Grabbing for items the band tosses out into the crowd

mrswhatsitmrswhatsit Posts: 27
edited November 2009 in The Porch
One comment about stuff the band tosses out into the crowd. People have every right to make a reach for it if it's a general toss (not like the wine bottle on Saturday which was being given to a certain person), but please if some has rightfully secured it, let it go and enjoy the rest of the show. It was very sad to see the fight over the tambourine on Saturday, between section 102 and 103 around row 8. It got ugly and security had to intervene. No one wants it to get to the point where the band simply won't toss anything out because they don't want people getting hurt.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Yea, the tambourine sailed right over my head and landed a few seats from me. I watched it go, but a couple of people around me were literally pushing people out of the way to get to it. Not cool. But they were probably the same douche bags in the hallways that thought shoving people would help when nobody was moving. People suck sometimes...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,901
    some of you people are IDIOTS. at one of the shows i went to mike threw out a pick and the people around me acted like rabid dogs for the pick. it's a freaking piece of PLASTIC! i don't care if mike or eddie or even elvis raised from the dead throws out a pick, act like decent human beings for God's sake. some of you people are PATHETIC. one time one of my friends caught a drumstick from matt and a guy ripped it away from her. luckily, matt saw it and walked down and handed her another one. matt's a class act. some PJ fans, however, are garbage.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • DeLukin wrote:
    Yea, the tambourine sailed right over my head and landed a few seats from me. I watched it go, but a couple of people around me were literally pushing people out of the way to get to it. Not cool. But they were probably the same douche bags in the hallways that thought shoving people would help when nobody was moving. People suck sometimes...

Yeah. It's easy to forget that some of the people who go to the shows are not like the people who post on here. Even with a predominantly 10C audience like we had on Saturday, there are still some undesirables that will find their way into the shows. Like the jerk I ran into on the way out of the arena. Clearly people weren't moving much due to the lack of exits, and yet this guy thought it would be cool to lean in and yell in everyone's ear right in front of him. Having someone yell "move out of my way, motherf***er!" was not how I would have preferred to leave the show. If only everyone could be more respectful. It's too bad that a few bad apples can ruin things for other people. Hopefully most people were able to enjoy the amazing shows despite these outliers.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • mrswhatsit wrote:
    One comment about stuff the band tosses out into the crowd. People have every right to make a reach for it if it's a general toss (not like the wine bottle on Saturday which was being given to a certain person), but please if some has rightfully secured it, let it go and enjoy the rest of the show. It was very sad to see the fight over the tambourine on Saturday, between section 102 and 103 around row 8. It got ugly and security had to intervene. No one wants it to get to the point where the band simply won't toss anything out because they don't want people getting hurt.

i *just* posted about this very incident in edvedder913's thread about her being accosted for her wine bottle.

seriously - that was insane!
    i'm going to guess we were right near each other. honestly, i didn't even SEE the tamborine come our way - typical of me :P and i probably wouldn't even try for it, and looking at what happened to that guy, that's why! :? :( :wtf: it was soooo bad, and lasted waaayyyy too long, i'm a chick and i went to his aide to try and get people off him! i think his friend/GF thought i was trying for the tamborine :? , understandable i guess...but looking at the guy he looked distressed/possibly injured, thus why i wanted to try and block some people off him. i had some guy grab me and kiss me on the cheek, tell me he loved me :lol: ...but he was just a drunk/happy fan...no harm, no foul...and the whole night most everyone around seemed pretty respectful and having a blast so that tamborine incident was just crazy/sad.

this is also why the ONLY souvenirs from shows i've ever gotten were 2 picks and a setlist handed to me, directly, b/c there's just NO way i would ever dive/fight it out...for anything....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Yeah some people are just garbage, and the fact that this was Philly more than amplifies that fact.

My car, and 2 others around mine, had their sideview mirrors literally broken off. Classy.
  • Does it make it Philly man, come on. A lot of people at the concert were from out of town. Especially from the NY area. I even had a few NYorkers acting like aholes around me, but I'm not going to put it out there as the city and the people were at fault. If it's that bad here then please don't come back.
  • mrswhatsit wrote:

i *just* posted about this very incident in edvedder913's thread about her being accosted for her wine bottle.

seriously - that was insane!
    i'm going to guess we were right near each other. honestly, i didn't even SEE the tamborine come our way - typical of me :P and i probably wouldn't even try for it, and looking at what happened to that guy, that's why! :? :( :wtf: it was soooo bad, and lasted waaayyyy too long, i'm a chick and i went to his aide to try and get people off him! i think his friend/GF thought i was trying for the tamborine :? , understandable i guess...but looking at the guy he looked distressed/possibly injured, thus why i wanted to try and block some people off him. i had some guy grab me and kiss me on the cheek, tell me he loved me :lol: ...but he was just a drunk/happy fan...no harm, no foul...and the whole night most everyone around seemed pretty respectful and having a blast so that tamborine incident was just crazy/sad.

this is also why the ONLY souvenirs from shows i've ever gotten were 2 picks and a setlist handed to me, directly, b/c there's just NO way i would ever dive/fight it out...for anything....

That was nice of you to try to help the tambourine guy, and yes, I'd never dive for anything either. There were a few drunk guys in that area, but one loser stands out - the tall guy with the black baseball cap who kept spilling beer, trying to push up to the front, and being a general inconsiderate dolt. You're way more understanding than I would have been. He would have been doubled over four nanoseconds after his drunk stranger lips touched me. And I so don't get trying to shove into other people's space. We're all in the fan club, we all had great seats, we were all happy to be there, we'd all like to be as close to the stage as possible (and we were! :D ), and possibly catch a souvenir. But the difference in the view between row 8 and row 4 is not major, and drunk guys who like to stagger around the middle of the aisle, waving beer cups and trying to rush the stage should stay in the parking lot.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    the people around me were very nice- Eddie pointed at me- me stunned- I was like a deer in headlights most of the show - then tossed a pick but it didn't quite make it and row 1 gave it to me- thank you row 1
    everyone around us were just awesome
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    mrswhatsit wrote:

I go to alot of different band's shows, PJ throws more stuff into the audience then any group I have seen. With people acting like idiots in fighting for stuff, dont be surprised one day if they stop doing it.

Be civil people, if something lands in front of you or is coming right at you , grab it and its yours. But dont knock people over to get things , that is totally uncool. I have been fortunate to be up close at shows and had things close by, if I was a real asshole I guess I could push people out of the way, etc, etc to get things , but it is an asshole thing to do.
  • mrswhatsit wrote:

That was nice of you to try to help the tambourine guy, and yes, I'd never dive for anything either. There were a few drunk guys in that area, but one loser stands out - the tall guy with the black baseball cap who kept spilling beer, trying to push up to the front, and being a general inconsiderate dolt. You're way more understanding than I would have been. He would have been doubled over four nanoseconds after his drunk stranger lips touched me. And I so don't get trying to shove into other people's space. We're all in the fan club, we all had great seats, we were all happy to be there, we'd all like to be as close to the stage as possible (and we were! :D ), and possibly catch a souvenir. But the difference in the view between row 8 and row 4 is not major, and drunk guys who like to stagger around the middle of the aisle, waving beer cups and trying to rush the stage should stay in the parking lot.

to be honest, i was simply fearful for his safety. :oops: i would hope if i were in that situation, someone, or a few somebodys...would come to my aid as well. i really thought he got hurt.

and oh my....yes....that was him! :lol: he was a HUGE guy, and he was drunk. overall, while annoying...he was innocent enough and i think his friend tried to keep him in line. he also kissed me so quickly, and outta no where, i was just kinda shocked. it also was not done in an ugly way so while i definitely did not appreciate it, it was not worth ruining my good time and no, being a 5'4" chick, i wasn't about to get physical with a giant drunk guy.

i hear ya about the space. i've said to a few friends since, i just don't get it. you are sooo right. we ALL had such AWESOME seats! (thank you again tony for the fantastic row 8 spot - you rock my friend!) so these 2 giants were row 7, right on the inner aisle, GREAT view...made even greater bu the fact that they were giants, short people in front of em to boot....so absolutely NO reason to need to get closer, get a better view, etc. i felt bad for the security guy b/c the big, drunk guy jut going right up to him. the guy was piss drunk, no doubt. early in the show almost every other song either he or his buddy went an got more beers... :? and hey, no judgements....if that's how you enjoy a show, fine. if he were short, i wouldn't have minded at all. :lol: but having to dodge his drunk ass the whole show was difficult, and often times i did have to put my hands up against his back so he didn't fall back on me. c'est la vie. i had a GREAT time...i think he and his friend did, hahahahaa...so overall, did not infringe on my experience at all.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• mrswhatsit wrote:
    This happened in the row right behind me. I didn't think it got too ugly, it just took some time to peel the people away ;) . Once possession was established, people gave up grabbing for it, no " fight " happened. But some people were on top of each other on the floor, & like I said before they had to be "peeled" off. His gf/wife did a GREAT job covering up on him ( just like a fumble recovery), made sure she was the closest to him. Nice protection & she had a cool costume too, btw. Congratulations to the tambourine recipients 8-) !
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • mrswhatsit wrote:
    This happened in the row right behind me. I didn't think it got too ugly, it just took some time to peel the people away ;) . Once possession was established, people gave up grabbing for it, no " fight " happened. But some people were on top of each other on the floor, & like I said before they had to be "peeled" off. His gf/wife did a GREAT job covering up on him ( just like a fumble recovery), made sure she was the closest to him. Nice protection & she had a cool costume too, btw. Congratulations to the tambourine recipients 8-) !

while technically not a "fight"..i think the op is merely referencing the fact that the guy did practically get tackled, was pushed down the ground, and people WERE still grabbing at him/it, even after he CLEARLY had it in his possession...to the point that he had it completely wrapped up in his arms, pulled close to his body. i was right there, witnessed - in amazement - the whole thing. i've seen plenty of people dive/grab for tamborines and picks, but never that long. and yes, his gf/wife had a GREAT pebbles flintstone costume and she was rocking out ALL night long - BOTH of them looked to be having a GREAT time, so was awesome to see them get the tamborine.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• A drunk guy with a black hat kissing people? It's not the same guy who ended up assaulting a fan for the wine bottle is it? His pic is in the assault thread. If it is, it might help 10C pinpoint where he was sitting and who he is.
  • A drunk guy with a black hat kissing people? It's not the same guy who ended up assaulting a fan for the wine bottle is it? His pic is in the assault thread. If it is, it might help 10C pinpoint where he was sitting and who he is.

no.
    NOT the same guy.
    this guy, while definitely out of line....was just a drunk fan, totally into the show having a GREAT time with his buddy. again, not the same guy. just wanted to clarify that fact.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• michelleelisemichelleelise Posts: 346
    edited November 2009
    no.
    NOT the same guy.
    this guy, while definitely out of line....was just a drunk fan, totally into the show having a GREAT time with his buddy. again, not the same guy. just wanted to clarify that fact.

OK, cool. They found his pic, but I don't think we know whether they've been able to identify him so if it had been the same guy, it would be good to know which seats were his. Oh, well. I guess there was just a lot of strangers kissing strangers that night :D
    Post edited by michelleelise on
  • at a show in West Palm Beach Florida, I was in row 12 or 14 with my girlfriend at the time who was 5 foot 2, 115 pounds, and Matt threw his sticks out, and one was coming right at her, I thought she was about to catch it, and some dickless frog-fucker bowled her over. Actually knocker her down, he got the stick, and took off. it happened so fast and i was in such disbelief that I did nothing. Man, I was pissed, but i didnt want to let it ruin my night, so we let it go.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • well the beer stands are open just about all night....too many chumps turn to assholes because they don't know when to say when...and then shit like this happens!!....i did have to laugh at all the stupid fucks who were paying $8.2-fucking-5 for a cup of "watered down poor excuse for beer"...but already i have heard a few stories of shit getting ugly with fans in Philly....not cool!
  • And people are as greedy as the band is generous. I was three rows back at Toronto and I watched the same fatass chick pick up seven or so of mike's picks. Each time she'd pick up one or three she'd look around and cheer for herself like a fat obnoxious you know what. The only time I ever got anything from a show, is when I was FRC at Hartford, because Eddie handed the picks to my friend and I. Thank you sir!

My thoughts on tambourines is that Ed shouldn't frisbee them too far out into the crowd. Front couple rows only, and he should designate who they're intended for...not that that even helps, as we're reading over the philly wine bottle.

It's a priviledge to be that close to the stage, and part of that priviledge is to maybe get a souvenir. If you're back a bunch of rows: too bad, plain and simple.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • My thoughts on tambourines is that Ed shouldn't frisbee them too far out into the crowd. Front couple rows only, and he should designate who they're intended for...not that that even helps, as we're reading over the philly wine bottle.

It's a priviledge to be that close to the stage, and part of that priviledge is to maybe get a souvenir. If you're back a bunch of rows: too bad, plain and simple.

that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard; "if you're in the first few rows, you should be treated better than the rest of the crowd". :roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    And people are as greedy as the band is generous. I was three rows back at Toronto and I watched the same fatass chick pick up seven or so of mike's picks. Each time she'd pick up one or three she'd look around and cheer for herself like a fat obnoxious you know what. The only time I ever got anything from a show, is when I was FRC at Hartford, because Eddie handed the picks to my friend and I. Thank you sir!

My thoughts on tambourines is that Ed shouldn't frisbee them too far out into the crowd. Front couple rows only, and he should designate who they're intended for...not that that even helps, as we're reading over the philly wine bottle.

B/c some "fatass chick" got a bunch of picks, she's greedy? Mike throws them out by the handful, it's nobody's job to make sure everybody in the crowd gets one.

Ed should throw the tambourines further into the crowd. He does alot of picking and choosing and randomly tossing, but he doesn't ever seem to really give it a good throw.

The only privilege that comes with having close seats is a being close to the stage.
  • Lately the greed at the shows are making me sick.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • My thoughts on tambourines is that Ed shouldn't frisbee them too far out into the crowd. Front couple rows only, and he should designate who they're intended for...not that that even helps, as we're reading over the philly wine bottle.

that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard; "if you're in the first few rows, you should be treated better than the rest of the crowd". :roll:

only to help curb chaos out in the crowds. i'm sure ed's not tossing them hoping that people fight over them. which is why when he's throwing them to the first few rows, he points out the person he intends to have the souvenir. obviously he can't do that twenty rows back.

watch...in the end, the tambourine throwing to the farther out rows will stop. you'll see.

• theanswersarefataltheanswersarefatal Posts: 239
    edited November 2009
    DewieCox wrote:
    And people are as greedy as the band is generous. I was three rows back at Toronto and I watched the same fatass chick pick up seven or so of mike's picks. Each time she'd pick up one or three she'd look around and cheer for herself like a fat obnoxious you know what. The only time I ever got anything from a show, is when I was FRC at Hartford, because Eddie handed the picks to my friend and I. Thank you sir!

B/c some "fatass chick" got a bunch of picks, she's greedy? Mike throws them out by the handful, it's nobody's job to make sure everybody in the crowd gets one.

Ed should throw the tambourines further into the crowd. He does alot of picking and choosing and randomly tossing, but he doesn't ever seem to really give it a good throw.

The only privilege that comes with having close seats is a being close to the stage.

yeah she's greedy because she already had a few and could have given some to the people around her. and it may not be anybody's job, but since when is "giving" a job? most of the time people "VOLUNTEER" to give. so you're right, it is no one's "job"...it would be out of pure generosity to hand a pick to a fellow fan.

and speaking of "jobs", it didn't become eddie's job to make sure people weren't fighting over souvenirs until they started getting greedy. now he actually has to point at you...

when i was lucky enough to get picks, i gladly gave a couple away to folks next to and behind me, and to my sisters who were sitting in the lawn. why would i need more than one of the same exact pick?

and i'm sorry to be crass with the use of the phrase "fatass", but it was due to that very characteristic which allowed her to dominate the space around her. if i could have just gotten an arm in somewhere i probably could have snagged a pick, but seriously, her ass was in the way.
    Post edited by theanswersarefatal on

• Was fortunate enough to be down front Friday and it was pretty civil for the most part. Mike tossed a bunch of picks our way and after keeping a couple for ourselves, we passed the rest that we got to the people behind us.

But there was one jerk around us - when a guy in row 2 accidentally dropped his pick onto the ground in 1st row, this guy put his foot on it and would not move his foot or return the pick. Nothing on the order of what others have related, but as with everything else in life most people are great but there are always a few assholes who can ruin other people's experiences out of proportion to their actual numbers.
    96: 10-2 Hartford
    03: 7-11 Mansfield 3
    04: 9-28 Boston 1
    08: 6-28 Mansfield 1
    09: 10-30 Philly 3, 10-31 Philly 4
    10: 5-15 Hartford, 5-17 Boston
    11: 9-3 Alpine Valley, 9-4 Alpine Valley
    13: 10-15 Worcester 1, 10-16 Worcester 2, 10-25 Hartford
    16: 4-29 Philly 2, 5-1 MSG 1, 8-5 Fenway 1, 8-7 Fenway 2
    18: 9-2 Fenway 1, 9-4 Fenway 2
    21: 9-26 Ohana
    22: 5-6 LA, 5-7 LA, 5-16 Fresno
    EV SOLO: 8-2-08 Boston 2, 6-8-09 Albany 1, 6-15-11 Providence, 6-16-11 Boston, 6-18-11 Hartford, 11-1-12 Las Vegas
    Tres Mts: 3-27-11 Boston
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    DeLukin wrote:

Yeah. It's easy to forget that some of the people who go to the shows are not like the people who post on here. Even with a predominantly 10C audience like we had on Saturday, there are still some undesirables that will find their way into the shows. Like the jerk I ran into on the way out of the arena. Clearly people weren't moving much due to the lack of exits, and yet this guy thought it would be cool to lean in and yell in everyone's ear right in front of him. Having someone yell "move out of my way, motherf***er!" was not how I would have preferred to leave the show. If only everyone could be more respectful. It's too bad that a few bad apples can ruin things for other people. Hopefully most people were able to enjoy the amazing shows despite these outliers.

i dont get why people act like somehow posting here or joining the 10c makes you a better person. we've got the same percent of douchebags as any other segment of the population. and when it comes to merch... no way could you spend a day on the porch and see the 100 poster threads and be unaware that people around here clearly have no perspective when it comes to collecting more pj shit.
  • DewieCox wrote:

yeah she's greedy because she already had a few and could have given some to the people around her. and it may not be anybody's job, but since when is "giving" a job? most of the time people "VOLUNTEER" to give. so you're right, it is no one's "job"...it would be out of pure generosity to hand a pick to a fellow fan.

and speaking of "jobs", it didn't become eddie's job to make sure people weren't fighting over souvenirs until they started getting greedy. now he actually has to point at you...

when i was lucky enough to get picks, i gladly gave a couple away to folks next to and behind me, and to my sisters who were sitting in the lawn. why would i need more than one of the same exact pick?

and i'm sorry to be crass with the use of the phrase "fatass", but it was due to that very characteristic which allowed her to dominate the space around her. if i could have just gotten an arm in somewhere i probably could have snagged a pick, but seriously, her ass was in the way.

this whole exchange seriously has me laughing.....:lol:

and, i have to agree. i remember in london 2007 having a convo with a bunch of fans/friends, saying how i have never gotten a pick, etc. not a complaint, was simply an observation. one of my good friends - buru! my argentinian goddess!- practically on the spot handed me one of mike's picks b/c as she said, she had caught a handful. was one of the sweetest gestures, EVER! then, my very next show - dusseldorf - i was lucky enough to snag fron row on the rail between mike and jeff. while they did not personally hand them right to me, being that close....it was quite easy to get one from each. awesome momentos. so then, i now had 2 mike picks. i then passed on one of em to my good friend from here obi once - just a great guy who also happened to let me crash on his sofa for a week, played tour guide for me in his city, smoked me all up :D and we shared the nijmegen experiences. he was sooo psyched to have it. moral of the sotry? always pay it forward, and sure...your momma knew best - sharing is good. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• well this sort of thing is gonna happen at any big concert, its not gonna change unfortunately. you just either have to stop caring about trying to catch something or be ready to fight for it.

but its different when its for a specific person. dont be a dick.
  • for a little POSITIVITY in this thread, about this very subject....i nabbed this post from a fanview in the GTF forum here:
    mojamom2 wrote:
    This concert by far exceeded my expectations.

Highlights:
    - Rocky Video
    - Eddie with the gloves. Anyone on here lucky enough to catch one of them?
    - BUGS!...RATS!
    - Jeremy w/ string
    - Confetti and balloons at the end
    - Mike playing SSB at the end

thats all i can think of for now...tons tons more...A perfect send off to The Spectrum

I got one of the gloves, wouldn't say caught though. I turned around looking for it and found it in my seat. I went for it the same time another guy did--we both had our hands on it, but he kindly let me have it. I had it on my right hand nearly the entire night. Thank you Eddie, thank you to the guy who didn't fight me for it, and thank you to my new friend who sold me her extra 10C seat so my 16 y.o. could sit with my husband in mine and see his 2nd show! It was a magical night. Thank you Pearl Jam.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dude one row in front of me and a couple of seats over (sect 223 sat night) got a tamborine. there was no fighting, he caught it fair and square. actually, everyone in my little space that night was awesome.

just to give a positive post on the topic
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I am amazed at how people act when it comes to picks, setlists, etc. They are nice little keepsakes, but not worth fighting over.

I've caught a few picks, but immediatley handed them to someone next to me.

It's all about seeing a great show...everything else is just a diversion.