Spectrum Misc

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited October 2009 in The Porch
I've been to a bunch of concerts at the Spectrum over the last few months and I figured I'd just post some miscellaneous info here for those that haven't been there in a while and those that have never been there.

1 - DO NOT dress warmly. The Spectrum is like a sauna. Expect to sweat

2 - Watch your step (especially on the steps). The floor literally sweats and makes it feel like you're walking on ice.

3 - Give yourself extra time to get to your seats prior to the show. The concourses are extremely narrow and can be difficult to navigate (think overcrowded frat party)

4 - Give yourself plenty of time to hit the bathrooms. The bathrooms are limited and small, which leads to longer lines than usual.

5 - As for seating...for the recent springsteen shows I had 300 level, side stage seats for 3 of the 4 shows (301, 313, 325). These seats are phenomenal. The spectrum seating is more vertical than the newer arenas, so even if you're in the 300 level, you feel like you're on top of the stage.

6 - Don't expect World Series updates on the video screen. I laughed when I saw how outdated the screen is.

Enjoy yourselves this week. These shows this week are gonna be legendary. The Spectrum is an amazing place to see a concert.

Also, the SEPTA (public transportation) strike threat is real. If you are coming in from out of town and plan on using the subway/buses, make sure you follow this story. Could make things messy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    i can attest to number 3. saw foo fighters there a couple years ago and jesus you couldn't move before the show. the concourses are so narrow it's packed to the brim. make sure you walk in through your correct gate. i usually don't worry about that stuff because i'm fine walking inside around the concourses but not here. make sure you walk in relatively near your section so you don't have to walk too far through that concourse.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    and there are only a few entrances/exits to the floor
    expect log jams getting up and down
  • one MAJOR thing when it comes to concessions/beer, the only accept CASH, its easy to not know this b/c there is only a small sign when you get to the counter
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    one MAJOR thing when it comes to concessions/beer, the only accept CASH, its easy to not know this b/c there is only a small sign when you get to the counter

good point...and make sure you bring plenty. $8.50 for a Bud/Bud Light. Ouch
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    Awesome thanks for the info. Is Pj going to be using a video screen though?
    "So much it dont show"
    release00 wrote:

springsteen had his own video screens set up on the sides of the stage. I'm assuming PJ will have a similar setup since both use a no frills stage
  • this thread is great...thanks to all for the kind tips
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Here is one for the bevie drinkers: i sat in section 209 ( first concourse level ,straight back . Oldtimers to the Wacho Spectrum know it as section A ) for three Bruce shows in the last couple weeks and discovered NO CUP HOLDERS ! Beer or bevies on floor = spillage, $$$ pissed away when someone kicks over your $8.50, and possible wet merch. Beware.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • The Fixer wrote:
    release00 wrote:

springsteen had his own video screens set up on the sides of the stage. I'm assuming PJ will have a similar setup since both use a no frills stage

I doubt this. Pearl Jam just uses what the venue's provide. I doubt they will provide any screens.
  • this thread is great...thanks to all for the kind tips

Yeah, very helpful for us out-of-towners.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    And, since it's a Pearl Jam show, it never hurts to have these handy reminders:

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2006/06/the ... icipation/
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    Yeah, I didn't notice any video screens from the YouTube videos of when PJ last played there
    "So much it dont show"
  • N_Jay_HN_Jay_H Posts: 171
    How is security getting in?
  • N_Jay_H wrote:

Good question. Somewhat related... what is the policy on cameras? If they allow them, how big?
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    N_Jay_H wrote:

last week for Bruce they just scanned your ticket and you went in...I try to take in as little as possible anyway so I didn't have a purse/bag anyway
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    The Fixer wrote:
    one MAJOR thing when it comes to concessions/beer, the only accept CASH, its easy to not know this b/c there is only a small sign when you get to the counter

good point...and make sure you bring plenty. $8.50 for a Bud/Bud Light. Ouch

well that's nothing comparing to the $11 I paid for 1 Bud Lime in Portland, I almost had a heart attack when she said your total is $20.00 I was like WHAT?!?! Im buying 2 beers not a 12 pack! :shock:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
    N_Jay_H wrote:

not bad...quick pat down upon entering. the tough part is navigating once you're in the building
  • Does anybody know if they are going to make a DVD of this show. Being a native Philadelphian, I find it hard to believe that the last show ever in the spectrum is not going to be filmed. Go Phils!
  • How about parking? I see that The W Center has "reserved" parking available. I'm driving down from either my humble home of New Hampshire and was wondering if the reserved parking helps or hurts. Mucho appreciate any info....
    Rochester NY '94, E Rutherford NJ '98, MSG '98
    Jones Beach 2000, Mansfield 03, Camden 03, Hershey 03
    Boston VFC 04, Halifax 05
    Hartford 06, Boston 06, E Rutherford 06
    Mansfield I & II 08, Philly Spectrum -Halloween 09! Hartford '10
    Eddie -Boston 6/16/11, Worcester 2013, Amsterdam 6/16/14,
    Quebec City '16, Ottowa '16, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2016
    London 1 2018, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2018
    Got Id?
    jaboodey wrote:
    How about parking? I see that The W Center has "reserved" parking available. I'm driving down from either my humble home of New Hampshire and was wondering if the reserved parking helps or hurts. Mucho appreciate any info....

they were charging $12 to park in most of the lots near the spectrum for the springsteen shows and phils playoff games. I usually park in the football stadium lot (Lincoln Financial Field)...easy access to the spectrum and tailgating is permitted.

not sure about reserved parking...might get you closer to the venue.

Pretty sure most lots open around 3:00 for concerts/sports events...
  • i got idi got id Posts: 867
    Do they accept credit cards at merch stands?

ATMs inside of the venue?
  • danicadanica Posts: 14
    this is awesome - thanks for all of the tips everyone! :D

-danica
  • DeLukin wrote:
    And, since it's a Pearl Jam show, it never hurts to have these handy reminders:

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2006/06/the ... icipation/

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Yes, great tips, thank you! Let's keep this bumped up!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I'm assuming since they told us $15 to pre-park to pick up tickets during the day, you can be almost assured the average parking price will be $15.
  • i got id wrote:

not sure about the merch stands, my guess is that they will be but I would bring cash just to be on the safe side. There are a few atm`s throughout the building, after all, it is the Wachovia Spectrum :D
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Pretty sure most lots open around 3:00 for concerts/sports events...

The lot opens at 1:00 PM (11:00 AM on Saturday)
  • camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    thanks for the info!
    i like sound...
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    The Septa strike is no longer a threat ... it's a reality:

http://tinyurl.com/yl6sj4l

Stay tuned here: www.septa.org for service interruptions.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
    i got id wrote:

not sure about the merch stands. there are limited number of ATMs. I would strongly recommend hitting one before you enter the spectrum though.