George W. Out Of Office, But Not Forgotten...

edited November 2009 in The Porch
http://www.kathleenedwards.com/blog/wp- ... ooflag.jpg

P.S. Kathleen Edwards is REALLY, REALLY GREAT

OK mods, you can move me now, but everyone knows the PORCH gets the most playing time! ;):)
"No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    edited November 2009

I kind of see what you're trying to get at here. Yes, there are Muslims who kill and commit other atrocities every day. There are also perfectly peaceful Muslims who do not interpret the Koran in the same way the extremists do, who live without harming anyone, not unlike how certain Christians interpret the Bible differently from others. Also, whatever you personally believe in, I can assure you, there are people of your faith that have raped, killed, and stolen. You wouldn't judge your own faith on what some crazy people do, why judge Islam? So, even if Obama magically turns out to be a Muslim ( it seems to me he was citing his heritage for some suck-up points, but I could be wrong), that doesn't mean he wants to convert us all, or brainwash us into suicide bombings, or any of that other stuff that those awful terrorists do (Yes, I don't like them either). I could be interpreting your position wrong, and I don't mean to be rude, that's just how I feel about this.

First politically related post! Woohoo! :)

Edited for spelling
    Post edited by loopjd on
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.

• OH MY GOD! BARACK OBAMA IS A SECRET MUSLIM!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I have good friends that are on both sides of the aisle... one thing I've noticed is that all of them have *slightly* better feelings towards W than they did a year ago which I think can be attributed to Obama's first year.

I'm not saying they miss him, but its funny how a year can soften people's feelings towards someone when the successor isn't exactly hitting home runs either. I guess bottom line - (almost) no one is ever happy with the government in charge.
  • OpenOpen Posts: 792
    Its hard to hit a home run when you're swinging through 8 years of piled up shit...
  • Open wrote:
    Its hard to hit a home run when you're swinging through 8 years of piled up shit...

yeah, Bush has been striking out on the fast ball right down the middle that Clinton threw him (economy wise). Bush then took the mound and threw Obama a nasty slider away (again economy wise)...not even a juiced up slugger can hit that let alone a home run
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Open wrote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 99654.html
    yeah, Bush has been striking out on the fast ball right down the middle that Clinton threw him (economy wise). Bush then took the mound and threw Obama a nasty slider away (again economy wise)...not even a juiced up slugger can hit that let alone a home run
    You do realize Bush came into office with an economy in downturn, right? I mean... if you want to go with the baseball analogy, then you could say Clinton got to the 8th with a nice lead and fell apart in the 9th and Bush came out in relief. It's not like Clinton handed Bush a growing economy.

Bush left with a worse economy, yes, but with the promises Obama made about turning it around he certainly is not delivering what he promised in his first year. There's only a small segment of the population that still believes he has delivered (thus far) - otherwise he'd have an approval rating above the 51-52 he's been at the last month.
  • drsluggo wrote:
    You do realize Bush came into office with an economy in downturn, right? I mean... if you want to go with the baseball analogy, then you could say Clinton got to the 8th with a nice lead and fell apart in the 9th and Bush came out in relief. It's not like Clinton handed Bush a growing economy.

Bush left with a worse economy, yes, but with the promises Obama made about turning it around he certainly is not delivering what he promised in his first year. There's only a small segment of the population that still believes he has delivered (thus far) - otherwise he'd have an approval rating above the 51-52 he's been at the last month.

if i'm not mistaken, Clinton left Bush with a surplus. some breathing room for Bush to work with to make this country even better. what did he do with it? spent it all on a war for no reason, giving America a bad name among many countries and allow big business to thrive and cut corners (causing the economic downturn).

yes he was successful in the fact there wasn't another terrorist attack on American Soil. WOOPDY DOO! The 93 WTC bombings happened at the begining of Clinton's term...guess what, we didn't have another one while Clinton was in office and he didn't have to start a war to prevent it.

EDIT: oh and guess what, with Obama in the white house, America's image has been restored almost 100%, and in order to get anything done, it is important to restore America's image cause then other countries can endorse what we are doing, thus making it easier to get things done
    if i'm not mistaken, Clinton left Bush with a surplus.

EDIT: oh and guess what, with Obama in the white house, America's image has been restored almost 100%, and in order to get anything done, it is important to restore America's image cause then other countries can endorse what we are doing, thus making it easier to get things done
    A surplus and a downturn in the economy are two completely different things. They are so different I can't believe you responded with that. I also can't believe someone who voted for Obama would mention it since that surplus is a bad word when you're spending trillions of deficit dollars.

If you think America's image has been restored anywhere near 100% you are drinking some serious kool-aid. There are a lot of bad feelings still from other countries, and the only way to restore those feelings in that way is to sellout our own country so others think we're "cool" because we do what they want us to do. And at the end of the day, other countries liking us won't get the unemployment rate under 10%, deficits under control, health care fixed, etc, etc.
  • drsluggo wrote:

A surplus and a downturn in the economy are two completely different things. They are so different I can't believe you responded with that. I also can't believe someone who voted for Obama would mention it since that surplus is a bad word when you're spending trillions of deficit dollars.

If you think America's image has been restored anywhere near 100% you are drinking some serious kool-aid. There are a lot of bad feelings still from other countries, and the only way to restore those feelings in that way is to sellout our own country so others think we're "cool" because we do what they want us to do. And at the end of the day, other countries liking us won't get the unemployment rate under 10%, deficits under control, health care fixed, etc, etc.

learn to quote my posts correctly. I said that the surplus was money Bush could have used to make the country better. that includes taking the Clinton "downturn" and fix it. but no bush failed at that
    learn to quote my posts correctly. I said that the surplus was money Bush could have used to make the country better. that includes taking the Clinton "downturn" and fix it. but no bush failed at that
    Your point in noting the surplus was to negate the fact that Bush came in during an economic downturn. The surplus I believe was gone before the war stated in Afghanistan due to the tax cut/tax refund and the fact that tax revenues were down due to the recession. And a surplus can't by itself negate a recession - look at the trillion dollar bailout along with all of the other spending from the last Bush year into Obama's first year and the fact that unemployment has gone up a 3-4 percentage points after it.
    what is the difference between a democrat and a prostitute?

The prostitute gives you value for the money she takes. :P
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    drsluggo wrote:

And GW left Obama with negative surplus, and and even more down turned economy. In fact GM can claim that he started the wheels for the largest bank failure's in US history.

Oh and, Obama NEVER said he could fix the economy in less than a year.

Until Obama invades and starts a war with a county for absolutely no reason at all, he is leaps and strides ahead of the previous administration.

Miss GW....not even kinda.
    You know another thing I am really liking about the Obama administration, the return of SCIENCE!! It's a good thing.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    And GW left Obama with negative surplus, and and even more down turned economy. In fact GM can claim that he started the wheels for the largest bank failure's in US history.

The wheels for the banks failing started when the democratic-controlled congress told freddie and fannie to lend money to people who couldnt pay it back. That provided a foundation of bad loans that just turned into a house of cards. Bush didn't help it, but it was started long before he got in there.

Obama never said in under a year, but he certainly gave the imperssion he could turn it around fast. The waters will recede, light will shine down upon us, etc, etc.

Either way, I'm done with this. THere's a reason I don't go to AMT - no one listens to anyone anyway (I'm guilty of it too!). :)
    drsluggo wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

The wheels for the banks failing started when the democratic-controlled congress told freddie and fannie to lend money to people who couldnt pay it back. That provided a foundation of bad loans that just turned into a house of cards. Bush didn't help it, but it was started long before he got in there.

Obama never said in under a year, but he certainly gave the imperssion he could turn it around fast. The waters will recede, light will shine down upon us, etc, etc.

Either way, I'm done with this. THere's a reason I don't go to AMT - no one listens to anyone anyway (I'm guilty of it too!). :)
    I don't ever recall him saying he could do it fast. Talk about putting words in someone's mouth to try and use against them. I recall understanding that it would take some time, and sacrifice from all. Which we're still doing. No one could have fixed the financial problems our country is in less than a year.

And you are right, politicians on both sides of the aisle contributed to the breakdown of our banking system.

But, it has fallen on the Obama administration to attempt to fix it. And considering how confused McCain was on the subject, I am glad that Obama is in the the White House.
    A man falls off a boat and ends up on an island. After a lot of walking he comes across a shop that specializes in brains.
    Artists' brains $9.00 per ounce
    Philosophers' brains $12.00 per ounce
    Scientists' brains $15.00 per ounce
    Republicans' $19.00 per ounce
    Democrats' brains $2,000 per ounce

After the man reads the prices he says "wow, those democrat brains must be popular."

The shop owner says:

"Are you kidding? Do you know how many democrats you have to kill to get one ounce of brains?"

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo0WlSvrIY&NR=1

connect the dots

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... :b28759115

GANGSTER GOVT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thR-lVuz ... re=related
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    aNiMaL wrote:
    You know another thing I am really liking about the Obama administration, the return of SCIENCE!! It's a good thing.

I still don't know what the hell that means, it didn't make sense when Obama said it and it doesn't make sense now. :roll:
  • theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
    edited November 2009
    what doesn't make sense?

The stem cell reseach ban has been lifted. The administration believes the science behind climate change (unlike the previous one).
    DH62179 wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

I still don't know what the hell that means, it didn't make sense when Obama said it and it doesn't make sense now. :roll:
    Post edited by theboxerorthebag on
  • Oh he's forgotten alright... Now we are one big happy nation where change has come and everything is fixed! :D
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Why do people say that W started a war? Dont people remember 9/11? The guy HAD to do something, would it have been alright for him to sit on his hands and not try to go after whomever was the cause of 9/11? YES... he made mistakes... but Clinton had chances to do the same thing after the USS Cole terror attack and he did nothing (sorry, fired 2 missiles into a tent). Clinton could have prevented 9/11, or atleast distrupted Al Queda a bit. The writing was on the walls and he did nothing. W tried, and we are still trying....
    Chicago (Soldier Field 95), Chicago 98, East Troy 00, Chicago 00, East Troy 03, Chicago 03, St Paul 03, Chicago 06 x 2, Albany 06,Milwaukee 06 x2 Chicago (Grant Park) 07, Chicago (Vic) 07, Chicago 09 x2, Noblesville 10, East Troy PJ20 11 x2...
  • KigityK wrote:
    Why do people say that W started a war? Dont people remember 9/11? The guy HAD to do something, would it have been alright for him to sit on his hands and not try to go after whomever was the cause of 9/11? YES... he made mistakes... but Clinton had chances to do the same thing after the USS Cole terror attack and he did nothing (sorry, fired 2 missiles into a tent). Clinton could have prevented 9/11, or atleast distrupted Al Queda a bit. The writing was on the walls and he did nothing. W tried, and we are still trying....
    The guy had to find Bin Ladin in Afghanistan not start a war in another country.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
    the guy

:crazy:
  • Wow. The ignorance of you Bush-lovers and Obama-haters is staggering.

As for the comment by the guy not getting the "return of science" line... words escape me. Many Republicans don't even believe in evolution. If you're one of them, please don't perform a job where you have to make decisions that will affect other people. You simply aren't intelligent enough.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • KigityK wrote:
    Why do people say that W started a war? Dont people remember 9/11? The guy HAD to do something, would it have been alright for him to sit on his hands and not try to go after whomever was the cause of 9/11? YES... he made mistakes... but Clinton had chances to do the same thing after the USS Cole terror attack and he did nothing (sorry, fired 2 missiles into a tent). Clinton could have prevented 9/11, or atleast distrupted Al Queda a bit. The writing was on the walls and he did nothing. W tried, and we are still trying....

Uh, Bush did sit on his hands for the first 15 minutes or so. Then he did the right thing and went into Afghanistan, then he pissed all that hard work away by shifting everything to another country which had ZERO to do with the 9/11 attacks. Oh yeah, and he was even briefed on the likelihood of Al Qaeda hijacking planes in August of 2001 and dismissed the report. Way to keep us safe, W, heck of a job.

Speaking of doing a heck of a job, the guy couldn't even get bottled water to a major U.S. city for 5 days after a hurricane. I could have walked to New Orleans in 5 days from California.

If you still think W was good for this country, despite the empirical evidence to the contrary, you are just plain wrong, ill-informed, and possibly dumb as a rock.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Same shit, different face.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Hurricane Katrina aftermath was W's fault?... Im not sure I'm as "Dumb as a rock" but if I knew there was a Catagory 5 hurricane coming towards my home and there was ample time to evacuate, I would have. Please dont tell me you would have stayed.
    Fact is, no President is perfect and no political party is either. W has made mistakes and Barak will too, and has. I guess we'll all just have to see what happens in the next few years... but it doesnt look that promising...
    Chicago (Soldier Field 95), Chicago 98, East Troy 00, Chicago 00, East Troy 03, Chicago 03, St Paul 03, Chicago 06 x 2, Albany 06,Milwaukee 06 x2 Chicago (Grant Park) 07, Chicago (Vic) 07, Chicago 09 x2, Noblesville 10, East Troy PJ20 11 x2...
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Not to derail the thread. But I agree with the original poster 100%. Kathleen Edwards is really, really great.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball