Impossible for some people to understand the PJ feeling

2»

Comments

• I completely understand what you're talking about. I'm 20 and have been crazy about Pearl Jam since I was 14. I've been to 16 PJ shows now, so a lot of my friends and relatives think I'm out of my mind. I mostly don't care what they think, but in the week or so following a concert, all I want to do is talk about it and I can tell it annoys the hell out of them.

I guess if you never find a band that you connect with and love THAT much, traveling and going to a bunch of shows does seem crazy. I'm sure if these people could experience even a fraction of what we feel at a PJ concert, the amount of time or money we spend on this music would be more justified in their eyes. I know music taste is subjective and don't hold anything against people who don't like Pearl Jam, and I'm sure they're passionate about things I'll never get...but whenever I realize how many people are entirely oblivious to the PJ feeling, I feel pretty lucky to have discovered it. I'm sure I wouldn't be the same person without it and I'm sure there are people out there who could love PJ the same way, but will never give them enough time to find out. So while it's frustrating to make people understand the feeling, be thankful that you found it yourself, especially being young in today's hopeless music world.

Anyway, I know your frustration and really liked your post. The longer you're a fan, you'll naturally acquire PJ friends through here, at shows, etc. :)
  • BeeGirl86 wrote:
    I have been in love with Pearl Jam since about 6th grade, I am 22 now. Whenever I get a chance to see them live, it is a meaningful experience to me. Each time I see them I am amazed, and usually can not put into words how the show made me feel and the experience I had. After the show, when I have to go back to the regular world to people whom do not have the same passion for Pearl Jam...there is one thing that drives me crazy. When people ask me how the show was, there are no words to describe really. These people would not even understand if I tried to explain the expereience. Pearl Jam is unlike another band (to me) and seeing them live is unlike any other concert experience. I just wanted to vent...I'm not sure I even got my point across haha but I just wanted to vent.

I miss you alreddie...

It's soo nice to see PJ fans in their early 20's too! I took one of my closest friends to all the LA shows and SD with me. This girl goes to concerts about 2-3 times a week so I knew she would get it. About halfway through the Night 1 show she looked at me and said "obsessed". I think mostly anyone who "gets" music will walk out of a PJ show thinking it was nothing like they expected. The only problem is getting them to the show!
  • yeah i've gotten into heated arguments with a friend defending pearl jam for all they've accomplished. whether it be the ticketmaster ordeal, ticket prices, the whole target thing, etc. although due to his hunger for everything vinyl, he's turned into more of a music businessman than just an avid listener. he even talks about pj vinyl, not because he'd listen to it and enjoy it, but because it gives him a thrill to buy and sell on ebay and craigslist. it's like, dude, you're missing the whole point.

people like us who have stood by a band that survived the 90's and is now stronger than ever can only understand the power that is pearl jam.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • I have gone through this with family and friends for YEARS. My husband will never get it, but he accepts it and supports me through it all. Friends are different, and something happened just recently with two of my REALLY good friends that really made me think about what Pearl Jam means to me...and I wrote it down. I was on my annual girlfriend vacation on the beach in North Carolina with two other girls. They know how I love the band, but I usually try not to gush and be totally obsessed when I am around them. Anyway, we had been out all day, I was driving all day and was SO READY to be out of a car (horrible claustrophobic), and we find a bar. I need to chill, they are starving. We walk in, and "I Am Mine" is playing...in the middle of nowhere NC, on the beach. I die...that song, a drink, perfect chill opportunity. (I have "I am mine" tattooed on my wrist) They proceed to LEAVE...for food. I am like...hello, I have this fucking song tattooed on me!!! I need to stay...there is a reason I walked into THAT bar out on the boonies, and that song just starts. They so did not care or get it. It actually has changed my relationship with them. You know, they just really don't get ME, even after many years of knowing each other.

Here is some of what I wrote, trying to explain to friends...

Pearl Jam has always been my boyfriend. I met Pearl Jam on 10/11/1991 and have had a volatile, but deep relationship with them, and they have made me face my inner demons, though I have not always wanted to. Pearl Jam has made me think and be true to my convictions, live by example. They have been constant companions for 18-19 years, and I am just beginning to realize important and poignant position that Pearl Jam has in my life…vitality. Pearl Jam has the ability to tap into the mysterious, deep well of my emotions and it is not possible for me to explain this in ordinary language, as it can only be felt.

Music has been the underlying force that has taken me, and helped me through, every stage of life. It makes my world cease to exist for a moment. I get lost, I get overwhelmed, I feel. In other words, it makes my soul dance. Pearl Jam has been this force of nature through most of my defining years, whether it be having a child very young, drugs, getting married way too young, parents disowning me, school, work, suburbia, losing sight of me…I was drowning. I have drowned several times over. Pearl Jam has lyrically helped me out of some very dark places and has helped me fight to get me back again. I thank Jeff Aafedt (from the San Diego band The Rugburns) everyday for getting me and his sister into Trees that night in Dallas to see this band. It was fate, meant to be. I had an epiphany that night and it started my journey of getting the lost passion back IN me.

Their lyrics have been the soundtrack to my life. Their music takes my mind on a journey that I am unable to lead myself. It endows me not only aesthetically, but provides intellectual pleasure as well. It touches my soul and leaves an imprint, preparing it for something higher.

I owe them "me".
  • Evergreen wrote:
    I have gone through this with family and friends for YEARS. My husband will never get it, but he accepts it and supports me through it all. Friends are different, and something happened just recently with two of my REALLY good friends that really made me think about what Pearl Jam means to me...and I wrote it down. I was on my annual girlfriend vacation on the beach in North Carolina with two other girls. They know how I love the band, but I usually try not to gush and be totally obsessed when I am around them. Anyway, we had been out all day, I was driving all day and was SO READY to be out of a car (horrible claustrophobic), and we find a bar. I need to chill, they are starving. We walk in, and "I Am Mine" is playing...in the middle of nowhere NC, on the beach. I die...that song, a drink, perfect chill opportunity. (I have "I am mine" tattooed on my wrist) They proceed to LEAVE...for food. I am like...hello, I have this fucking song tattooed on me!!! I need to stay...there is a reason I walked into THAT bar out on the boonies, and that song just starts. They so did not care or get it. It actually has changed my relationship with them. You know, they just really don't get ME, even after many years of knowing each other.

Here is some of what I wrote, trying to explain to friends...

Pearl Jam has always been my boyfriend. I met Pearl Jam on 10/11/1991 and have had a volatile, but deep relationship with them, and they have made me face my inner demons, though I have not always wanted to. Pearl Jam has made me think and be true to my convictions, live by example. They have been constant companions for 18-19 years, and I am just beginning to realize important and poignant position that Pearl Jam has in my life…vitality. Pearl Jam has the ability to tap into the mysterious, deep well of my emotions and it is not possible for me to explain this in ordinary language, as it can only be felt.

Music has been the underlying force that has taken me, and helped me through, every stage of life. It makes my world cease to exist for a moment. I get lost, I get overwhelmed, I feel. In other words, it makes my soul dance. Pearl Jam has been this force of nature through most of my defining years, whether it be having a child very young, drugs, getting married way too young, parents disowning me, school, work, suburbia, losing sight of me…I was drowning. I have drowned several times over. Pearl Jam has lyrically helped me out of some very dark places and has helped me fight to get me back again. I thank Jeff Aafedt (from the San Diego band The Rugburns) everyday for getting me and his sister into Trees that night in Dallas to see this band. It was fate, meant to be. I had an epiphany that night and it started my journey of getting the lost passion back IN me.

Their lyrics have been the soundtrack to my life. Their music takes my mind on a journey that I am unable to lead myself. It endows me not only aesthetically, but provides intellectual pleasure as well. It touches my soul and leaves an imprint, preparing it for something higher.

I owe them "me".

I really enjoyed reading this... You rule! You totally put it into perspective....Isn't it wierd how PJ pops up out of nowhere?! Like when you walked into that bar....They are very good at doing things like that!
  • I am not alone-great post!
    rustedsigns
  • I saw them twice in LA last month and now am going to see them next weekend in Perth. People look at me as if I'm strange - "why do you want to see them again???" Funny, I'm only asked this by those who have never seen them live - everyone else gets it.
  • I saw them twice in LA last month and now am going to see them next weekend in Perth. People look at me as if I'm strange - "why do you want to see them again???" Funny, I'm only asked this by those who have never seen them live - everyone else gets it.

The Perth show will be my first!
  • KevDylan wrote:
    I saw them twice in LA last month and now am going to see them next weekend in Perth. People look at me as if I'm strange - "why do you want to see them again???" Funny, I'm only asked this by those who have never seen them live - everyone else gets it.

The Perth show will be my first!

Kev, you'll be excited ;)
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    BeeGirl86 wrote:
    I have been in love with Pearl Jam since about 6th grade, I am 22 now. Whenever I get a chance to see them live, it is a meaningful experience to me. Each time I see them I am amazed, and usually can not put into words how the show made me feel and the experience I had. After the show, when I have to go back to the regular world to people whom do not have the same passion for Pearl Jam...there is one thing that drives me crazy. When people ask me how the show was, there are no words to describe really. These people would not even understand if I tried to explain the expereience. Pearl Jam is unlike another band (to me) and seeing them live is unlike any other concert experience. I just wanted to vent...I'm not sure I even got my point across haha but I just wanted to vent.

I miss you alreddie...

Most people would think I was a nutter if I tried to explain my love for PJ, so I keep that side of myself quiet, though I have let on to a few people I'm plane jumping to see them this time around. I'm a lot older than you, and I'm supposed to be "over" rock groups at my age, which shits me up the wall. People my age are generally boring to me. PJ is definitely an experience, and the ultimate in excitement which is something I crave cos normally my everyday life is just so so. So I will be getting my jollies over the next week when the boys hit our shores, cant believe there's only a few days to go before we see them!
  • i dont really care anymore..me,my friends and in this board get it ,so im Jampy(=happy)..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZDSo_4FIgI
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • jened10jened10 Posts: 170
    I, as well, have been wrapped up in Pearl Jam since the age of 12. I'm 27 now and feel as though PJ is one of my nearest and dearest friends. I have many friends who will listen to PJ and enjoy it, but never understand the way we all feel.

When I was 12 and my entire bedroom was filled with pictures of the band, I would turn all the lights out and just listen over and over. When I was finally able to go to a concert, I asked my dad to take me. It was one of the best nights...chillin with my dad and seeing the greatest inspiration in my life for the first time. I have been to a handful of other shows...most recently Philly 4 :) but definitely want to see MANY more!

One more thing, I just want to give everyone who doesn't fall in love with a true PJ fan like we all are some hope! I have been with my fiance for a long time and we are getting married in May. I have always listened to Pearl Jam around him...he likes the music, but I was never sure if he got it. Well, he was been to 2 concerts with me now (including Philly) and the other day he goes, "I just really wanted to listen to Backspacer today and it wasn't in my car. I was really bummed that I couldn't find it..." That just melted my heart a little
  • ...And they never will.
    I definitely appreciate those who do. :)
    I'm alive

Phila. 03. Camden nights 1&2 03. Hershey 03. Boston 04. Reading 04. St Louis 04. Montreal 05. Ottawa 05. AC 05. Phila. 05. NY Letterman Show 06. E Rutherford nights 1&2 06. Camden nights 1&2 06. Denver nights 1&2 06. Hawaii 06. Grant Park, Chicago 07. Van Couver 08.(EV Solo) Camden nights 1&2 08. NY nights 1&2 08. Hartford 08. Mansfield 08. Newark 08.(EV Solo) Phila. nights 1&2 09.(EV Solo) Baltimore nights 1&2 09.(EV Solo) Honolulu night 2 09.(EV Solo) Salt Lake City 09. Phila Spectrum 10/27 10/28 & 10/31/09. Newark, NJ 05.18.10
  • I <3 to hear how many people feel the same way : )
    I miss you alreddie.
  • Totally feel the same way as you. After this last run of shows when people asked me how they were, thinking I am a little crazy for seeing 3 of the exact same shows,I dont bother really going into detials. I just tell them saturday night was the greatest show ive ever seen or will ever see, in a very low key matter of fact sounding tone. Im also a 22 year old fan who got into them in the 6th grade btw.
    Get over here!
  • yeah...I just say, amazing and move on. No use of wasting energy on people who would never understand ha...pretty cool to hear about the same age ha
    I miss you alreddie.