Options

Force of Nature, best PJ song in years?

rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
edited October 2009 in The Porch
I have to say, this is by far my favorite song on this album. Sounds like classic PJ, could have been on Yield. The rest of the album, while good, sounds like left overs from Ed's solo album and polished up rehearsal jams(I know that was the feel they were going for). I just don't get a consistent feeling from this album. This song just sticks out as a gem. Amongst The Waves is second.
Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,994
    it's a good song but I don't consider it top 5 on backspacer

Unthought
    Amongst
    GSMF
    Johnny
    Got Some

all stronger in my opinion
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    it's a good song but I don't consider it top 5 on backspacer

Unthought
    Amongst
    GSMF
    Johnny
    Got Some

all stronger in my opinion

I'd say replace GSMF with Just Breathe and I would be 100% in agreement.

Force of Nature is OK - not one of my favs.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I think that goes to Amongst The Waves. Easily could see it becoming a top 5 pearl jam song soon. Easily in my top 10 of favorite PJ songs even now.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    not really, its pretty average
  • Options
    I have to say, this is by far my favorite song on this album. Sounds like classic PJ, could have been on Yield. The rest of the album, while good, sounds like left overs from Ed's solo album and polished up rehearsal jams(I know that was the feel they were going for). I just don't get a consistent feeling from this album. This song just sticks out as a gem. Amongst The Waves is second.

After the first few listens I would have said Amongst The Waves was far and away the best song on the album. Now after a few (who am I kidding MANY) more listens, I hafta say I agree with you. Force Of Nature is an amazing song and my favorite on the new album.
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • Options
    You could be right.

Out of the gate my favorite was Unthought.

Then I discovered the beauty of this song. It's amazing EV doesn't stop until the end.

Force is creeping as my #1 along with Speed of Sound.

Great fucking record can't wait until Philadelphia when they play their best show 1st.
  • Options
    pearljampatriot loved the hell out of this song.. whatever happened to that guy? I haven't seen his posts around here for a week or two..

dead?
    alive?
    shipped somewhere else to fight for our freedom?
  • Options
    Glad some people agree w/ me. Thought I was all alone for a while.

I think it's the flow of the song leading into the chorus that sticks with me. The lyrics and the way Ed sings the chorus are just perfect.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Yeah it's probably one of my top 3 favorite songs ever! I can't get enough of it!
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    This and Speed of Sound don't get enough love.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,352
    should be the next single. GREAT song
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    It is a very good song but hard to say yet where it ranks among all time greats...It is to early and they haven't played it live a lot yet.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Force of Nature is one of my favorites from the album also. I dont know about best song in years but easily top 3 from Backspacer
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    I agree- best song post Binaural.
    THe lyrics, the music, the imagery, the emotion, the reality, the chorus- best song on the album.
    I dont know how anyone puts GSMF above this song. That song is so empty.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options

I hope not. I don't want to hear this song in another Target ad.

I think the key to loving this song is reading the lyrics while listening to it. I just paints an amazing mental picture along with the music.
  • Options
    Force of Nature is the best song on a great album!
  • Options
    a lot of love for amongst the waves, i really don't like that one. am i crazy?
    Follow the ageless tide.
    Follow the angled light.
    Follow the strangest tribe.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like it a lot. I do like got some better though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options

I hope not. I don't want to hear this song in another Target ad.

I think the key to loving this song is reading the lyrics while listening to it. I just paints an amazing mental picture along with the music.

they made one target ad....and it aired about 5 times in my area. won't be another.

this should definitely be the next single. love the imagery as well
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Interesting that some people love this song so much. I mean, that's cool, but to me it's the only song on the album that I find to be just okay.

Does anyone else think that when Eddie sings "gale force" it sounds like "Guy Fawkes"? :think:
  • Options
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Interesting that some people love this song so much. I mean, that's cool, but to me it's the only song on the album that I find to be just okay.

Does anyone else think that when Eddie sings "gale force" it sounds like "Guy Fawkes"? :think:

you said the same thing about unthought known. you will come around
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I agree with the original poster, I think Force of Nature is well above average. The way I hear the song, it sounds like trademark Pearl Jam post-Yield. Interesting that the music was written by Mike, because I think he has awesome melodies and chord progressions. Given to Fly, Down, Inside Job, Force of Nature, these are all very energetic, uplifting songs. Ed's lyrics are also great, imagery is deep, reminds me of You Are as far as themes go. The guitar solo that carries the end of the song classic McCready.
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    This is one of my all time favorite Pearl Jam songs ever...I think it's one of their best. I love everything about it, especially the visual I get...it's beautiful.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Kenny Olav wrote:

you said the same thing about unthought known. you will come around

I really doubt it. The greatness of Unthought Known hit me like a ton of bricks one day, but Force of Nature hasn't yet and it should have by now. It's weird. McCready's songs are usually up there with PJ's best.
  • Options
    IndyDaveIndyDave Posts: 252
    Force of Nature is one of my favorites from the album also. I dont know about best song in years but easily top 3 from Backspacer
    Agreed, definitely struck me the first time I heard it and I started imagining how great it could be live. So far I've only heard that very first version they played at LA1 and it was a little shaky-you could definitely tell it was the first time. Looking forward to hearing the version from LA4.
    Still as good as this song is, it doesn't top "Inside Job" for me, which I think is their best song since 'Binaural'.

Indy 2010, Indy 2003, Champaign 2003, Cincy 2000, Indy 2000
    Indy 1998, West Lafayette 1994, Chicago-Lollapalooza 1992
    Cincy-Lollapalooza 1992
    ======================================

I pledge my grievance to the flag.
  • Options
    RoughMixRoughMix back of a lorry Posts: 385
    You are not alone rearviewross.
    While other songs have changed for me, moving up and down the list,Force of Nature from the first listen has been my favourite.
    "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read."
  • Options
    best song on this album....yes

best song in years...depends how you define years.....in 2006 Sad was released on Lost Dogs, and that is one of their best 5 songs ever.....just amazing.
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    Force is incredible. Cool lyrics, cool music, awesome melody and I love the guitar at the end. I think Mike gives a nod to his live playing of It's OK. Can you hear the similarity? Or maybe it's the live Betterman guitar outro?
  • Options
    This is one of my all time favorite Pearl Jam songs ever...I think it's one of their best. I love everything about it, especially the visual I get...it's beautiful.

i like the way you think!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    IndyDave wrote:
    Agreed, definitely struck me the first time I heard it and I started imagining how great it could be live. So far I've only heard that very first version they played at LA1 and it was a little shaky-you could definitely tell it was the first time. Looking forward to hearing the version from LA4.
    Still as good as this song is, it doesn't top "Inside Job" for me, which I think is their best song since 'Binaural'.

yeah inside job is awesome....for the first 45 seconds. POW!
    did celine deon write the lyrics or mike mcready?! let me run into the rain so i can be a human light again....huh?!

the music is pretty awesome though
    chinese-happy.jpg