Options

Where to stay in Boston?

sayhellotokevinsayhellotokevin Posts: 47
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Someone help me out here. I've never been to Boston, so I have no idea what area I need to book a hotel in. Distance from the show isn't an issue because I'm renting a car, so really, my trip is going to be based on partying and getting hammered at some fun bars. What part of town should I stay in?
92xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Get chipyard cookies!!!! :D
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    By the way........ If anyone else from the area (or not) is planning on tossing back a few whips over the weekend of the Hartford/Mansfield shows, maybe a 10c meet-up somewhere along the way might be possible? Just throwing that out there.
    92xxx
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    The show isn't in Boston so you may not want to stay there show night. Mansfield is a good sized drive out of town.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Get chipyard cookies!!!! :D

I don't get it.
    92xxx
  • Options
    I don't get it.

Best cookies in the world.
  • Options
    The show isn't in Boston so you may not want to stay there show night. Mansfield is a good sized drive out of town.

How far are we talking?
    92xxx
  • Options
    How far are we talking?

Maybe close to an hour with traffic?
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:

That's totally cool. I'm not flying across the country to party in Mansfield (although I'm sure it's very lovely there, too).
    92xxx
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Someone help me out here. I've never been to Boston, so I have no idea what area I need to book a hotel in. Distance from the show isn't an issue because I'm renting a car, so really, my trip is going to be based on partying and getting hammered at some fun bars. What part of town should I stay in?

You can stay at my parent's place north of the city if your 92xxx number gets me in the first 5 rows! ;) C'mon, I'm a fellow Californian!

Seriously, one of the great things about Boston is that it's really small and managible. You can get anywhere in the city from a central location rather easily.

Depending on your budget, the Backbay area is where I'd choose to stay ... plenty of bars and restaurants on Newbury / Boylston Streets.

I quickly did this up on google maps ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=hotel&near=Berkeley+St+and+Newbury+St+boston,+ma&sll=42.349474,-71.076479&sspn=0.015034,0.023432&ie=UTF8&ll=42.352043,-71.073432&spn=0.015033,0.023432&z=15

I'll suggest Kayak.com to hunt out the best hotel rates for the dates you're looking for ... it scours all websites (expedia, hotels.com, hotwire, orbitz, etc)

Note Boston to Mansfield is about 30 miles (allow extra time to get to the venue, traffic can get crazy, best to get there early and tailgate).
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
    92xxx
  • Options
    Boston is a nightmare to navigate, and I grew up here! At the car rental place, you should spend the extra $30 or whatever for a GPS. +1 on staying in Back Bay, though I would prefer cambridge (Harvard Sq/Central Sq is fun, and less expensive than Back Bay). Not much to do in Mansfield...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    gobrowns19 wrote:

For a show, plan on longer than that. 45 mins at a bare minimum without traffic.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    mwbeck10mwbeck10 Posts: 274
    jimed14 wrote:
    You can stay at my parent's place north of the city if your 92xxx number gets me in the first 5 rows! ;) C'mon, I'm a fellow Californian!

Seriously, one of the great things about Boston is that it's really small and managible. You can get anywhere in the city from a central location rather easily.

Depending on your budget, the Backbay area is where I'd choose to stay ... plenty of bars and restaurants on Newbury / Boylston Streets.

I quickly did this up on google maps ...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&q=hotel&near=Berkeley+St+and+Newbury+St+boston,+ma&sll=42.349474,-71.076479&sspn=0.015034,0.023432&ie=UTF8&ll=42.352043,-71.073432&spn=0.015033,0.023432&z=15

I'll suggest Kayak.com to hunt out the best hotel rates for the dates you're looking for ... it scours all websites (expedia, hotels.com, hotwire, orbitz, etc)

Note Boston to Mansfield is about 30 miles (allow extra time to get to the venue, traffic can get crazy, best to get there early and tailgate).

Good info...I've been debating on whether or not to make the trek back east for Hartford and Mansfield. I'd love to spend some time in Boston and I'm not sure if these EV solo shows can hold me over til next time they tour the west coast...
    10/27/00, 10/28/00, 10/20/01, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 10/25/03, 10/28/03, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/16/08
  • Options
    mwbeck10 wrote:
    Good info...I've been debating on whether or not to make the trek back east for Hartford and Mansfield. I'd love to spend some time in Boston and I'm not sure if these EV solo shows can hold me over til next time they tour the west coast...

Hey Beck! We're pretty close and we've been to lots of the same shows. You should definitely go and share a beer with a fellow central valley-ite!
    92xxx
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    there are a lot of chain hotels, like Holiday Inn and Comfort Inn, that are right off Route 495 or Rt 95 in the Mansfield area. look in Foxboro or Taunton or Attleboro as well as Mansfield. if you fly in, you should fly into Providence. it is MUCH easier to get to Mansfield from Providence than it is to get there from Boston.

expect to spend at least an hour in your car waiting to get out of the parking lot after the show.
  • Options
    mwbeck10mwbeck10 Posts: 274
    Hey Beck! We're pretty close and we've been to lots of the same shows. You should definitely go and share a beer with a fellow central valley-ite!

I've been tossin' it around since the dates were announced....would be a great trip...if there are a bunch of singles floating around after the 10C sale date, I just might decide to go. Not trying for tix on Thursday. Where are you flying into/out of??

You going to any EV shows? I'll be at SC and Berkeley 1...little over a week away!!!
    10/27/00, 10/28/00, 10/20/01, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 10/25/03, 10/28/03, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/16/08
  • Options
    JammerJammer Posts: 85
    The good news for you is the Sox are out of town, and there is nothing going on at the "Garden". There is a little known hotel across the street from the Garden called "The Shawmut Inn". It's clean and has several floors but not an upscale type of place. It is located at 280 Friend Street. You can park in one of the garages near it. This street and several near it has plenty of bars to choose from. It is also close to 93 and the Subway. Enjoy :-)
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642

Stay at The Custom House near Quincy Market. I stayed there for Boston 3 in 2003 and it was nice as hell and a lot of bars and restaurants were right there.
  • Options
    Jammer wrote:
    The good news for you is the Sox are out of town, and there is nothing going on at the "Garden". There is a little known hotel across the street from the Garden called "The Shawmut Inn". It's clean and has several floors but not an upscale type of place. It is located at 280 Friend Street. You can park in one of the garages near it. This street and several near it has plenty of bars to choose from. It is also close to 93 and the Subway. Enjoy :-)

Looks like it's becoming a Holiday Inn Express: http://www.shawmutinn.com/

I'm going to stay in Mansfield the night of the concert, but am going to spend a few days in Boston. In Boston, will I have to use a parking garage or do some of the hotels have their own parking? I'm trying to work that into budgeting - - if I have to pay $30/day for parking at a small hotel with no parking, I may as well increase my hotel "budget" by $30-$50. Or maybe parking is going to cost me regardless of the hotel I stay at ...

I'm looking to find a cheap hotel, which I know is probably next to impossible in Boston. Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about Hotel Buckminister, by Fenway Park?
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Please take this post with a grain of salt if you will...for those 'out of towners', just know that it's a bitch and a half trying to get out of Mansfield parking lots. It taken me over 2 hours on multiple occasions trying to leave that place. Plan on either 1.) tailgating after the show or 2.) taking a snooze in the car once the show is over because it can be one giant hassle trying to leave. Not trying to dampen anything, but keep this mind...don't drink ALL the beer before the show, because ya ain't goin' anywhere for a while! :)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    Don't stay in Boston proper. It's fucking expensive. I'd go with what some others said and stay around Providence. But if you are looking for a decent place to stay, Marlborough (where I'm from) is about 25 miles west of Boston, about 40 min. from Mansfield, and is right on 495, which is clutch for the show, since you take 495 the whole way to Mansfield. Plus, there's a lot of hotels in Marlboro, and they'll be cheaper than what you pay in Boston.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    You can stay at the Pine Street Inn.

j/k
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    stay in boston proper. as the op said, people aren't going to boston to hang out in the 'burbs. any of the hotels downtown may get a little expensive, but staying down there is a great experience. it's fantastic city and staying in the 'burbs will ruin the experience, unless . . . you stay along the coast, like the cape of somewhere. and yes, that will be expensive, too, and likely hard to find because it's the middle of the summer. but, if you can find it, it would totally be worth it, especially if you have a group of people you're going with.
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    all I would say is car pool with other jammers. Stay in Boston, it will be a great time. Getting to the show won't be hard. You can get there during the day, mid afternoon, and have a BBQ, some beverages in plastic cups of course, play som frisbee!! But I would also recommend packing a snack for after the show. We always make a couple of sandwiches and extra water/soda etc for after because it's always a hella time getting out of there. But if you are renting a car, get GPS it might be worth it for you in the long run because driving in and around Boston is hard. I always get lost and I have lived in New England my whole life.

I am so excited about the 2 shows. I am of course hoping for a couple more!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    stay in boston proper. as the op said, people aren't going to boston to hang out in the 'burbs.

no one said anything about hanging out there......i'm just talkin about a place to lay your head. Boston is an expensive place to lay your head. All I'm sayin. From living in the area. But if they wanna do that if they got the dough and it's more convenient, more power to them.

Plus, the Boston metro area isn't exactly the boondocks. It's convenient to a lot of transportation (MBTA and a lotta highways/roads) and cities.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Don't stay in Boston proper. It's fucking expensive. I'd go with what some others said and stay around Providence. But if you are looking for a decent place to stay, Marlborough (where I'm from) is about 25 miles west of Boston, about 40 min. from Mansfield, and is right on 495, which is clutch for the show, since you take 495 the whole way to Mansfield. Plus, there's a lot of hotels in Marlboro, and they'll be cheaper than what you pay in Boston.

Marlboro, Milford (where I live), Franklin, Bellingham....all have lots of hotels and are closer than Boston. Those are the sleeper town to check out. I know that in Milford there are a lot of business hotels for some reason, with easy access to some surprisingly good restaurants and a 15 minute drive to the Wrentham Outlets if you like shopping.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    BinFrog wrote:
    Marlboro, Milford (where I live), Franklin, Bellingham....all have lots of hotels and are closer than Boston. Those are the sleeper town to check out. I know that in Milford there are a lot of business hotels for some reason, with easy access to some surprisingly good restaurants and a 15 minute drive to the Wrentham Outlets if you like shopping.

oh shit! i'm bringing the wifey to her first show and i forgot all about wrentham. she's gonna want to stop! :eek:

thanks for the head's up man!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I am currently on the 11th floor of the Courtyard Marriot on Tremont Street....don't stay here, it is a dump.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    JammerJammer Posts: 85
    Looks like it's becoming a Holiday Inn Express: http://www.shawmutinn.com/

I'm going to stay in Mansfield the night of the concert, but am going to spend a few days in Boston. In Boston, will I have to use a parking garage or do some of the hotels have their own parking? I'm trying to work that into budgeting - - if I have to pay $30/day for parking at a small hotel with no parking, I may as well increase my hotel "budget" by $30-$50. Or maybe parking is going to cost me regardless of the hotel I stay at ...

I'm looking to find a cheap hotel, which I know is probably next to impossible in Boston. Does anyone have any experience or heard anything about Hotel Buckminister, by Fenway Park?

I looked online I didn't see that. Hotels.com lists this hotel 1 room 2 adults 6/29/-6/30 119.00/ night. it's down the street from UMass. They are not renovating!!

http://www.holidaycity.com/doubletree-club-boston-bayside/index.htm
  • Options
    HoochHooch Posts: 37
    Jammer wrote:
    I looked online I didn't see that. Hotels.com lists this hotel 1 room 2 adults 6/29/-6/30 119.00/ night. it's down the street from UMass. They are not renovating!!

http://www.holidaycity.com/doubletree-club-boston-bayside/index.htm

This Doubletree is not a central in Boston. If you want to be really close to the JFK Library, Bayside Expo Center, or South Boston, its great. It is on the red line, so your only 5-10 minutes from downtown.
    Been to lots of shows. I love shows...