Time to Start Thinking About the 2009 Holiday Single

Lennon_CobainLennon_Cobain Posts: 704
edited December 2009 in The Porch
For some reason, I started thinking about the 2009 holiday single. Like most people, I would like the A-side to be a new song. For the B-side, I would actually like to see a groovy, studio-version cover song.

I would like to see Pearl Jam cover R.E.M.'s "Finest Worksong," and in a perfect world, R.E.M. would cover a Pearl Jam song on their annual single. Perhaps "Wishlist."
"I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I was thinking they will release a studio version of "Out of My Mind" Let's see.
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I'm thinking rock fusion... can anyone say Dirty Lew?
  • arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    Devo
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I would, just once, like to have the holiday single before the end of January instead of May-August like usual :?
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • no reason to think about this now, easter is far away, and the more likely memorial day is even farther away
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    we have plenty of time to think and wait on it .. my guess is we should get it around may 2010 :mrgreen:
  • yield2me wrote:
    I would, just once, like to have the holiday single before the end of January instead of May-August like usual :?
    The band was pretty good about getting the 2007 single out. I got it right around Christmas if I recall correctly.

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • HEY BACK OFF BITCH AUSTRALIA NEW ZEALAND BEFORE WE THINK ABOUT SINGLE

besides we all know it's now the easter single
    Bitch Be Cool 8)
    BRISBANE 1998,2003,2006,2009!!!
    Christchurch 2009
    Oh I'm a lucky man to count those I love on two hands

come say hi on facebook http://www.facebook.com/sean.montgomery
  • I don't want to get excited about the x-mas single just yet since it won't be arriving in my mailbox until Spring or Summer.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • We should start a pool. How much should we bet? It could be what holiday will it be released closest to or maybe we can have what date range is closest.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • HEY BACK OFF BITCH AUSTRALIA NEW ZEALAND BEFORE WE THINK ABOUT SINGLE

besides we all know it's now the easter single

No it is the 4th of July single.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Arakias wrote:
    Devo

yeah!

and i dunno all along the watchtower w/ ron wood OR mountain song w/Perry Farrell.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Is it too soon to jump on the Leatherman II bandwagon??
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Wow, you're right. It seems like we just got the 2008 single. ;)
    TheBeach wrote:
    We should start a pool. How much should we bet? It could be what holiday will it be released closest to or maybe we can have what date range is closest.
    I got St. Patrick's Day, March 17th, 2010.
    yield2me wrote:
    The band was pretty good about getting the 2007 single out. I got it right around Christmas if I recall correctly.
    Same here.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I was thinking they will release a studio version of "Out of My Mind" Let's see.
    they already did. it was released as a B-side to the Not For You single.

it be nice if the holiday single was actually a new song and not a song that's already been heard.i call it the st. patricks day single :lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• It would be great to open it up and spin it on Christmas morning.To bad we won't get it until March 3 2010.
    Miami 92,WPB 2008,Tampa 2008,MSG 2008#1, EV Baltimore 2009 Night#2,EV ATL 2009, Seattle 2009, Jazzfest 2010, WM3 Arkansas 2010,Bridge School 2010
  • metsfan wrote:
    I was thinking they will release a studio version of "Out of My Mind" Let's see.
    they already did. it was released as a B-side to the Not For You single.
    This version was recorded "live" and is not a traditional studio recording.

• Is it too soon to jump on the Leatherman II bandwagon??
    Not too early at all. I would like to see this as the A-side of this year's single.

• you're all wrong...it's now considered the "annual gift" it could come at anytime throughout the year...it could be the holiday season, Thanksgiving, Halloween, 4th of July, St Pat's, Easter, hell it can even come on VE Day for all we know!

nothing like a new record to spin to celebrate our victory in europe
  • i can see it being leatherman II and something live from this tour.
    cant see why ed would mention the song if they had no intention of us hearing it soon.
  • I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was one of the encores from LA3, either Alive w/Jerry or Hunger Strike w/Cornell. Or maybe both. I know they'll be on the boots, but still.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    I'm not going to complain about whatever they give us, but it is really a let-down now a days if they just throw two live songs on the single. I mean, we can all buy any show we want, so I just feel like, if they just throw Hunger Strike or something on there, it doesn't show much care or effort. I mean, I won't complain, like in 2000 when they gave us two live songs, at least Crown of Thorns had a lot of meaning for the band, and the artwork and all was very nice, it was a special year. In 2001 and 2003, the live songs were from shows they didnt sell (Bridge School and Santa Barbara) so that was ok.

Maybe it is just because I am greedy and want more studio songs. The more PJ songs the better, I guess that is how I look at it, and I love when the Christmas singles provide us with real songs, ala Santa Cruz, Driftin' or Happy When I'm Crying.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • I don't think I ever got my 2008 single :( What happened?
  • RiotAct10 wrote:
    I'm not going to complain about whatever they give us, but it is really a let-down now a days if they just throw two live songs on the single. I mean, we can all buy any show we want, so I just feel like, if they just throw Hunger Strike or something on there, it doesn't show much care or effort. I mean, I won't complain, like in 2000 when they gave us two live songs, at least Crown of Thorns had a lot of meaning for the band, and the artwork and all was very nice, it was a special year. In 2001 and 2003, the live songs were from shows they didnt sell (Bridge School and Santa Barbara) so that was ok.

Maybe it is just because I am greedy and want more studio songs. The more PJ songs the better, I guess that is how I look at it, and I love when the Christmas singles provide us with real songs, ala Santa Cruz, Driftin' or Happy When I'm Crying.
    +1

• I don't think I ever got my 2008 single :( What happened?
    You should have probably tried contacting Ten Club by now. I am sure that they will try to help you out.

• OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    I think with the whole thing with the 08 thing, and EV writing that letter even though we didn't see that til well into 09, I believe we will see the single sooner than we did last year. Ed did mention that it was a X-mas single in that letter, so I will guess we will see it sometime in April. :lol:
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    edited November 2009
    Surely there must have been songs that only just missed the cut for Backspacer! This is my first 10C xmas so you've all bummed me out a bit!
    Post edited by tinkerbell on
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Surely there must have been songs that only just missed the cut for Backspacer! This is my first 10C xmas so you've all bummed my out a bit!

They do have xtra tracks from Backspacer that they are considering releasing an EP with.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman