Hey PJ, come back to Long Island and erase the '03 ugliness

orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Remember Nassau, 2003? The Bushleaguer incident? Incredible concert transformed into hatefest staring Pearl Jam vs. testy Long Islanders.

I always thought that that show was one of their all-time best, until the ugliness destroyed the love.

Come back to Long Island, Pearl Jam. We owe each other an apology. Make 2010 the year of mutual redemption!

Also, I'd love to see a New York Islanders themed tour shirt!
Jam out with your clam out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yea it would be nice to have them back, but I could do without an Islanders shirt. the only thing worse would be a mets shirt
    Hartford '06 Camden '06 East Rutherford '06
    Madrid '07 Munich '07 London '07
    Camden '08 MSG I '08 MSG II '08 Hartford '08 Mansfield '08
    Philly II '09 Philly III '09 Philly IV '09
    Hartford '10 MSG I '10 MSG II '10
    Made in America Fest Philly '12
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    That show was intense, and I understand LI pride(for better or for worse) :lol:

BUT

We have no real Venues, Jones Beach sux for alot of reasons and the coliseum is a mess

LIRR to Penn will take us to the promised land in 2010
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    edited September 2009
    zwk51 wrote:
    Yea it would be nice to have them back, but I could do without an Islanders shirt. the only thing worse would be a mets shirt

c'mon check out this logo ... it's screamin for a PJ over the island.

[imghttp://www.sportsbuy.com/New/teamPages/images/logo_285.jpgimg]
    Post edited by orig_long red on
  • long red wrote:
    zwk51 wrote:
    Yea it would be nice to have them back, but I could do without an Islanders shirt. the only thing worse would be a mets shirt

http://www.sportsbuy.com/New/teamPages/ ... go_285.jpg

Yea I know the logo, but the islanders are an embarassment. Maybe just the Island underlining "Pearl Jam". You could use the water theme since they're into that.
  • long red wrote:
    zwk51 wrote:

http://www.sportsbuy.com/New/teamPages/ ... go_285.jpg

Yea I know the logo, but the islanders are an embarassment. Maybe just the Island underlining "Pearl Jam". You could use the water theme since they're into that.

hey how in the hell do i post a pic within the thread. it aint workin.
  • CROJAM95 wrote:

BUT

We have no real Venues, Jones Beach sux for alot of reasons and the coliseum is a mess

all of it's faults aside, i think Jones Beach has the best scenic location on the east coast...

i think they should do a LI tour...JB, Nassau Coliseum, an intimate acoustic show in the theater at westbury, someplace out east (i don't know of anything there but if something is there, they should play there)
  • CROJAM95 wrote:

BUT

all of it's faults aside, i think Jones Beach has the best scenic location on the east coast...

i think they should do a LI tour...JB, Nassau Coliseum, an intimate acoustic show in the theater at westbury, someplace out east (i don't know of anything there but if something is there, they should play there)

i hate jones beach ... the sound is crap! but yeah, it looks nice.

they could play the Brookhaven amphitheater ... that's a really nice place. and yeah, Westbury would be great too ... but better make that one a tri-state fan club only show. otherwise getting tix would be a nightmare.
  • long red wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:

BUT

i hate jones beach ... the sound is crap! but yeah, it looks nice.

they could play the Brookhaven amphitheater ... that's a really nice place. and yeah, Westbury would be great too ... but better make that one a tri-state fan club only show. otherwise getting tix would be a nightmare.

better make it just LI and NYC clubbers only, i think westbury it only seats like 6000 people or something like that...Frankie Valli plays there a lot like 3 or 4 times a tour and constantly comes back just to play that venue because it's tough to get tickets to that place...but EVERY seat is a good one at westbury...and it's theater in the round with a spining stage, which means everyone can be directly in front Eddie, Mike, and Stone
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    CROJAM95 wrote:

BUT

loved jones beach. had the time of my life at the 3 shows back in 2000. awesome summer night for each.
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    wait did i miss something in 03 ??? i was at the show .thought it went great... as for the bushleaguer thing.. i think ed misunderstood us... THERE IS NOT ONE PERSON IN THE TRI STATE area that liked bush....we all booed BUSH The person NOT THE SONG...if you ask me ED misunderstood us...i have said that since day one.....you ask 100 New Yorkers ill bet maybe 20% like what bush did...WE HATE BUSH ....

just gave it a spin....grant it there is one guy yelling PLAY FUCKING ROCK N ROLL.....but like i said you ask anyone that was there they will say they booed GWB NOT the song.....

EDIT i think some one should post a poll of why they got pissed/booed after they played bushleaguer...
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • joe2468 wrote:
    wait did i miss something in 03 ??? i was at the show .thought it went great... as for the bushleaguer thing.. i think ed misunderstood us... THERE IS NOT ONE PERSON IN THE TRI STATE area that liked bush....we all booed BUSH The person NOT THE SONG...if you ask me ED misunderstood us...i have said that since day one.....you ask 100 New Yorkers ill bet maybe 20% like what bush did...WE HATE BUSH ....

just gave it a spin....grant it there is one guy yelling PLAY FUCKING ROCK N ROLL.....but like i said you ask anyone that was there they will say they booed GWB NOT the song.....

early on in Bush's career there were more Bush supporting LIers than Gore...Long Island is an expensive place to live (for the most part) and you have to pretty much have a good amount of money to live there...the more money you had, the more likely you were a bush supporter...i wasn't then, nor was my family, and nor am i saying that that statement is 100% correct, but i remember seeing more Bush Chaney signs on peoples lawns than signs for Gore...NY went blue, but i think LI was Red despite
  • joe2468 wrote:

EDIT i think some one should post a poll of why they got pissed/booed after they played bushleaguer...

wow its amazing how someone else can hear something COMPLETELY different.

Long Island is VERY republican ... and overall, kinda asshole-y.

the boos were absolutely directed at Ed for the Bush mask and the song and the stage antics and the speech. i was up close and people were throwing fucking coins at the band.

how about the end when Ed slammed the mic stand down and stormed off the stage. Ed didn't misunderstand anything, he knew why people were booing and it pissed him off.
  • one of the greatest second encores everever
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • long red wrote:
    Remember Nassau, 2003? The Bushleaguer incident? Incredible concert transformed into hatefest staring Pearl Jam vs. testy Long Islanders.

I always thought that that show was one of their all-time best, until the ugliness destroyed the love.

Come back to Long Island, Pearl Jam. We owe each other an apology. Make 2010 the year of mutual redemption!

I said it then and I'll say it again now. I feel for you. I wish they did it for good people like yourself. Unfortunately, if I were the band, I would have some hesitation. I remember the band getting pretty freaked out because of hate mail and even death threats. I remember all of the spammers jumping on this board flooding the board with hate posts. I think they took the board down for a cooling off period. I think my vote would be to have a general show in MSG or somewhere like that, and then have a 10c only show in a smaller venue in Long Island.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • long red wrote:

I said it then and I'll say it again now. I feel for you. I wish they did it for good people like yourself. Unfortunately, if I were the band, I would have some hesitation. I remember the band getting pretty freaked out because of hate mail and even death threats. I remember all of the spammers jumping on this board flooding the board with hate posts. I think they took the board down for a cooling off period. I think my vote would be to have a general show in MSG or somewhere like that, and then have a 10c only show in a smaller venue in Long Island.

i'm down for a general MSG and 10c only LI shows...they should do Stony Brook University football stadium it's right in the middle of the island and it's too small for a general public show, but a good size for a 10c only show
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    joe2468 wrote:

early on in Bush's career there were more Bush supporting LIers than Gore...Long Island is an expensive place to live (for the most part) and you have to pretty much have a good amount of money to live there...the more money you had, the more likely you were a bush supporter...i wasn't then, nor was my family, and nor am i saying that that statement is 100% correct, but i remember seeing more Bush Chaney signs on peoples lawns than signs for Gore...NY went blue, but i think LI was Red despite

you think so???? ill totaly admit that at first i wasnt into politics as much as am now.... i could be wrong.. but that was the vibe i got...oh well ...
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i fully support this

they could play brookhaven amphitheater

it be easy for me to get home from :lol:

long island= home of the rich assholes
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• lelunelelune Posts: 15
    I didn't know about this until now (even as a native LIer) but TBH I'm shocked that happened, even knowing the kind of die-hard conservatism we have in some small areas around here. It's a shame that Long Island will be remembered by PJ and the fan community by this incident. I imagine a lot of the attendees weren't fans, but attended "just to see the show." Not that that's any excuse for shocking rudeness and ignorance. Anyway. I would LOVE to see a 10c only show at SBU, in fact I'd love to see SBU host concerts again in general. But does this actually happen? Are there ever 10c only shows? Pardon my ignorance of the matter.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    Please... no more shows on Long Island. Worst commute ever for a Pearl Jam show.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Westbury holds 2700, would be an impossible ticket to get but for those who got in, they would be in for a real treat !!
    BTW... Mike's Even Flow solo for the Uniondale show was scorching!!!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I loved that show
    the main set was fantastic
    and the encores, well lets just say that it made the concert very unique

but PJ please dont play Jones beach, that place, while beautiful, is no fun for shows
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Ugh - not down this path again.

Let us not forget that all of Brooklyn and Queens are on the Western end of The Island Of Great Length .

Jones Beach is horrible.
    Please Pearl Jam never play this Ampitheatre ever again .

I remember when the company name associated with this venue was miller genuine draft.
    There once was a time when you were able to pull out a blanket and go lay on the sand and hear the entire concert uniterputed or bothered.
    No more.,
    The venue has long lost the sense of intimacy it once had.
    They keep building up on top of it, ....
    getting larger and larger every summer.

It run by a bunch of knuckleheads,

Maybe ( hopefully ) pearl jam realizes most of all of this
    Even tho we are spoiled by The Priveledge of fan club allocation of tickets,
    not everyone is satisfied with this and has to resoprt to their own devices in acquiring tickets.

I tried sleeping out there in that tourstop of 3 nights ( 2000 ) ,
    but the state troopers turned us away at the front and said to return at sunrise .
    i pulled off the side of the loop parkway ( the circle around the needle ) and rested until just before sunrise.
    but by the time we drove up to the front, there were 6 cars inline and the sun hadnt fully risen yet.
    Youd think we woulda been in the top 10 online.

WRONG.

The scalpers had tents pitched and had obviously been alowed in when we were turned away overnight.

The folks immediately in front of us on the mystreriously extended long line
    admitted to us that they indeed werent fans ; they were in line for someone else.
    They later got a delivery from some shady slooking dudes with multiple cell phones and bags of donuts ;
    bagels and coffee for all of them .
    I shit you not, they all were securing all the max number of tickets at the box office than everyone waiting in line after them .

Bottom line, this place has been run in the past by some shady people somewhere along the lines, getting preferential advantageous perks that even the biggest diehard out there couldnt contend with.
    I was able to get what I was looking for, but these folks were clearly there for reselling purposes .

i still hope PJ doesnt play there ever again ,
    unless its a fanclub only show.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Ugh - not down this path again.

Let us not forget that all of Brooklyn and Queens are on the Western end of The Island Of Great Length .

Jones Beach is horrible.
    Please Pearl Jam never play this Ampitheatre ever again .

I remember when the company name associated with this venue was miller genuine draft.
    There once was a time when you were able to pull out a blanket and go lay on the sand and hear the entire concert uniterputed or bothered.
    No more.,
    The venue has long lost the sense of intimacy it once had.
    They keep building up on top of it, ....
    getting larger and larger every summer.

It run by a bunch of knuckleheads,

Maybe ( hopefully ) pearl jam realizes most of all of this
    Even tho we are spoiled by The Priveledge of fan club allocation of tickets,
    not everyone is satisfied with this and has to resoprt to their own devices in acquiring tickets.

I tried sleeping out there in that tourstop of 3 nights ( 2000 ) ,
    but the state troopers turned us away at the front and said to return at sunrise .
    i pulled off the side of the loop parkway ( the circle around the needle ) and rested until just before sunrise.
    but by the time we drove up to the front, there were 6 cars inline and the sun hadnt fully risen yet.
    Youd think we woulda been in the top 10 online.

WRONG.

The scalpers had tents pitched and had obviously been alowed in when we were turned away overnight.

The folks immediately in front of us on the mystreriously extended long line
    admitted to us that they indeed werent fans ; they were in line for someone else.
    They later got a delivery from some shady slooking dudes with multiple cell phones and bags of donuts ;
    bagels and coffee for all of them .
    I shit you not, they all were securing all the max number of tickets at the box office than everyone waiting in line after them .

Bottom line, this place has been run in the past by some shady people somewhere along the lines, getting preferential advantageous perks that even the biggest diehard out there couldnt contend with.
    I was able to get what I was looking for, but these folks were clearly there for reselling purposes .

i still hope PJ doesnt play there ever again ,
    unless its a fanclub only show.

I'm sorry that hapened to you and it totally sucks but I LOVE LOVE JB and hope PJ returns..Most beautiful place to see a show and super fun to be able to hang out on the beach/board walk all day, tailgate and then see GREAT show open air by the water at night

COME BACK TO JONES BEACH PLEEAASSEE!!!
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
    They need to come back to Holmdel... pronto!

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    on2legs wrote:
    BTW... Mike's Even Flow solo for the Uniondale show was scorching!!!

Totally AGREE!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • I'm all for PJ coming back to LI. I would be very nice to have a home field advantage for once when going to shows. MSG is sick dont get me wrong, but I would love to be able to get home in a half hour for once
  • joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    I grew up on Long Island and its a disgraceful cesspool.
    PJ stay far away, instead play Brooklyn. Keyspan Park is great, located right by the water in coney island and the White Stripes and Wilco played there already.
    Or they could play prospect park like Dylan. Bottom line is there is no need need to ever play eastern Long Island again !
  • joebot wrote:
    I grew up on Long Island and its a disgraceful cesspool.
    PJ stay far away, instead play Brooklyn. Keyspan Park is great, located right by the water in coney island and the White Stripes and Wilco played there already.
    Or they could play prospect park like Dylan. Bottom line is there is no need need to ever play eastern Long Island again !

You're a disgraceful cesspool
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,267
    I don't see them ever coming back here ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....