So someone from Canada wants my spare Sydney ticket...

Comments

• you did cause offense.

if i labelled all americans based on the actions of few... WOW!!!

and i mean WOW!!!

We have 30 million people. We have enough people to sell out shows across the country.

We even have our own currency if you can believe it.

Don't label based on the actions of one.

P.S. he was from Quebec. (J/K... couldn't resist)[/quote]

now you're just being offensive.
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • polaris_x wrote:
    damm ... the education system in canada is failing ... so many of us can't read ... :?

no kidding. what a joke. the OP is merely pointing out the region the guy is from, his GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION, AND NOTHING MORE. He's not saying all canadians (me being one) are suspect. get a grip people.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    now you're just being offensive.

obviously, there is a misunerstanding here. I will edit out my post.. if i figure out how...

but it should be said. I'm not offending americans. I was using it as an example. If anything, my trips to Seattle and Philly have proven that Americans are quite splendid.

Everyone stereotypes Canadians as friendly and nice. The people in Seattle and especially Philly were unbelievably friendly and nice. I cannot stress the Philly part enough. Everyone in Philly was incredible, and all the Americans in the parking lot at Philly from other states and cities were awesome as well offering beer, food, and assistance to this one man who was having one HELLUVATIME putting his portable bbq together.

So my apologies. :)

cheers.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • no harm no foul, just seemed random to me :D
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Do not trust Canadians. We are sneaky and will do anything for alcohol. It's not surprising a bottle of wine was stolen
  • Can't believe some of you are still pissed off at me.
    Sorry for the offense caused, what more can I say?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • i dunno if this was said, i havent been following along. just get the person to send you a picture of them holding a sign saying something weird. like something they cant pull off google.
    "Somebody throw up a gun so I can shoot you all......Fuckers". Eddie
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    I've got a spare ticket for Sydney too and I would love to sell it to a Canadian. PM me.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Can't believe some of you are still pissed off at me.
    Come on now. You have to have known that it was a pretty silly thing for you to post to begin with. I think that you got an acceptable amount of backlash for posting something so dumb.

There is a chance that the guy wanting your ticket is the wine-bottle thief (assuming the information about him was correct and he was in fact Canadian). There is no chance that posting your concerns about selling your extra ticket to a Canadian will answer that question for you.

Good thing that the wine thief and your ticket purchaser weren't black. Imagine the shit you would have stirred up if you had asked if there was a chance that this black guy who wants my extra is a thief.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    Can't believe some of you are still pissed off at me.
    I'm not offended, but I'd like to point out the absurdity of your statement, and let you know kindly that you may be somewhat misguided in your fear of your buyer being this man from Quebec. According to a 2005 census, Quebec had a population of roughly 7.5 million people. A 2008 estimate suggests that Canada's population as a whole is about 33.2 million. What this means is that you are assuming the one person you meet is within a certain 7.5 million people out of 33.2 million, and then that your guy is one specific person. I actually think it's admirable that you want to stay away from this guy, but perhaps you simply were not aware of the odds being so heavily against selling your ticket to this one specific person.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Why don't you all just stone me.
    :roll:

Once again apologies.

Mods lock this thread, better still delete it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Why don't you all just stone me.
    :roll:

Once again apologies.

Mods lock this thread, better still delete it.

don't sweat it ... some of us can read ...
    This is getting hilarious...

Thoughts Arrive... I want to be cool with you, and everyone, but you did put a rather stupid post on the board. That you were called on.

To the people (especially Canadians) who are somehow siding with him... What you're basically agreeing to is that because of ONE... yes, ONE Canadian.... Because of ONE Canadians actions, it's now reasonable to screen all Canadians who are trying to sell or buy something.

Agreeing that if a Canadian wants to go forward with a transaction on the internet, we should also include our photograph to ensure that we are not this ONE Canadian.

I can only imagine the flack he would have received if you replaced the word "Canada" with "USA" in this thread.

And yes, we can all read... which is why this thread got the attention it did.

Good day to you all, and remember to wear your poppies.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • you want to go with odds? his point was not finding one person out of thirty odd million. come on, now. he actually had a pretty good point, in calculating his odds of how many people in canada are actually in the club, and how many of them actually went to philly. it's not that far-fetched.

he never said ANYTHING about Canadians. This would have been no different if the guy in question was from Alaska, and the thread title was "so someone from Alaska wants my spare sydney ticket".

Give the guy a break. He had good intentions. Stop jumping all over him like he's painting all of my fellow canadians as criminals. he was pointing out, again, geographical location, not background.

read the post, people. it's quite simple.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Parksy wrote:
    This is getting hilarious...

Thoughts Arrive... I want to be cool with you, and everyone, but you did put a rather stupid post on the board. That you were called on.

To the people (especially Canadians) who are somehow siding with him... What you're basically agreeing to is that because of ONE... yes, ONE Canadian.... Because of ONE Canadians actions, it's now reasonable to screen all Canadians who are trying to sell or buy something.

Agreeing that if a Canadian wants to go forward with a transaction on the internet, we should also include our photograph to ensure that we are not this ONE Canadian.

I can only imagine the flack he would have received if you replaced the word "Canada" with "USA" in this thread.

And yes, we can all read... which is why this thread got the attention it did.

Good day to you all, and remember to wear your poppies.

it is reasonable to SCREEN anyone when safety is an issue ... a girl was assaulted possibly two by this same guy ... what's wrong with screening??

if you're online dating and you know there's been a serial killer online and he's from wherever and you get a date request from someone who lives in that same area - you telling me you're not gonna screen further??

nowhere has he said all canadians are anything ... where does he say anything remotely close to that which many of you guys are getting your backs up over!?? ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    it is reasonable to SCREEN anyone when safety is an issue ... a girl was assaulted possibly two by this same guy ... what's wrong with screening??

if you're online dating and you know there's been a serial killer online and he's from wherever and you get a date request from someone who lives in that same area - you telling me you're not gonna screen further??

nowhere has he said all canadians are anything ... where does he say anything remotely close to that which many of you guys are getting your backs up over!?? ...
    You crack me up sometime Polaris. The first post was stupid -- even you must see that. I don't think that anybody actually took offense to it and I know that the intent was not to paint Canadians as anything. It was just a really dumb question that had absolutely no chance of being answered on here and the original poster rightfully got some message board flak for it. And yet life still goes on.
  • Songburst wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

You crack me up sometime Polaris. The first post was stupid -- even you must see that. I don't think that anybody actually took offense to it and I know that the intent was not to paint Canadians as anything. It was just a really dumb question that had absolutely no chance of being answered on here and the original poster rightfully got some message board flak for it. And yet life still goes on.

Come on songburst - the Canadians bombed the Baldwins!!!!! Kill Canada with their beadly eyes, except Vancouver where my uncle and his family live :) It's aboot respect dude. :lol:
  • you want to go with odds? his point was not finding one person out of thirty odd million. come on, now. he actually had a pretty good point, in calculating his odds of how many people in canada are actually in the club, and how many of them actually went to philly. it's not that far-fetched.

he never said ANYTHING about Canadians. This would have been no different if the guy in question was from Alaska, and the thread title was "so someone from Alaska wants my spare sydney ticket".

Give the guy a break. He had good intentions. Stop jumping all over him like he's painting all of my fellow canadians as criminals. he was pointing out, again, geographical location, not background.

Thanks dude, glad someone sees that I'm not trying to put down all Canadians.
    The dude mentioned Philly in his PM and it kind of freaked me out.
    I have relatives in Canada, why would I diss your country.
    Keep putting the boot in.
  • NossieNossie Posts: 1,039
    you want to go with odds? his point was not finding one person out of thirty odd million. come on, now. he actually had a pretty good point, in calculating his odds of how many people in canada are actually in the club, and how many of them actually went to philly. it's not that far-fetched.

Thanks dude, glad someone sees that I'm not trying to put down all Canadians.
    The dude mentioned Philly in his PM and it kind of freaked me out.
    I have relatives in Canada, why would I diss your country.
    Keep putting the boot in.

I totally understand where you were coming from... especially after reading that thread... the msg wasn't an attack on anyone, just an airing of your thoughts... but on the flip side, i get why someone would have taken it in that manner... none-the-less, we'll still be partying together in the Rad... !!! =)
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014
    Did the guy even mention that he went to the shows?

I think that the setlists in Philly were pretty wild too but I wasn't there. This thread is funny.
  • Songburst wrote:

I think that the setlists in Philly were pretty wild too but I wasn't there. This thread is funny.

nice avatar dude. Have you heard Crash Karma? So far to me it sounds like cookie-cutter radio rock, so we'll see what the rest of the song sound like.

God I miss IME.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Songburst wrote:

uhhh ... i'm pretty sure you already know that i found the original post reasonable - hence what i've been writing ... if it had absolutely no chance of being answered - why was it answered several times then? if you think no one took offense to it ... i humbly suggest you reread the responses ...
    Songburst wrote:

nice avatar dude. Have you heard Crash Karma? So far to me it sounds like cookie-cutter radio rock, so we'll see what the rest of the song sound like.

God I miss IME.

Scenery & Fish remains one of my all-time favourite records... pearl jam included.
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Parksy wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

God I miss IME.

Scenery & Fish remains one of my all-time favourite records... pearl jam included.

I prefer S/T over S&F. But yeah, it is a great record. Were you still a fan after Edwin left? Cause the Quicksilver Meat Dream is one fantastic (and unfortunately fairly unknown) gem.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    To be honest I mostly fell off the wagon once Edwin left. I gave Blue Green Orange a couple listens through and pretty much got turned off. But I shall now look into Quicksilver Meat Dream. Thanks :)
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    Cause the Quicksilver Meat Dream is one fantastic (and unfortunately fairly unknown) gem.

Agreed. It is a gem. Have you ever found out what the title means? It was a big secret when the album was released.
  • twojawas wrote:
    Cause the Quicksilver Meat Dream is one fantastic (and unfortunately fairly unknown) gem.

Agreed. It is a gem. Have you ever found out what the title means? It was a big secret when the album was released.

no, I don't have a clue. you?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    twojawas wrote:

no, I don't have a clue. you?
    Apparently it was a made-up phrase that sounded cool -- I believe Christian came up with it. The album is good but a little too much of a Tool sound for my liking. Blue Green Orange is a fucking amazing album though. Scenery and Dig are really good too.
    Songburst wrote:

God I miss IME.
    Have heard Crash Karma -- not sure about them yet. Was a huge fan of IME, OLP and the Tea Party in the 90s though.
  • If the mods won't delete this thread it may as well be derailed :D