The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    The Fixer wrote:
    had to put colon in

you mean the phillie phanatic (that's who he looks like)

Costas...colon checks in at 5'10, 265. hahaha

real good 1/2 inning :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    JOHN STERLING IS A FUCKING NUMBNUT.

"I have no idea Pujols would turn down $200 million, it makes no sense."
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    The Fixer wrote:
    had to put colon in

From the Galapagos Islands... :lol::lol::lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I had a feeling he was going to take him deep there.
    The Fixer wrote:
    had to put colon in

You still watching? Costas is tearing Bonds apart?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    had to put colon in

You still watching? Costas is tearing Bonds apart?

Had to mute TV for a conference call. THese things are pointless. I"m paying more attention to the TV than what people are discussing on the call
    The Fixer wrote:
    Had to mute TV for a conference call. THese things are pointless. I"m paying more attention to the TV than what people are discussing on the call

Gotcha, I hear he is absolutely tearing Bonds apart, unreasonably. Costas has never been a fan of Bonds but I hear hes pretty absurd right now.

Conference calls are dumb. I have a 4:30 on this afternoon, fucking west coast clients.
    this is like a beer league softball game.

tex should have had ortiz's ball. he makes that play 9 times out of 10
    Mexican gangster pitching against the yankees=horrible. Hate rooting against Aceves.
    UGH
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    Saw this coming. Fenway park can make anyone a .300 hitter
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,572
    igotid88 wrote:

do you see the phils bouncing back tomorrow?
    www.myspace.com
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    igotid88 wrote:

Yeah because the short porch in right in old and new Yankee Stadium has never helped a hitter ever. :lol: :roll:
    32 shows and counting...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Kraven wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Yeah because the short porch in right in old and new Yankee Stadium has never helped a hitter ever. :lol: :roll:

I think Fenway is still a better hitters ballpark, look at some of the Yankee greats and there numbers are up in Fenway.

ps:Who ever came up with Sunday night baseball is evil.
    Especially when you have a Sunday season ticket package and live in Philadelphia. next Sunday should be fun.
    yikes

Phil Hughes threw 47 pitches against the Red Sox on Friday and generated one missed swing -- by Kevin Youkilis in the second inning, and the expression on Youkilis' face afterward was along the lines of You gotta be kidding me … He was not fooled; he just couldn't believe he missed the ball. Hitters have a phrase about pitchers with benign stuff -- "Good eatin'" -- and this is certainly how the Red Sox saw Hughes.
    The Fixer wrote:
    yikes

Phil Hughes threw 47 pitches against the Red Sox on Friday and generated one missed swing -- by Kevin Youkilis in the second inning, and the expression on Youkilis' face afterward was along the lines of You gotta be kidding me … He was not fooled; he just couldn't believe he missed the ball. Hitters have a phrase about pitchers with benign stuff -- "Good eatin'" -- and this is certainly how the Red Sox saw Hughes.

He'll get better as the season goes on. He didn't make his first start last year until April 15. So that could be it.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    yikes

He'll get better as the season goes on. He didn't make his first start last year until April 15. So that could be it.

Just like he got better as the 2010 season went on.

Not trying to be a dick. I'm not a yanks hater. Just saying though
    The Fixer wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    yikes

That was his first full year as a starter in the majors. Not many pitchers have the numbers he put up last year. He was 24 and coming off of 2 injuries. Factor in the second half he was skipped a few times possibly messing up his rhythm. The pitchers he's compared to like Buchholz and Grienke are now 26-29 and are past that.
    I miss igotid88
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,385
    The Fixer wrote:

He had one of the worst 18-win seasons in history. Fixer is right - he's really not that good.

Your offense & bullpen on the other hand...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    edited April 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

He had one of the worst 18-win seasons in history. Fixer is right - he's really not that good.

All I'm saying is that I'd be worried if I was a yanks fan. The Yanks history of developing pitchers is pretty terrible

Hughes threw well enough in the first half of last season that he was named to the American League All-Star team, and now he is a complete mystery to the Yankees; they have no idea if he'll contribute anything this season, because right now, he has no weapons. His velocity is down significantly -- he was throwing in the 89-90 mph range in his start against Boston on Friday -- and the movement on each of his pitches has all but disappeared. His fastball is flat, his cutter drifts, his curveball rolls instead of biting.

Why? Well, the Yankees don't think he's hurt. They think that most seasons of his career, Hughes has tended to build velocity from the outset of a season, rather than starting the year with good velocity, as he did in 2010.

But there may also be concern that as Hughes used the cut fastball effectively in the first half of last year, it took a toll: His arm angle -- which isn't the same as release point -- gradually got lower, and the quality of his fastballs diminished. His struggles really began last year.

Hughes' velocity was down all spring, and in his first start of this season, it looked like some of the Tigers' hitters -- most notably Miguel Cabrera -- were all but running up to the ball, like Happy Gilmore teeing off. In two starts this year, Hughes has allowed three homers and generated one strikeout, and allowed 11 runs in six innings.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer wrote:

again it was his first full season. Give him at least 3 full years. By your logic Halladay and Cliff Lee were not that good either.
    I miss igotid88
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

All I'm saying is that I'd be worried if I was a yanks fan

Hughes threw well enough in the first half of last season that he was named to the American League All-Star team, and now he is a complete mystery to the Yankees; they have no idea if he'll contribute anything this season, because right now, he has no weapons. His velocity is down significantly -- he was throwing in the 89-90 mph range in his start against Boston on Friday -- and the movement on each of his pitches has all but disappeared. His fastball is flat, his cutter drifts, his curveball rolls instead of biting.

Why? Well, the Yankees don't think he's hurt. They think that most seasons of his career, Hughes has tended to build velocity from the outset of a season, rather than starting the year with good velocity, as he did in 2010.

But there may also be concern that as Hughes used the cut fastball effectively in the first half of last year, it took a toll: His arm angle -- which isn't the same as release point -- gradually got lower, and the quality of his fastballs diminished. His struggles really began last year.

Hughes' velocity was down all spring, and in his first start of this season, it looked like some of the Tigers' hitters -- most notably Miguel Cabrera -- were all but running up to the ball, like Happy Gilmore teeing off. In two starts this year, Hughes has allowed three homers and generated one strikeout, and allowed 11 runs in six innings.

his velocity was down in spring training last year as well and he didn't make his first start untll April 15. Before that he was getting some work done in Tampa before his start. I'm not gonna write him off after 2 starts.

his strong start last year probably hurt him because instead of skipping his starts early in the season to save him for the second half. they had to keep him in and do the skip starts later in the year. He did have some good starts in the second half even though the numbers don't show it.
    I miss igotid88
    ok let's lock up this 9th inning
    Problem with sports is that everyone takes your last start for what you are. Like people here said, halladay and lee sucked before they were good. Hughes is young and has good stuff, no Yankees fan is ready to give up on the kid after 2 starts. Even if he struggles this year, dude can have a great year.

And there is a specific reason the yanks don't develop pitchers well, they don't have the time. When winning is a requirement, you can't exactly let a kid like Ian Kennedy try to figure it out
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Problem with sports is that everyone takes your last start for what you are. Like people here said, halladay and lee sucked before they were good. Hughes is young and has good stuff, no Yankees fan is ready to give up on the kid after 2 starts. Even if he struggles this year, dude can have a great year.

And there is a specific reason the yanks don't develop pitchers well, they don't have the time. When winning is a requirement, you can't exactly let a kid like Ian Kennedy try to figure it out

exactly. usually our young guys are pitching for other teams. most of us expected Hughes to sort of have a sophomore slump this year.
    I miss igotid88
    NICE WIN..LOVE SEEING THE SUX FANS LOOKING BAFFLED IN THE STANDS :lol:
    A-Rod scratched from lineup. He's sick
    I miss igotid88
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I like tonight: CC against lefty-heavy Boston line-up.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Let's get Becket out of the game early. Hate him so much.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful