Cheese Steak Recommendation??

Comments

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    jimed14 wrote:
    my reccomendation ... use the search function ... you had to know this was discussed before ...

Nice big long thread about it here ... http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... eese+steak

enjoy!

honestly, if they dont want to read a thread that has
    already been posted, just dont fucking respond
  • GO TO JOHN'S ROAST PORK. If you can get there before 2:30 (Grill shuts off @ 2:30), do yourself a favor and go to John's Roast Pork. Voted best in city, it is. Really.

If not, go to Tony Lukes. And don't be afraid to get a Chicken Cutlet Italian. (Sharp Provolone, broccolirabe, longhots, chicken cutlet).

STAY AWAY FROM PAT'S AND GENO'S, unless it is after the show, and you are desperate.

1. John's Roast Pork (Before 2:30p)
    2. Tony Lukes *Don't be scared to NOT get a cheesesteak.
    "It's as comfortable as can be. But when you're on stage playing with Neil, well -- it's one thing to be at the zoo and watch an animal pace around its cage. It's another to be in the cage with him." -Eddie Vedder
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jimed14 wrote:
    my reccomendation ... use the search function ... you had to know this was discussed before ...

Nice big long thread about it here ... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=106818&start=135&hilit=cheese+steak

enjoy!

honestly, if they dont want to read a thread that has
    already been posted, just dont fucking respond

you're welcome. :roll:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    I just mapquest and The Spectrum, Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork are pretty close to each other. Happy Times!
  • EvolverEvolver Posts: 525
    Reading Market Terminal on 51st and 12th has pretty good cheese steaks.
    You are referring to Spataro's, which is a very popular spot. I work in the building next door, stop in there often for food. 8-)
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,446
    Any of these places interested in donating some cheese steaks to the preparty? Say a dozen or so. That would be mmm mmm good! :mrgreen:
  • klem62klem62 Posts: 26
    Jim`s on South St. down near 2nd is always good, I love the constant smell of fried onions! It sticks to your clothes like glue! Tony Luke`s on Oregon Ave down under I-95 is excellent, get the roast pork with the sharp provolone with broccoli rabe, a feast for your tastebuds. ALWAYS be ready when it`s your time to order!!!!!! The time to gawk at the menu is BEFORE you get to the front of the line, these places are always busy! "Whaddya a friggin` tourist? Next!!!" Philly hospitality at its best! If you make it to Pat`s or Geno`s, and you`re tryn` to kill some time, take a walk down 9th St. through the Italian Market. It`s like you`re walking through the set of "Rocky". Small shops, guys selling nuts and fruit out of sidewalk stands, the scene where Stallone runs through the neighborhoods was filmed there, its classic.
    "You`re finally here and I`m a mess"
    Even though he was a Tea Party Racist, he made a mean sandwich. RIP Joey Vento owner of Geno's Steaks

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08 ... ak-legend/
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    When I travel to Philly next month, where should I try my 1st CS? I've heard of Pat's and Geno's but on a recent episode of Man v Food, he ate at Tony Luke's. Your thoughts?
    Pat's and Geno's are both the most vile, disgusting, horseshit excuse for a sandwich, I have ever experienced. You can walk in to your local 7-11 and get a better sandwich. And we both realize 7-11 sucks monkey balls. Pat's and Geno's are both just pure fucking garbage on bread.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    That's probably true bc when i went to philly, i had tony luke's. however, pats and genos are institutions there...werent they the originals?
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    Davidtrios wrote:
    When I travel to Philly next month, where should I try my 1st CS? I've heard of Pat's and Geno's but on a recent episode of Man v Food, he ate at Tony Luke's. Your thoughts?
    Pat's and Geno's are both the most vile, disgusting, horseshit excuse for a sandwich, I have ever experienced. You can walk in to your local 7-11 and get a better sandwich. And we both realize 7-11 sucks monkey balls. Pat's and Geno's are both just pure fucking garbage on bread.

oh my dear gosh! There's this great place in Milwaukee here that has awesome cheesesteaks! I have to go there every once in awhile to get my fix of a good cheesesteak. Kind of reminds me of being in Philly and living on the east coast. But nothing tops my homemade ones. If I have to say so myself...they are pretty kickass.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    That's probably true bc when i went to philly, i had tony luke's. however, pats and genos are institutions there...werent they the originals?

I believe so. Never had Tony Luke's. How was it?
  • Davidtrios wrote:
    Pat's and Geno's are just pure garbage.
    They are just tasteless garbage.

I have had a better sandwich from a cooler in a truckstop.
    Davidtrios wrote:

tell us how you really feel about it speedy. :lol:
  • daneski70daneski70 Posts: 235
    Hey Sheila, are you talking about this place on South 2nd? This place is awesome! I guess the guy who owns it, used to work in Philly at either Pat's or Gino's for a long time. Apparently he has his rolls flown in daily from Philly.

l.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

no kidding, maybe I should swing by Philly to get him a few on the way next week? ;)
    daneski70 wrote:
    Hey Sheila, are you talking about this place on South 2nd? This place is awesome! I guess the guy who owns it, used to work in Philly at either Pat's or Gino's for a long time. Apparently he has his rolls flown in daily from Philly.

l.jpg

that's the place! I LOVE IT THERE!!! Reminds me of home. And to have a real hoagie roll is priceless there. :mrgreen:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:

no kidding, maybe I should swing by Philly to get him a few on the way next week? ;)

You can stop and get me one! :mrgreen: I am so craving east coast food right now.
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

TL's Cheesesteak was a really good sandwich. I kind of regret not getting the Roast Pork Sandwich. I hear that's what they're really known for.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    sheila0225 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

TL's Cheesesteak was a really good sandwich. I kind of regret not getting the Roast Pork Sandwich. I hear that's what they're really known for.
    good to know. When I go back east I'll have to try it. :mrgreen:
  • sheila0225 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

The cheesesteak sandwich I had at the venue in Philly.....
    Was 5x the sandwich.....

And that was a sandwich from the fucking venue....

Pat's and Geno's are jut crap on a bun.
    sheila0225 wrote:

The cheesesteak sandwich I had at the venue in Philly.....
    Was 5x the sandwich.....

And that was a sandwich from the fucking venue....

Pat's and Geno's are jut crap on a bun.

I should take you to the place here and see how you like those.
  • eladdereladder Posts: 414
    Pats and genos are better than jims and better than most. Makes me laugh reading anti pats genos like they are ticket master or creed. My fav is steves. Im from Philly and have had em all and steves is best. Problem is it's not right downtown. It's northeast Philly but well worth it.
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Even though he was a Tea Party Racist, he made a mean sandwich. RIP Joey Vento owner of Geno's Steaks

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08 ... ak-legend/
    why, because he said speak english when you order? i like it. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • sheila0225 wrote:

I realize there are places in Philly, that sell a mouth watering, holy fuck delicious, cheesesteak sandwich.

Pat's and Geno's are neither of those places.
    speedy is full of shit. love me some pats. :lol:

have any of you chicago people been to the place on belmont just east of the red line? it's suppose to be the most authentic place in the city.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    sheila0225 wrote:

I realize there are places in Philly, that sell a mouth watering, holy fuck delicious, cheesesteak sandwich.

Pat's and Geno's are neither of those places.

I've had both as well as some others in Philly. I actually thought Geno's was not bad...greasy as hell. It is what it is and it taste great late at night. ;)

What I would love to do would be to sit down with a Geno's and Pat's cheesesteak and watch a video of the PJ 2006 Cincy concert with Speedy. Good times.
    hippiemom = goodness
    81 wrote:

have any of you chicago people been to the place on belmont just east of the red line? it's suppose to be the most authentic place in the city.

what's the name of it? I'll have to try it when I go to Chicago again.
    sheila0225 wrote:
    81 wrote:

what's the name of it? I'll have to try it when I go to Chicago again.

PHILLYS BEST

907 West Belmont Avenue, Chicago, IL
    (773) 525-7900 () ‎ · phillysbest.com

they seem to be getting mixed reviews
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    funny thing, I leave near Philly, have been there plenty of times and have never got a cheeseteak from any of those famous places. best one I have have recently was at Big Bertha's, the small food stand at Pagoda Golf, a driving range/miniature golf place that is near us just outside of Reading.