iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,537
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Haha, I'm just kidding :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,935
    I was about to fight side by side with you for riot act! :lol:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 586
    edited October 2009
    Maybe if Riot Act had been shortened to 37 minutes with Brendan O'Brien production, then maybe it would be close! "Get Right" should've been left off. Same with "Thumbing My Way". I would think about cutting "Bu$hleaguer", but that song is kind of fitting for a Bush-era album.

I feel production and performance hurt Riot Act. Would be interesting to hear O'Brien's production on this. Not a fan of Eddie's vocal performance on much of this album. I always thought "Ghost" could've been a solid, straight-forward rocker, but it just doesn't come across with any thump! It seems like Backspacer is really tight and clean compared to Riot Act.

Some comments that I really think shines s light on Riot Act's failures (from Wikipedia): ...lead vocalist Eddie Vedder would come along and record his vocals, afterwards stating, "I just sang it, that's the take." Guitarist Stone Gossard told Guitar World, "The anal-retentive side of you goes, 'I think I could play better.' But then when the entire band goes "No, it's great as it is,' then you just get in the mood and embrace it."

Uhh, perhaps they should've been more anal-retentive.
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    all or none itself makes riot act a sweet album!
  • Options
    loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    It took FOREVER for Riot Act to grow on me, but I love it. The whole album, the sadness of Ed's voice, the awesome guitars, even the dark cover art make for a really interesting listen. Love the B-sides as well.
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • Options
    It's hard for me to rank any of the albums or songs...and that being said, I don't think it's unreasonable to like Riot Act more than Backspacer. At times I've even thought Riot Act just may be my personal favorite.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    arq wrote:
    im right with ya!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Ive got to be in a certian mood for Riot Act, but when I'm in that mood RIot Act becomes Pearl Jams best album. Backspacers an easier listen I could jam out anytime but I think it lacks that strong atmosphere and tone that Riot Act has. There's really no other album I know of that makes me feel the way Riot Act does. Great for a tired dark cold rainy winter day when you feel a bit depressed with no reason why.
    Get over here!
  • Options
    Ive got to be in a certian mood for Riot Act, but when I'm in that mood RIot Act becomes Pearl Jams best album. Backspacers an easier listen I could jam out anytime but I think it lacks that strong atmosphere and tone that Riot Act has. There's really no other album I know of that makes me feel the way Riot Act does. Great for a tired dark cold rainy winter day when you feel a bit depressed with no reason why.

but tell us what you think of godsmack
  • Options
    I love Riot Act. Great record, great tour. And All Or None is one of the SEXIEST PJ songs I've ever heard. The firse few notes and I'm like...........DAMN!!!! ;)
    Moira
  • Options

but tell us what you think of godsmack

Haha Godsmack is won of my favoirte bands behind pearl jam, papa roach and saliva. I think they're work on the scorpian king movie is prolly better than riot act but at the same time that doesnt mean i dont like Riot Act to cause I do.
    Get over here!
  • Options
    Binaural is better than Riot Act and Backspacer combined!!!
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options

I can agree with this. I still say Nothing As It Seems is one of the best songs to drive to on a rainy day.
  • Options

I can agree with this. I still say Nothing As It Seems is one of the best songs to drive to on a rainy day.

Oh hells yes.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,620
    arq wrote:

Me too. Riot Act is definitely my favorite PJ album. Backspacer... not so much.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    wnh1977 wrote:
    "Get Right" should've been left off. Same with "Thumbing My Way".
    Well that's nuts, first off.
    wnh1977 wrote:
    I always thought "Ghost" could've been a solid, straight-forward rocker, but it just doesn't come across with any thump!
    Sometimes understated thumps harder.
    wnh1977 wrote:
    It seems like Backspacer is really tight and clean compared to Riot Act.
    I think that's the exact reason why I would pick Riot Act over Backspacer. Aren't tastes funny things, products of our environments perhaps?

Binaural eats Riot Acts for breakfast, btw.
    :twisted:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    Seems like a lot of people are showing Riot Act some love in this thread.

I just want to say that I will never, ever understand why so many Pearl Jam fans dislike Riot Act. It's a brilliant album with amazing songs, the musicianship and lyrics are phenomenal...

Great rockers: Save You, Get Right (why do so many people not like this song...it rocks!), Green Disease
    Great mellow and/or mid-tempo songs: Can't Keep, Love Boat Captain, Cropduster, I Am Mine, Half Full
    Great experimentation: You Are, Help Help, Arc

Thumbing My Way is a true gem, and All Or None is superb.

I honestly feel that overall, it's in the top 2 or 3 of all the studio albums, if not the best.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    And don't even got me started about that Yield thing of theirs...
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    I like all of their albums equally except Avocado which sucks IMO. You wanna talk about a shitty album...let's talk about that one.
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    *smirks* Couldn't resist...

I've been in full Riot Act mode since Oct 5.

Plus:

RVM
    Last Exit
    Mr. Soul
    The Down Town by Days of the New

c'ya.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    um....no it isn't...not even close to backspacer.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    wnh1977 wrote:
    Maybe if Riot Act had been shortened to 37 minutes with Brendan O'Brien production, then maybe it would be close! "Get Right" should've been left off. Same with "Thumbing My Way". I would think about cutting "Bu$hleaguer", but that song is kind of fitting for a Bush-era album. [/color]

i agree with get right, but the other two are ok on the album. i'm not a fan of lbc, i am mine, cropduster, and green disease though. drop all those, add down, undone, and other side, and resequence it so it doesn't drag so much in the middle, and maybe you've got a decent album.
  • Options
    what a purely shit-stirring thread... i like your evil intentions - it gets firey replies!

things i like better about riot act:
    1) songs that required more listening to enjoy - the challenge pays off in the end
    2) dirty creepy messy atmosphere
    3) ed sounding vague and half pissed on several songs (see #2)
    4) best songs: can't keep, save you, lbc, you are, get right, green disease, all or none

things i like better about backspacer:
    1) the fact that you can put it on, listen to the whole thing without skipping a song, and fucking love it
    2) its compact, condensed, all-killer no-filler vibe
    3) the artwork and album concept
    4) best songs: gsmf, got some, the fixer, johnny guitar, just breathe, amongst the waves, unthought known... and so on

overall, backspacer's positives put it in front at this stage - we'll see what the future holds!
    Sydney 3 1998; Brisbane 1 2003; Sydney 1/2/3 2003; Brisbane 1/2 2006; Sydney 1/2/3 2006; Melbourne 1/2 2006; Adelaide 2009; EV Solo Sydney 1 2011.
  • Options
    Haha Godsmack is won of my favoirte bands behind pearl jam, papa roach and saliva. I think they're work on the scorpian king movie is prolly better than riot act but at the same time that doesnt mean i dont like Riot Act to cause I do.

OH......MY.......GOD.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,256
    The problem with the comparison is that the bloat on "Riot Act" drags it down. If "Riot Act" were 11 tracks, there would be a better basis for comparison. Imagine this track listing:

"Arc"
    "Can't Keep"
    "Save You"
    "Love Boat Captain"
    "Cropduster"
    "Ghost"
    "I Am Mine"
    "Thumbing My Way"
    "You Are"
    "Get Right"
    "Green Disease"
    "All Or None"

Then issue "1/2 Full" as the B-side to "I Am Mine," and "Help Help" b/w "Bu$hleaguer" as the long-lost 1994 holiday single.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    The problem with the comparison is that the bloat on "Riot Act" drags it down. If "Riot Act" were 11 tracks, there would be a better basis for comparison. Imagine this track listing:

"Arc"
    "Can't Keep"
    "Save You"
    "Love Boat Captain"
    "Cropduster"
    "Ghost"
    "I Am Mine"
    "Thumbing My Way"
    "You Are"
    "Get Right"
    "Green Disease"
    "All Or None"

Then issue "1/2 Full" as the B-side to "I Am Mine," and "Help Help" b/w "Bu$hleaguer" as the long-lost 1994 holiday single.

Looks good. I've done this with a lot of PJ's albums, as I think 10 or 11 songs is a pretty good amount for an album. 13 or more and it just gets to be too much information.

Riot Act is the perfect album to play as the fall slides into winter, perhaps because I listened to it so much around that time when it came out. I wouldn't say it's my favorite album, but I have a hard time ranking the albums anyway. Each album captures a moment, and Riot Act does that extremely well.
    tank you veddy much
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    BF25394 wrote:

"Arc"
    "Can't Keep"
    "Save You"
    "Love Boat Captain"
    "Cropduster"
    "Ghost"
    "I Am Mine"
    "Thumbing My Way"
    "You Are"
    "Get Right"
    "Green Disease"
    "All Or None"

You're fucking nuts if you'd drop 1/2 Full, of all the shit songs you kept on that list! Keep Get Right, Green Disease, Cropduster, Ghost, I Am Mine, LBC... but NOT 1/2 full? It's easily the best song on that weak album and the only song from RA that can actually be a show-stopper live.
  • Options

You're fucking nuts if you'd drop 1/2 Full, of all the shit songs you kept on that list! Keep Get Right, Green Disease, Cropduster, Ghost, I Am Mine, LBC... but NOT 1/2 full? It's easily the best song on that weak album and the only song from RA that can actually be a show-stopper live.

Haha, you're the one who is nuts. You don't like all those great songs...
    To each his own...
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    wnh1977 wrote:
    Maybe if Riot Act had been shortened to 37 minutes with Brendan O'Brien production, then maybe it would be close! "Get Right" should've been left off. Same with "Thumbing My Way". I would think about cutting "Bu$hleaguer", but that song is kind of fitting for a Bush-era album.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Thumbing My Way is an amazing song.

Bushleaguer blows. Is Bushleaguer even a song? I don't think so. It's like Bugs, not really a song either. And no I'm not a Republican.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Oh hells yes.
    Double oh,Double Hells,Double Yes........
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Kloddz wrote:
    And don't even got me started about that Yield thing of theirs...
    and dont make put put the big guns Ten,V.S... :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”