Options

Where to stay in Boston?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Looks like it's becoming a Holiday Inn Express: http://www.shawmutinn.com/

I'm going to stay in Mansfield the night of the concert, but am going to spend a few days in Boston. In Boston, will I have to use a parking garage or do some of the hotels have their own parking? I'm trying to work that into budgeting - - if I have to pay $30/day for parking at a small hotel with no parking, I may as well increase my hotel "budget" by $30-$50. Or maybe parking is going to cost me regardless of the hotel I stay at ...

If you stay at a hotel in downtown Boston, expect to pay at least $20 per night in parking. We do a lot of meetings at the Hyatt, Sheraton and Marriott and the cheapest rate for parking we get is $18. That is with reserving 400 rooms. If you are staying for a couple nights, I would plan $100 for parking.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    Don't stay in Boston proper. It's fucking expensive. I'd go with what some others said and stay around Providence. But if you are looking for a decent place to stay, Marlborough (where I'm from) is about 25 miles west of Boston, about 40 min. from Mansfield, and is right on 495, which is clutch for the show, since you take 495 the whole way to Mansfield. Plus, there's a lot of hotels in Marlboro, and they'll be cheaper than what you pay in Boston.

I'm staying in providence about the same drive up to mansfield that boston is down, but im staying here mostly cuz i went to school so im familiar with it
    4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/12/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    Someone help me out here. I've never been to Boston, so I have no idea what area I need to book a hotel in. Distance from the show isn't an issue because I'm renting a car, so really, my trip is going to be based on partying and getting hammered at some fun bars. What part of town should I stay in?

I live about half way between Boston & Providence (a little closer to Boston). If money is an issue, I suggest staying in Providence.

If you're staying in Boston, you really wont want a car. You'll end up spending $60-80 just to keep it parked for the weekend. There are hotels with their own parking, but a decent hotel in Boston will be pricey. The Sox aren't in town so you might catch a deal.

If you stay in Boston you definitely want to get to the show early (really early). Your best bet is either to pay to park just outside the venue, people who live on the main road their turn their yards into satellite parking lots. This way you don't have to wait the 1.5 - 2 hours after the show to get out. Or you can oay to park in the easy out parking area insode the vanue lot, but this fills up quick.

What are you going to do about the "possible" Saturday show? If your going to this are you really going to want to trek back and forth from Boston? Its a solid 45 minutes without traffic.

Again, I'd stay in Providence. Its a fun town. Great food & Drink. Great atmosphere in the summer. And its easy enough to drive up to Boston for a night.

If you do stay in Boston, it really doesn't matter where because you can get anywhere in the city from anywhere really easy. There's tons to do, you might even be overwhelmed. I'd say to try to stick with the nicer hotels if you can. But whatever you do you're in for pretty much perfect weather and a fun time.

Whatever you do, don't drink and drive around here. We're highly aggressive drivers, and the roads can be a bit confusing if you're not familliar with them.

Good luck, have fun!
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    Clark KentClark Kent Posts: 159
    you should definetly stay in quincy ma. the marriot is really nice and not to much cake. mansfield is 25 min. away. marina bay is a hot spot in the summer. no better view of boston in the state. outdoor bars and clubs. that is why i live in quincy. close to everything and a fun summer spot.
    Son of Jor-El
  • Options
    providence is a fukn dump! stay away!!!!!!!
    Son of Jor-El
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    happydad wrote:
    providence is a fukn dump! stay away!!!!!!!

Your right. Send them to waterworks, best food in the state! And getting out of towners over to Marina bay is a breeze. And once they're there they can really get the flavor of Boston... I mean low tide... Don't get me qrong, I like Marina Bay. Not where I would send tourists...

And the view of the city from Memorial Drive is just awful. Don't send them there.

Seriously, The Marriott in Quincy is not bad advice. But you'd get just as nice a view going across the street from there to Granite Links Golf Course. I'm guessing you're looking for the Boston experience.

Providence is not a dump, a lot nicer than Quincy... It's not as nice as Boston, but there's great food and it is easier to get to and from Mansfield. No matter where you stay your going to do fine.
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...
  • Options
    first of all water works is closed. the water club is hottest club in the state in the summer. boston skyline is farnone. oh yeah if u want dirty srippers,hooker, and drug infested area then stay in providence. atwells ave real nice hah. dump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Son of Jor-El
  • Options
    jecica wrote:
    If you stay at a hotel in downtown Boston, expect to pay at least $20 per night in parking. We do a lot of meetings at the Hyatt, Sheraton and Marriott and the cheapest rate for parking we get is $18. That is with reserving 400 rooms. If you are staying for a couple nights, I would plan $100 for parking.
    Thanks for the heads up. I hate that I'll have my car for the few days I stay in Boston, but we're driving down, so there's not a lot I can do about it.
    Hooch wrote:
    Your best bet is either to pay to park just outside the venue, people who live on the main road their turn their yards into satellite parking lots. This way you don't have to wait the 1.5 - 2 hours after the show to get out. Or you can oay to park in the easy out parking area insode the vanue lot, but this fills up quick.
    I'm staying in Mansfield (or close to) the night of the concert. Is a taxi after the concert an option or will it be next to impossible to get one?
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    Now that I've searched some Boston hotels online, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or has heard anything about any of the following hotels:

Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Chandler Inn

John Hancock Hotel

Midtown Hotel

Thank you!
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    Just remember, where ever you stay, check the mattress, boxspring, and headboard THOROUGLY for bedbugs.
  • Options
    If it is at the Tweeter, stay at the Holiday Inn near there. It is crazy coming out, and if you don't care about getting back to the city, that's the best place.
  • Options
    Dedvw wrote:
    Just remember, where ever you stay, check the mattress, boxspring, and headboard THOROUGLY for bedbugs.
    Gross! Are bed bugs a major problem in hotels?
  • Options
    PahkTheCahPahkTheCah Posts: 193
    Now that I've searched some Boston hotels online, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or has heard anything about any of the following hotels:

Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Chandler Inn

John Hancock Hotel

Midtown Hotel

Thank you!

When the former president was in town, he stayed at the Park Plaza. It's nice. Very nice. The Chandler Inn is in a nice neighborhood, about a 5 minute walk to the theater district/ China town, where there are plenty of bars and clubs. I've never heard of the Hancock, but 1 block over is Boylston Street where there are a number of decent bars. The Midtown is the worst of the 4. I seem to remember there being a college dorm associated with the hotel. But it's a short cab ride from everything you'd want to see.

I will say this. If you're looking for a hotel and The Round House pops up, leave the area quickly, look NO ONE in the eye, and lock the car doors.
  • Options
    mwbeck10 wrote:
    I've been tossin' it around since the dates were announced....would be a great trip...if there are a bunch of singles floating around after the 10C sale date, I just might decide to go. Not trying for tix on Thursday. Where are you flying into/out of??

You going to any EV shows? I'll be at SC and Berkeley 1...little over a week away!!!

I'm flying out of Sac. Have fun at those EV shows! I won't be at either one of those, but I am going to both nights in LA.
    92xxx
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    there are a lot of chain hotels, like Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn, that are right off Route 495 or Rt 95 in the Mansfield area. look in Foxboro or Taunton or Attleboro as well as Mansfield. if you fly in, you should fly into Providence. it is MUCH easier to get to Mansfield from Providence than it is to get there from Boston.

expect to spend at least an hour in your car waiting to get out of the parking lot after the show.

Good info, Thanks
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    Gross! Are bed bugs a major problem in hotels?

If you only knew. They are all over the place- hotels, apartments, and homes.

Every year they become more abundant in society (US and Canada).
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I'm staying in Mansfield (or close to) the night of the concert. Is a taxi after the concert an option or will it be next to impossible to get one?

Don't plan on a taxi driving by. You have to call in advance and schedule it. There is NOTHING around there. This is past the suburbs of Boston. I don't even think there is a taxi company in Mansfield, maybe foxboro near by cause of the Patriots.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    In the next couple of days I'm looking to try and get a group rate at a local hotel minutes from the venue. I have 2 in mind and and should be able to get a good rate with one of them. So for those looking to get a hotel hold off for a couple of days. I'll post details as soon as it's confirmed. I'll likely hold 15-20 rooms.
  • Options
    Pete2116Pete2116 Posts: 19
    All the double rooms at the holiday inn mansfield are sold out for the 28th.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    Bummer. The Holiday Inn was one of the places I was going to call back today. I called Sat but they said to speak to someome on Monday about a group rate. I gave her the dates and everything, but she didn't tell me there was little or no space left.
  • Options
    jecica wrote:
    Don't plan on a taxi driving by. You have to call in advance and schedule it. There is NOTHING around there. This is past the suburbs of Boston. I don't even think there is a taxi company in Mansfield, maybe foxboro near by cause of the Patriots.
    Bummer. The Tweeter Centre being in the middle of nowhere is becoming very inconvenient. :)
  • Options
    Hotel@MIT is AWESOME. it is expensive but cool, and very close to the Central Sq T stop in cambridge, which will get you anywhere in the city (you can also walk or take the bus right across the Mass Ave bridge from there to the Backbay and the Fenway area) and is a cool neighborhood in and of itself (for a GREAT Irish pub I recommend the Field in Cambridge/Central Sq, and The Middle East is a great rock club. harvard sq and the river are right nearby too). Just a note, Cambridge is a separate city but it's considered "the city" if you get my drift. It's just the other side of the river. IMO, cambridge is "cooler" than boston-even if you don't stay here you should cross the river and check it out.

other than cambridge, I'd say if you want to stay in fun areas I'd check out the back bay or even the financial district/downtown. *most* of Boston is fairly safe, including pretty much anywhere you'd find a hotel, but a hotel anywhere right in the city will be pricey.

btw, I've lived here 24 of my 30 years on earth, so if you have any other questions feel free to pm.
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093

Boston Park Plaza Hotel

Chandler Inn

John Hancock Hotel

Midtown Hotel

Thank you!

I've stayed at Boston Park Plaza. Gorgeous hotel, and real comfy beds!
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    jecica wrote:

yeah it is definitely not a cab place. this is way outside the city we're talking.