Options

Force of Nature, best PJ song in years?

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,352
    damen wrote:
    Force is incredible. Cool lyrics, cool music, awesome melody and I love the guitar at the end. I think Mike gives a nod to his live playing of It's OK. Can you hear the similarity? Or maybe it's the live Betterman guitar outro?

i think moreso the betterman outro. never thought of Its Okay....maybe i will give that a listen tomorrow
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i didnt like it at first because i thought the intro riff sounded like an 80's tag team wrestling entrance music.

now it is one of my favorites.

usually my faves take awhile to sink in
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    best song on this album....yes

best song in years...depends how you define years.....in 2006 Sad was released on Lost Dogs, and that is one of their best 5 songs ever.....just amazing.

Yeah I guess "years" is a little vague. I'd say probably best song post-Yield. Arguments could be made for a few other songs. Definitely best song of the last two albums.

I agree with you about Sad though. I love the hell out of that song.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    This is my favorite song on the album too.

Some past PJ songs that had potential left me wanting another verse (Army Reserve and Smile e.g.) or a better chorus (Pilate). This one has it all. In comparison to the previous album, Force of Nature kinda feels like what Unemployable could have been had the latter's lyrics been a little more veiled/figurative. And the FON outro fits perfectly without trying too hard, like Come Back does, to be epic.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    MAAAAKES ME ACHE.......

MAAAKES ME SHAKE.....

love it. Unthought Known is probably one of their best songs though, in my opinion.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    MEGATRON wrote:

usually my faves take awhile to sink in

Me too.
  • Options
    it is a great song......mike has become a great song writer!
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 370
    Totally agree OP. i am 100% in love with this song!
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    defs agree...i really wanted it to be the next single i think it would do well on the radio...

equal fav on the album with The Fixer!
    and then second Got Some
  • Options
    It is a great, solid song - I find myself picking it out to play before the rest of the album quite a lot!
    The only thing that I think could have been better though is Mike's solo at the end. I think it's a little 'safe', if that makes sense to anyone else....!
    Definite in the album's top 3 though
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    Plankton wrote:
    This and Speed of Sound don't get enough love.

Very true..Both VERY underrated..
  • Options
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    MAAAAKES ME ACHE.......

MAAAKES ME SHAKE.....

love it. Unthought Known is probably one of their best songs though, in my opinion.

Yeah when i heard those lines for the first time, i was thinking, okay NOW its a great song.....
  • Options
    alexross42 wrote:
    It is a great, solid song - I find myself picking it out to play before the rest of the album quite a lot!
    The only thing that I think could have been better though is Mike's solo at the end. I think it's a little 'safe', if that makes sense to anyone else....!

yea it sounds like it's about to explode then just kinda dies off.
    i hope he just goes nuts live
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I'm gonna agree with the folks that love this song. The first time I listen to any PJ album I listen to the whole thing once through before I start skipping and repeating, but after my first listen to FON I had to repeat it instantly just to make sure I heard what I thought I did. Everything about the song is incredible, from the lyrics, to the guitar leads, the bass melody, the loose "Stoney" guitar riff's and of course Matt's drumming.

Force of Nature was an instant reminder of why PJ has meant so much to me since '91. They are the only band that constantly writes songs that feels like they're speaking directly to me. Now I'm not one of those that thinks that Ed is getting into my head and trying to communicate with me through his songs (like my buddy use to say Maynard from Tool was doing to him, but that's another story for another day). It's just that PJ is able to write songs that touch the true feelings of being a human being in these latter days. It's really an amazing gift that they have, and one of the many reasons that this band means so much to so many people.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    I have to agree, LOVE Force of Nature.
  • Options
    damen wrote:
    Force is incredible. Cool lyrics, cool music, awesome melody and I love the guitar at the end. I think Mike gives a nod to his live playing of It's OK. Can you hear the similarity? Or maybe it's the live Betterman guitar outro?

i think moreso the betterman outro. never thought of Its Okay....maybe i will give that a listen tomorrow
    I've heard the It's Okay nod as well (never made me think of Betterman) and this is my favorite song on the album with Amongst the Waves and Unthought Known and Just Breathe follwing VERY close behind. Unthought Known was initially my favorite and then Amongst the Waves but I have settled on Force now for a bit.
    The bottom line is this is an absolutely great album with plenty of great songs for everyone to call their favorites
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,994
    great song but I think ATW trumps it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    i've had an idea for a tattoo to sum up my summer of '07. i've had it in my head for awhile.
    i was a desperate dude at the mercy of a chick..this beacon idea is gonna be added. sweet. my first tattoo will have a pj theme. gonna go do a rough sketch
  • Options
    Well, it's one of my favourite on this album.

It's a very nice song. If I had to give one word to define this song it would be "aerial" (don't know if it really translates what i'm trying to explain... :oops: ).

Best song in years? No no. For example, Inside job is better for me... Personal opinion of course.
    Zürich - 06/23/00
    Irving Plaza (NYC) - 05/06/06
    Bern - 09/13/06
    Berlin - 08/15/09
    London - 06/25/10
    Berlin - 06/30/10
  • Options
    MEGATRON wrote:
    alexross42 wrote:

yea it sounds like it's about to explode then just kinda dies off.
    i hope he just goes nuts live

The simplicity is what makes it perfect for the song. If he went off shredding it wouldn't fit the feel of the song. I love simple perfectly voiced guitar parts. Like Pink Floyd for example. Beautiful but not flashy playing by the most underrated guitarist, David Gilmore. It's one of the things I love about Kings of Leon so much. They have perfectly balanced guitar parts that don't overpower the song. I think it caps the songs off perfectly. Though it would be cool to hear them stretch it out a little live.
  • Options
    nah. i think it could have gone on for maybe oh 10 more seconds..its a tease :) but of course still awesome
  • Options
    First live version. Doesn't sound too bad, a little sketchy in parts. Too bad the camera isn't on Mike during the outro solo. Mike looks pretty excited to be playing his song as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcGTeRwWUpo
  • Options
    While I like the song Force of Nature, I have to disagree with it being the best PJ song in years. I think Unthought Known is about a million times better than Force of Nature....Unthought Known is the best PJ song in years.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    I have to say, this is by far my favorite song on this album. Sounds like classic PJ, could have been on Yield.

Child, please.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    :D:D I´m with you. I simply love the song, and I would really love to hear it in a mint live version...
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Force of Nature is an absolutely awesome awesome song and I think would easily fall into my top 3 on this album. I just cant get enough of the album-every song is a winner in my book. Soaked in Backspacer at the mo and beginning to think that no album (PJ or other) has had this sort of effect on me!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    I agree. FON is classic Pearl Jam, albiet stuck in a Sigg water bottle and shaken up. I love it and think it is one of Backspacer's strongest songs. It was awesome live in San Diego. Some disliked Gone or Come Back from Avocado too, but I don't know why.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    I have to say, this is by far my favorite song on this album. Sounds like classic PJ, could have been on Yield.

Child, please.

Child, please?

Not the most intelligent of rebuttals, but I'm guessing you disagree. I'm sure Kiss has a thousand songs that are better, right?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:

Child, please.

Child, please?

Not the most intelligent of rebuttals, but I'm guessing you disagree. I'm sure Kiss has a thousand songs that are better, right?

i'm sure kiss has kissed the baby
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    evenflow wrote:
    I'm gonna agree with the folks that love this song. The first time I listen to any PJ album I listen to the whole thing once through before I start skipping and repeating, but after my first listen to FON I had to repeat it instantly just to make sure I heard what I thought I did. Everything about the song is incredible, from the lyrics, to the guitar leads, the bass melody, the loose "Stoney" guitar riff's and of course Matt's drumming.

Force of Nature was an instant reminder of why PJ has meant so much to me since '91. They are the only band that constantly writes songs that feels like they're speaking directly to me. Now I'm not one of those that thinks that Ed is getting into my head and trying to communicate with me through his songs (like my buddy use to say Maynard from Tool was doing to him, but that's another story for another day). It's just that PJ is able to write songs that touch the true feelings of being a human being in these latter days. It's really an amazing gift that they have, and one of the many reasons that this band means so much to so many people.
    totally agree man!
    rustedsigns