Recent Spin Article (Oct '09) quote & stuff

HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
edited October 2009 in The Porch
So I just picked up the most recent Spin with PJ on the cover. I read the it (the PJ related stuff) and had two conclusions.

1. The article was too short of a piece considering the band is on the cover.

2. There is a line in the editorial article at the front of the magazine (pg 12) where the editor (Doug Brod) indicates reviewer Josh Modell gave Backspacer a "...glowing review last month..." This doesn't make any sense. I'm not going off on an anti-reviewer rant, but if that review was "glowing" then it was the most backhanded glowing review I've read yet. Reread it and see if it passes the "glowing" test. Based on his review, it's my observation that Modell wishes he was writing for Pitchfork.

There's also a pretty telling quote from Gossard on page 46. He says: "I've been disappointed in some of our records," Gossard says. "It's been a while since people said, 'I gotta go buy this new Pearl Jam.' But I think this record is what we could've done for the last five records in terms of re-engaging with the roots of why this band works. And if no one likes it, I will be shocked. Because I know it's good."

I think this is amazingly candid and I'm really appreciative he's so honest with the interviewer. Personally, I can't say I entirely disagree with him, and realize this was a broad and generalizing statement... but last five? I'm genuinely surprised he's lumping No Code and Yield in with the albums that came after. I wonder how he would've clarified had the interviewer pressed him on this.

Thoughts?
"A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    if stone thinks backspacer is better than Yield, or Binaural for that matter, i'll end my friendship with him.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Maybe Stone's including RVM and Lost Dogs along with Binaural, RA, and S/T?
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I'm also quite surprised Stone said that too. I think all the albums have their highs and not so highs. All the albums have stimulated me and given me the ooomph in some way or another that the first three did. I don't know, I'm sitting here thinking about it. I guess the first three had a rawer energy about them and over the years that has changed, maybe he feels they're connecting more to that on this album. I can't second guess what he's thinking, but I hope in some way he has pride in the last five albums, I've enjoyed them.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    Gmoney wrote:
    if stone thinks backspacer is better than Yield, or Binaural for that matter, i'll end my friendship with him.

Backspacer for me is every bit as good as yield (I know its a sin to say anything like this here) and its far superior to binaural. although its not in the no code league i dont think. Time will tell.

Stones opinion is his though, and remember its just his opinion, which he is quite entitled to
  • I compare Stone's comment to what George Martin said about the White Album. He thought they should have made one really strong single album with just the best bits rather than an indulgent double album with all the crazy stuff thrown in. I think Stone is thrilled to have a producer back in the mix that can edit and change the songs to make them tighter and better and that was lacking on the past few records.

Each of the past few records has had some GREAT moments and for me some nearly great moments but would have benefited from a strong 3rd party editor. I think that's what he is saying....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Everyone always quotes the "it's Stone's fault" but I really think that if Mike and Stone were running the band the music would be infinitely better. I have argued for years now that Ed is the reason why Pearl Jam is the way it is. If you like that then that's great if you don't then....even with Backspacer the band got together without Ed to write and put together songs. I think Ed basically chooses what he likes as far as what lyrics get written. Backspacer has at least 3 songs that Ed worked on by himself Just Breathe, The End, and Speed of Sound. So what happened to all of the stuff the band did before? The last few albums show Ed's self-indulgence with the Bush and political songs. I just wonder if MIke or Stone was viewed as most talented member like maybe Eddie Van Halen was if the direction wouldn't be immensely different. I think this is what Stone is referencing that he is happier with the song selection and process and that the heavy-handed politics are absent. In the same interview ed says something like forgive us if we try to makeup for our self-sabotage this is what it means and I think Stone was generalizing on the number of albums. There is a reason they do not play much Riot Act or Binaural live anymore.
    Touring Fan since 1996
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Everyone always quotes the "it's Stone's fault" but I really think that if Mike and Stone were running the band the music would be infinitely better. I have argued for years now that Ed is the reason why Pearl Jam is the way it is. If you like that then that's great if you don't then....even with Backspacer the band got together without Ed to write and put together songs. I think Ed basically chooses what he likes as far as what lyrics get written. Backspacer has at least 3 songs that Ed worked on by himself Just Breathe, The End, and Speed of Sound. So what happened to all of the stuff the band did before? The last few albums show Ed's self-indulgence with the Bush and political songs. I just wonder if MIke or Stone was viewed as most talented member like maybe Eddie Van Halen was if the direction wouldn't be immensely different. I think this is what Stone is referencing that he is happier with the song selection and process and that the heavy-handed politics are absent. In the same interview ed says something like forgive us if we try to makeup for our self-sabotage this is what it means and I think Stone was generalizing on the number of albums. There is a reason they do not play much Riot Act or Binaural live anymore.
    You make some great points; but I do love RA and Bin.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    HeavyHands wrote:
    "I've been disappointed in some of our records," Gossard says. "It's been a while since people said, 'I gotta go buy this new Pearl Jam.' But I think this record is what we could've done for the last five records in terms of re-engaging with the roots of why this band works. And if no one likes it, I will be shocked. Because I know it's good."
    I think he's talking in terms of public acceptance of the last 5 records as it relates to making the tunes more accessible to the masses, whether through the way it's written, the lyrical content, engineering/mixing, etc. I don't care what anyone says, musicians WANT their music to be accepted and liked. PJ took themselves out of the public eye to survive, but it cost them in terms of public acceptance and relevancy.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Stone has made no secret that he didn't always agree with the direction the band has taken in the past.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • They should have never kicked out Dave A.

...or wait... what is this thread about? ;)

Nice quote from Stone. Even though I don't agree. I think Riot Act and Binaural are the kind of records and music that makes Pearl Jam so great to me. Screaming their lungs out on short punksongs aren't what I love with them, even though it can be cool from time to time. Rather have In The Moonlight and Help Help over Got Some and Spin The Black Circle.

But nice that he's sinsere, too bad he can't agree with me and realese Riot Act 2 :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • but isn't that what happens when new stuff comes out?

THIS IS THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE!!

they're sellin' it. that's all.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• but isn't that what happens when new stuff comes out?

THIS IS THE BEST WE'VE EVER DONE!!

they're sellin' it. that's all.

great point. bands always say that in interviews, then you get their REAL feelings a few years later.
  • Definitely always respect Stone and his opinion--afterall, he is the one who started the band (with Jeff) and hired Ed.

This quote definitely explains why Stone has been less than enthusiastic during most of the shows during the 2000s.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron

• great point. bands always say that in interviews, then you get their REAL feelings a few years later.

yup
    it's all pink puffy clouds now for the new release.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    As I think about this quote, I wonder how Ament would assess the catalogue. (He is typically portrayed as being a pretty opinionated guy.) Especially considering that line in the "Ten Past Ten" article from Spin in 2001(ish) where it is stated that Ament didn't even know that the band was recording for No Code until three days into the session.

"AMENT: No Code, I wasn't super involved with that record on any level. I found out three days into the session that they were actually recording. I'd worked really hard, demoed up a bunch of stuff, and luckily at that point I was working on the Three Fish record. If I wouldn't have had Three Fish at that point, it probably would have broke the camel's back." (http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/spin801.shtml)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Everyone always quotes the "it's Stone's fault" but I really think that if Mike and Stone were running the band the music would be infinitely better. I have argued for years now that Ed is the reason why Pearl Jam is the way it is. If you like that then that's great if you don't then....even with Backspacer the band got together without Ed to write and put together songs. I think Ed basically chooses what he likes as far as what lyrics get written. Backspacer has at least 3 songs that Ed worked on by himself Just Breathe, The End, and Speed of Sound. So what happened to all of the stuff the band did before? The last few albums show Ed's self-indulgence with the Bush and political songs. I just wonder if MIke or Stone was viewed as most talented member like maybe Eddie Van Halen was if the direction wouldn't be immensely different. I think this is what Stone is referencing that he is happier with the song selection and process and that the heavy-handed politics are absent. In the same interview ed says something like forgive us if we try to makeup for our self-sabotage this is what it means and I think Stone was generalizing on the number of albums. There is a reason they do not play much Riot Act or Binaural live anymore.

Well i don't think that there is any question that if Stone was leading the charge this would be a very different band.

But to be quite honest, two of my very favorite Pearl Jam albums have always been Vitalogy/No Code, and two me those are the two albums where Ed really took charge and basically called ALL the shots. I'm fully aware that the band likely never would have survived if things had continued that way, but for me this was still Pearl Jam at its very peak.

And btw i disagree with Stone...to a certain degree. Certainly Riot Act and Binaural could have been much better, but i think No Code and Yield are quite fine just the way they are.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.