Options

Why do people think wearing a t-shirt of the band you are seeing is a no-no?

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
edited January 2008 in The Porch
From time to time I see people ripping on fans who wear attire of the band they are going to see. It was on some top ten list I read on some website(maybe Rollingstone.com which says it all) that wearing a t-shirt of the band that is performing is a fopaw(not sure how to spell this word)

personally if I love a band I want them to know it I'm wearing that t-shirt. I don't think of it as being a mark anymore than being on messgae pit, in the fan club etc.

what do you all think?

I vote wearing a PJ shirt to a PJ concert is the right thing to do by golly!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    From time to time I see people ripping on fans who wear attire of the band they are going to see. It was on some top ten list I read on some website(maybe Rollingstone.com which says it all) that wearing a t-shirt of the band that is performing is a fopaw(not sure how to spell this word)

personally if I love a band I want them to know it I'm wearing that t-shirt. I don't think of it as being a mark anymore than being on messgae pit, in the fan club etc.

what do you all think?

I'm a person...and I think it's fine. Then again...I also seem to walk to the beat of my own drum.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    hrd2imgn wrote:

what do you all think?

It's one of the things I enjoy about the day of a concert. Going to different cities and recognizing pj fans by their shirts.

I vote yes for concert shirts.
  • Options
    seems to me that pearl jam fans love to wear their pj attire at shows :)

i loved seeing the huge variety of pearl jam shirts at lolla this past summer.
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
    I really think its only cheesy if its a shirt from that tour. If for instance, I was to go to a show now with a shirt from the Ten tour, thats not cheesy, thats just letting others know your there for the tunes, and not a poser.
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options
    seems to me that pearl jam fans love to wear their pj attire at shows :)

i loved seeing the huge variety of pearl jam shirts at lolla this past summer.

yeah that was cool at Lolla. I saw a lot of cool shirts.

I think it's a cool thing to wear shirts of the band at shows like PJ and REM--which are bands with huge cult fan bases. I think younger people now (like my friends) think that it's a faux pas because they don't do it. They're not as dedicated to any band like we are of PJ.
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Mike McCready even wore a Pearl Jam shirt on stage.... That's gotta make it okay ;) I wonder which band member is his favourite? :eek:
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,289
    hrd2imgn wrote:

what do you all think?

faux pas
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I myself also love going to a city and seeing all these pearl jam shirts.
    Yet i cant bring myself to wear one to a show... so got me! I think either way is just fine and dandy
  • Options
    It's one of the things I enjoy about the day of a concert. Going to different cities and recognizing pj fans by their shirts.

I vote yes for concert shirts.

thats always has been my logic for any concert. i usually show up early and walk around and stuff.
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:

what do you all think?

There was a movie called PCU - check it out. Not a bad flick, but so far as I know, that's the origin of the faux pas.
    Jeremy Piven as Droz addressing John Favreau as Gutter: What's this? You're wearing the shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Well, I wear PJ shirts most places...and that includes gigs. Especially PJ gigs...and most other ones aswell. :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    In my opinion people who think wearing a t-shirt of the band you are seeing is faux pas have their heads way up their asses. You guys care way too much. Go back to your parent's basement.

Wearing a t shirt is A Ok with me.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    igotid88 wrote:
    faux pas
    was this just how to spell it(thanks my French le sucks) or a statement it is a no-no? Both?
  • Options
    I'd feel naked if I went to a PJ show without a PJ shirt. The older, the better, in my opinion, but regardless--it's support for the band.

When I met Matt (at a coffee shop in Seattle), he was wearing a PJ jacket. That says it all.
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Since '91 wrote:
    I'd feel naked if I went to a PJ show without a PJ shirt. The older, the better, in my opinion, but regardless--it's support for the band.

When I met Matt (at a coffee shop in Seattle), he was wearing a PJ jacket. That says it all.
    Was that before or after he joined the band?
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a bands shirt at their concerts! I just never have.
    I just don't wear one at a band's concert because I most of the time find myself buying one and putting it on over.
    I love hittin a PJ concert and seeing everyone with their PJ shirts on....even if I'm not wearing it!
  • Options
    The only band shirts I see as being "stupid" to wear to a bands show are those $5 shirts the bums are selling in the parking lots. I see so many wanna-be red necks wearing this crap at every show. "hey dude I spent $5 off some pretzel vendor in the parking lot for my outfit!".

Usually these shirts are like neon colors and have half the tour printed on the back with an old, random picture of the band. Hate that crap :P
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I find people who say that usually don't go to a lot of concerts.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    It depends on the show for me and how into the band I am. I usually always wear a pj shirt to their show and I usually wear a Toadies shirt to their shows as well as a Burden Brothers shirt to their shows. The shirt is usually a great conversation starter too I've found. I usually don't buy shirts anymore if the band charges 40 bucks for a shirt, I understand why they do it, but 40 bucks for a shirt that is gonna get holes in it and faded after many washes, it's better to get something more worthwhile as far as souvenir
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    I only buy PJ tour t's not ones from the net or shops etc
    I see them as badges of honour, for my fellow jammers to recognise Im one of the family and not just a visitor.
    I will buy a shirt from the merch stand but wont wear it till im going home, usually allthe others are soaked through by then
    ( i like to wear a short sleever over a long sleever and strip off as I get hotter during the show)
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    its bullshit. Wear what u want
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    rudiger10 wrote:
    I really think its only cheesy if its a shirt from that tour.

Yeah.

That and I think it is cheesy to wear a "generic" Pearl Jam shirt to a show, like one that is not from a previous tour or specific show.

I have only worn a Pearl Jam shirt to one Pearl Jam show. I wore the Boston 04 "Free the West Memphis Three" shirt to the Reading show a few days later. I felt that was ok.
  • Options
    Was that before or after he joined the band?

It was 2006.
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    I feel it's absolutely ok to wear a PJ shirt to a show or everywhere else I want to. I like Pear Jam shirts because they are like a piece of art to me and yet somehow discreet - they don't scream "I'm a fan" at first sight.
    But, at my age (41) I would wear a Rolling Stones shirt with a really big tongue at one of their shows only.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    ok I think the idea is that if you are at the show you're clearly a fan and wearing the shirt is redundent. Like if I'm at a PJ show I'd wear another tour shirt from someone else that implies "I like Pearl Jam but also all this other stuff", my friend has a rule that you're suppossed to wear a shirt of band that is more obscure than the one you're seeing. why? because it means you're cooler or something I don't know.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    vital5 wrote:
    Mike McCready even wore a Pearl Jam shirt on stage.... That's gotta make it okay ;) I wonder which band member is his favourite? :eek:

thats a smart man right there!!! cuz afterall, he IS the Master!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    audiodave wrote:
    Well, I wear PJ shirts most places...and that includes gigs. Especially PJ gigs...and most other ones aswell. :D
    same here...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    I'm the guy wearing a PJ hat, and shirt and the socks. Dont forget the dog tags. I carry my posters in my gym bag as well.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    I'm the guy wearing a PJ hat, and shirt and the socks. Dont forget the dog tags. I carry my posters in my gym bag as well.

do u have the limited edition avocado sunglasses too?
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    i prefer to wear band t-shirts of a band other than the one im seeing... everyone in the audience already knows i like the band im seeing because im seeing them, but maybe a different band can be a conversation starter or make me stick out in a positive way... dont really have anything against those that wear PJ shirts to PJ tho... older is cooler tho in my book as has been mentioned already
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/