Bicycling to Philly From Boston...(Please help)

PaulConnollyPaulConnolly Posts: 60
edited February 2010 in The Porch
In an effort to turn my Pearl Jam Philly weekend into an even more of an adventure, I will be riding my bicycle from Boston. I’ve planned the majority of my trip, I just need some help with roads into the city. I’ll be taking U.S. Route 202 from northern jersey into Pennsylvania, but from there I need help. I’ve only been to Philadelphia once before, and I’ve heard the warnings to stay away from North Philly. How dangerous is it? Should I stay along the river once I cross into Pennsylvania? Or take U.S. 13? Where are the terrible parts that I really need to are avoid? I’ll be on a bike with a backpack, I’m not sure if that’ll make me a target for theft or what not. What about taking a train from outside of the city to avoid all of that area? Let me know what you Phillies think. Thanks for the help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• leenecleenec Posts: 46
    If you can avoid N Philly- I would certainly try- It's not so terrible during the day but it's a congested area and not so good for a cyclist

Philly can be beautiful, staying along the river is a safe bet for the most part-
    by the time you get to Philly you will probably be exhaused, the train is a good option
  • In an effort to turn my Pearl Jam Philly weekend into an even more of an adventure, I will be riding my bicycle from Boston. I’ve planned the majority of my trip, I just need some help with roads into the city. I’ll be taking U.S. Route 202 from northern jersey into Pennsylvania, but from there I need help. I’ve only been to Philadelphia once before, and I’ve heard the warnings to stay away from North Philly. How dangerous is it? Should I stay along the river once I cross into Pennsylvania? Or take U.S. 13? Where are the terrible parts that I really need to are avoid? I’ll be on a bike with a backpack, I’m not sure if that’ll make me a target for theft or what not. What about taking a train from outside of the city to avoid all of that area? Let me know what you Phillies think. Thanks for the help.

you're driving a fucking bike from Boston?!! like...as in pedal bike? wtf is wrong with you?!! maybe in the summer...but late Oct.?BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
  • wow what a brave soul you are. And what an adventure this will be for you, I admire your determination.. now THAT is a fan folks!!!!!Ha ha good luck and enjoy the show..
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

you're driving a fucking bike from Boston?!! like...as in pedal bike? wtf is wrong with you?!! maybe in the summer...but late Oct.?BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

i didn't even think about the october piece of the pie. no telling what weather he will run into.

should make for a good story some day. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

i didn't even think about the october piece of the pie. no telling what weather he will run into.

should make for a good story some day. :lol:
    yeah you'll have to chronicle the trip for us and let us know how it goes.. and chronicle the show too please I love hearing people's PJ adventures. Dress warm and wear bright clothes and most of all have fun like I said earlier. And don't forget the soundtrack pack your MP3 player so you can listen to PJ the whole way to prep you for the live kick assness that is PJ.
  • i dont think driving a bike down Rt. 611 (n. broad st.) would be too bad, yeah the traffic sucks but it's not unsafe during the day plus you would only be in the "bad" spots for 4 miles. Why not check this out instead? http://www.greenway.org/
  • G ForceG Force Posts: 1,393
    PaulConnely... I applaud you bro. I rode my bike to Ed Solo in Santa Cruz from San Francisco. Day of. It was such a rad experience. Its about 90 miles. I'm a big cyclist too and love doing that stuff. You'll be just fine. Way to be rad and make your trip even more epic than its going to be already. Do tell us all how it goes. I also rode to the top of Haleakala Volcano from the ocean the day before Ed Maui. 10,023 ft up in 8hrs and 20 mins. That was the ride of my life. If you ever come out to the West Coast and want to ride and rock out to some PJ... I'm your guy.

Have a great and SAFE ride.
  • Thanks for the input guys. Looks like i'll try to take the US 202 to PA263 to PA611. How far north do the bad areas go? How are Willow Groove, Hatboro and Jenkintown? I have no knowledge of these places besides seeing them on map.

As far as weather goes, i'm prepared for the worst. I'm just hoping for not much rain, that may force me to drive.
  • deskilladeskilla Posts: 279
    kudos to you, i'm also a cyclist my self, but riding a bike from boston to philly in october?? do you ever hear shrinkage?? :P
    i hope to see you in philly dude
  • and just to add to what the other guy said.....BE SAFE MAN!!! We want you to stay in 1 piece so you can rock out with us all!
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Dude you are king psycho!! and I mean that in a good way! If you are really going to do this be safe my friend,take care and let us know how it goes! how long do you anticipate one-way to take you? what shows are you going to?
  • I'm going to the 30th and 31st. I'm anticipating I can do it in 2.5 days. I'm leaving Boston Wednesday after work and stopping in Rhode Island. Thursday is the biggie... Hoping to cover 180 miles to New York to stay with a friend. I plan on it taking 14-18 hours. It's a long day in the saddle, but i think i'm capable of it. Then 100 miles to philly friday.

My original plan was to drive down with a friend friday morning. My friend is still doing that, so I can always be picked up along the way if something goes wrong.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Awesome man. I don't know a damn thing about Philly, but my thoughts are with you.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Hatboro, Willow Grove, & Jenkintown are really nice suburbs. No problems at all there. It is when you get closer to Broad Street (611) when it turns into the city. Then it gets really colorful. BE CAREFUL. I would recommend against riding a bike down Broad Street into center city.
  • greggv19 wrote:
    Hatboro, Willow Grove, & Jenkintown are really nice suburbs. No problems at all there. It is when you get closer to Broad Street (611) when it turns into the city. Then it gets really colorful. BE CAREFUL. I would recommend against riding a bike down Broad Street into center city.

Even during the day? Is there a better way? What about a train from somewhere north of the city?
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    edited October 2009
    not that you will be sitting down during the show, but bring an ass cushion if plan on doing any other sitting :lol::lol:

seriously, the ride through southern mass, CT and southern NY (depending on route) should be spectacular this time of year

good luck and I hope you have a plan to get back to Boston, the return trip is always a bitch!

Ever think of raising money for the CCFA donations per mile or something like that?
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • greggv19 wrote:
    Hatboro, Willow Grove, & Jenkintown are really nice suburbs. No problems at all there. It is when you get closer to Broad Street (611) when it turns into the city. Then it gets really colorful. BE CAREFUL. I would recommend against riding a bike down Broad Street into center city.

Even during the day? Is there a better way? What about a train from somewhere north of the city?

i've been trying to check your route on google maps and i think the route you're considering is outside what i know about philly. it may seem hard to believe, but there are parts of philly that look like the land time forgot. i mean you could forget that you were in the USA. it is bad. so yes, even during the day, there are parts of philly you don't want to be in, period. from my experiences, you will be west of the worst are, referred to as Northeast Philly. that being said, there are parts of broad that are also pretty bad. you should ask someone who goes to temple university. if you can make it to the temple campus, you'll probably survive the rest. you want to know how bad it is north of temple on broad going into the city.
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    good for you man..... i wish i had the balls ...let alone the ASS to sit on a bike for 2+ days.... good luck would be cool to see a write up on the board when you return home... your shirt has to say PEARL JAM OR BUST....so when everyone is driving out to philly and see you we can all honk...ask if you need anything. ETC ETC..

hey good luck
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Pearl Jam or bust! I'll keep an eye out for you
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    We have room in the car if you need a ride?
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • 611 is good all the way down to city @ Broad st. I live in Willow Grove 2 blocks off 611 if you need a drink/rest! Also Willow Grove train station in right on 611 if it comes to that. Depending on timing I may be driving down to show Friday if you want! Admire you for trying this! Hope all goes well & safe trip!
    '98-Camden 8/29
    '03-Philly Spectrum 4/28, Camden 7/5, Hershey 7/12
    '06-Camden 5/28
    '08-Camden 6/20
    '09-Closing Down the Philly Spectrum! 10/28, 10/30, & the Epic 10/31
    '09-EV Solo Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA6/12
    '10-MSG1& MSG2, New York City, 5-20 & 5/21
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    Get_Right wrote:
    seriously, the ride through southern mass, CT and southern NY (depending on route) should be spectacular this time of year

good luck and I hope you have a plan to get back to Boston, the return trip is always a bitch!

Ever think of raising money for the CCFA donations per mile or something like that?

Good on ya' for this, you definitely should consider contacting the Wishlist for it though. I'd give a bit of cash per mile for your troubles :mrgreen:

The ride may be spectacular but with the weather we've been having lately you're more likely to see naked trees the whole way down :( If you need a ride back up just get in touch, we have some room in the back, albeit it's a teeny tiny Hyundai Tiburon, but it'd probably be more comfy and warm than a bike ride back up to Beantown ;)
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • BFLBFL Posts: 21
    As a fellow cyclist, I tip my hat to you. Be safe and may everyone along your route give you three feet.
  • Haha, I'm glad i asked for help, i've gotten some good advice. As far as the people that are offering rides, thanks so much, but i'm not doing this because i don't have a ride. I actually have a friend driving my car down on friday (that was the original plan, so now he's driving alone). We'll be going to the shows and I'll be driving home sunday with my bike on the bike rack.

I'm a competitive endurance athlete, so these kinds of things really make me feel alive.

What about taking the train from doylestown? Looks like the SEPTA has a nothern most station there. Can i bring my bike on that? That way i can avoid all those crappy places. I saw EV in philly over the summer and that train ride from center city to the venue was an eye opener to how shitty some parts of philly are. Seeing streets with cars broken down and row houses with roofs caving in and no windows make you think you're in a war zone, I couldn't believe people live there. I've been in the bad parts of Boston and they look like hamptons compared to philly.

How many of you guys are staying at the crowne plaza? I should arrive there sometime mid-day saturday, let's get drinks before the show.
  • Sir. PJSir. PJ Posts: 149
    Even better yet,

Bring along a camera and try to make a video diary of this thing.
    You might become a Ten Club legend
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited October 2009
    I'm a competitive endurance athlete, so these kinds of things really make me feel alive.

EDIT: Have a kick ass time!!!!
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    thats a great idea i hope you have a good time along the way!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Wow....

Good for you!!!

I have chosen to take a plane from Chicago to Philly....

But thats just me....

hehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Wow....

Good for you!!!

But thats just me....

hehehehehe

Dude, I'm driving to the venue and I live 10 blocks from it ... hehehe
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Solat13 wrote:
    Wow....

Good for you!!!

But thats just me....

hehehehehe

Dude, I'm driving to the venue and I live 10 blocks from it ... hehehe
    Im getting off the plane Friday at 10:30am...
    Having a bloody mary or 2 at the airport...
    Taking a cab to pick up my tickets at the venue.....
    Checking in at the hotel......

Then I may spend the next 5-7 hours causing all sorts of hell at the hotel bar...........hehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....