Options

Most ''fall'' Pearl Jam album?

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited October 2008 in The Porch
Now that it's October the pressing seasonal issues are hitting. So, what's the best Pearl Jam album that says Autumn like no other? Personally No Code comes to mind to fit this description best, however opinions are most welcome. I always found Pearl Jam to write very scenic music so what conveys that... fall/evolution/changing atmosphere best?
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    over_bends wrote:
    fall/evolution/changing atmosphere best?
    One could say that about every change of season.And I don't know which applies to what season , I think every album fits ANY season.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    Avacado has always had a summer feel for me, so has riot act and yeild
    but i think No Code makes me feel like fall...maybe..
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    over_bends wrote:
    Now that it's October the pressing seasonal issues are hitting. So, what's the best Pearl Jam album that says Autumn like no other? Personally No Code comes to mind to fit this description best, however opinions are most welcome. I always found Pearl Jam to write very scenic music so what conveys that... fall/evolution/changing atmosphere best?
    I would say Riot Act.
    dont know why, just thought that when I read "fall/evolution/changing"
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    One could say that about every change of season.And I don't know which applies to what season , I think every album fits ANY season.

Well autumn, along with spring, are transitional seasons more so than summer and winter. Autumn has that connotation of dying and deteriorating which I probably should have mentioned.
    Yield!

• Options
    allstar340 wrote:
    I would say Riot Act.

Definately Riot Act, I agree 100%.
    Oh he fills it up with the love of a girl...
  • Options
    Good question. I'll give you all four seasons

Winter: Riot Act-has that quiet suddle feel to it, much like winter does. Great to listen to on a snow day

Spring: Yield- Don't have a great reason for this one, but lyrically I find it to be PJ's best work and spring is my favorite season so maybe it has something to do with that.

Summer: Ten-Nothing better than rolling the windows down and blasting this one on the way to the beach.

Fall:Binaural-has kind of a rustic, fall feel to it.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    My first Pj show ever was in Cork, Ireland in 96 about a month after No Code came out..it's forever their autumn record for me..12 long years ago...great show..you could hear the rain on the roof in between songs.. ed goes 'we got more songs than the clouds got rain'
    very memorable night:)
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,360
    over_bends wrote:
    Well autumn, along with spring, are transitional seasons more so than summer and winter. Autumn has that connotation of dying and deteriorating which I probably should have mentioned.
    Summer is right up there as far as transition goes lots, blooming all through the season.Agriculture/farming going on. Winter is about waiting.

still can't decide on your question.

But I can say WINTER is WAITING for the new ALBUM!!!!!

GET BUSY BOYS, quit f'n around already.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    allstar340 wrote:
    I would say Riot Act.
    yep i definitely think riot act is a fall album. it's brown, plus cropduster reminds me of fall. i dunno, i think the feel of it is very fally.
    avocado is summer
    no code is spring, it just has an upbeat happy tone to some of the songs
    Vs also sounds like a spring album to me, dunno why..
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    riot act is the fall album
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    I was thinking Vitalogy as nothing says fall to me like Nothingman but then I realized that most of the rest of the album doesn't say any of that at all...
    Yield!

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    over_bends wrote:
    I was thinking Vitalogy as nothing says fall to me like Nothingman but then I realized that most of the rest of the album doesn't say any of that at all...

i think vitalogy is my winter album. hard to say.
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    I think Riot Act is winning.
    Cant Keep,Thumbing My Way, All Or None, Help Help, I Am Mine, and Ghost all remind me somewhat of the fall. The others even do. Plus the cover even reminds me of fall.
    I just envision brown when I listen to the album I guess haha
    great album by the way.
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    IK this isnt an albumn but merkin ball has a fall feel for me. Also no code, cant really explain it though
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Definately Riot Act
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Riot Act!!!!!!!!!!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    am i alone on yield?
  • Options
    Vs. was a Fall album, so that's where I'd start
    the Minions
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    I say Riot Act

I recently have been listening to it alot!

I am finding very great songs I've never heard before!
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I disagree with Yield being more for the spring. I think Yield is better for the fall. Yield is such a good album to drive to, and I always imagine driving down a weavy road with leaves. :D

also Fall: Vitalogy, Riot Act, No Code

Spring: Ten

Winter: Binaural

Summer: Avacado, VS
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I'd say for me it's a toss up between No Code and Yield. However, I will say that on a gorgeous fall afternoon, the studio version of Betterman just makes my day.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I disagree with Yield being more for the spring. I think Yield is better for the fall. Yield is such a good album to drive to, and I always imagine driving down a weavy road with leaves. :D

also Fall: Vitalogy, Riot Act, No Code

Spring: Ten

Winter: Binaural

Summer: Avacado, VS

This is exactly how I pictured it
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    I would have to say riot act, maybe because i hadnt listened to it in forever until i had a sudden random urge right at the beginning of fall.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    am i alone on yield?

you win this thread. i'm shocked nobody else agrees.
  • Options
    silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    I think No Code is a fall album.....

Riot Act is more of a winter album for me. I think because I saw them in Seattle in December 2002 and that was the 1st time I heard those songs live so I always feel winter when I hear it......
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Riot Act. without a doubt.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    My first thought was also No Code. BUT...is it because I bought it the day it came out (August 27th) and just have memories of it from fall semester of my junior year in college and my first show on 10/2/96?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    For me:

Spring - Yield + Vs.

Summer - Avocado + Ten

Autumn - No Code, Riot Act + Vitalogy

Winter - Binaural + Into The Wild
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.