Options

Stupid Mop???

BlockheadBlockhead Posts: 1,535
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Are these lyrics actually taken from a real life discussion or from some movie or show? Vitalogy has always been my favorite album, but after listening to it the other day, and having children of my own, i can't imagine someone taking discussion of a mentally ill patient and making a song out of it for entertainment. Same with Eddie...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    HeidiJam wrote:
    Are these lyrics actually taken from a real life discussion or from some movie or show? Vitalogy has always been my favorite album, but after listening to it the other day, and having children of my own, i can't imagine someone taking discussion of a mentally ill patient and making a song out of it for entertainment. Same with Eddie...

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was an interview between a Dr. and patient...? :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    HeidiJam wrote:

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was an interview between a Dr. and patient...? :?

yeah it's my understanding that it's taken from an educational video about schizophrenia that came out in the 80's.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    from the Vitalogy wikipedia page:

while "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me" was created using looped recordings of real patients from a psychiatric hospital.[19]
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    HeidiJam wrote:

interesting perspective, I never thought about it like that. While it wasn't used to exploit or make fun of the patient, I'd have to agree that its probably not the most PC thing to do.

That being said, I'm not PC, and it doesn't actually bother me. If it was someone from my family though... I wouldn't be as cool with it.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    The best thing I can do is to never, ever listen to it. I'm pretty sure if I actually sat down and listened to that garbage I would end up in a mental hospital. What a waste of space on an incredible album! The worst thing that Pearl Jam has ever done a thousand times over.
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Options
    The best thing I can do is to never, ever listen to it. I'm pretty sure if I actually sat down and listened to that garbage I would end up in a mental hospital. What a waste of space on an incredible album! The worst thing that Pearl Jam has ever done a thousand times over.

I used to agree, but I love the music in the background. Its so haunting.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,921

Wow, that's horribly negative. I couldn't agree with you more. Being the dedicated PJ fan, I gave it several listens over a considerable span of time. To see if there was anything I hadn't seen before. To this day, I consider Vitalogy ending in Immortality. I fail to recognise Stopid Mop's existence.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    The creepiest track in all of PJ's catalog.
  • Options
    It's a video from the NOVA collection called "Matter of Mind". Very interesting video if you ever have the chance to watch it. But its pretty hard to find.

I don't look at the song as exploiting these people for entertainment purposes, At all...It's actually not an entertaining song.If it were that would be a different story. For example, if it were followed with a few "yeah yeah yeah's" and a catchy melody. The song, much like the album, has a theme of internal struggle and dealings of mental health, much like the book Vitalogy. I think it is actually a fitting song for the record and after reading pieces of the Vitalogy book itself...it all just seems to fit together.

But that's my opinion. :)
    here for the music...
  • Options
    Wow, that's horribly negative. I couldn't agree with you more. Being the dedicated PJ fan, I gave it several listens over a considerable span of time. To see if there was anything I hadn't seen before. To this day, I consider Vitalogy ending in Immortality. I fail to recognise Stopid Mop's existence.

You guys don't get it. It's not something you listen to every time you play Vitalogy....the same way you don't listen to Revolution #9 every time you play The White Album. And it's not necessarily something you listen to several times over a considerable span of time to decide if it's "good" or "bad" because you can't even classify it with any other Pearl Jam track. But the fact that you can't classify it with any other Pearl Jam track is part of it's merit.

"She prides herself on her cleaning habits"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

You guys don't get it. It's not something you listen to every time you play Vitalogy....the same way you don't listen to Revolution #9 every time you play The White Album. And it's not necessarily something you listen to several times over a considerable span of time to decide if it's "good" or "bad" because you can't even classify it with any other Pearl Jam track. But the fact that you can't classify it with any other Pearl Jam track is part of it's merit.

I respect what your saying, i just think it's shit and it kinda makes my ears bleed.

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • Options

I respect what your saying, i just think it's shit and it kinda makes my ears bleed.

ok well I understand that

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I have a hard time listening to it but at the same time I think it's a perfect way to end Vitalogy. Think about the theme of the album and the artwork and just the entire package that is that album....it fits
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    I understand that its a perfect ending and i think that also, but being a parent now, i don't understand the point of using a real discussion between a doctor and a mental patient. It seems to go a little to far, there are plenty of other ways to be creative and have a fitting ending then what they did. How would eddie feel if one of his daughters was in the same position and a band used that as thier musical creativity.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,991
    HeidiJam wrote:
    I understand that its a perfect ending and i think that also, but being a parent now, i don't understand the point of using a real discussion between a doctor and a mental patient. It seems to go a little to far, there are plenty of other ways to be creative and have a fitting ending then what they did. How would eddie feel if one of his daughters was in the same position and a band used that as thier musical creativity.

uh...how would it be possible to determine whose voices these are? It's not like they broke into a doctor's office and stole audiotapes....this is obviously stock tape of some sort that they were able to use without crediting
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    I agree 100%.
    Especially in the part of being sick listening this song.

And I would call Their worst song but before album version of Speed of Sound...
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    You think Speed of sound is worse than this drivel? :o :?
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    It's a video from the NOVA collection called "Matter of Mind". Very interesting video if you ever have the chance to watch it. But its pretty hard to find.

I don't look at the song as exploiting these people for entertainment purposes, At all...It's actually not an entertaining song.If it were that would be a different story. For example, if it were followed with a few "yeah yeah yeah's" and a catchy melody. The song, much like the album, has a theme of internal struggle and dealings of mental health, much like the book Vitalogy. I think it is actually a fitting song for the record and after reading pieces of the Vitalogy book itself...it all just seems to fit together.

I actually have a 1913 edition of Vitalogy...fucking awesome. I've read some pieces of it and I'd have to agree with your statement...the dialogue in the song definitely goe well with the albums concept...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    halszka123 wrote:
    I agree 100%.
    Especially in the part of being sick listening this song.

And I would call Their worst song but before album version of Speed of Sound...

The demo version of Speed of Sound should've made the album.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    Unfortunately - yes.
    Maybe one day I will change my mind, but now I know - while Foxymop sounds unique and bring some emotions (depressing me), album version of Speed of sound is just shit -good song turned to big crap
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    DS114969 wrote:
    :lol:

• Options
    Hmmm... i wonder how many times this discussion has been recycled over the years.

seems like about every week, some variation on this thread pops up and all the same things get said over & over again.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    Hmmm... i wonder how many times this discussion has been recycled over the years.

seems like about every week, some variation on this thread pops up and all the same things get said over & over again.
    just to remember
    ;)
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    I was just asking about where the actual dialogue came from, and how from a parents point of view seems rather stupid. If its from some video thats cool, but if they found some tape somewhere with this on it, then thats pretty sad. I noticed there were no credits thats why i ask
  • Options
    HeidiJam wrote:
    I was just asking about where the actual dialogue came from, and how from a parents point of view seems rather stupid. If its from some video thats cool, but if they found some tape somewhere with this on it, then thats pretty sad. I noticed there were no credits thats why i ask

If you read my earlier post, its form a Video in the NOVA series called "Matter of Mind".
    here for the music...
  • Options
    Vitalogy is worthless without this track. Actually it's the only track I listen to on this album.
  • Options
    idrapridrapr Posts: 66
    I have owned Vitalogy since it was released and have only listened to that song once. I was so disturbing to me that I go put of my way to avoid it. Aside from that it is a brilliant album.
  • Options
    I dont think is fair to speak like this. Believe me If I listed the radio today i will need an "internation period" ;)
    But ok, i am in the "loving" moment.
    "Any life is made up of a single moment, the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all, who he is." JLB.
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Considering where the state of the band was....where eddie was as an idividual struggling with stardom..and everything surrounding the band at that given time and place...If you were to read between the lines a bit, you would see it is the perfect ending to the record. I consider it one of the biggest metaphors in the bands exsitence...:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686

where i can find that thing... any website???

...and regarding to the post, I used to be afraid of that song but now I enjoy the track, it's weird but the music behind is awesome... I would love to know what they say about that track, what they were thinking... I am sure there is a lot behind the song... and YES fit perfectly into the Vitalogy Concept
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif