Options

Bonnaroo blah blah blah.....

Ashy LarryAshy Larry Posts: 76
edited June 2008 in The Porch
while the setlist looks great on paper. Imagine trying to have a nice intimate concert experience in a field of 100K + muddy, stinky, drugged out morons.

NO Thanks - went to the first 2 Roo's and its a ton of shit to go thru only to end up viewing the headliner on the jumbotron.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    hes got a point, Lollapalooza last year was a bunch of drunk people throwin elbows....
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    nobodys claiming it was an intimate concert experience, they are claiming it was an emotional and kick ass experience. and the "good-on-paper setlist" is proof of that.

what a show. the reivews sound awesome.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    nobodys claiming it was an intimate concert experience, they are claiming it was an emotional and kick ass experience. and the "good-on-paper setlist" is proof of that.

what a show. the reivews sound awesome.

Wasnt around last night and havent read though all of this yet. Has anyone said how "all night" sounded?????
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    Ashy Larry wrote:
    while the setlist looks great on paper. Imagine trying to have a nice intimate concert experience in a field of 100K + muddy, stinky, drugged out morons.

NO Thanks - went to the first 2 Roo's and its a ton of shit to go thru only to end up viewing the headliner on the jumbotron.

Been there, done it, and I would have done it last night for that set!
  • Options
    skere26skere26 Posts: 304
    i was at Lolla, u pretty much know what your signing up for when going to a festival.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    would have been a better setlist for say Tampa.... screw roo... yes im pissed i missed but id much rather get some of those tunes in an indoor venue where i have half a chance of actually being apart of the show :D
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Well yeah, nobody expects to have an intimate experience at a festival, but who says you need that? Enjoy it for what it was, not what it wasn't.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134
    When I lived in Atlanta a buddy of mine went to Bonnaroo every year and begged me to come. I knew myself well enough to know I would hate it...all the hassle to get in there, dealing with drunk idiots, sleeping in a tent, etc. I salute the fans who braved that scene for a weekend and got to witness what sounds like one of the best PJ shows ever.

I'm looking forward to VA Beach and MSG, and going out afterwards, and showering back at the hotel, and sleeping in a bed with the A/C on, and having room service pancakes in the morning.... :D
  • Options
    hiding103006hiding103006 Posts: 452
    knew it wouldn't be long before people were bitching. you people are amazing around here.
    Camden 7-5-2003, Camden 7-6-2003, Hershey 7-12-2003, Camden 5-27-2006, Camden 5-28-2006, Lollapalooza 8-5-2007, Camden 6-19-2008, Camden 6-20-2008, New York 6-24-2008, New York 6-25-2008, Mansfield 6-28-2008, Mansfield 6-30-2008
  • Options
    wahh I'm jealous I didn't get to go!!!

I'm sure everyone that went had a great time.

And I'm sure it was just like they expected a festival to be. Some people love em, some people don't but no need to crap on the show and try to belittle what was a great night for a number of people.
    "Don't lose your inner heat...ever" - EV 5/13/06
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Just be glad we're fans of a band who gives us setlists like this, and that they give it all every night. All this "Roo wasn't as good as the Vic cos I was there!!!" stuff is bullshit.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    mattcoz wrote:
    Well yeah, nobody expects to have an intimate experience at a festival, but who says you need that? Enjoy it for what it was, not what it wasn't.

exactly ...100% on point ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    salt_creepsalt_creep Posts: 72
    I was at Lolla last year and I had a fucking blast!!!!!

I don't understand all the complaints about festivals... because I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to have a good time and yet I was thourally pleased with the whole experience... and seeing PJ dominate the stage to close out the show was just the most perfect way to end the weekend for me.

I had such a good time at Lolla that I really wanted to go to the "roo" this year (only live about 9 hrs away)... but I just can't afford it... money is too tight and gas is way too fucking insanely expensive...

But after looking at that set-list, it makes me fucking wish I had found a way to make it work... The people who went to the "roo" were in for a treat for sure. That set (on papaer) looks like it kicks the shit out of Lolla... I don't see how any concert going fan could not appreciatte that

Pearl Jam fucking Rocks... totally saves music for me these days.
  • Options
    salt_creepsalt_creep Posts: 72
    sorry about my spelling...
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    Ashy Larry wrote:
    the setlist looks great on paper.

I wasn't there. but that's one of the illest PJ setlists I ever saw. the set and length of the performance blew Lollapalooza (which I did attend) out of the water. I can't wait to hear the boot.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    judging by this review

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=5544016&postcount=13

i'm gonna say it was a pretty special night regardless of the crowd
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    Ashy Larry wrote:

I was there, it was an absolutely beautiful night.. and the crowd was great... they are jammin and dancin and screaming...

but damn I still haven't taken a shower
  • Options
    I feel some major jealousy going on. I am jealous that I wasn't there last night for one. The setlist was amazing. I don't know why you would want to try to justify that this was not a an amazing show. I bet it was fucking awesome. Lolla last year was so fun even though many complain about the setlist. Whatever it was a blast. Sometimes the experience of being a part of thousands and thousands of people getting into the same thing you are and sharing that feeling for a couple of hours is mindblowing. Fuck the pessimists, I wish I was there, great set, and hope everyone had an awesome time.
  • Options
    Wasnt around last night and havent read though all of this yet. Has anyone said how "all night" sounded?????

apparently it sounded amazing
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    the show was great! Closest I've ever been...2nd row basically. Worth the wait! Can't wait till hartford and Mansfield now!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    that's what i wanna know! that and WMA

and yeah i had a flash of jealously last night, i might have called all those in attendance a few names :p haha but really it's awesome people got to hear those songs, sounds like a really special evening. and that the band is busting out such rare stuff?! makes me excited to see what's gonna happen next :)
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    my opinion is the setlist was great...no doubt about it....but festivals when you want to see your favorite band just don't do it for me...clearly I don't think this is the end of these songs being played or new rare ones being brought out...if you think its going to be standard stuff played at MSG youre crazy...but regardless my personal choice is to not be bumped into to and to be able to secure a place with an arena full of people who are forced to somewhat** act civilized....it doesn't matter how good a setlist is in my mind if I cant concentrate on the performance because someone is bumping into me and being an asshole...that happens enough when there are assigned seats

Its tempting to say I'd go to Bonnaroo knowing the setlist after...but I'd still rather go to a stadium show of just PJ without the hassles of that a festival has...but shit Im very happy for those who went and were bummed because they didnt know there was going to be a full tour after!¬
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    Rossum20 wrote:
    my opinion is the setlist was great...no doubt about it....but festivals when you want to see your favorite band just don't do it for me...clearly I don't think this is the end of these songs being played or new rare ones being brought out...if you think its going to be standard stuff played at MSG youre crazy...but regardless my personal choice is to not be bumped into to and to be able to secure a place with an arena full of people who are forced to somewhat** act civilized....it doesn't matter how good a setlist is in my mind if I cant concentrate on the performance because someone is bumping into me and being an asshole...that happens enough when there are assigned seats

Its tempting to say I'd go to Bonnaroo knowing the setlist after...but I'd still rather go to a stadium show of just PJ without the hassles of that a festival has...but shit Im very happy for those who went and were bummed because they didnt know there was going to be a full tour after!¬
    htat's my same feeling about festival gigs too, i had a friend trying to get free tickets from a local radio station and she asked if i would go with her, and i said no (she didn't win so i don't have to flog myself in retrospect or anything lol). compound the festival crowd with the heat/humidity, eek!

but true, considering those who were there had bought tickets not expecting a tour announcement, and it being in the south....what a way to give a treat to the fans. it's good stuff :)
  • Options
    kirakira Posts: 20
    Abuskedti wrote:
    I was there, it was an absolutely beautiful night.. and the crowd was great... they are jammin and dancin and screaming...

but damn I still haven't taken a shower

awww! happy for you. i've paid more for one pj show than the whole
    bonnaroo fest tic cost. just go for pj and be a part of making PEARL JAM HISTORY..
    AND you can say, "i'm one of the ones screaming", after the bootleg
    comes out, every time for the rest of your life you or somebody else
    plays it.. i still listen to fox/atlanta/live/1994 and can hear myself
    scream. ..yea, it was a smaller place.
    but under the stars, singing with eddie, helping him through the
    tears for his friend's dad who died, listenin to the band live,..shoot.
    i can't think of a place i'd rather be. i've been to almost 2000 live
    shows of every kind of band. the glory of being 'with' pj, it raises you above the stinky/sweaty/drunk.. i never know what's goin on around me when they're playing..just more or less floating above it myself..BUT always feel so much respect for other jammers there who love them the same way!
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    has anyone ever done european shows? they're all sweaty and crazy... and i find them way more fun... so if theres an amazing set list for a crazy sweaty passionate show then i think that's a plus...

...that being said, i'm going to try and pretend the rest of the day that i am not sad i came home between tampa and camden..... :o
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    inhiding 1976inhiding 1976 NWI Posts: 580
    The setlist does look good on paper and it was good live. Just like a lot of other people have said, when you make the decision to go to a festival or any general admission show you have chosen to put yourself in a situation where you can't really control what is going on around you. Thus, you miss out on most of the show and can't focus on the music. I attended Lolla and arrived 5 hours early and was front row just to the right of stone, I had fun but I expected to get pissed throughout and I did due to inconsiderate pigs. I went for the music and for the band and I got what I expected from the band and that was pure energy. Don't rip Bonnaroo, if it's not your thing it's cool, but I bet you wouldn't complain if you were sitting on the stage.

7-11-95, 6-14-98, 6-26-98, 6-27-98, 6-29-98, 8-17-98, 08-18-00, 8-20-00, 09-05-00, 10-7-00, 10-8-00, 10-9-00, 10-11-00, 4-21-03, 4-22-03, 4-23-03, 4-25-03, 04-26-03, 6-18-03, 6-21-03, 6-22-03, 6-25-03, 06-26-03, 10-3-04, 9-11-05, 9-12-05, 9-13-05, 5-9-06, 5-10-06, 5-16-06, 5-17-06, 5-19-06, 5-20-06, 6-23-06, 6-24-06, 6-29-06, 8-5-07, E.V. Milwaukee and Chicago night 1, 8-23-09,08-24-09, 5-7-10, 5-9-10, E.V. 6-28-011, 9-3-11, 9-4-11, 7-19-13, 10-11-13, 10-3-14, 10-17-14, 10-20-14, E.V. 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 8-20-18, 8-22-18, 9-16-22, 9-18-22, 9-5-23, 9-7-23, 9-10-23
  • Options
    AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    kira wrote:
    awww! happy for you. i've paid more for one pj show than the whole
    bonnaroo fest tic cost. just go for pj and be a part of making PEARL JAM HISTORY..
    AND you can say, "i'm one of the ones screaming", after the bootleg
    comes out, every time for the rest of your life you or somebody else
    plays it.. i still listen to fox/atlanta/live/1994 and can hear myself
    scream. ..yea, it was a smaller place.
    but under the stars, singing with eddie, helping him through the
    tears for his friend's dad who died, listenin to the band live,..shoot.
    i can't think of a place i'd rather be. i've been to almost 2000 live
    shows of every kind of band. the glory of being 'with' pj, it raises you above the stinky/sweaty/drunk.. i never know what's goin on around me when they're playing..just more or less floating above it myself..BUT always feel so much respect for other jammers there who love them the same way!

:) thanks ....

I remember thinking when I approached "That Tent" that I am about to witness Pearl Jam making my favorite CD :)
  • Options
    kirakira Posts: 20
    Abuskedti wrote:
    :) thanks ....

I remember thinking when I approached "That Tent" that I am about to witness Pearl Jam making my favorite CD :)

ahhh haha, that is hillarious! thinking ahead and/or premonition!! ..and eddie was thinking, "i'm about to give them their favorite cd"..!!
  • Options
    spinDrAtlspinDrAtl Posts: 109
    Columbia is going to be FOUR hours! :)
    So this is what it's like to be an adult.

Atlanta 4-3-94,Charleston 10-5-96
    Atlanta 8-7-00,Atlanta 4-19-03
    Vegas 6-6-03,Vegas 7-6-06
    Chicago Vic 8-2-07,Columbia 6-16-08
    MSG I 6-24-08, Philadelphia 10-31-09
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    spinDrAtl wrote:
    Columbia is going to be FOUR hours! :)

fuckin eh .. ill drink to that notion! :D