Options

Should we go back to old school ticket purchases?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Urohawk wrote:
    Hey thanks. I realized that has my email and some other info. As a recent victim of identity theft I thought I should take it down.

Look I think you and I got off on the wrong foot. You just made it sound like you were suspicious of what I did by reading my previous posts. I figured I would prove it to you. I probably mistook your posts as a bit malicious and responded in kind. My apologizes.

I am glad you get tickets all the time. I used to get the majority I wanted as well. Under the new purchase as many shows as you want policy I have steadily noticed it's pretty tough to get tickets these days. Ones 10C number has no effect on that now.

No apology needed. I wouldn't call my post malicious, but I was definitely poking fun at seeing you mention you were a urologist a couple of times. I didn't doubt you were one, though.

Good luck getting tickets next tour!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Simple. Hell NOOOOOO.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    I didn't try to buy tickets yesterday so I don't have any first hand experience with what happened. However, I will say that going back to purchasing tickets by postal mail is not the way to go.

Ten Club needs to embrace technology. Online ticketing is definitely the way to go. I think Ten Club just needs to come up with a creative way of dealing with demand (both in terms of tickets and server capacity).

There are so many fan clubs out there with online ticketing. Ten Club should take a look at what they are doing. It might be a good idea for Ten Club to work with a third party like Ticketmaster (gasp).

What I think may work well would be if every Ten Club member received a personalized code to purchase tickets through Ticketmaster per tour/leg. Seniority likely could not be accounted for. Every show would have 2 days worth of Ten Club presale. Day 1 would be for people who pick that show as their first choice. Day 2 would be for anyone else (members) to buy tickets. Members would be allowed to use their code on Day 1 only once per tour/leg, but the code could be used an unlimited amount of times on Day 2. All shows would have a 2 ticket limit, and sales would be subject to availability.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Absolutley 100% no. There is only one problem with the current system, they can't handle the traffic surge on ticket sale days. Upgrade capacity and the problem is solved.

Do they even sell money orders anymore?
  • Options
    In all honesty, I too miss the old way of requesting tickets. It was fun, easy, mail in a check or money order, and bam. You got your tickets.

But since 1997, I'm sure the 10c membership has doubled, and it's hard to process those ticket requests by mail. And there's no papertrail in case the order forms or pmt got lost. It's just your word that 'I mailed it in'.

I dunno, it just sucks all around. Just when we PJ fans are mocked that we are fans of hasbeens, but yet everytime they tour, we go through this crazy ticket sale crap. Just can't win.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    scpjfanscpjfan Posts: 131
    I would rather pay the service charge to ticketmaster.

When they rolled through in 05, I was on at 10am on ticketmaster, and got sweet tickets right away, no system crash, no waiting for confirmations.
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love.
  • Options
    Or maybe just announce all tour dates at the same time like they used to?
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    Not that the current system is perfect, but I think its the way to go. Just needs some improvements.

Another thing to remember is that back in the day they could get just about as many fan club tickets as needed. Currently the amount of fan club tickets available is significantly less. the fact of the matter is that no one is guaranteed tickets to any shows any more. everytime tickets go on sale there will likely be people disappointed that they didn't score tixs. there is no way to please everybody.
    Take time to see the sky,
    Find shapes in the clouds.
    Hear the murmur of the wind
    and touch the cool water.
    Walk softly,
    we are intruders,
    tolerated briefly
    In an infinite universe.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    Urohawk wrote:
    I don't want to hear from people that say they make the ticket sales more of a "priority". I am usually in the operating room so don't tell me you want me to log in a computer for two hours instead of taking out your cancerous kidney.

Haha! That's beautiful.

C'mon, a cancerous kidney can wait! It's not like it's an appendix or something. CLEARLY you are not a true fan of the band - and neither is your patient. And anyone who's not a Pearl Jam fan doesn't deserve to have his kidney removed. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i can go with the better seats going to those that live in the area of the show, that would be cool, and then everyone has a shot at good seats. ( my 10c # is decent, not great, but okay. ) but mail in? no way!

that would now in this day and age, make things sooooo much worse.

my opinion. they just need more people to help out for "special" events, and sales. and a better bigger server.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Or maybe just announce all tour dates at the same time like they used to?

You silly boy. That doesn't create a buzz. Will they announce more shows?...should I buy now?

Great marketing...poor customer relations.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,624
    I kinda miss the days of sleeping in my car in the parking lot of Sears waiting for Ticketron to open so I could be first in line to get tickets.

Now thats oldschool.
  • Options
    URthekey wrote:
    I kinda miss the days of sleeping in my car in the parking lot of Sears waiting for Ticketron to open so I could be first in line to get tickets.

...only to be told that, instead of taking the first in line, they were going to do a lottery system.

That happened to me one time. We got to the ticket outlet at 7am, tickets went on sale at 10am. At 9:30am, they started handing out ticket stubs for a lottery drawing.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812
    I vote no. Keep the current system. Just upgrade the Apache server and database capacity so enough concurrent processes can run without crashing the entire thing (and fix the glitch that allows orders to be charged w/out being placed.)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    I vote no. Keep the current system. Just upgrade the Apache server and database capacity so enough concurrent processes can run without crashing the entire thing (and fix the glitch that allows orders to be charged w/out being placed.)

Bump.
    Someone forward FarFromGlorifieds recent post to them (hell, i will) ...

snail mail and paper is great and all ... but there is no way in hell 10C is going to add up all the paper, convert it to a database and get responses back to such a massive fanclub ... they are going to cut out the bullshit and stay online. Period.

But they need to get their S together with the site.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    the wolf wrote:
    i can go with the better seats going to those that live in the area of the show, that would be cool, and then everyone has a shot at good seats...
    the wolf wrote:

Sounds like the start of a good theory. But what do you do with people like me who haven't had a tourdate within 1000 miles in over three years. Which show would've been my priority/home town show? I like where the idea is going, but it needs to be fleshed out some more...
    the wolf wrote:
    my opinion. they just need more people to help out for "special" events, and sales. and a better bigger server.

That would be the start of something better as well. The capacity of Ten Club's network and web server is sorely lacking.

Has anyone over there suggested they look into MusicToday? I've bought Wilco and Ben Harper tickets from musictoday.com during pre-sales. Tends to work really well, but I don't know how they'd do with a demand as high as that from Ten Club members.
    Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Urohawk wrote:
    Fine. Log into a computer and leave your credit card number with show requests. Do you know how easy it would be to write a program that prioritizes you by 10c number and the state you live in?

No server crashes. No charges without tickets.

No you can't please everyone but you should always strive for perfection.

When Phish came back for a 3 show stand post-hiatus (2003?), they had a window of a week in which to place your order online. At the end of the week, they used a lottery to allocate tickets to those who placed orders and then processed their credit cards. No funny stuff, no server crashes, and a hold placed on your card after the lottery began meant you got tickets.

There were probably 20x as many orders as tickets (between my friends and I, we submitted 50 orders and only 2 came through), but the server did fine and everyone agreed it was a perfectly fair solution.

You could easily augment the lottery however you want to give priority to long-time members or "locals" within a 100 digit zipcode range, but the overall approach is unimpeachable.

Still, while I'm sure the gig has some residual benefits, I gotta say it's a good week not to be a 10c employee.
    Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I’m
    delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    pj4900 wrote:
    There are more fans than tickets so put those, that want to go, in a lottery. The winners will be emailed and/or snail-mailed a passcode (which is unique) to purchase them within 10 days. If not purchased another member is picked.
    Simple.

I like it :D. I think this, or some subtle variation, would work.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    Urohawk wrote:
    Look at when I have posted that I am a urologist. One was a thread on peoples' job. The others were in reference to the exact thing you mentioned. "I am fine with the system. I get tickets everytime." I have a career and a job that doesn't allow me to sit by a computer for two hours in a rampant fit to try and buy tickets at every presale.

People usually challenge my commitment to the band or lack of support because I can't make time for ticket sales or I don't frequent message board and have a high post count. What is the point of joining the 10c if I have no access to the ticket sales. Under the old version of ticket purchasing I could actually get tickets to shows locally. Under the new system I have had to travel 5 hrs from my home show for the tour which means I probably screwed some local guy in Cinnci from getting a ticket when I lived in Detroit.

Who cares if people challenge your commitment to the band?

And why do people think that a high post count is some sort of badge of honor?....anyone can easily run-up their count.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your profession. I am sure it benefits you well, as opposed to a high post count.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Nothing wrong with being proud of your profession.

"Are you a lawman? Where is your badge Wyatt Earp? Are you not proud of your profession? I, myself, was a dentist. I was very proud to be a dentist. I did not hide the fact that I was a dentist. How are your teeth, Wyatt Earp?"

Sorry...it's a reflex.

PBM

• Options
    In2DeepIn2Deep Posts: 496
    I dont agree with giving priority to people who live in those states. If they don't come to your state, you're basically being put on a back burner to any show you want to attend. I mean, if they had done this in 06, no one in the South and other states would be getting priority.

They just need to get their site up to speed to allow massive attacks like it got for Ed shows and the Vic. That or maybe sell a different city at different times of the day. It would slow traffic down.
  • Options
    smaksmak Posts: 226
    Even though I have a very low number :)...

I think the fairest way is to give everybody priority to 1 show.

For those that pick that show as their priority show, tickets are given out based on seniority.

For everybody who wants tickets to that show, but didn't choose it as their #1 priority, tickets are given out after the priority #1 people, in order of seniority.

Takes care of all the people who live where PJ don't play.
  • Options
    I have my blank money orders ready to go for Kansas City and Omaha.
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • Options
    3mvps3mvps Posts: 23
    FUN_E that is what is amusing about this. ITS A SERVER THAT IS DESIGNATED TO ISSUE A CETRAIN AMOUNT OF TICKETS!!! THEREFORE SOMEONE WILL BE LEFT OUT. 2000 seat .......???? wanting tix. Then another 2000 seats and ??? wanting tix. If your profile lists a bunch of "times" Ive seen PJ and it is alot...change it,,,we dont feel for you, especially us that live in places that they dont come to!!

PEPPER wrote:
    Last time I checked I saw people purchased and attended the show at The Vic...yesterday, people bought and will, I assume, be going to shows in California.....how is this ticket thing NOT working. Fans are getting tickets.

Just because you did not get tickets does not mean it is broken...remember The World Does Not Revolve Around You.

It is hard to judge if the site is broken when the last two times tickets that were offered were for very small shows with limited ticket availability.
    Hustlas prayer: If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man Take a better stand Put money in my moms hand Get my daughter this college plan, so she dont need no man Stay far from timid Only make moves when ya hearts in it And live the phrase skys the limit
  • Options
    BZ-BZ- Posts: 31
    No to the old system and definitely no to a lottery. I trust myself more than someone randomly selcting my name. I have been scewed so many times with the old Phish lotteries.
    East coast 08 please. (YESSSSS!!!!)
  • Options
    3mvps3mvps Posts: 23
    URthekey wrote:

Now thats oldschool.

Its good the way it is..............unless you dont get tix. Life goes on....LIFE
    Hustlas prayer: If the game shakes me or breaks me I hope it makes me a better man Take a better stand Put money in my moms hand Get my daughter this college plan, so she dont need no man Stay far from timid Only make moves when ya hearts in it And live the phrase skys the limit
  • Options
    Nothing like the old days spending 2 nights camped sandwiched between 2 bums holding spots for scalper for $20.

For these limited availability sales thru 10c I would love to see some limitation on the number of times the same people can score tickets. For whatever reason some seem to get skunked every time and others score every time.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    smak wrote:
    Even though I have a very low number :)...

I think the fairest way is to give everybody priority to 1 show.

For those that pick that show as their priority show, tickets are given out based on seniority.

For everybody who wants tickets to that show, but didn't choose it as their #1 priority, tickets are given out after the priority #1 people, in order of seniority.

Takes care of all the people who live where PJ don't play.

This creates a lot more work for the staff of 10Club and risks alienating their most loyal fans. Bad idea.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."