Phillies Fans

2»

Comments

• this reminds me of the of the incredibly idiotic people at the borgata shows in 05 that were doing the Eagles chants :lol:
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    there are degenerates everywhere. for the most part, I think the whole northeast is basically the same when it comes to pro sports. things always escalate in big games, especially between fans of ny, boston, philly. the cities are so close and there is a long standing history between them going back generations. its something you grow up with.

I am a huge philly sports fan, grew up in northeast phila. I do understand the complaints though....there are a lot of creeps in this town, most are eagles fans. they drink too much and become real nasty and really disgusting, its ashame. especially ashame for families who want to go to a game and enjoy it for what it is. just a game, a diversion that many people take way too seriously. I have come across many ass hole new york fans in my day but when I step back and try to look objectively its very easy for me to say that philly has more rotten apples. and thats what it really is...rotten apples that give us all a bad rap.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    just go to Pat's n Gino's....lovely crowd they have there. People need to shower in Philly. The marinating on your couch all day,then drinking a twelve pack and getting a cheesesteak at 2:30am look is pathetic

People going out of their way to be nasty seems to be the only sport they are good at
  • bah. i can't stand this topic because it really pisses me off. we were at a concert. not the game. i got so angry when the chants started. really, was it necessary??? if anything should have been chanted at all it should have been PEARL JAM!! or eddie, mike, stone, jeff, matt, boom.. for busting their asses off all week for us. nothing more. (well i did laugh when we did RAULLLLLL, night 3) gets me everytime.

i saw numerous people screaming at eachother in the food areas and restrooms because of the jersey they wore, or hat, etc. not necessary. how old are we all?? are we even adults?? being drunk doesn't count either. i get that we are/were in philly, and sure it would be great for everyone to support philly, but does it really matter if new yorkers/anyone else come with their jersey's to our city?? we go to theirs. and i thought we were the city of brotherly love... :?: pearl jam and brotherly love... that's a whole lot of love and for some reason at moments i reallllllly wasn't feeling/seeing it. :?: :roll:
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I have traveled all over this country. In New York and New Jersey, we hear a lot of shitty things said about Philadelphia. I had only been there as a kid so I tried to go into it with an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised. I met a ton of very friendly people and was really impressed with the center city area. We did a lot of walking and hit up a bunch of museums. It's a very beautiful part of town.

That being said, I was absolutely shocked at the sports fans in that town. Yes, I was hanging out with some friends wearing Yankee hats and shirts but let me tell the people of Philadelphia one thing; GET OVER IT.

I see sports fans all over NYC wearing opposing teams' jersey's during big games and have never encountered the type of filth I witnessed in Philly. Nor have I ever seen so many women behave like absolute scumbags. We were called faggots, guidos and kikes on many occasions all week long by both men and women just because of the clothing my friends wore. I had to break up several potential fights this week. People started picking on my sister and she doesn't give a shit about sports (neither do I for that matter) nor was she wearing any Yankee gear. She just happened to be with us. The decent people of Philadelphia should be ashamed of this. This type of fanaticism is not cool or fun or funny. It is pathetic. It reveals a deep dissatisfaction with one's own given opportunities in life and their environment. I felt like these people had so little to live for, so little going on in their own lives that they had to put everything into sport for the hope of some transcendence from the mundane. What does this type of behavior say about a city and its culture?

Yes, every city has its good people and its bad people. However, the depths to which Philadelphia fans were willing to sink was FAR greater than anything I have ever seen. I have never heard of or wittnessed New York fans scream at women in the street or insult someones race and ethnicity because of a shirt they were wearing. The reason this doesn't happen in New York is not because we don't have our bad apples, it is because the good people will not stand for it.

This is what I'm taking back home with me to New York and these are the stories I will tell New Yorkers about your city.
  • GoatboyGoatboy Posts: 509
    october22 you are absolutely right. i'm trying to be proactive but there are so many scumbags. on halloween i was sitting next to a couple both wearing phillies jerseys and out of nowhere they started chanting f---the yankees f---the yankess just because one guy said he was from ny. seriously? you have to start cursing at the top of your lungs? I just don't get it, I've always been one that loved good natured ribbing of other teams fans and hey...how about actually talking about the sport? not just mindlessly chanting curse words or degrading someone without any sense of respect or decorum. god forbid this guy from ny like his hometown team. he said and did nothing to elicit this response from the two clowns i was sitting next to. and then i got attitude for questioning their chant. i'm at the point where i'm just going to enjoy the games on my own and keep my distance from this filth.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    it's too bad so many of you had bad experiences....we're not all bad! i love that philly has such passionate fans but i hate when it turns into something ugly.

i didn't see any chanting at inappropriate times so i guess i was lucky for that...i used to hate when random eagles chants would break out during a summer concert when the eagles weren't even in season (yes, i'm an eagles fan, too). however... when eddie is having the crowd start a 'raul' chant, giving score updates, and the phillies are playing in a world series game across the street i think some 'let's go phillies' chants are pretty understandable! harrassing other fans in anything other than good fun is unacceptable, though. i'm sorry that so many of you had bad experiences with it.
  • like church and state, mixing sports and music in a public place should be federally prohibited.
    "If you love someone, set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck up." -ev

6/29/03 - Montreal, QC 10/1/04 - Reading, PA
    10/3/05 - Philadelphia, PA 5/12/06 - Albany, NY
    6/27/08 - Hartford, CT (FRONT ROW CENTER!)
    8/2/08 - (ev) Boston, MA 6/9/09 - (ev) Albany, NY
    8/21/09 - Toronto, ON 5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Using the city as a negative symbol is so inaccurate. There are idiots from every city. Trust me..I met a few of them over the past 4 days. How bout the guy with the Yankees jersey walking up the Spectrum steps giving the finger and screaming 26..26! Those mouths were shut quite tight until they finally took the lead..What the hell do you expect when you have Philadelphia and New York playing each other in almost every major sport over 1 weekend? And THEN you throw them into an arena to watch PJ while said events are going on? Jesus..its a wonder there werent arrests.
    I for one stuck to mild ribbing and some good natured fun with the Yankees and Giants fans around me and at the pre-parties..I had fun and so did they :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Meh - we noticed a few things, like coming into Philly we were cut off a couple times on 676 when trying to change lanes (we have NY plates) and it was very blatant. Kept quiet about being from NY during the day (felt like we were going stealthily into enemy territory heh), but hey, I'm not going to blame a town for cheering on its team - who wouldn't do that - the World Series is exciting if you're into sports and your team is in it and its your hometown. As I mentioned elsewhere, I never really cared about sports that much, but after being subjected to 'Yankees suck' all weekend, upon hearing the Yankees won game 3 and 4 all I can think is hah - suck on that :twisted:
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    As I mentioned elsewhere, I never really cared about sports that much, but after being subjected to 'Yankees suck' all weekend, upon hearing the Yankees won game 3 and 4 all I can think is hah - suck on that :twisted:

See..Now youre stooping to low levels...not necessary...be better than that..
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    Like others have said there are a few bad apples in every city, but the group mentality over the weekend just got ridiculous. I got yelled at for wearing a Free Tibet T-shirt with NYC on it, of course he yelled after he walked by. My friend got yelled at for wearing a Blue Phillies hat!! That moron needed to learn a few more letters then AEGLS...

I could understand the chanting between songs when egged on by Ed, even during encore breaks, hell be proud! But seriously come up with something other then "<Blank> Sucks", try rooting FOR your team. That positive vibe can do wonders!!

Funny how no updates were given once NY took the lead on Saturday!! But then again that could have gotten ugly if they did, and those same idiots that can't handle being in the WS would have escalated their idiocy even more by losing!! It is a shame a select few left a bad impression of a great city.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    Like others have said there are a few bad apples in every city, but the group mentality over the weekend just got ridiculous. I got yelled at for wearing a Free Tibet T-shirt with NYC on it, of course he yelled after he walked by. My friend got yelled at for wearing a Blue Phillies hat!! That moron needed to learn a few more letters then AEGLS...

I could understand the chanting between songs when egged on by Ed, even during encore breaks, hell be proud! But seriously come up with something other then "<Blank> Sucks", try rooting FOR your team. That positive vibe can do wonders!!

Funny how no updates were given once NY took the lead on Saturday!! But then again that could have gotten ugly if they did, and those same idiots that can't handle being in the WS would have escalated their idiocy even more by losing!! It is a shame a select few left a bad impression of a great city.

Just curious but why exactly would the band want to turn the crowd sour? The majority of the people there were from Philadelphia..thats why there were no updates..makes perfect sense. But I agree with your other points :)
    Shows:
  • What a great show last night just awesome, I just wish that everytime the music stopped and ed talked that the people around me didn't yell yankees suck so no one could hear anything. I shook hands with a guy who was a yankees fan so unfortunetly me and my gf next to me had to put up with me getting told "I hope you die in a car crash on the way home" to having stuff thrown at me all night, including beer and food and stuff. Thanks alot, it's a concert not a baseball game I just don't get it. She was petrified that I was going to get attacked on the way out. I never said one word the entire night to anyone. Is there really a need for that? :shock:
    Sorry that happened to you. Would have freaked me out too. I gotta say the whole baseball thing REALLY got on my nerves. Fine that people are excited about the world series, but some people in my section were even yelling shit out during the songs. I was there to listen to the music...not to hear which team sucks. Wear your jersey...chant between songs...but not everyone around you wants to hear you yell out for your team over Ed's singing. I don't go to games and yell out "Let's go Pearl Jam." Annoying...but not as bad as what you had to deal with.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    friday afternoon my girlfriend and i walked around philly, got some food & got some drinks. i was wearing my yankee hat and not one person said anything to me. the two bars we stopped at, the bartenders were actually pretty cool and i had good sports/baseball convos with them.

as far as the concert, i didn't wear any yankee gear simply because i did not want to be put into a situation that i didnt want to be put in at a pearl jam concert. i dont want to get thrown out mid show because i have to punch some fucker in the jaw because he spilt beer on me or my girlfriend. i dont need that shit... we are all adults and ultimately we are all there to enjoy the music.

i took a few piss breaks before pearl jam went on and each time the men's room was packed, some guys just hanging around looking to pick fights with anyone that was wearing anything yankees.
This discussion has been closed.