Philly 4 Poster Set Quadrilogy by Tom Tomorrow

Crazy MarcusCrazy Marcus Posts: 1,823
edited November 2009 in The Porch
PhillyQuadrilogyPosterSetsmall.jpg

Click on the small image above to view larger image. Whether it's your taste or not, it is what it is. ;)

Hopefully Tom Tomorrow will post images of the other 3 show posters on his website so you can see what the full effect looks like with everything lining up and good quality.

The full effect:
SDC11098.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• someone should give tom tomorrow some advice and tell him to stop making concert posters
    The third one isn't as bad though, just they all look too similar, unless its just supposed to be a crowd of of cartoon characters
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • someone should give tom tomorrow some advice and tell him to stop making concert posters
    The third one isn't as bad though, just they all look too similar, unless its just supposed to be a crowd of of cartoon characters
    It's supposed to be a set of four that when lined up as I have above, form the audience of the Halloween show with people dressed up as you see. http://thismodernworld.com/4964
    Tom Tomorrow:
    About those posters
    In response to a number of questions, yes I did a series of four posters for the Philly shows this week which will form one large scene when placed next to each other (though with gaps left in the images between each poster so they don’t have to be jammed right up against each other to look right, if that makes sense).

Since these were for a series of shows the week of Halloween, my idea was to have a giant retro pop-culture costume-party theme — superheroes, robots, space people, monsters, etc., along with a number of band-related/requested “cameos” in the background, all (at least in my mind’s eye) comprising the audience to the last shows at the Spectrum.

The trick was to design four posters which would each stand alone, would work as a larger image when the full set was displayed together, and would work when displayed in sets of two or three. I knew that some people would be attending all four shows and I wanted to create something special for them, but I didn’t want anyone who could only attend one or two shows feeling that they “had” to get the entire set.

As for questions about a signed and numbered edition of the set — definitely not until after the New Year. I’m still recuperating from the Chicago poster sale.

Also: apparently the images are also being used on shirts. Last night was the first I’d heard about that. I guess you can form a larger image with those as well, if you get three other friends together and each wear a different night’s shirt …

posted by Tom Tomorrow at 8:30 AM
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    Just not my taste I guess

easily my least favourite posters of the tour
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    I promised myself not to post anymore (personal reasons) and especially after finding out eV & Stone read the board...yikes, I am staying away. I've said way too much here and I knock on wood that they've never read my posts.

But I feel the need to defend Tom Tomorrow....I do confess it's because I've become a fan of his work when he got the job on the artwork and have been enjoying his other work - this modern world. I'm glad I found his site through PJ.

I just want to say that while I completely understand different tastes and especially not being accustomed to a different artist after being around Klaus/Ames for many years... I just have to ask why is it so different with his posters than it is with the album artwork?

He worked very hard on the album artwork and also the posters... as you can see his other work on his site, he always takes pride in his work.

It also fits the Halloween theme and it's open to interpretations too.... :)

Don't forget... he's also a PJ fan. I'm not talking about the people in this thread, but I saw some really nasty remarks elsewhere - nobody would dare saying that about Chiqu's work if they thought she did a terrible job (not that she did anyway - she did awesome there).

It's not Tom's personality to talk nasty about others...so why treat him like this (again, not to people here, but others out there)

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here... it's 3:35 am right now and I'm still up doing tomato canning, have been at it for many hours.... since this afternoon (oh that's yesterday). Been canning all week...

I hope Tom will post a review about the show... not sure which show he went to, but I really hope he posts his show experience.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    i think those posters are awesome.. just gutted he didn't have the top half of the woman in the red dress

GODDAMN IT TOM TOMORROW! DOES SHE EXIST?!
  • I like the idea of 4 set poster but I don't like the cartoon characters, there are so many other better characters around and wtf Kurt Russell is doing there, that is lame.
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Hell yeah, Kurt Russell is on there! Motherfuckin Snake Plissken, bitches! That character is also the basis for Metal Gear Solid's Snake. Those posters are awesome.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I like the posters... I dig the artwork. To each their own I guess.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
    I like the idea of 4 set poster but I don't like the cartoon characters, there are so many other better characters around and wtf Kurt Russell is doing there, that is lame.

my understanding is that Tom put in characters that PJ wanted, so that is why he is in there. I could be wrong though.

www.seanbrady.net
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    I like them
    nice change of pace and the colors look much better in person-they reminds me of ward suttons posters

I dont like them as much as the klausen SLC and toronto though
    Get_Right wrote:
    I like them
    nice change of pace and the colors look much better in person-they reminds me of ward suttons posters

Klausen SLC is an awesome print

www.seanbrady.net
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    yoke wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    I like them
    nice change of pace and the colors look much better in person-they remind me of ward suttons posters

Klausen SLC is an awesome print
    I actually like the horizontal Toronto better, but both are outstanding
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    It's "art." Art is subjective, we're all free to our opinions about these -- Tom is a big boy and has dealt with criticism his whole life I'd imagine. But I agree with above posts, no need to get nasty. (And believe me, I'm probably guilty of that when I've been so bummed about my main memento of an awesome show.... Sorry Ames!)

We've had a real range of posters this tour, that's for sure! Something for everyone, I'm sure.
    Is there a thread that shows all the posters? Merch thread i suspect (lazy, not really looking).

But off the top of my head -- yeah, I like Klausen's work, he seems to cater to my taste's the most.

That said, what Tom has done here is pretty creative! I like the whole quadrilogy (?) stitch-together aspect of this series, and yet how each really looks like a comic-book cover standing alone.

That said, what to say ... a bit too nerdy or geeky for me? And yeah, just flat out don't like his simple-line, solid-color style. I liked the humor of the San Diego poster more in this vein of cartoonishness. I like all of these more than the LA skulls and "dark" art. But c'mon, Klausen just get's it! Something I'm excited to drop some bucks on framing and hang on my wall for all to see for years and years....
    [sic] happens
  • He said it's how he envisioned the crowd for Halloween shows. Tom Tomorrow was right on, too. From my seats behind the stage on Halloween, the crowd wasn't too far from this... I saw Bee Girl, Love Boat Captain, Crazy Mary, Gene Simmons, a banana, Dr. J with an afro. Wasn't crazy about the posters at first, but after being there last night, they're perfect.
  • wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    I like the posters and his artwork for the album.
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I love those posters and I would buy them - hopefully they're sold out. Right? Please let them be sold out...
  • Hell yeah, Kurt Russell is on there! Motherfuckin Snake Plissken, bitches! That character is also the basis for Metal Gear Solid's Snake. Those posters are awesome.

:mrgreen::mrgreen: if you look at the Halloween thread we had going for a few months before the show i said i wanted to come as Snake to the show but they wouldn't let me on the plane with a MAC10! :mrgreen:

...so i was very fucking psyched when i saw poster # 3...i have the set and think it looks really cool all together!

for the haters...not everything has to be a Klausen to be good! it's OK to dig more than 1 style/artist!!

and if you were lucky enough to be at all 4 shows....it's a great way to remember a damn good time...I'm speaking from experience of course! :D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen: :P :P
  • Am I the only one who is kinda jealous of the green little alien that went to all four shows? :D

(and got first row each night, LOL)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • 4 thumbs up to Tom Tomorrow and I hope he does more posters. The man is a living legend.
    http://twitter.com/DarthSpacegrass
    Maple Leaf Gardens - Sep 21 - Downing Stadium, Randall's Island - Sep 28,29 1996 Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29 - Continental Arena - Sep 08 - MSG - Sep 10,11 1998 Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24,25 2000 MSG - Jun 25, 2008 United Center - Aug 23,24 - Philly Spectrum - October 28,31 2009 PruCenter - May 18 - MSG - May 20,21 2010
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    IamMine wrote:
    after finding out eV & Stone read the board...
    quote]

How sure of this are you?

:mrgreen::mrgreen: if you look at the Halloween thread we had going for a few months before the show i said i wanted to come as Snake to the show but they wouldn't let me on the plane with a MAC10! :mrgreen:

...so i was very fucking psyched when i saw poster # 3...i have the set and think it looks really cool all together!

for the haters...not everything has to be a Klausen to be good! it's OK to dig more than 1 style/artist!!

and if you were lucky enough to be at all 4 shows....it's a great way to remember a damn good time...I'm speaking from experience of course! :D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen: :P :P

LOLZ. That would be the shit. Would you have rocked the mullet?

I would like to have digital copies of the posters for my desktop wallpaper. If you could send them to me, I could mess with them in Photoshop and put them all together and send it back.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• I think they are ok posters. they look a little better in person than the pics.
    the only thing i wouldve like to see is the band names somehow making out the shape of the spectrum when you put them all together.
  • I'd love all four mounted on my wall.

Great work.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,908
    Just couldn't bring myself to purchase any of the Philly posters, which was a little ironic since these shows were so special. It seems as though these posters really polarized the poster fans, with either extreme love or extreme hatred for Tom's creations. It would have been awesome to frame the last show's poster with the setlist but I couldn't handle the artwork. Regardless, respect goes out to Tom,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • I think they strike a chord with me becasue so many of those pop culture icons on the poster are familiar from shows I've seen over the 40 years I have been on this earth. Some I like and still respect, some make me cringe, but to me - each of those characters brings back a memory from parts of my life. The dalek is a classic!

They may or may not be Pearl Jam's best concert posters, that is largely irrelevant to me, they are very clever nods to a lot of popular history and I'm really glad Pearl Jam have now introduced me to Tom Tomorrow, I'll be looking into his work now - something I'd never have had a chance to do.

I'll gladly purchase a set of four if someone has decided they don't want them.
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    best thing about these posters is the $120 still in my pocket
  • doompony wrote:
    i think those posters are awesome.. just gutted he didn't have the top half of the woman in the red dress

GODDAMN IT TOM TOMORROW! DOES SHE EXIST?!

That's my exact reaction when I see all 4 posters too.
    Still a mystery that no one solve?
  • album cover :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    philly posters :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • I only got the posters for the shows I attended (Friday and Saturday) but I love them. Have we decoded all the characters on them? I'm pretty sure Noam Chomsky is in the background of #3.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    given the special nature of the 10/31 "last show at the spectrum" that poster is an embarrassment and insult... the other three are interesting in their own right, and a 3-poster set would have done the trick...

to not do a special commemorative poster for the last show is inexcusable... either way, Tom Tomorrow will never be forgotten by those who either pre-ordered or purchased posters...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)