Options

Speed of Sound: Solo vs. Full Band

TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Solo version is 10x better than the full band version hands down
9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    it's really just a matter of opinion, i liked the demo they released to fan club members after that online game. not the full band.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    TheGossman wrote:
    Solo version is 10x better than the full band version hands down

i second that.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    With the beuatiful lyrics...they could play that song with a Jug band in teh background and it was still be amazing.
  • Options
    it's really just a matter of opinion, i liked the demo they released to fan club members after that online game. not the full band

i must be out of the loop when did this happen?
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I can speak about solo version. Full band version doesn't exist to me - it's not a song at all.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    it's really just a matter of opinion, i liked the demo they released to fan club members after that online game. not the full band

i must be out of the loop when did this happen?
    Sometime just after the Fixer was released. There was an online scavenger hunt and at the end you could sound load an accoustic version. If you want to hear it - go to youtube
  • Options
    4.jpg
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    4.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

+1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Post edited by Gems and Rhinestones on
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    4.jpg
    I like full band more....but I have to agree with this photo. :ugeek:
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    you can find the solo version here:

www.gremmie.net

enjoy :)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I love the solo version. The album version is OK, not great. I do wonder if I would have liked the album version more if the solo demo had never been released. As it is the album version just doesn't sound right. Without the the solo I probably wouldn't have felt that way.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Speed of Sound was the biggest disappointment about Backspacer for me - even more so than Force of Nature, which is a much, much, much worse song.

What's fundamentally so disappointing about Speed of Sound is that we've all heard what an amazingly beautiful, haunting, moving, affecting song it was from Eddie's demo, but the band seems to have drained all the soul from it by trying to do far too much with it. It's a beautifully simple song. They made it far too complicated, so that now it's painfully overwrought.

But to give the rest of the band the credit they deserve, they transformed Unthought Known from a frankly boring song (lyrics notwithstanding) into something utterly transcendent...
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
  • Options
    Love BOTH versions. I must be the only fan that really likes the studio version...
  • Options
    pjampjam Posts: 101
    I love both versions. Its not my favorite song on the album but its not the worst. And to the guy that had no love for force of nature your crazy. Thats another great song. My least favorite on the album is Johnny Guitar but its still a good song. As a friend of mine says " Eddie could sing me the phone book and I'd love it"!!!
    09/13/98+08/29/00+11/05/00+11/06/00+12/08/02+
    12/09/02+06/01/03+06/02/03+06/03/03+06/05/03+
    06/06/03+06/07/03+07/02/03+07/03/03+07/08/03+
    07/09/03+07/11/03+07/14/03+09/28/04+09/29/04+
    10/01/04+10/08/04+10/03/05+05/13/06+05/24/06+
    05/25/06+ As many more as possible
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Speed of Sound was the biggest disappointment about Backspacer for me - even more so than Force of Nature, which is a much, much, much worse song.

What's fundamentally so disappointing about Speed of Sound is that we've all heard what an amazingly beautiful, haunting, moving, affecting song it was from Eddie's demo, but the band seems to have drained all the soul from it by trying to do far too much with it. It's a beautifully simple song. They made it far too complicated, so that now it's painfully overwrought.

But to give the rest of the band the credit they deserve, they transformed Unthought Known from a frankly boring song (lyrics notwithstanding) into something utterly transcendent...

Agree 100% with you.
    The solo version (demo) was beautiful and moving, but the final version is a disappointment.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    does anyone know how to obtain this track ? pm me
    itunes?
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,390
    The solo version is very moving, I love the subtle guitar notes after each chorus.

The full band version is moving but in different ways. I love singing along when the whole band is playing. Also, I get this really weird feeling whenever I hear it - like I'm on a little wooden rowing boat out in space heading towards the moon and it's rocking vey gently from side to side along with the beat of the song. Odd, I know.

Fantastic song.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I thought it sounded pretty good live in Philly
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

I agree with just about everything you said!

Speed of Sound was gorgeous in the demo version. I was so stoked for it on the album. Then I heard it and ugh... ruined. I've warmed to it since, but still burdened down w/ weird 80s synthesizers and just overall molasses. Force of Nature is probably the most forgettable song on the album for me. Finally, Unthought Known is indeed transcendent... it's a masterpiece.

Basically, what you said. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Full band Speed of Sound... All day all night every day. Love it!
  • Options
    Its not even close. The solo version is beautiful. The album version actually makes me sad/disappointed in a way. I heard the album version before demo and I thought it was the weakest song on the album (tied with Force of Nature, but that song is reallying growing on me). Then heard the demo and its haunting, melodic and very moving. The major problem with the album version is Matt Cameron. I love him but he just overwhelms the song. I have to agree, live in Philly it sounded good.
  • Options
    does anyone know how to obtain this track ? pm me
    itunes?
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I'm in the minority, but I thought it was pretty cool to have both versions and I definitely don't "hate" the album version as strongly as some do. With certain of the songs, I wish Ed would do more of this and put out both versions with studio recorded quality.
  • Options
    DempsDemps Posts: 98
    The demo is nice, but it sounds like another "Into the Wild" outtake instead of a Pearl Jam song and the album already has "Just Breathe" and "The End" which seem like EV solo songs. I love what the band did with "Speed of Sound" particularly the drumming from Matt, as it is absolutely counter to what you might expect and what 90% of drummers would do. I think the song greatly benefits from what the rest of the musicians brought to it.
    I suggest you step out on your porch...run away my son...see it all...oh see the world...

Springfield, MA 4/6/94 -- Boston, MA 4/11/94 -- Hartford, CT 10/2/96 -- Hartford, CT 9/13/98 -- Mansfield, MA 7/2/03 -- Reading, PA 10/1/04 -- Albany, NY 5/12/06 -- Milwaukee, WI 6/29/06 -- Mansfield, MA 6/30/08 -- Toronto, ON 9/21/09 -- Philadelphia, PA 10/31/09 -- Worcester, MA 10/16/13 -- Hartford, CT 10/25/13 -- New York, NY 9/26/15 -- New York, NY 5/2/16 -- Boston, MA 8/5/16 -- Boston, MA 8/7/16 -- Boston, MA 9/2/18 -- Boston, MA 9/4/18 -- London, UK 7/8/22 -- Hamilton, ON 9/6/22 -- Toronto, ON 9/8/22 -- New York, NY 9/11/22 -- Chicago, IL 9/5/23 -- Chicago, IL 9/7/23
  • Options
    I like both, but I think the record version is superior.

The different parts of the song don't mesh as well for me on the demo. Feels like two different songs. I think the instrumentation on the record version pulls it all together (in the minority who feels Matt C's drum work is pitch perfect, maybe some of his best in terms of solidifying a sound) and really gives the final two chorus sections the power the lyrics call for. Plus the record version has lazers.
  • Options
    Plus the record version has lazers.
    but still burdened down w/ weird 80s synthesizers and just overall molasses.

Heh. One man's milk...
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Ed played it solo at a couple of solo gigs in June.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Solo version is another somewhat bland acoustic demo. No thanks. Full-band version has some life ...