Here we go again!

stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Here we go again PJ fans!

Just when the band started to have fun and put the dark "Bush" years behind them they jump on the "Close Gitmo" train.

More power to them, but I can't say I'm thrilled.
Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    pearl jam NEEDS conflict.. Not that they want it but.. it sure makes for great song writing! complete happiness is an artist's death ya know :D
  • Why can't they have fun and be politically aware at the same time?
    stickfig13 wrote:

Just when the band started to have fun and put the dark "Bush" years behind them they jump on the "Close Gitmo" train.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Pretty lame op.

There would be alotta cool PJ songs gone if they didn't have the political stuff.
  • Hey, it's free publicity for their album. Make no mistake, the wide release of this story and the fact they have a new album on the shelf is no coincidence.
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    stickfig13 wrote:

Shut up.
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Why can't they have fun and be politically aware at the same time?
    stickfig13 wrote:

I'm not saying they shouldn't be politically aware. I'm saying I hated when the band was only about hating Bush and the administration. I hated hearing Eddies buzzkill rants about god knows what.

This lastest tour was a breath of fresh air for me as a fan. I enjoyed seeing them have fun and rock out on stage instead of a 10 minutes rant about politics.

The politics are party why I love this band, but the act started to get tired.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I can hear it now, "Me o my o....I hope they close Git-mo."
    DewieCox wrote:
    Pretty lame op.

There would be alotta cool PJ songs gone if they didn't have the political stuff.

You can't tell me that Tim Robbins wasn't a buzzkill....That's my point. The music speaks for itself.
  • Ed talked about politics in Seattle.
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Why can't they have fun and be politically aware at the same time?
    stickfig13 wrote:

I'm not saying they shouldn't be politically aware. I'm saying I hated when the band was only about hating Bush and the administration. I hated hearing Eddies buzzkill rants about god knows what.

This lastest tour was a breath of fresh air for me as a fan. I enjoyed seeing them have fun and rock out on stage instead of a 10 minutes rant about politics.

The politics are party why I love this band, but the act started to get tired.
  • yeah its ridiculous a band would have social conscience! Why cant they be a Britney Spears or something, totally void of any intellectual or intelligent thoughts!

I have moved on to, as I used to be all about the political, and now could care less about it.

But this band was always more than a "anyone but Bush band". They were political during the clinton years, and even opposed Clintons bombing of Kosovo, so they arent the typical "liberal" band. They are equal opportunity activists.

Seeing as Obama has refused to end the war, wars the band opposed from the start, and seeing as how Obama has done squat to shut down Gitmo, and end the wiretapping and end torture among other things, I can see how they would be pretty pissed off.

Politics and speaking out is what the band has always done. Backspacer was a welcome change of pace, completely lacking in politics, but I seriously doubt if the band is gonna act like I did, and refuse to engage in anything political for 3 years.

How horrible! A band who thinks Gitmo, a place where people are placed, without access to lawyers and without their friends and family knowing how to contact them, and placed in a cell to rot until maybe...someday the courts decide to go through the merits of their case which in many cases has proved to be the simple fact they are a citizen of Afghanistan or Iraq. How horrible!

Better they keep their mouths shut
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Ed talked about politics in Seattle.

And Chicago.....we even got a half assed attempt at No War
  • FIGHT THE POWER!!
    Clearly I'm not winning this argument. All you "opened minded free thinkers" can flame me all you want.

All I'm saying is that the music (live and otherwise) is better when they aren't on some sort of crusade to rid the world of something.

Flame on
  • jwhite173 wrote:
    Hey, it's free publicity for their album. Make no mistake, the wide release of this story and the fact they have a new album on the shelf is no coincidence.

Thats an absurd statement to make. You think everyone who speaks out on politics, and is in the entertainment industry, only cares about fattening their wallets. You think Bruce only cares about making millions, and doesnt give a damn about people with AIDS and gay people, when he wrote The Streets of Philadelphia for the movie? He only wanted press for his album at that time? Or Uncle Neil, Southern Man wasnt about his anger about a racist and corrupt way of life, but was just a way to drum up press for his album and a way to rake in sales thus making him more cash?

I am as cynical as can be, but even I dont buy that line of bs. I didnt hear any of the people hawking and promoting their music when talking about Gitmo. If anything, by your line of thinking the bands should be thrilled. Someone, the miltary, or whoever, bought their records, and in a sense, was engaging in a perverse example of globalization, exposing the music of NIN and Pearl jam and Rage to cultures that may not have heard that music before. So they bands should be thrilled, right?

Your way off base. There are a ton of hacks and mercinaries and greedy jerks in this world. But just because a band takes a stand on a political issue, it doesnt make them some kind of corporate whore.

How cynical do you have to be, to feel, that a band taking on a political issue, that, that is done for monetary reasons?

All the bands in the story, REM, pearl Jam, NIN, Rage, Tom Morello, are all solidly anti war, anti torture. If anything these bands have stood for these ideals and principles their entire careers.

You're an idiot
  • that's your opinion, and people are free to disagree with it.
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Clearly I'm not winning this argument. All you "opened minded free thinkers" can flame me all you want.

All I'm saying is that the music (live and otherwise) is better when they aren't on some sort of crusade to rid the world of something.

Flame on
    that's your opinion, and people are free to disagree with it.
    stickfig13 wrote:

Flame on

No question...

agree to disagree :)

• Better they keep their mouths shut

I couldn't agree more.

• You're an idiot

Thank you!
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    I THINK... we should keep GITMO OPEN! I like a little torture in the mix. Keep em afraid of what those crazy Amerikans might do if you step out of line around the world.

"We're watching... don't fuck up."

-Sincerely,

America :twisted:
    How horrible! A band who thinks Gitmo, a place where people are placed, without access to lawyers and without their friends and family knowing how to contact them, and placed in a cell to rot until maybe...someday the courts decide to go through the merits of their case which in many cases has proved to be the simple fact they are a citizen of Afghanistan or Iraq. How horrible!

You're right...They're all good dudes. Being captured in an active warzone is just a case of mistaken identity.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    stickfig13 wrote:

You're right...They're all good dudes. Being captured in an active warzone is just a case of mistaken identity.

So keep them locked up because they live in a war-torn country? I guess collateral damage has no meaning to you - "Oh, they live in a war zone, they must be guilty!"

Lock this man up, officer - we have no proof that he was the guy who shoplifted from the store, but we know he was inside when the shoplifting took place...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Kill the unborn but don't dare waterboard a terrorist!!! How would you feel if your mom was in the trade center when one of these poor mistreated POW's took her life???? Mine was and she's gone b/c of these useless things. Fucking drown them all.
    Again..My original point was that Pearl Jam has looked/sounded better than they have in years without all the bullshit buzzkills rants that we got used in the last 8 years.

For example, the LA 1 show in 2006. A rocking show was destroyed by a horrid performance by Tim Robbins.

If they had not taken the show to grinding hault by bringing ole' Timmy out, it would have been an epic show start to finish.
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ninjadaveninjadave Posts: 150
    ccucf1996 wrote:
    Kill the unborn but don't dare waterboard a terrorist!!! How would you feel if your mom was in the trade center when one of these poor mistreated POW's took her life???? Mine was and she's gone b/c of these useless things. Fucking drown them all.

Amen brother. they hate us regardless. if we leave them alone they will still want us dead, are people so naive to not see that? they want all the jews dead why, religion. if you aren't like them, you are an enemy and frankly, since this country eats oil and other resources from the shithole of the world (middle east), then we have to deal with these gov't 's to maintain stability. ya, its about oil, do all the liberals walk to work? when oil is $200 a barrel and there are shortages, wreck the economy again, whatever...then what? no problem for the rich, but us lowlifes gotta deal with it...until their stock funds are shit. i guess ed takes a bike to his shows, doesn't use any gas or jet fuel to travel or maybe he buys carbon offsets but the fact of the matter is, we need the oil to run the economy and if its not flowing, we are screwed. period. obama knows this, they all do. that is why nothing has changed over there....blame whomever you want for why there aren't alternatives, but its the way it is right now......

I love the band, love the music and i am a fairly new fan (since 03') but the fact that its politics as usual in this current whitehouse and nothing has changed on the war front, why no bashing of Obama for having no nuts to do what he promised? everyone who thought that getting obama in would end it all is delusional. i hate war, people dying, but its a fact. be glad you don't live in Isreal or the west bank, or Ireland when the bombs have been going off for decades....that is what we need here then people will wake up to the "real" world.
    ~ ninjadave ~
    2003 - State College 5/3
    2006 - Cleveland 5/20 and Pittsburgh 6/23
    2008 - Washington DC 6/22
    2009 - Philly Spectrum 10/28, 10/30 and 10/31
    2010 - Columbus 5/6 and Cleveland 5/9
    2011 - Philly [EV] 6/25 and PJ20 9/3-4
    2013 - Pittsburgh 10/11, Buffalo 10/12, Philly 10/21-22 and Baltimore 10/27
    2014 - Detroit 10/16
    2016 - Philly 4/28-29 and Philly [TotD] 11/5
    2020 - Baltimore 3/28
    2022 - Ottawa 9/3 and Camden 9/14
    2023 - Indianapolis 9/10
    2024 - Philly 9/7-9 and Baltimore 9/12
  • SolarWorld wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

Shut up.

How about taking your own advice? You couldn't be more of a jerk.
  • Why do musicians always feel the need to get involved in politics? It's all well and good to have an opinion on things but leave us out of it.
  • because politics is something everyone should be involved in.
    Why do musicians always feel the need to get involved in politics? It's all well and good to have an opinion on things but leave us out of it.
  • ccucf1996 wrote:
    Kill the unborn but don't dare waterboard a terrorist!!! How would you feel if your mom was in the trade center when one of these poor mistreated POW's took her life???? Mine was and she's gone b/c of these useless things. Fucking drown them all.
    sorry for your mom..All the planet was shocked that day..i was in Madrid 11-3...i see the horor.from the other hand i suppose now u know how someone feels in Kabul-Belgrad-Bagdad-Tehran
    War is bad...both sides feel the pain..the bullets provoke the same pain no matter what side u are,no matter color or Nationality u have..the thing is to stop..no kill more
    PEACE
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    because politics is something everyone should be involved in.
    Why do musicians always feel the need to get involved in politics? It's all well and good to have an opinion on things but leave us out of it.

Really? These kind of politics?

or politics the general public can make a difference caring about?....Schools, Health, Violence, Poverty

I realize PJ has been involved in the above mentioned poltics too, but it seems they are taking on something that just makes them look like rich Hollywood do-gooders. It doesn't seem geniune to have Eddie Vedder rant about the civil liberties of accused "terrorist".