Ed's basketball ball handling skills !

jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I noticed Ed was pretty slick in handling the basketball on Saturday night. I think he is too short for a career in the NBA, but I was quite impressed with his dribbling skills :)!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    jrnyc wrote:
    I noticed Ed was pretty slick in handling the basketball on Saturday night. I think he is too short for a career in the NBA, but I was quite impressed with his dribbling skills :)!

Lest not we forget his half-court shot in TB2K!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • jrnyc wrote:

are you kidding me? he has to look at the ball while he dribbles and only dribbles with his right hand. that's the definition of someone with "no handle"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Ed?Handle?....hahahaha....I'd snatch that shit right off his ass...Ed couldn't fuck with my defence! :mrgreen:

plus i'm like 7 or 8 inches taller with long arms so that helps too :mrgreen:
  • EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    Yah, your perception here is not correct. Ed's hoops skills are pure playground. It's quite clear, from all the video clips over the years, that he never really had proper instruction as a teen.

I'm sure he can get by with some old-man moves in an average pick-up game. But, in terms of actual proper form, he's got none.

I guess you could argue that the ball is an instrument in "Sweet Lew," thus the dribbling skills can't really be judged.

I'll say this: Of the basketball and baseball clips I've seen of Ed over the years, all of them seem to show a guy who, for whatever reason, did not play either sport on an organized team high school. His form in both sports is not good.

Now, as a surfer or paddle surfer, he may be much better. I don't know. And, of course, there's the one-a-million voice and stage persona. He's got that going for him, which is nice.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Jeff has legit game. But, then again, Jeff could never be the front man of a internationally celebrated rock band. The pointing at the shoe was not good.
  • he is too good in basketball..got this info from his friend that play in Chicago together.. ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Damn, from where I was in the nosebleeds it looked like he was doing pretty good, going back and forth :)! I did like the way he started Do The Evolution !
  • EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    he is too good in basketball..got this info from his friend that play in Chicago together.. ;)

I just watched again that one-on-one clip from 2000 DVD. It's just 17 seconds long but my instinct is telling me that Ed's game is fade aways and hook shots. The handle I'm seeing in that video shows little hope of taking any good defender off the dribble from the perimeter.

So, in a pickup game, I'm saying that if you deny Ed the ball on the block, you'd take him out of his game. I'm pretty sure I could defend him well. Though, I suspect he throws elbows.

On the other hand, Jeff's game looks practiced. He'd be tougher to stop.

All this talk is making me want to play a pickup game of basketball. And, it occurs to me now that I would have an arsenal of great trash talking one-liners to deliver to Eddie Vedder in a game of pickup basketball.

Just a couple to be used after a made jump shot:

"I was born behind the stripe, and I just drained another triple."

[No words. Simply raise arms in a V and jog backwards down the court.]
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Ed?Handle?....hahahaha....I'd snatch that shit right off his ass...Ed couldn't fuck with my defence! :mrgreen:

yeah, but you would leave before the game was over. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    from what i saw, i wouldn't be scared of his game.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Hold on here, lets give the man a break. He was clearly dribbling to the beat of Sweet Lew. He was more concerned with staying in time then showing off his handle. Now I'm not saying he could hang with Jeff, or Gmoney for that matter, but that was no display of his true talent.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • 81 wrote:
    Ed?Handle?....hahahaha....I'd snatch that shit right off his ass...Ed couldn't fuck with my defence! :mrgreen:

yeah, but you would leave before the game was over. :lol:

if i was playing Ed 1 on 1..that shit would be over before it started! :lol::lol:
  • Gmoney wrote:
    Hold on here, lets give the man a break. He was clearly dribbling to the beat of Sweet Lew. He was more concerned with staying in time then showing off his handle. Now I'm not saying he could hang with Jeff, or Gmoney for that matter, but that was no display of his true talent.

he's got game...not mad game...but he's got game.
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    EasyE wrote:
    I guess you could argue that the ball is an instrument in "Sweet Lew," thus the dribbling skills can't really be judged.

/\ This

I'm sure the basketball was being used as an instrument to add to the song. I noticed there was a mike set up to pick up sounds from the dribbling, and distinctly remember hearing squeaks like shoes make on a b-ball court during Sweet Lew. Not sure if the squeaking was from Ed's shoes or someone else though.
    I'd like to use this thread to officially challenge Ament to a game of one on one. I want to go on record as the best baller in the Jamily. (Yes i still use that term) Bring it on Jeff! If you win you can have my basketball.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732

I would let the man win. He freackin Eddie Vedder for Godsakes!
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Gmoney wrote:
    I'd like to use this thread to officially challenge Ament to a game of one on one. I want to go on record as the best baller in the Jamily. (Yes i still use that term) Bring it on Jeff! If you win you can have my basketball.

If you want to be the best baller in the "Jamily", then you have to face her. :lol:

http://www.jamily.com.br/

Pearl Jam has nothing to do with it. ;)
  • Gmoney wrote:

slow ya roll Gmoney...my black friends used to call me White-chael Jordan...my game is no joke son!! :mrgreen: ...I get Jeff first! 8-)
  • Wilds wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

If you want to be the best baller in the "Jamily", then you have to face her. :lol:

i would not mind some one on one with her! ;):mrgreen::lol:

hope the wife doesn't see this! :lol::lol:
    Gmoney wrote:

slow ya roll Gmoney...my black friends used to call me White-chael Jordan...my game is no joke son!! :mrgreen: ...I get Jeff first! 8-)
    HAHA i see a little "porch" one on one tourney in the future... Or how about we team up, crazy? Challenge Jeff and Ed to a little 2 on 2? We'd be legends... I'm almost 30, but I've been tearing it up in the chicago rec leagues as of late... My jumper is on point!
    Wilds wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

I will school her! It's Ament i'm worried about....
  • ed's dribble kinda looked like richie cunningham's on happy days.
  • Gmoney wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

HAHA i see a little "porch" one on one tourney in the future... Or how about we team up, crazy? Challenge Jeff and Ed to a little 2 on 2? We'd be legends... I'm almost 30, but I've been tearing it up in the chicago rec leagues as of late... My jumper is on point!

:lol::lol: nice!....those pussies don't want none of this! ;):mrgreen::lol:
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Kinda looked like a sucka dribble to me, baiting suckas into reaching..

And the Porch one on one tourney sounds like a fabulous idea. We should start Sunday morning at Laguna or Newport beach courts…case of beer to the winner!
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
    Aero83_ wrote:
    Kinda looked like a sucka dribble to me, baiting suckas into reaching..

And the Porch one on one tourney sounds like a fabulous idea. We should start Sunday morning at Laguna or Newport beach courts…case of beer to the winner!
    In all seriousness, crazy breed and I vs Ament and Vedder, loser donates said amount to PJ's charity of choice. Bring it on rockstars!!

PJ one on one tourney could raise mad loot for charity too... this idea is almost as sick as my cross over!
  • i've seen ed play several games of 1:1 and 2:1 at a gym in w. seattle. he is hillarious. looks like he's doing it for the enjoyment of it rather than competition.

ps. adam kasper...much better than ed.
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    To quote Charles Barkley.... "That was just Tirrible!"

Keeping the beat is one thing, the style points were a big fat Zero! :lol:
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    id like to chime in and say I may be the 'worst' basketball player in the world (barring disability).

i was mesmerized by Eddie's dribbling.
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    edited November 2009
    He'll just steal it...

Sweet Lew's Basketball was used as an instrument... Yes Eddie did not look like he was coordinated, but trying to keep some kinda beat would be hard to that song haha
    Post edited by vital5 on
  • wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    ed's dribble kinda looked like richie cunningham's on happy days.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • remember when jeff was on that mtv bball thing?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*