Pearl Jam Backspacer SHM-CD Info!

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,580
edited October 2009 in The Porch
Backspacer (Shm-CD) [Import] [SHM-CD] [Soundtrack]

(Canada) http://www.amazon.ca/Backspacer-Shm-CD- ... 643&sr=8-2

&

(USA) http://www.amazon.com/Backspacer-Pearl- ... 784&sr=8-3

Album Description

Japan only SHM pressing of their 2009 album. Limited edition & comes in special packaging. The SHM-CD [Super High Material CD] format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC & Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players.

Just a few day's ago, I get word from Amazon that they are back ordered. Didn't received the packages. Now the website changes to Temporarily out of stock! :? Has anybody received a SHM-CD copy from Amazon?

Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    first pressing sold out on preoder D, all the japan sites say the same....they are awaiting the second press which doesnt contain the bonus poster...
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,580
    pdalowsky wrote:
    first pressing sold out on preoder D, all the japan sites say the same....they are awaiting the second press which doesnt contain the bonus poster...

I was on that pre-order. Made the order many weeks ago. Got confirmation & all. Later they tell me they are sold out! :|
  • demetrios wrote:
    Japan only SHM pressing of their 2009 album. Limited edition & comes in special packaging. The SHM-CD [Super High Material CD] format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC & Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players.

I've always wondered... is there any actual science behind SHMs, or is this just another snake oil sale. It just sounds like a bunch of BS to me :|
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
    wow! just got back a confirmation from amazon.ca that they just received a shipment and my package of backspacer shm-cd has been shipped out. :shock:

now the hunt for a .. made in canada backspacer cd! :|
  • SHM is a scam. If the audio is different, which it probably won't be, they give the regular CD to some Japanese guy and he tweaks the EQ to make it "different".

Don't waste your time unless you want the packaging.
  • arthurdent wrote:

I've always wondered... is there any actual science behind SHMs, or is this just another snake oil sale. It just sounds like a bunch of BS to me :|

1s and 0s are 1s and 0s, no matter how you slice it...
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
    SHM is a scam. If the audio is different, which it probably won't be, they give the regular CD to some Japanese guy and he tweaks the EQ to make it "different".

If it's a Made in Japan product, it is a far superior product then it's predecessors & well worth the price. Kinda wished there was a bonus track, but c'est la vie!
  • demetrios wrote:
    SHM is a scam. If the audio is different, which it probably won't be, they give the regular CD to some Japanese guy and he tweaks the EQ to make it "different".

If it's a Made in Japan product, it is a far superior product then it's predecessors & well worth the price.

In terms of packaging, but not always sound quality. In the case of Backspacer, I doubt there's any difference in sound.
    demetrios wrote:

If it's a Made in Japan product, it is a far superior product then it's predecessors & well worth the price.

In terms of packaging, but not always sound quality. In the case of Backspacer, I doubt there's any difference in sound.

I haven't heard it yet & tested it yet. Plus haven't heard any reviews on it online. We'll see the results soon. :)