Here we go again!

2»

Comments

• KatKat Posts: 4,845
    stickfig13 wrote:
    It doesn't seem geniune to have Eddie Vedder rant about the civil liberties of accused "terrorist".

Please show me where anyone in the band did what you are saying.

This is what the band is saying:

"As Americans, many of us were alarmed and ashamed to learn what happened at Guantanamo in our names. For musicians, it’s been made even more personal given that music was used as a sort of soundtrack for the torture that went on there. While we don’t believe our music was used in this way, we lend our voices in support of the musicians, Generals and American citizens who are calling for the closure of Guantanamo with the hope that it signals to the world a renewed commitment to a humane America."

- PJ

For anyone who would like to sign the petition in support of the U.S. veterans, generals and others who want to close Gitmo, please visit this link: http://ga3.org/campaign/CloseGitmo/
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    Stickfig... YOU GOT SMOKED BY KAT!!! BOOO YAHHH.

Still kinda like GITMO though. Not signing. We shouldn't torture... but capital punishment more often would be aight.
  • WashedWashed Posts: 736
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Here we go again PJ fans!

Just when the band started to have fun and put the dark "Bush" years behind them they jump on the "Close Gitmo" train.

More power to them, but I can't say I'm thrilled.

I hear what you're saying, but it seems like some of the more extreme rants in recent years and possibly your personal feelings about albums like Riot Act might have clouded your judgment on PJ as activists overall.

My first show was in '96 supporting the No Code album. There was tons of political rants -- get rid of Jesse Helms, register to vote...heck, they even brought Gloria Steinem out on stage for a speech.

Before that, you had the band fighting the record label over which singles to release, refusing to make the ever popular MTV-style videos for practically every song, then the Ticketmaster fight...that pretty much covers Ten through No Code -- some might say those are..ahem, decent albums. And anyone seeing shows back them can confirm that they rocked the shit out of it.

They've always been willing to stand up for what they believe, both through their music and at their live shows. It's part of the reason I am who I am today and a major reason I love them. So have a little faith...we'll all get through this together. :D
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Kat wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:
    It doesn't seem geniune to have Eddie Vedder rant about the civil liberties of accused "terrorist".

Please show me where anyone in the band did what you are saying.

This is what the band is saying:

"As Americans, many of us were alarmed and ashamed to learn what happened at Guantanamo in our names. For musicians, it’s been made even more personal given that music was used as a sort of soundtrack for the torture that went on there. While we don’t believe our music was used in this way, we lend our voices in support of the musicians, Generals and American citizens who are calling for the closure of Guantanamo with the hope that it signals to the world a renewed commitment to a humane America."

- PJ

For anyone who would like to sign the petition in support of the U.S. veterans, generals and others who want to close Gitmo, please visit this link: http://ga3.org/campaign/CloseGitmo/

I feel my statement was taken out the context of the conversation, but I'll let sleeping dogs lie because I love this board and don't wanna get canned :)
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    ccucf1996 wrote:
    Kill the unborn but don't dare waterboard a terrorist!!! How would you feel if your mom was in the trade center when one of these poor mistreated POW's took her life???? Mine was and she's gone b/c of these useless things. Fucking drown them all.
    sorry for your mom..All the planet was shocked that day..i was in Madrid 11-3...i see the horor.from the other hand i suppose now u know how someone feels in Kabul-Belgrad-Bagdad-Tehran
    War is bad...both sides feel the pain..the bullets provoke the same pain no matter what side u are,no matter color or Nationality u have..the thing is to stop..no kill more
    PEACE

Yep! Its like parents beating their kids up to prove that what they did was wrong.. It doesn't matter. Things like Gitmo will only further this charade. No matter how many people you torture or drown , it won't make anything right. It won't bring anyone back to life or make right any wrongs. What is torture to someone who is willing to die for their beliefs anyhow?
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    ccucf1996 wrote:
    Kill the unborn but don't dare waterboard a terrorist!!! How would you feel if your mom was in the trade center when one of these poor mistreated POW's took her life???? Mine was and she's gone b/c of these useless things. Fucking drown them all.
    sorry for your mom..All the planet was shocked that day..i was in Madrid 11-3...i see the horor.from the other hand i suppose now u know how someone feels in Kabul-Belgrad-Bagdad-Tehran
    War is bad...both sides feel the pain..the bullets provoke the same pain no matter what side u are,no matter color or Nationality u have..the thing is to stop..no kill more
    PEACE

Yep! Its like parents beating their kids up to prove that what they did was wrong.. It doesn't matter. Things like Gitmo will only further this charade. No matter how many people you torture or drown , it won't make anything right. It won't bring anyone back to life or make right any wrongs. What is torture to someone who is willing to die for their beliefs anyhow?

I don't think the idea is to torture for punishment as much as it is for gathering intelligence. Whether or not useful information is gained is the debate.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    stickfig13 wrote:

I don't think the idea is to torture for punishment as much as it is for gathering intelligence. Whether or not useful information is gained is the debate.

No not at all.. i was referring to the poster who said their family member was killed due to "terrorism", so punishment was their stand point on the subject or revenge rather.
  • I sort of understand people who resent celebs for throwing their opinions in our faces.
    But I feel it’s a certain privilege they have. We live in a country with freedom of speech. Celebs just have access to a higher platform. It’s just the way it is. As mentioned before some celebs don’t take advantage of the platform. Rather it be they don’t care, don’t want to alienate fans, or they have no clue what’s going on anyway, some celebs don’t speak out.

I don’t see this as a ‘crusade’.
    That being said I do believe there’s a right way and a wrong way to stand up for what you believe in, but that goes for everybody, not just celebs.
    I don’t think pearl jam is in our face about it as they could be. Some of you are exaggerating.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• ccucf1996 wrote:
    PEACE

No it does fucking matter. What has happen here since we took action? It won't bring back what we've lost, but it does deter and maybe you won't lose your mother to these bastards. I'd love to see your response if you were in my famlies shoes. You would want them gone, trust me. if they are willing to die then they must be doing something wrong. i'd buy a ticket to watch them get waterboard, beat, thrown darts at.