Options

Backspacer - 1/2 great, 1/2 okay

colors blendcolors blend Posts: 195
edited October 2009 in The Porch
It has been several weeks now and we have all spun the record hundreds of times...so now I feel I can give an honest review.

Gonna see my friend...great first track..the louder the better! love the base line at the end

Got Some....falls short for me...Ed's voice is obviously strained throughout the song. The song itself is kinda gimmicky...but does build up to a strong finish

The Fixer...pearl jam having fun..good to see and great to hear

Johnny Guitar...took a while, hated it at first but find it stuck it my head all the time

Just breathe...thank you, great extension of into the wild, great lyrics, great delivery, nice use of strings

Amongst the waves...is what we have all been waiting for, pearl jam doing what they do best

Unthough Known...is one of the best pieces in the entire pj catalog...amazing lyrics, nice build up and break, nice use of a piano...just gets better everytime

Supersonic....another fun song but again falls short...odd placement, weak lyrics, just makes you notice that this album only has the one balls out rocker (gonna see my friend)

Speed of sound...good song, completely different than the demo...accomplishes what songs like sleight of hand and rival failed to do.

Force of Nature...a lot of folks say this is their best in years...I just don't hear it...maybe with more time

The End....scary good, delivery is incredible...makes you wonder if Ed is okay

All in all...the songs that are good prove that the boys still got it...but there are a few that make you wonder what another album would sound like
you're god and you've got big hands
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    supersonic and force of nature are pretty damn good. supersonic really rocks. force of nature is a constant flow of awesomeness.
  • Options
    loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    Speed of sound...good song, completely different than the demo...accomplishes what songs like sleight of hand and rival failed to do.

WHAT?!! :o

Sleight of Hand FAILS?
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I'm with you! Half is really good and half is a bit meh in my books. The good ones for me are:

GSMF
    Got Some
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unknown Thought
    Force of Nature

The End, The Fixer, Supersonic and Speed of Sound get skipped a lot already which is not a good sign.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I'm with you! Half is really good and half is a bit meh in my books. The good ones for me are:

GSMF
    Got Some
    Just Breathe
    Amongst The Waves
    Unknown Thought
    Force of Nature

The End, The Fixer, Supersonic and Speed of Sound get skipped a lot already which is not a good sign.

I only skip Johnny Guitar, and not every time.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    no way dude.
  • Options
    I think Johnny Guitar and Supersonic are far more rock than GSMF.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i don't get people's obsessions with Got Some, Unthought Known and Force of Nature. Not feeling any of them... Love the rest of the album tho'
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    To be honest, the only song I’m not feeling is GSMF. I just don’t like it. The melody, lyrics everything
    I didn’t like Life Wasted, Can’t Keep or Breakerfall either, what is it with their recent album openers?!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    It has been several weeks now and we have all spun the record hundreds of times...so now I feel I can give an honest review.

Gonna see my friend...great first track..the louder the better! love the base line at the end

Got Some....falls short for me...Ed's voice is obviously strained throughout the song. The song itself is kinda gimmicky...but does build up to a strong finish

The Fixer...pearl jam having fun..good to see and great to hear

Johnny Guitar...took a while, hated it at first but find it stuck it my head all the time

Just breathe...thank you, great extension of into the wild, great lyrics, great delivery, nice use of strings

Amongst the waves...is what we have all been waiting for, pearl jam doing what they do best

Unthough Known...is one of the best pieces in the entire pj catalog...amazing lyrics, nice build up and break, nice use of a piano...just gets better everytime

Supersonic....another fun song but again falls short...odd placement, weak lyrics, just makes you notice that this album only has the one balls out rocker (gonna see my friend)

Force of Nature...a lot of folks say this is their best in years...I just don't hear it...maybe with more time

The End....scary good, delivery is incredible...makes you wonder if Ed is okay

All in all...the songs that are good prove that the boys still got it...but there are a few that make you wonder what another album would sound like

half and half yet you seem to like a good 75% of the record?

I agree though that the record is let down from being exceptional by two tracks - different ones to yours though...I cant get into Johnny Guitar or speed of sound. Everything else is stellar for me
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,556
    I think Johnny Guitar and Supersonic are far more rock than GSMF.

Johnny guitar more rock than GSMF?? Are we listening to the same album?? lol

Johnny guitar is a midtempo song to me. There are only three rockers on this album as far as im concerned and those are gsmf, got some & supersonic.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    The only ones I tend to skip at the moment are GSMF and Speed of Sound. I like Speed of Sound, but it kills the momentum of the album for me.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    GSMF and FON are definitely my favorites. I have a problem with the fact that they left several 'great rock songs' on the cutting room floor because they wanted to trim out the fat on this album. If they are really that good, which I'm sure they are, then why not put them on the album in place of ones like Johnny Guitar which I don't like much at all. Aside from JG being cheesy, it just kind of ends out of nowhere and it seems like there should have been more to it. I really like the album but there is just something about it I can't put my finger on that makes me feel its kind of sub par. Maybe it doesn't necessarily live up to the hype? :?
  • Options
    I'm liking the album. It's much more consistent than S/T and Riot Act, though I wouldn't have it ahead of any other albums (and I'm not sure if it's ahead of Riot Act). Something is stopping me from loving it. I think it's that it doesn't have the intensity and raw-ness that for me is why I got into the band. It might be the production but the faster tunes are a bit underwhelming - I miss a real growler like Grievance or something. Fair enough though, the band are in a better place than they've been for a while and they reflect that well on record. I just miss angry PJ!

The quieter tunes are a bit over-produced at times but they work well for the most part, particularly Just Breathe. The mid-tempo stuff is good too - ATW and FON I like but I think Unthought Known is the standout tune on the album for me. Overall I think the songwriting is sterling and there are a few belters.

Gonna see my friend - 6/10
    A decent opener, but a bit forgettable IMO. Not as good as Brain of J or Breakerfall. Great bassline tho.

Got Some - 7/10
    I like it, particularly the outro. The verses are a bit stop-start but it's got some great guitar work in it and the more I listen to it the more I like it.

The Fixer - 7/10
    I like the odd intro and timing on this song. See it getting a lot of stick but I'm not sure it would have come in for so much vitriol if it hadn't been first single. The lyrics are underworked but that's obviously deliberate and it helps the feel of the song. It does get me singing along in the morning which is no mean feat...

Johnny Guitar - 6/10
    Not as mad into this as others are, don't think I'd be crying out for it at a gig. I don't skip it though, and maybe it'll turn out to be a slow burner. Although I'm not crazy about the tune I do think it helps the feel of the album as a 'happier' PJ and I like the way Eddie plays around with his voice on it.

Just Breathe - 8.5/10
    Lovely song. I love the link from the chorus back into the verse.

Amongst the Waves - 7/10
    Good song. The vocal on the verses is very REM-ish. I wouldn't rate it really highly in the PJ catalogue like a lot seem to but it fits fine on the album here between two new classics.

Unthough Known - 9/10
    Gorgeous, their best tune since I Am Mine. At first I thought the piano was a bit too much, but the more I listened the more it all fits really nicely. Great vocal, lovely band sound.

Supersonic - 7/10
    I like it, think it's really well placed after the previous 3 slow/mid-tempo songs. I think it's similar to The Fixer in being a pure 'fun' rocker, no agenda or deep meaning, but they're both done really well. For me they're more successful in what they're trying to do than Johnny Guitar or GSMF but I know I'm in the minority there.

Speed of sound - 7/10
    Like a lot of others, I loved the demo and when I heard the album song didn't know what to make of it, particularly that booming drum. It has grown a lot on me, though I'm not sure if that's down to the production or whether I just got over the shock of how different it was from what I had originally heard. Either way, I think it's one of the better tunes on the album. Reckon it will work well when/if it's played live.

Force of Nature - 7/10
    Like the OP, I don't see this as the classic that many do. Really don't like the intro guitar sound, though after that it does pick up. The chorus is very catchy and it could be a grower, or one that suprises me at a gig.

The End - 8/10
    Really nice song. I had heard so much about this tune that on my first album listen I was a little bit underwhelmed. I think I was just expecting something more epic as a closer when really it's a very simple little tune. It's really grown on me since then tho, and I love the way Ed stretches his voice to reach the higher notes. The lyrics are incredible.
    Slane - Jul 10, 1993
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    M.E.N. Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The 02 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    I think that it is 1/2 great and 1/2 AWESOME!!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    I think it's 1/2 okay and 1/2 boring
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    loopjd wrote:

WHAT?!! :o

Sleight of Hand FAILS?

Yeah this is news to me as well. Rival is great live.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    stopped reading at the "sleight of hand fails" part
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I totally agree with many of the comments on here. IMHO, Johnny Guitar, ATW, Just Breathe, and Unthought Known, even Gonna See My Friend are good (not great) songs that translate well to live. However, a few songs are, Im sorry, weak. Got Some, I mean, c'mon, Jeff should not be allowed to contribute anymore if this is the best he can do---this song is TERRIBLE! Jeff has penned some great songs over the years, but this was a total miss (kinda like Tone :roll: ) The Fixer is the obligatory radio hit, Force of Nature and Supersonic are weak, Speed of Sound I haven't made up my mind yet, and The End is the latest installment of tracking the transformation of Eddie Vedder. Sometimes I wish this band would just tour.....they are the BEST live rock show available, but it seems that Eddie is the only one left who can write a good song.....
    I hold the pain, release me!