Options

Hey those of you who went to a few eV solo shows out West!

over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Was it worth following these shows around considering the similar setlists? Is it really a seen one seen them all type thing or each show was special? I'm pretty much expecting the answer from those people to be the latter, but I'd still like to hear some thoughts.
Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    just based on listening to all the boots... PLEASE only attend one show and save tickets for others! these venues are tiny and the demand is huge! i know people wanna see as much ed as possible but theres no point in seeing the same thing over and over when others wanna see it for the first time... ya know? just IMO
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    it depends....if you love listening to live music in an intimate setting go to as many shows as you want....i went to 3 and each was different for many reasons....:)

if you go to shows to count how many different songs you heard, well i don't know what to tell ya cuz i find that to be incredibly pointless......but that's me....i don't consider concert going a fucking competition....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i went to LA from NY for the EV shows, and yes, it was completly worth it... had a great time... excellent weekend... and the shows rocked... now i get to see him again in my home state...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    it depends....if you love listening to live music in an intimate setting go to as many shows as you want....i went to 3 and each was different for many reasons....:)
    generally id agree... but dont you think given how few tickets there are people should share the wealth? no matter how sincere your desire and intentions to see EVERY shows theres no reason to hog

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    ugh, I think you already know how I feel on this.
    I wish I would have just went to one show.
    I'm hoping I get tickets to Milwaukee... and chicago is so easy to do, I'll probably go to chicago and hang out, but not see any show... unless there is someone good playing besides Ed Ved...
    He needs to switch it up more this tour, hopefully he will since he was just trouing with PJ... MORE PJ SONGS!!!!! Less Into the Wild/Millworker...
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    i saw 3 shows, and they were awesome...that said, 2 is probably good and definitely go to the smallest venues you can! Setlists were very similar each night, especially the first 10 songs or so. Liam Finn was excellent, by the way--a great double-header!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    First off don't assume your going to get a ticket. These venues are tiny and tickets will go in a matter of seconds. Don't be shocked when there are no seats left a minute after they go on sale. I had to get a pair off eBay for Berkeley 1. It costs me around $200 for the pair but it was worth it. Unique show with songs that you'll likely never hear outside of this type of solo tour.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    The setlist doesn't change a whole lot every night, right? So it's not really important to catch multiple nights? I'd be able to get to both New York shows and the Newark show, but is it worth the money?
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    sgossard3 wrote:
    generally id agree... but dont you think given how few tickets there are people should share the wealth? no matter how sincere your desire and intentions to see EVERY shows theres no reason to hog
    As was previously mentioned, I think that every show has something unique - independent of its setlist. I'll be trying for the two shows in Toronto.. my favourite singer in my favourite venue, no matter what he chooses to sing :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    sgossard3 wrote:

With the way the world works, the guy giving up his 2nd show for the guy who wants to get to his first will probably be giving up a ticket to the guy going to his 10th show of the tour.

I mean, the intentions are good, but if I'm the only one who is going to follow it, then it's really not worth it if I really do want to go to a second or third show. That may sound selfish, but I don't think it's so horrible to try and go to the shows if you want to.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    sgossard3 wrote:

i agree....but people can do what they like.....if they can make a lot of shows then so be it....buying tix thinking you might go and then backing out is stupid...if you're not sure if you can go when the tix go on sale, then wait until you are sure....there were plenty of tix available as the shows approached (ev and pj tours)
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    The setlist doesn't change a whole lot every night, right? So it's not really important to catch multiple nights? I'd be able to get to both New York shows and the Newark show, but is it worth the money?
    id just go to one of the NY shows if i were you... are all the 10C tix going on sale at the same time? what if i try for one of the 2 chicagos with no luck and then dont get a chance to try for the second or milwaukee?

• Options
    over_bends wrote:
    With the way the world works, the guy giving up his 2nd show for the guy who wants to get to his first will probably be giving up a ticket to the guy going to his 10th show of the tour.

I mean, the intentions are good, but if I'm the only one who is going to follow it, then it's really not worth it if I really do want to go to a second or third show. That may sound selfish, but I don't think it's so horrible to try and go to the shows if you want to.
    You nailed it. Acting on good intentions only makes a difference if everyone shares your good intentions and acts on them too. And if everyone shares and acts on them, you end up with a tour which no one has bought tickets to :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    sgossard3 wrote:
    id just go to one of the NY shows if i were you... are all the 10C tix going on sale at the same time? what if i try for one of the 2 chicagos with no luck and then dont get a chance to try for the second or milwaukee?

They go on sale in groups. Since Chicago and Milwaukee are in the same group, they both go on pre-sale on the 9th.

Aug-01 Boston, MA Opera House Jul-07 at 9am PDT
    Aug-02 Boston, MA Opera House Jul-07 at 11am PDT
    Aug-04 New York, NY United Palace Theatre Jul-07 at 1pm PDT
    Aug-05 New York, NY United Palace Theatre Jul-07 at 2pm PDT
    Aug-07 Newark, NJ NJ Performing Arts Ctr Jul-07 at 3pm PDT
    Aug-09 Montreal, QC Salle Wilfrid Place Jul-08 at 9am PDT
    Aug-10 Montreal, QC Salle Wilfrid Place Jul-08 at 11am PDT
    Aug-12 Toronto, ON Massey Hall Jul-08 at 1pm PDT
    Aug-13 Toronto, ON Massey Hall Jul-08 at 3pm PDT
    Aug-16 Washington, DC Warner Theatre Jul-09 at 9am PDT
    Aug-17 Washington, DC Warner Theatre Jul-09 at 11am PDT
    Aug-19 Milwaukee, WI Riverside Theatre Jul-09 at 1pm PDT
    Aug-21 Chicago, IL Auditorium Theatre Jul-09 at 2pm PDT
    Aug-22 Chicago Auditorium Theatre Jul-09 at 3pm PDT

EDIT: Oh but they're an hour apart. 1pm, 2pm, 3pm. Lucky.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    pjtaper wrote:
    ugh, I think you already know how I feel on this.
    I wish I would have just went to one show.
    I'm hoping I get tickets to Milwaukee... and chicago is so easy to do, I'll probably go to chicago and hang out, but not see any show... unless there is someone good playing besides Ed Ved...
    He needs to switch it up more this tour, hopefully he will since he was just trouing with PJ... MORE PJ SONGS!!!!! Less Into the Wild/Millworker...

Go see Pearl Jam to hear Pearl Jam songs. It makes no sense to me to go see Eddie Vedder solo to hear Pearl Jam songs. I would have NO interest in that. I would prefer hearing no Pearl Jam songs at Ed's solo shows. If he plays them, fine, but I'm not going to raise a ruckus either way like some folks.

Ed just played Daughter by himself (YEAHHHHH!!!!).
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    It's not selfish. Everyone has the same chance to get tickets. Sorry, sgossard3, but I respectfully disagree with you.

That being said, I went to Santa Cruz and the first Berkeley show. I loved the SC show, but wasn't a huge fan of the Berkeley show for reasons already pointed out, very similiar setlist. I don't see concerts as a competition as cutback said, but I don't need to see the same show twice. I was glad that I didn't go to Berkeley 2 until I heard McCready showed up.

To sum up, if you are cool with similiar setlists then you will enjoy it. People are right that you get different things at shows like guests, etc. If I could do it again I would have gone to Berkeley 2 instead of Berkeley 1.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    I went to 6 EV shows out west.

I'm planning on 6 or 7 for leg 2.
    tacos
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    it's well worth it. did santa barbara & los angeles 1 coming from halifax, ns. think i'm gonna shot for the 2 toronto show's. haven't been to that theatre before. should be an amazing ride! :)
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    it's well worth it. did santa barbara & los angeles 1 coming from halifax, ns. think i'm gonna shot for the 2 toronto show's. haven't been to that theatre before. should be an amazing ride! :)
    You're in for a treat. Massey Hall has incredible sound, along with a huge amount of history. Dylan gave his first electric performance there many years ago.

EV
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    cutback wrote:

if you go to shows to count how many different songs you heard, well i don't know what to tell ya cuz i find that to be incredibly pointless......but that's me....i don't consider concert going a fucking competition....:rolleyes:

+1
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ed's banter/vibe was radically different at every show....
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    I went to the 2 LA shows. 1 was enough but 2 didn't feel like over kill.

Just prepare for the most obnoxious crowds of your life--don't expect a nice intimate laid back show.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just based on listening to all the boots... PLEASE only attend one show and save tickets for others! these venues are tiny and the demand is huge! i know people wanna see as much ed as possible but theres no point in seeing the same thing over and over when others wanna see it for the first time... ya know? just IMO

i can dig this, unless its the 2 shows in one city thing, save some love for others.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I went to 4 of the Southern California shows... and liked them all.
    But, you could pretty much do with hitting just one. sure, you might miss out on a special guest, but the likelihood of getting a special guest is rare.
    I really enjoyed the different people I hung out with at each of the different gigs.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Ed's banter/vibe was radically different at every show....

This is true.
  • Options
    Just prepare for the most obnoxious crowds of your life--don't expect a nice intimate laid back show.

This is also true.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Went to 3 - loved them...that said, 1 would have been enough. By night 3, I actually was a little tired of the middle of the set and looking forward to getting into the small "faster" songs he was closing out the sets with (Porch, Lukin, etc.) - no one REALLY needs to hear "Broken Hearted" on the uke 3 out of 4 nights. That said, T.O. is a hometown show for me. If I am lucky enough to pull tickets on both nights, I don't think I'll be able to resist.
  • Options
    yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    I was fortunate enough to have seen 2 Ed shows (Thanks *DAWN*!!!) I feel I could have lived with just the one show. I would let others have a turn at seeing Ed...
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    For me, 2 shows was the perfect amount. Back to back, so that you see as much setlist variation as possible.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    Yeah, Ed's banter and mood is different for each show, but I think one show would leave most people satisfied. I went to both SD shows and was more 'wowed' by the first one because it was so different. By the 2nd, it was like 'oh yeah, he sings this song well'.

For those hoping to hear alot of PJ songs- don't count on it.

And I think I'm as excited to see Liam again as I am Ed! Don't miss him!!
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.