Options

Why does getting tickets take a few hours?

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited March 2008 in The Porch
I keep hearing people say this, but I have no idea what they really mean by it. I've never gotten 10c tickets before and am completely dumbfounded by this statement. How can obtaining tickets to a show take hours? Either you have them or you don't, no?
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    over_bends wrote:
    I keep hearing people say this, but I have no idea what they really mean by it. I've never gotten 10c tickets before and am completely dumbfounded by this statement. How can obtaining tickets to a show take hours? Either you have them or you don't, no?
    the board will crash....as it ALWAYS DOES!!!

and you will spend HOURS trying to get your tickets....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    over_bends wrote:

2 words

shitty server
  • Options
    the board will crash....as it ALWAYS DOES!!!

and you will spend HOURS trying to get your tickets....

But won't they like sell out in less than a minute? I'm still not getting it.
    Yield!

• Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    over_bends wrote:
    even if you buy them quick, depending on the venue, you may end up standing in line for a couple of hours....
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    let's hope the way they spread them out this time solves most of the problem.
  • Options
    So it's not a definite that it will take hours? If the server really does crash then shouldn't you lose your tickets?

This is so fucking stressful. They should teach a course on it.
    Yield!

• Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i had a terrible time before, i believe i had comcast but my computer was old.
    now i have a newer computer but not sure i'll be available when they go on sale.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    over_bends wrote:

you are fucked
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    you are fucked

Basically.
    Yield!

• Options
    some people are pretty stupid too...

the same people who bitch about not getting their tickets probably still use a dial up connection...tour after tour

i've only had the site crash on me using a slow piece of shit computer with a terrible connection.

i'm sure their site does have something to do with respect to the amount of traffic coming across with servers and what not, but i really never have any trouble...

*knocks on wood

??????????? wow. that is all I can say. I do not have dial up - I have used my work PC and my home PC which I have Verizon FIOS - superfast connection. you have no clue just how fortunate you are....
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    I certainly don't have dialup and EV tickets did absolutely take two hours...here's the general scenario:

1. you prelogin 5 mins before they go up;
    2. you refresh madly every 2.2 seconds until the glorious little ticket icons appear on the right hand side of the page
    3. you select your show and click the "Buy" button (you begin to wonder what people around here are complaining about and assume the 10c has made modifications to the system)
    4. you IMMEDIATELY click checkout (don't dick around, you've only got about 13 seconds here before the thing is crashing)
    5. you confirm billing and shipping address
    6. you enter your ccard number
    7. the system crashes and spits out an error message
    8. you panic, but you are somehow comforted in the knowledge that "it must have crashed for everyone else too"
    9. in the process of continuing to refresh every 2.2 seconds, you somehow logon to the Pit and see numerous threads from members proclaiming "GOT EM'"
    10. you panic again, refreshing now at a rate of every 1.4 seconds
    11. the titles in the Pit threads now read "WHAT THE FUCK", "IT TOOK MY CCARD NUMBERS, AM I GOOD", "ARE THEY STILL IN MY CART", "CRAshed?!@, GUYS, IF IT CHARGED YOUR CARD YOU'RE FINE"
    12. you call your credit card company and you see the charge has been put through...phew...only then you check the Pit again, thread titles now read , "FUCK, KAT SAYS UNLESS IT'S IN YOUR PROFILE, YOU'RE FUCKED"
    13. you try to check your Profile only you can't
    14. Refreshing now greets you with a database error
    15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    17. 1/2 of the site now loads, the rest has an XML:a adnasfjsjjsdfjksd ERROR
    18. Site loads, your Profile shows nothing, there is NOTHING IN YOUR CART
    19. Site crashes
    20. Tickets are there, but they say "TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK"
    21. You continue to refresh every .9 seconds in hopes of seeing the BUY button
    22. You check the Pit, the thread titles now read "Temporarily Out of Stock GUYS, THERE ARE STILL TICKETS IN CARTS" (wtf?! why did they pop out of my fucking cart!)
    23. In your mad fit of refreshing, you miss the BUY button ("it was FUCKING there!!!!")
    24. You see the BUY button and click it! You heart soars, the next page loads and "your selection cannot be completed because the item is temporarily out of stock" you heart sinks
    25. After 117 mins of refreshing the tickets are "OUT OF STOCK"
    26. You spend the next 2 hours reading threads about how "simple" it was for some people wondering if you have "dial-up or something"

and that my friend, is how you spend 2 hours trying to get tickets that sell out in 30 seconds.

But hey, they could have fixed all that...isn't that what the poster sales were supposed to test ;) GOOD LUCK. You'll need it.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    over_bends wrote:
    So it's not a definite that it will take hours? If the server really does crash then shouldn't you lose your tickets?

This is so fucking stressful. They should teach a course on it.

The problem is you will get a "temporarily out of stock" message, which means essentially: "keep trying for a few hours". Hopefully this time they will have solved the issue of charging credit cards everytime someone refreshes.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    mjb wrote:
    I certainly don't have dialup and EV tickets did absolutely take two hours...here's the general scenario:

2. you refresh madly every 2.2 seconds until the glorious little ticket icons appear on the right hand side of the page
    3. you select your show and click the "Buy" button
    4. you IMMEDIATELY click checkout (don't dick around, you've only got about 13 seconds here before the thing is crashing)
    8. you panic, but you are somehow comforted in the knowledge that "it must have crashed for everyone else too"
    9. in the process of continuing to refresh every 2.2 seconds, you somehow logon to the Pit and see numerous threads from members proclaiming "GOT EM'"
    11. the titles in the Pit threads now read "WHAT THE FUCK", "IT TOOK MY CCARD NUMBERS, AM I GOOD", "ARE THEY STILL IN MY CART", "CRAshed?!@, GUYS, IF IT CHARGED YOUR CARD YOU'RE FINE"
    12. you call your credit card company and you see the charge has been put through...phew...only then you check the Pit again, thread titles now read , "FUCK, KAT SAYS UNLESS IT'S IN YOUR PROFILE, YOU'RE FUCKED"
    15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes
    22. You check the Pit, the thread titles now read "Temporarily Out of Stock GUYS, THERE ARE STILL TICKETS IN CARTS" (wtf?! why did they pop out of my fucking cart!)
    23. In your mad fit of refreshing, you miss the BUY button ("it was FUCKING there!!!!")
    24. You see the BUY button and click it! You heart soars, the next page loads and "your selection cannot be completed because the item is temporarily out of stock" you heart sinks
    26. You spend the next 2 hours reading threads about how "simple" it was for some people wondering if you have "dial-up or something"

and that my friend, is how you spend 2 hours trying to get tickets that sell out in 30 seconds.

But hey, they could have fixed all that...isn't that what the poster sales were supposed to test ;) GOOD LUCK. You'll need it.

right
    on
    the
    money

This happened to me for Cleveland tickets and vic tickets. In the end, I didn't get either.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    mjb wrote:

3. you select your show and click the "Buy" button
    15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes

I really try to never be negative on this board, but this is actually a fairly accurate description of what happens. Unfortunate.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    the site will crash. you will see. the friggin message board crashed yesterday and the day before for a friggin news announcemet
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    mjb wrote:

3. you select your show and click the "Buy" button (you begin to wonder what people around here are complaining about and assume the 10c has made modifications to the system)
    15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes

Cryptic yes, but also extremely helpful! Thank you.
    Yield!

• Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    mjb nailed it to a t. i got ev berkeley tix at 11:40. 1.6 hours after trying and trying and trying...but it will be different this time....yeah right
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    MellowCatMellowCat Posts: 38
    The problem will not be solved. Ticket sales on line is a crappy method and I can't believe we are put thru the bullshit over and over. You will more than likely need to take the day off work to get the tickets; white knuckling all the while with your ass pinched tighter than Joan Rivers' face. It's harrowing.

Sorry, the glass is half empty for me today.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    it is frustrating.

i remember for night 1 of chicago 06 i tried like hell to get them and started yelling angrily at the computer when it said ididnt get them.

and then again for milwaukee night 2...it wouldnt' show up in my profile even though i had a recepit and such. reallly stressful.

for the vic, i know i was extremely fortunate, but it was stressful.

i entered my CC info, clicked "confirm purchase" only to have it crash. took me anohter 5 minutes of hitting refresh just to check my profile and fortunately, they were in there.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    mjb wrote:

15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes

I laughed my ass off reading this. However I crash when refreshing and never even get to the BUY part - I saw BUY after 2 hours of trying for Ed solo tix - luckily I got them so I will not complain.
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    mjb wrote:

15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes

Classic !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    mjb wrote:

15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes

Classic !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    My Corduroy JacketMy Corduroy Jacket Austin, TX Posts: 571
    The most accurate description i have ever seen.
    Austin, TX
  • Options
    KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    mjb is right on! And I am not into whining either most of the time, this is just the truth.
    You forgot to mention the physical inconveniences though ;) (like not being able to go to the bathroom, get a drink, PAIN in your F5 finger......)
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    when we login where do we go to wait? goods? what?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    when we login where do we go to wait? goods? what?

You have to login in the Goods section - there you can see your 10c number, when you are paid up until, etc. (useful if you forget) - on the left there is a TICKETS section. In past experience, the tickets will show up in every category though...you'll just sit there in the goods and refresh. You should test your login now and make sure you don't get any cookie errors, etc. You should also make sure your shipping and billing address and stuff are good to go.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I also suggest having the cordless phone beside you.
    The 10C phone number in Seattle.
    The CC companys phone number.
    Your wallet.
    A drink.
    Something to snack on.
    Your dogs are fed and have been let out.
    Your children are taken care of.
    Cigarettes (even for those who dont smoke).
    And use the bathroom before loggin in.

You will also need a blanket for the chills and a fan for the overheating.
    Tissues might be important for the tears.
    Or even for cleaning up your pop when you knock it over while reaching for the phone/wallet/cigarettes.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    genevieve wrote:
    I also suggest having the cordless phone beside you.
    The 10C phone number in Seattle.
    The CC companys phone number.
    Your wallet.
    A drink.
    Something to snack on.
    Your dogs are fed and have been let out.
    Your children are taken care of.
    Cigarettes (even for those who dont smoke).
    And use the bathroom before loggin in.

You will also need a blanket for the chills and a fan for the overheating.
    Tissues might be important for the tears.
    Or even for cleaning up your pop when you knock it over while reaching for the phone/wallet/cigarettes.

hmm why the phone and 10c number?
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    mjb wrote:

15. The Pit is down
    16. The Pit is back
    19. Site crashes

OMG!!!!!! This is so fucking true!!! YOU NAILED IT!
    I have my Vancouver tickets thank God though Ticketmaster.. but your description was right on!

But also we gotta remember that the venues Ed is playing at are WAY smaller than the June shows so it'll be little easier... dont know how easy MSG will be though... Needless to say Good luck to everyone!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    hmm why the phone and 10c number?

to call them relentlessly to tell them "BUT MY TICKETS WERE IN MY CART!!!! howcome my credit card is already charged?????"

:D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV