Just to Let you know (Unthought Known)

2»

Comments

• NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    "see the path cut by the moon... for you to walk on...."
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • DedvwDedvw Posts: 246
    stranger34 wrote:
    LOVE, Love, love this song.

except for the "making hay" lyric. Its the only flaw.

Not if you grew up on a farm riding a hay baler:) I did, and I have to say it was living.
  • The beauty of Ed's lyrics..........making hay can have more than one interpretation! :lol:
  • yes fav song on the album.
  • DedvwDedvw Posts: 246
    A lot of folks aren't familiar with what that even means...I like that line as well tho.[/quote]

what does it mean to make HAY?[/quote]
    Bring in the Cash
    Make some Dough
    Win the Lotto
    Money, Money, Money... MONEY!!!
    Earn the Benjamins...[/quote]

It also mean to take grass from a field, cut it down, dry it out, bale it, and feed it to animals.
  • Great tune!!!! Loved it after the second listen
  • JH9598JH9598 Posts: 28
    I always thought making hay meant to make love. Like a roll in the hay. Where did I get that?? :?
  • Kloddz wrote:
    1:23 in is stellar
    Gems and Rhinestones!!!

Precisely - that line gives me goosebumps every time. :arrow: :thumbup:
    * Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - May 28, 2006
    * Camden, NJ - Susquehanna Bank Center - Jun 20, 2008
    * Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Spectrum Arena - Oct 28, 2009
    * New York, NY - Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    It's nice and all but "best song ever"???? What? have you been under a rock for the last 19 years? Come on! :lol:
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    It's nice and all but "best song ever"???? What? have you been under a rock for the last 19 years? Come on! :lol:

I'm with you. Was this place like this after S/T was released?

hyperbole explosion around here.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Agreed. Thought it was a good song when I first heard it on the CD. When I watched them play it live it became my favorite PJ song of all time. You can tell Eddie loves it too.
    jimed14 wrote:
    SOLAT319 wrote:

I'm with you. Was this place like this after S/T was released?

hyperbole explosion around here.

I don't think so. Avocado never got what it deserved. I thought it was a decent album. Nothing spectacular but decent. Of course I know that to some people it was crap :D

#standingman #duranadam
  • "Dream the dreams of others and you will be no one's rival..."

That line could be the best PJ lyric ever written.

I love the song and especially the way it is sung!
  • I have been thinking about this song a lot. In my opinion is really shows the " tenderness" of Eddie's song writing. Its like a world unto itself. Not trying to be like or compete with the other songs on the album. It makes me think of my perseption of the world and how negative thoughts do really drag you down. It just makes me think of everything I take for granted and that just soaking in what the universe has to offer can make you feel better. And really normally I am not a hippy metaphysical thinking type person. Basically it makes me think thank god I have Pearl Jam in my life and I can be a part of them playing this song live, and I just feel so damn lucky!
    all those paper plates......
  • givn2fly26 wrote:
    "Dream the dreams of others and you will be no one's rival..."

Agreed, I just wish I could figure out what the hell it means. I've had hour long discussions about that one line.
    givn2fly26 wrote:

Agreed, I just wish I could figure out what the hell it means. I've had hour long discussions about that one line.

To me it's like it's a way to relate to one another. So, if you can relate to one another, it would be difficult to hate someone.

#standingman #duranadam
  • I dig it a lot as well, but I kind of wish there was more of a structured chorus rather than "Nothing left..." sung a dozen times. But it's still a great tune for sure.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I dig it a lot as well, but I kind of wish there was more of a structured chorus rather than "Nothing left..." sung a dozen times. But it's still a great tune for sure.

He also throws a "Nothing There" in once in a while too. So there you go.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    givn2fly26 wrote:

To me it's like it's a way to relate to one another. So, if you can relate to one another, it would be difficult to hate someone.

I think you need to take the whole song into account. To me it feels like the song is sort of a pep talk to someone who has self loathing or doesn't believe in themselves. "Dream the dreams of others and you will be no one's rival..." means, even if you don't see a future for yourself, try to look at others who are successful in life, be that love or money or whatever, and strive for that. i.e. Don't sell yourself short and you can do anything.

That's how I see it anyway.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Unthought Known IS THE BEST PEARL JAM SONG EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    AMAZING SONG..BUT NO..BLACK STILL IS THE BEST SONG EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC
    :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Unthought Known IS THE BEST PEARL JAM SONG EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    AMAZING SONG..BUT NO..BLACK STILL IS THE BEST SONG EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MUSIC
    :)
    Yeah...I beleive my original POsts said "one of" Pearl jam's best songs.

I still have a few others ahead of it (Black, Corduroy, Go)
  • This is going to go down as a great pj song but there are some others that are better then it...Black for example....Pj songs are just to good tosay which is better.. This will definitely be in the top 50
    This is Not For You
  • SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    unthought known is a great a song but the best thats a big call give a few years see where it stands then against all the rest of there songs also off a great l.p. too.
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • UNH1995UNH1995 Posts: 356
    PlayDeep wrote:
    Kloddz wrote:
    1:23 in is stellar
    Gems and Rhinestones!!!

Precisely - that line gives me goosebumps every time. :arrow: :thumbup:

- love, love, love Gems and RHINEstones......he hits that rhinestones note so perfectly! chills and goosebumps!
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.
  • UNH1995UNH1995 Posts: 356
    This is my second fav on the album. Still think Force Of Nature is the best, this is definitely second though. Who knows, in a few months it might be my fave.

Both songs are similar though in that there is a strong emotional feeling you get when listening to them. I still remember where I was when I heard the "Gems and Rhinestones" part for the first time. That perked my ears up big-time. One of those, grab the cd case and see what song this is, kind of moment.

- love the way you say 'grab the cd case and see what song this is, kind of moment.'
    that is how i do it...i still don't know the names of all of the songs and I still haven't opened the liner notes and studied the lyrics...i wait for those moments when i just feel the NEED to learn more.
    Lalapalooza 1992, Orphium Boston 1994, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1998, Mansfield 2000, Mansfield 2003(1&3), West Palm 2003, State College 2003, Boston 2004, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Chicago 2006, Boston 2006, Mansfield 2008(1&2), Hartford 2008, Hartford 2010, Boston 2010, Worcester 2013 (1&2), All Four Fenway shows 2016 & 2018.