Options

Any Metallica fans on the PJ board?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic live band too. Got to see them 3 times.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

Not a huge fan, but I can support this. I've seen them twice, and they owned both times.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Load is ok at best. Re load sucks balls. St Anger is awesome. Death Magnetic is awesome. I don't get why people say that DM is an attempt to go back to their roots. They never lost their roots, they just tried a few new things.

Lars even said that, like it or hate it, St Anger had to be made in order to get DM. It was sort of their transitional, get the past out of the way record.

They are heavy metal's version of U2. Some experiments work, some don't (can you say Pop?). I'd rather them take a different direction and fail than make the same album over and over again. A perfect example of that is The Rolling Stones. Or ACDC. Or Aerosmith. All good in their heyday, now just a mere parody of themselves.

This post is full of delusions.

St Anger awesome? Not by a long shot
    DM IS an attempt to go back to their roots, it just failed.
    They lost their roots. Check Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger
    St Anger has no relation to the music they made before. It's crappy numetal
    Heavy Metal U2?? Who the fuck needs that.
    The newest albums from the Stones and ACDC kick the crap outta St A and DM.

Your comment about Aerosmith is the only conceivable thing.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DewieCox wrote:
    Load is ok at best. Re load sucks balls. St Anger is awesome. Death Magnetic is awesome. I don't get why people say that DM is an attempt to go back to their roots. They never lost their roots, they just tried a few new things.

Lars even said that, like it or hate it, St Anger had to be made in order to get DM. It was sort of their transitional, get the past out of the way record.

They are heavy metal's version of U2. Some experiments work, some don't (can you say Pop?). I'd rather them take a different direction and fail than make the same album over and over again. A perfect example of that is The Rolling Stones. Or ACDC. Or Aerosmith. All good in their heyday, now just a mere parody of themselves.

Not everyone can have the same perception...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options

Completely agree. I always have a blast at their shows. I'll be seeing them again next week :D
  • Options
    IMO;
    Death Magnetic was marvellous.
    Saw them at Earls Court way back when (Cunning Stunts) they blew my mind.
    Saw them at Knebworth (Big Day Out) was okay.
    Saw them at The O2 in September 2008 (Death Magnetic Release party £5 a ticket) were excellent.
    Saw them at The O2 in March 2009 (Death Magnetic World Tour) they blew my mind again.
  • Options
    Used to be a massive Metallica fan, like a lot of people on here they were the first band that I got into of my own free will.

Saw them back in '91 for the first time and they were fantastic. Played for over two and a half hours and my ears were ringing for three days! :lol:

Saw them again in 92 at Donington, at the Monsters of Rock festival (AC/DC headlined) and again in '92 on the black album tour. They were fantastic live all three times, but are not a band I would go to see live now. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem the same since Jason left.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Used to be a massive Metallica fan, like a lot of people on here they were the first band that I got into of my own free will.

Saw them back in '91 for the first time and they were fantastic. Played for over two and a half hours and my ears were ringing for three days! :lol:

Saw them again in 92 at Donington, at the Monsters of Rock festival (AC/DC headlined) and again in '92 on the black album tour. They were fantastic live all three times, but are not a band I would go to see live now. I don't know why, but it just doesn't seem the same since Jason left.

I agree say what is Jason up to these days?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    As far as I know he's still in the band he created which, ultimately, led to his departure.

I think they're called Echo Brain but I may be wrong.

No offence to the current bassist (see, I don't even know his name), but when Jason was in Metallica he had his own persona and seemed to fit very well into the band. Of course this was all before James dissapeared up his own ass and there was loads of friction between the band members.
  • Options
    As far as I know he's still in the band he created which, ultimately, led to his departure.

I think they're called Echo Brain but I may be wrong.

No offence to the current bassist (see, I don't even know his name), but when Jason was in Metallica he had his own persona and seemed to fit very well into the band. Of course this was all before James dissapeared up his own ass and there was loads of friction between the band members.

That friction probably starts with superstar LARS. Jason's old band was Flotsam Jetsam way back, he was my favorite member of the band when he started in the late 80's.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm not deluded. I have an opinion. St Anger is not by far nu metal. Nu metal is crap to me. St Anger to me was something that sounded like nothing before, by any band.

U2 was an example of a band that has longevity in their respective genre, because they take risks, try new things, and to me that's respectable. They succeed. They fail. Whether you like their music is irrelevant to what my post states. I don't like half of what they put out.

AC/DC has put out the same album 27 times. They are trash.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I'm not deluded. I have an opinion. St Anger is not by far nu metal. Nu metal is crap to me. St Anger to me was something that sounded like nothing before, by any band.

U2 was an example of a band that has longevity in their respective genre, because they take risks, try new things, and to me that's respectable. They succeed. They fail. Whether you like their music is irrelevant to what my post states. I don't like half of what they put out.

AC/DC has put out the same album 27 times. They are trash.

However, they're entertaining in concert. :D

Peace

• Options

• Options
  • Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,226
    Anybody want to trade me something for my RSD Metallica Silver vinyl of " Beyond Magnetic?" it is still sealed. Pm me.
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,753
    DewieCox wrote:
    All their albums are pretty solid til St. Anger, which sucked. They continued the suck with Death Magnetic. That's a joke of an album. It sounds pathetic.

Dude, YOU sound pathetic for saying that. You can like it or dislike and that's fine. But pathetic? Backspacer is pathetic. Death Magnetic (for the most part) fucking rocks.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,043
    DewieCox wrote:
    All their albums are pretty solid til St. Anger, which sucked. They continued the suck with Death Magnetic. That's a joke of an album. It sounds pathetic.

Dude, YOU sound pathetic for saying that. You can like it or dislike and that's fine. But pathetic? Backspacer is pathetic. Death Magnetic (for the most part) fucking rocks.
    I dug Death Magnetic a lot. St. Anger was ok, least fav album is ReLoad though.

Saw them at Orion Music which was pretty kick ass as well playined Ride The Lightning and the Black Album in it's entirety :D
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I dug Death Magnetic a lot. St. Anger was ok, least fav album is ReLoad though.

Saw them at Orion Music which was pretty kick ass as well playined Ride The Lightning and the Black Album in it's entirety :D

I liked reload better than load
  • Options
    Happy 49th birthday to Mr. James Hetfield! :D
    418776_10150971856900264_2024972268_n.jpg
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

I've seen the 3 times too. In 98 or 99 with Jerry Cantrell & Days of the New. In 2000 with Korn, System of a Down, Powerman 5000 at the L.A. Coliseum. And in 2004 with Godsmack at the Forum. They rock!
  • Options

I've seen the 3 times too. In 98 or 99 with Jerry Cantrell & Days of the New. In 2000 with Korn, System of a Down, Powerman 5000 at the L.A. Coliseum. And in 2004 with Godsmack at the Forum. They rock!

I saw that show as well w/ Jerry Cantrell and Days. In total 8 times live. First time was in '97 (free show in philly) then just about everytime they came to philly since then except the Garage Inc. tour they played at the Electric Factory and i couldn't get tix :x
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    I hope they come back to L.A. Soon. They're still my favorite Metal band.
  • Options
    Here are 2 of my ticket stubs. I couldn't find the one from the 2000 concert.

14075439-4F4E-443D-B8C6-BD6CDD1EBF4D-5505-0000037A66574BC3.jpg