Be careful! FAKE team shirts on the bay!

ElzarElzar Posts: 966
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I spotted some counterfeit tour team shirts on ebay, seller has already sold at least a handful. Flipping merch is one thing, but counterfeiting them and selling them is worse IMO. I dont mind flippers at all, it's the only way for me to obtain most of the stuff i have, but this just plain sucks - they may as well just start printing their own currency as well.
...is not somehow illegal? the dood uses a deceptive picture but states "the shirt was not bought a the event", "printed on Hanes Beefy T"

:evil:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    Def report that to the TC. Can you post the seller so we know who to avoid? I know that also draws more attention to him, but its good to know...
  • beagsbeags Posts: 41
    While this isn't cool. I have thought ever since I saw the prices these were going for on ebay, that it would be waaaay more cost effective to have a replica screen printed for yourself, than it is to throw down $100+ bones on some cotton. I know that's not supporting the band, but neither is paying some guy on ebay who may have just worked at the venue and acquired a bunch of shirts...*cough*looking at you LA 1-4*cough*
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    simple
    if you didnt get it at the show or from the 10c (or perhaps a trustworthy trader here)
    dont frigging buy it
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    beags wrote:
    neither is paying some guy on ebay who may have just worked at the venue and acquired a bunch of shirts...*cough*looking at you LA 1-4*cough*
    Why in the world were they selling the sports shirts and LA stickmen shirts outside of the venue where ANYONE could by them? I thought that was terribly lame and it really took away a lot of people's chances at getting them. Oh well, I know, but I really was surprised with something so limited they'd toss them outside of the venue to anyone.
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    You can tell that they are fakes because they are of good quality.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    I would like to know the name of the seller please :evil: I want to check if the tshirt I bought today is "legal"
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,977
    Songburst wrote:
    You can tell that they are fakes because they are of good quality.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    isn't PJ stealing someone else' logo to promote their show
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    KDH12 wrote:
    isn't PJ stealing someone else' logo to promote their show

I would guess they have permission and/or paid some type of licensing fee.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Elzar wrote:
    I spotted some counterfeit tour team shirts on ebay, seller has already sold at least a handful. Flipping merch is one thing, but counterfeiting them and selling them is worse IMO. I dont mind flippers at all, it's the only way for me to obtain most of the stuff i have, but this just plain sucks - they may as well just start printing their own currency as well.
    ...is not somehow illegal? the dood uses a deceptive picture but states "the shirt was not bought a the event", "printed on Hanes Beefy T"

:evil:

Please give a link so we know what to look out for.
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    arq wrote:
    I would like to know the name of the seller please :evil: I want to check if the tshirt I bought today is "legal"

DONT BUY THE FAKES!
    If you did, I would ask for my money back - rather than support this kind of shit.
    did you buy this one arq?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Los-Angel ... 27ac33afb2
    Elzar wrote:
    arq wrote:

DONT BUY THE FAKES!
    If you did, I would ask for my money back - rather than support this kind of shit.
    did you buy this one arq?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Los-Angel ... 27ac33afb2
    :evil: yes, I bought that one grrr...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• that sucks! the buy it now price should've been a red light no?
    I miss you hippiemom.
    that sucks! the buy it now price should've been a red light no?

if it's too good to be true.......
    I bought the entire PJ collection on vinyl for $250 shipping included (not on eBay) so I kind of consider my self lucky, so a low buy it now price is not always a bad thing :cry:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Really .. who cares? It will look great and it will be decent quality. Unless you are one of those "I have one of the few shirts and they are worth $150 on EBay" types of people, enjoy your fake shirt. You will be wearing it longer than anybody who bought 3 of the real ones.
    Songburst wrote:
    Really .. who cares? It will look great and it will be decent quality. Unless you are one of those "I have one of the few shirts and they are worth $150 on EBay" types of people, enjoy your fake shirt. You will be wearing it longer than anybody who bought 3 of the real ones.

so how many of these did you make? :D jk

i just didnt want to see anyone buy one of these and think they got the real deal - but i guess if you're ok with this, then go for it. I'll hold my hopes out that 10c will sell these and the EV merch
    Elzar wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

so how many of these did you make? :D jk

i just didnt want to see anyone buy one of these and think they got the real deal - but i guess if you're ok with this, then go for it. I'll hold my hopes out that 10c will sell these and the EV merch
    If I wasn't so lazy I would have made some. I could literally make dozens of dollars selling cheap knock-offs.

Those city-specific shirts have 2 chances of appearing in the goods section: slim and none and I think slim just left town.
    it bothers me A LOT the dishonesty, if they guy says "is a fake tshirt" I have the choice to buy it or not knowing that.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

arq wrote:
    it bothers me A LOT the dishonesty, if they guy says "is a fake tshirt" I have the choice to buy it or not knowing that.
    And yet the world keeps spinning. Seriously, you probably bought a better shirt than what was available at the show. It should bother you a lot more that multi-millionaires peddle cheap shit at inflated prices to pad their already fat wallet.
  • N_Jay_HN_Jay_H Posts: 171
    Not saying I agree with what this ebay seller is doing, but why does a member of this forum able to openly sell shirts inspired by Pearl Jam and their songs while making a profit doing so?
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=101498#p2337675
    Songburst wrote:
    arq wrote:
    And yet the world keeps spinning. Seriously, you probably bought a better shirt than what was available at the show. It should bother you a lot more that multi-millionaires peddle cheap shit at inflated prices to pad their already fat wallet.

if the guy sell his tshirts as fakes for $20 saying that "is fake" I would buy one from each city, but like I said I want to have that choice.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

N_Jay_H wrote:
    Not saying I agree with what this ebay seller is doing, but why does a member of this forum able to openly sell shirts inspired by Pearl Jam and their songs while making a profit doing so?
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... 8#p2337675

I may agree but they're not saying that they're selling the "real deal" those are more fan art or something like it, but YOU know where those tshirts come from.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Sorry someone had to find out .. thanks for the heads up !
    arq wrote:

if the guy sell his tshirts as fakes for $20 saying that "is fake" I would buy one from each city, but like I said I want to have that choice.
    I understand what your saying. I'm just saying that you likely got a better T than the "real" one so I wouldn't be too bummed out. I'm sure that you can get your money back if you really wanted to.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    I created my own sports style shirt months ago (avatar), but did it solely for the purpose of wanting to create a design with two things I am passionate about. Furthermore, I only made ONE shirt, just for me.

I think the sellers on ebay making (stealing the design) these bootleg shirts are scumbags
  • KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,096
    arq wrote:

technically wouldn't a fake shirt be one that was painted on or not real in some way

these shirts are real and the seller states that they are not from the show

a bit shady and uncreative but all things considered

bootleg shirts have been going on for years before Grateful Dead fans where pushing them out in parking lots
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
    I created my own sports style shirt months ago (avatar), but did it solely for the purpose of wanting to create a design with two things I am passionate about. Furthermore, I only made ONE shirt, just for me.

I think the sellers on ebay making (stealing the design) these bootleg shirts are scumbags
    Why? People like the shirts. PJ sold all of the ones that they made. Sure, people are profiting off of PJ without their consent and that kind of sucks I suppose. I would wager that if PJ made more of these shirts, there would not be bootlegs of them available. Plus PJ's merch quality has been worse than Hitler lately. Spend the extra 2 bucks and get proper shirts for Christ's sake.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    Songburst wrote:

Why? People like the shirts. PJ sold all of the ones that they made. Sure, people are profiting off of PJ without their consent and that kind of sucks I suppose. I would wager that if PJ made more of these shirts, there would not be bootlegs of them available. Plus PJ's merch quality has been worse than Hitler lately. Spend the extra 2 bucks and get proper shirts for Christ's sake.

I agree with you when it comes to the quality of the shirts, however, the one I got last night is a lot better than those I have purchased in the past. I washed it already and it came out looking/feeling a lot better than my other PJ tour shirts. I also bought one at LA 1 and it appears to be a lot better quality than some of my other PJ merch shirts I have bought
    I agree with you when it comes to the quality of the shirts, however, the one I got last night is a lot better than those I have purchased in the past. I washed it already and it came out looking/feeling a lot better than my other PJ tour shirts. I also bought one at LA 1 and it appears to be a lot better quality than some of my other PJ merch shirts I have bought
    The last decent quality merch that I bought on tour was in 2003 and I don't know why I keep wasting money on it -- must be a disease. Even the 10C shirts that I have bought lately (2006 LA poster, reaper, black gold, etc) have been shit quality shirts. One man can only wear so many Bandwagon tees.