Options

Should we go back to old school ticket purchases?

UrohawkUrohawk Posts: 77
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Well the 10C did it again.....Considering the VIC fiasco and yesterdays ticket sale should they consider going back to old school ticket purchasing?

By that I mean tickets are done by mail ins and preference is given to those who live in the area of the concert.

I am all for the more modern methods of allowing purchases to multiple shows, but I think it would be great to give preferences to locals. For example, some people from NYC are going to be flying to Cali, but don't you think the guys in LA should get a priority? The karma would come back around when they play the Garden.

It always seem like I get screwed in these presales because they're at a time I have to work or that I can't manage to get tickets in my own backyard. I am all happy for you that you take off the summer and tour with the band. I just want to see them in one concert in my backyard.

I don't want to hear from people that say they make the ticket sales more of a "priority". I am usually in the operating room so don't tell me you want me to log in a computer for two hours instead of taking out your cancerous kidney.
"pearl jam tickets $150 a pair.....
the pearl jam coloring book....$200
multi-millionaires singing a song telling me...
the gas in their tanks...is like money in the bank
PRICELESS!!!!!!" -SpeedyMcCready...You may be banned but the message lives on!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Urohawk wrote:
    Well the 10C did it again.....Considering the VIC fiasco and yesterdays ticket sale should they consider going back to old school ticket purchasing?

By that I mean tickets are done by mail ins and preference is given to those who live in the area of the concert.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with you (inviting all sorts of backlash from people who are probably reselling tickets anyway.)

The only time I could get anything resembling a decent seat was the old way and in all honesty, it really wasn't that much trouble to go through. It wasn't nearly as much hassle as frantically refreshing while the ticket sellers beat me to them.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    But then when the post office loses your ticket payment, people will be bitching then. There is no one way that can make everyone happy. People will always complain about something.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    The only time I could get anything resembling a decent seat was the old way and in all honesty, it really wasn't that much trouble to go through. It wasn't nearly as much hassle as frantically refreshing while the ticket sellers beat me to them.

The seat quality has declined for me as well. The multiple show folks seem to put a damper on my medicore number. I guess I wasn't "hardcore" enough in high school to realize I should join a bands fan club, although I have been to 9 shows.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    But then when the post office loses your ticket payment, people will be bitching then. There is no one way that can make everyone happy. People will always complain about something.

Fine. Log into a computer and leave your credit card number with show requests. Do you know how easy it would be to write a program that prioritizes you by 10c number and the state you live in?

No server crashes. No charges without tickets.

No you can't please everyone but you should always strive for perfection.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    Urohawk wrote:
    Do you know how easy it would be to write a program that prioritizes you by 10c number and the state you live in?

Now, I do like that idea. I just don't wanna go back to the old mailing or telephone system
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    The mail-in system had its merits, but a working website is the best solution.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I really liked the old way. I'd so much rather go through the "hassle" (if you call it that) of getting a money order and mailing it, then to sit on the computer for hours on end and end up with nothing.

Plus if there aren't enough tickets to fill everyone's order the TC can use a system that's fair to everyone, instead of the same people getting tickets with the current system (assuming those with newer faster computers are always snagging tickets).
  • Options
    Going back to the mail - that is funny - how about we see if the Pony Express is available for servicing this.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Anything is better than what is happening now

1st the Vic...now the EV solo tour :(

I wish I could stay positive and BELIEVE things are improving, but...

Question of the day...why sell all EV shows at once? Surely they must have known the system would crash??
  • Options
    augustwest wrote:
    Anything is better than what is happening now

1st the Vic...now the EV solo tour :(

I wish I could stay positive and BELIEVE things are improving, but...

Question of the day...why sell all EV shows at once? Surely they must have known the system would crash??

While the system is not optimal if you don't give up - you never know - I got Vancouver tickets in under a minute yesterday and got Vic tickets 25 minutes after they went on sale.

One reason for putting them all on sale at once is so the people that seem to have the "luck" don't grab all the tickets to all the shows.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    While the system is not optimal if you don't give up - you never know - I got Vancouver tickets in under a minute yesterday and got Vic tickets 25 minutes after they went on sale.

One reason for putting them all on sale at once is so the people that seem to have the "luck" don't grab all the tickets to all the shows.

You got lucky with your Vic tickets, I'd say.

If you were a betting person would you have bet money on the fact that the system crashed yesterday? Be honest. If they don't stagger the onsales...there are certainly other options that are viable? Right?
  • Options
    PEPPER wrote:
    Last time I checked I saw people purchased and attended the show at The Vic...yesterday, people bought and will, I assume, be going to a shows in California.....how is this ticket thing NOT working. Fans are getting tickets, just because you did not get tickets does not mean it is broken...remember The World Does Not Revolve Around You.

It is hard to judge if the site is broken when the last two times tickets that were offered were for very small shows with limited availability.

If you don't even have a chance to get tickets in the first place how can that be called fair? The system crashed. It wasn't working.

A lottery would have been a better option...or make the min amount you can buy is for 1 EV show ONLY
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    augustwest wrote:

i disagree.. its best to do it all in one day.. we had staggered sales for the Euro shows in 06 and it was a disaster..

i.e. i wanted say London tickets which were released 7 days after the other ones... if i didnt get lucky with London then i cant go back in time and try for another show.. know what i mean?

its hard to explain but basically if you release them in batches and the only ticket you want is in the last batch and you dont get one then bang goes your chances of getting any... whereas if they all are released at once.. and you see Vancouver is SOLD OUT it gives you another chance at a venue where you might have to travel... but you'll see a show.

if the server was better it'd cope with a release all in one go... its how every other tour is done.. batch releases would be a backwards step. (see The South fiasco in 06 also... they didnt go for North Tour tickets expecting a release of Southern dates afterwards... it never came!)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    cant be any worse than this
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    PEPPER wrote:
    Last time I checked I saw people purchased and attended the show at The Vic...yesterday, people bought and will, I assume, be going to shows in California.....how is this ticket thing NOT working. Fans are getting tickets.

Just because you did not get tickets does not mean it is broken...remember The World Does Not Revolve Around You.

It is hard to judge if the site is broken when the last two times tickets that were offered were for very small shows with limited ticket availability.

thats sorta untrue... what was happening was the BUY button was showing and it allowed people to 'purchase' tickets... then it would go so far and then kick them out... meanwhile the ticket price was 'withheld' from that person account... so today you can read a few threads about people who have $1000 on their card as a pending transaction but no tickets... this is an example of the site not working... i believe the BUY button is still there... go ahead and try and buy 2 tickets... it'll let you and then right at the end will chuck you out.. but it will still 'retain' that cost from your credit card... of course this will be refunded in 3-5 days but what if i needed that money for something else in the meantime?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind the 2000 system, as long as you still have to pick your tickets up at the window, day of.
  • Options
    donniedonnie Posts: 15
    Absolutely not! Those of us who do not live in a metropolitan area would never see a show! PJ has only come to my area of the globe once...ever. If I don't travel to see them, I won't see them. I'll take my chances online thanks. Worked for the Vic!
    *the lucky ones*
  • Options
    donnie wrote:
    Absolutely not! Those of us who do not live in a metropolitan area would never see a show! PJ has only come to my area of the globe once...ever. If I don't travel to see them, I won't see them. I'll take my chances online thanks. Worked for the Vic!

Thats not how the system would have to be set up. I am from Iowa and they rarely tour Iowa. In a reasonable system I could designate a show as my first priority say Chicago, St Louis, Minneapolis, etc. I would get priority over people from California for example.

It's easy. It would allow you to travel and still get a shot at tickets.
  • Options
    Going back to the mail - that is funny - how about we see if the Pony Express is available for servicing this.

Look man you can call your phone company and talk to a computer or you can get a real live person. You tell me what is better and what is newer of that combination. Technology isn't always the best.
  • Options
    PEPPER wrote:
    And for people who want to go back to the mail in for tickets I would recommend calling your doctor in advanced to treat your huge ulcer. So many things go thru your head worrying the payment makes it to the Ten Club. During this time tickets go on sale to the general public and you wonder if you should buy an extra set "just in case"...I hated those days

Read my post. It could be done on the computer with credit cards. Just standardize the system and go by seniority and local priority. It doesn't have to be snail mail.
  • Options
    PEPPER wrote:
    Just because you did not get tickets does not mean it is broken...remember The World Does Not Revolve Around You.

Never said it did. I didn't even try for tickets. I just think there is a better and more fair way to make tickets available. Just trying to change the place for the better one step at a time.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    That system is fine for cities that get regular shows, but really shitty for places that don't, so people from these places (read: not North America) need to travel to get a PJ fix.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Urohawk wrote:
    Never said it did. I didn't even try for tickets. I just think there is a better and more fair way to make tickets available. Just trying to change the place for the better one step at a time.

nevermind pepper...keep on keepin on :)
  • Options
    pj4900pj4900 Posts: 14
    There are more fans than tickets so put those, that want to go, in a lottery. The winners will be emailed and/or snail-mailed a passcode (which is unique) to purchase them within 10 days. If not purchased another member is picked.
    Simple.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Urohawk wrote:

I am all for the more modern methods of allowing purchases to multiple shows, but I think it would be great to give preferences to locals. For example, some people from NYC are going to be flying to Cali, but don't you think the guys in LA should get a priority? The karma would come back around when they play the Garden.

It always seem like I get screwed in these presales because they're at a time I have to work or that I can't manage to get tickets in my own backyard. I am all happy for you that you take off the summer and tour with the band. I just want to see them in one concert in my backyard.

I don't want to hear from people that say they make the ticket sales more of a "priority". I am usually in the operating room so don't tell me you want me to log in a computer for two hours instead of taking out your cancerous kidney.

remove the kidney man. all of this isn't worth the headache. bold people making big statments behind the safety of their computers and wouldn't be so rude if they met a 10C ticket person face to face about this. sometimes i hate the fucking internet. it emboldens people to a point where i'm embarassed to even have a login here.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Urohawk wrote:

I am fine with the system. I get tickets everytime I want to, never been shut out.

I don't know the specifics of the Vic, but it amazes me people are still so angry about this. The show was in a really small place!!! A lot of people were going to get shut out!!!

I love the backyard argument. If you were in a band and someone wanted to travel across the country to see you, would you not allow them to have a chance at the best seats. They are not getting priority, just the best chance. I would be flattered they wanted to travel that far and let them try to get them just like everyone who lives in the area of the show.

You say you want to see concerts in your backyard. You can still see them. It's not like these shows are sold out. There are still chances to get tickets for this small tour on Friday.

By the way, if anyone is wondering Urohawk is a urologist. I was curious when he said, "remove a cancerous kidney" so I searched his old posts and he mentions it any chance he gets.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I am fine with the system. I get tickets everytime I want to, never been shut out.

By the way, if anyone is wondering Urohawk is a urologist. I was curious when he said, "remove a cancerous kidney" so I searched his old posts and he mentions it any chance he gets.

Look at when I have posted that I am a urologist. One was a thread on peoples' job. The others were in reference to the exact thing you mentioned. "I am fine with the system. I get tickets everytime." I have a career and a job that doesn't allow me to sit by a computer for two hours in a rampant fit to try and buy tickets at every presale.

People usually challenge my commitment to the band or lack of support because I can't make time for ticket sales or I don't frequent message board and have a high post count. What is the point of joining the 10c if I have no access to the ticket sales. Under the old version of ticket purchasing I could actually get tickets to shows locally. Under the new system I have had to travel 5 hrs from my home show for the tour which means I probably screwed some local guy in Cinnci from getting a ticket when I lived in Detroit.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Urohawk wrote:
    Look at when I have posted that I am a urologist. One was a thread on peoples' job. The others were in reference to the exact thing you mentioned. "I am fine with the system. I get tickets everytime." I have a career and a job that doesn't allow me to sit by a computer for two hours in a rampant fit to try and buy tickets at every presale.

People usually challenge my commitment to the band or lack of support because I can't make time for ticket sales or I don't frequent message board and have a high post count. What is the point of joining the 10c if I have no access to the ticket sales. Under the old version of ticket purchasing I could actually get tickets to shows locally. Under the new system I have had to travel 5 hrs from my home show for the tour which means I probably screwed some local guy in Cinnci from getting a ticket.

[/url]

I hope you are as good a urologist as you are at crowbarring the fact that you are one into every post!

I didn't challenge your commitment to the band, I could care less about your commitment. For you, maybe it doesn't make sense to join the 10club, but for the majority of members it does. I don't think they'll be changing just to accomodate you. But send them your resume like you did us, and maybe they will.

You didn't screw anyone out of a ticket in Cincy. You are a fan, you wanted to make the sacrifice to drive to Cincy from wherever you are. Why should you not have as much chance to get good seats as everyone else?

I don't hide behind a computer either. My username is my real first initial and last name. PM me if you need more info.

Good job, once again, hammering it home that you are a urologist!

By the way, I just removed the link you posted when I quoted you because I saw you removed it from your original post. See, I'm not all bad!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    my dad works for USPS... id be fine with the old school method :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I didn't challenge your commitment to the band, I could care less about your commitment.

No you didn't but a heck of a lot of people around here pull committment card (via low post count comments, etc.) and lack of initiative as the reason for not getting tickets. I am just saying that some things interfere with some of us buying tickets. It could be any job...teacher in class....army ranger in Iraq, garbage man running his route, etc.
    rrivers wrote:
    You didn't screw anyone out of a ticket in Cincy. You are a fan, you wanted to make the sacrifice to drive to Cincy from wherever you are. Why should you not have as much chance to get good seats as everyone else?!

Well if I could see a home show in Detroit then I wouldn't have to go to Cincy and some guy in Cincy could see them in his back yard.
    rrivers wrote:
    By the way, I just removed the link you posted when I quoted you because I saw you removed it from your original post. See, I'm not all bad

Hey thanks. I realized that has my email and some other info. As a recent victim of identity theft I thought I should take it down.

Look I think you and I got off on the wrong foot. You just made it sound like you were suspicious of what I did by reading my previous posts. I figured I would prove it to you. I probably mistook your posts as a bit malicious and responded in kind. My apologizes.

I am glad you get tickets all the time. I used to get the majority I wanted as well. Under the new purchase as many shows as you want policy I have steadily noticed it's pretty tough to get tickets these days. Ones 10C number has no effect on that now.