of my good friends would never have discovered PJ if i hadn't told him to give Vitalogy a chance. He thanks me profusely quite often now :)

Then there is the other side, the people who listen to easy pop, who don't get the idea of songs growing on you. "If I can't listen to it the first time and love it, it's not worth listening to again" is a pretty common attitude. I'm lucky that I'm not one of those people, I would be missing out on a lot of great music, like No Code. I can't tell you how freaked out I was by it the first time. Off He Goes and Around the Bend just seemed to drag on forever, In My Tree was confusing, and I'm Open was just plain weird. A lot of people will leave records at that, unfortunately, but I was able to give it another chance, and boy did it pay off! No Code is my favorite record of all time, with Vitalogy, a similar story, coming in close behind.

However, there is probably still hope for your misguided classmate! Pearl Jam, i believe, has a song that everyone can like, even if you hate the rest of their catalogue. I'm sure he'll enjoy something if you just convince him to give PJ a chance.
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • Newch91 wrote:

LOL!!! :lol::lol:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    Mcam55 wrote:

Did that to a kid in Middle School for saying Pearl Jam sucked. Didn't knock out his teeth, but gave him a good black eye.
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    those motherfuckers..excuse me, those kids, are gonna be listening to Pearl Jam when they "grow up".
    shit I used to listen to Simple Minds and OMD before I moved on to Led Zep, Clash, etc.
    PJ = future classic rock!
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Newch91 wrote:
    Mcam55 wrote:

Did that to a kid in Middle School for saying Pearl Jam sucked. Didn't knock out his teeth, but gave him a good black eye.

haha, awesome. Maybe its the same kid.
  • JoerockJoerock Posts: 129
    loopjd wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory

I had a similar experience in my Biology Class last week. Some guy working at the table across from me is talking to his friend and says something about Pearl Jam being "The gayest band ever." I almost bashed his freakin' face in. I guess he could see I was super angry and got pretty scared. He rescinded his comment, but it was still lame. Heck, I hate it when people use the term "gay" as derogatory, although that's for another thread. I guess some people just don't get it. The sad thing is that there are a lot of people who WOULD like Pearl Jam who write them off as a big corporate band because of "Even Flow" and popular songs. I can't tell you how many times I've surprised my Radiohead-listening friends with the knowledge that, yes, Pearl Jam makes amazing records. One of my good friends would never have discovered PJ if i hadn't told him to give Vitalogy a chance. He thanks me profusely quite often now :)

Then there is the other side, the people who listen to easy pop, who don't get the idea of songs growing on you. "If I can't listen to it the first time and love it, it's not worth listening to again" is a pretty common attitude. I'm lucky that I'm not one of those people, I would be missing out on a lot of great music, like No Code. I can't tell you how freaked out I was by it the first time. Off He Goes and Around the Bend just seemed to drag on forever, In My Tree was confusing, and I'm Open was just plain weird. A lot of people will leave records at that, unfortunately, but I was able to give it another chance, and boy did it pay off! No Code is my favorite record of all time, with Vitalogy, a similar story, coming in close behind.

However, there is probably still hope for your misguided classmate! Pearl Jam, i believe, has a song that everyone can like, even if you hate the rest of their catalogue. I'm sure he'll enjoy something if you just convince him to give PJ a chance.

I was never able to like Pearl Jam on my first listening attempts. Now there is no greater band to me.
    2006 - Washington D.C.
    2010 - Bristow, VA
    2013 - Charlottesville, VA
    loopjd wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory

Yes I agree 100%! I'm an album guy and I love the deep cuts with songs like "Present Tense" and "In My Tree". No Code actually took me a while to listen to and also Binaural. I was so used to the early records and when I heard No Code, I said to myself, "They're really going to test me on this album." I love that album, but not as much as Yield. Also, it was the incredible solo on Even Flow that I was watching when he said that. I took it personally with him saying my taste sucks and mad at him also.

Yes we can leave gay at that. Won't even get into it. I've also got a few friends into Pearl Jam and they love them. Vitalogy usually does the trick for people. I've tried to get my father into them, but he only likes the big hits and "Low Light" and "In Hiding".
    Newch91 wrote:

LOL!!! :lol::lol:

Thank you. That's what I consider his music.
  • Similar thing happened to me, i was sitting in my art class and we were talking about music, and a kid in my class was in my speech class the year before, in which I did an amazing speech on Pearl Jam, with this video as an intro to the speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3Mg2aoNMk). But anways, Im doing an Eddie Vedder carving on a sheet of linoleum, with Eddie playing the guitar, Stickman in the back, with Pearl Jam carved out below him. Anyways, the kid got really mad cuz someone was talking shit to him, and he started going off on everything, and he the only comeback he could come up for me was "Dude, all you do is listen to that band Pearl Jam." I literally just laughed and and told him your loss. I dont know why people shun Pearl Jam when they see them. They just shake them off as some band from the 90s.

Sucks to be in high school when 98% of the student body listens to Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus and the other 2% listen to Nirvana.
  • stupid fuckin kids. all they know is what mtv and vh1 tell them. If u want to change this teach them. Also if P Jam is gay then im sir elton john and my boyfriend is freddy mercury( which by the way are 2 amazing musicans).
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    yeah im a sophmore in college and get some much shit for liking pearl jam(mostly just from my friends cause they know im obsessed) but then if i meet someone who has seen them live the response i get the most is just "eddie was so drunk" and alot of times i was at the show too and didnt notice it.
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Newch91 wrote:

My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory

I like his taste just as much as yours.
    TDR
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    edited November 2009
    Newch91 wrote:
    My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana

Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory
    i think your musical taste sucks too :lol:

at the end of the day you need to realize...everybody is entitled to their own opinion on music
    Post edited by gndcd402 on
  • Similar thing happened to me, i was sitting in my art class and we were talking about music, and a kid in my class was in my speech class the year before, in which I did an amazing speech on Pearl Jam, with this video as an intro to the speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3Mg2aoNMk). But anways, Im doing an Eddie Vedder carving on a sheet of linoleum, with Eddie playing the guitar, Stickman in the back, with Pearl Jam carved out below him. Anyways, the kid got really mad cuz someone was talking shit to him, and he started going off on everything, and he the only comeback he could come up for me was "Dude, all you do is listen to that band Pearl Jam." I literally just laughed and and told him your loss. I dont know why people shun Pearl Jam when they see them. They just shake them off as some band from the 90s.

Sucks to be in high school when 98% of the student body listens to Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus and the other 2% listen to Nirvana.

i know what your saying. kids are always saying how Pearl Jam sucks, or Even Flow is their best song. Also kids mock Eddie Vedder by mumbling words or singing in a lower octave, saying he is a terrible singer. My usual response is " go home and listen to Release, come back and tell me Eddie Vedder cant sing". It just angers me that people are so ignorant and say that Pearl Jam suck when all they have heard from them is Even Flow or Alive
  • gndcd402 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana

Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory
    you don't like rage or jack white? boo.
    Similar thing happened to me, i was sitting in my art class and we were talking about music, and a kid in my class was in my speech class the year before, in which I did an amazing speech on Pearl Jam, with this video as an intro to the speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3Mg2aoNMk). But anways, Im doing an Eddie Vedder carving on a sheet of linoleum, with Eddie playing the guitar, Stickman in the back, with Pearl Jam carved out below him. Anyways, the kid got really mad cuz someone was talking shit to him, and he started going off on everything, and he the only comeback he could come up for me was "Dude, all you do is listen to that band Pearl Jam." I literally just laughed and and told him your loss. I dont know why people shun Pearl Jam when they see them. They just shake them off as some band from the 90s.

i know what your saying. kids are always saying how Pearl Jam sucks, or Even Flow is their best song. Also kids mock Eddie Vedder by mumbling words or singing in a lower octave, saying he is a terrible singer. My usual response is " go home and listen to Release, come back and tell me Eddie Vedder cant sing". It just angers me that people are so ignorant and say that Pearl Jam suck when all they have heard from them is Even Flow or Alive

or Last Kiss
    edited November 2009
    snipes824 wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    My music taste:
    The Beatles
    Led Zeppelin
    Pearl Jam
    The Who
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Nirvana

Foo Fighters
    RATM

The kids taste:
    Breaking Benjamin
    Three Days Grace
    New Found Glory
    you don't like rage or jack white? boo.

Yes I do. I just put all three Jack White bands together. I'm a huge fan of him. And I love Rage. RATM = Rage Against the Machine. Just in case you didn't know. ;)

EDIT: Read it wrong. Wasn't pointed at me. Feel like an idiot.
    Post edited by Newch91 on
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Similar thing happened to me, i was sitting in my art class and we were talking about music, and a kid in my class was in my speech class the year before, in which I did an amazing speech on Pearl Jam, with this video as an intro to the speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3Mg2aoNMk). But anways, Im doing an Eddie Vedder carving on a sheet of linoleum, with Eddie playing the guitar, Stickman in the back, with Pearl Jam carved out below him. Anyways, the kid got really mad cuz someone was talking shit to him, and he started going off on everything, and he the only comeback he could come up for me was "Dude, all you do is listen to that band Pearl Jam." I literally just laughed and and told him your loss. I dont know why people shun Pearl Jam when they see them. They just shake them off as some band from the 90s.

or Last Kiss

Yep
  • i converted 2 friends who listen to metal, 1 friend that listens to country, and 1 that listens to classic rock into liking Pearl Jam.

my bud that likes metal said that the into the wild soundtrack is the greatest solo album of all time. and my friend who is into classic rock after listening to just breathe said "i dont get how anyone cant like them". that made my day :D
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • See, I would argue that Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc. etc. do not constitute "music." Those performers/entertainers are more about stage show, dancing, entourage, whatever than they are about music.

In my opinion, not that anyone asked, good music can withstand the acoustic test. Does it still sound great when performed by one person and an acoustic guitar? Then it's good music. [Great example, not that anyone asked: acoustic tracks performed by Bob Marley - mesmerizing.] Good music also gets better over time. Every time I listen to the Clash, I like them more.

I'm old, so I'll go ahead and admit I have no idea who the performers the OP mentioned are (New Found Glory -- I think I've heard of them). Our radio reception is crap, so when I do listen to music at home, which is rarely, I put on XM/Sirius and listen to Lithium. I do not have time to sit around and wait to learn who is performing which song, you know?

I've never chosen music based on what other people think. I have been crazy about the Church for some twenty-five years now; I could not get enough of them when I was in high school, and everyone else was listening to the "Purple Rain" soundtrack (ask your parents), but frankly I did not give a rat's ass what anyone else thought. That band got me through some tough years. I listen to what appeals to me, because on my planet, musical taste is not a fashion statement.

Having said all that, I'll admit that I was no fan of PJ when grunge was huge. I was listening to Nirvana instead, and I was so sick of the "Jeremy" video that I was ready to throw my television out the window. "Vitalogy" was the album that got my attention. STBC was a great departure from the sound of "Jeremy," and I really respected that.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Too true. I was so psyched to tell everyone I knew about the awesome night I had at LA1: http://www.choggymowk.com/2009/10/01/an ... pearl-jam/ (I will never, in all my years, top THAT)

But instead I got a lot of "Who's Pearl Jam?" and "That's cool I guess." For one girl I know, I had to liken it to her getting on stage and singing with Miley Cyrus for her to truly understand the significance of what had just happened! Oh, well...
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • loopjd wrote:

Too true. I was so psyched to tell everyone I knew about the awesome night I had at LA1: http://www.choggymowk.com/2009/10/01/an ... pearl-jam/ (I will never, in all my years, top THAT)

But instead I got a lot of "Who's Pearl Jam?" and "That's cool I guess." For one girl I know, I had to liken it to her getting on stage and singing with Miley Cyrus for her to truly understand the significance of what had just happened! Oh, well...

WOW!!!!! that is so awesome!!!! im so jealous, i can only imagine what that must have been like. i wouldnt of been able to move, honestly, incredible!!
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 443
    I tend to not give a shit if someone I know likes the band or not. A lot of people around here need to quit getting their panties all twisted when someone says they don't like the band. Its their opinion end of story...
    loopjd wrote:

WOW!!!!! that is so awesome!!!! im so jealous, i can only imagine what that must have been like. i wouldnt of been able to move, honestly, incredible!!

Yeah, it's hard to believe. I look at the tambourine on my wall every day and I'm like "Jeez, that really happened?" Also, though my Dad didn't mention it in his write-up, Mike handed me his pick right as he finished the song, and Eddie gave me one, too! It's crazy, I play guitar and have already sworn never to use them, EVER, because if they broke I would probably die! I also officially have THE BEST facebook profile picture of all time :D

I'm glad I didn't forget the words!
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.