what's on your mind, right now?

Comments

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Thanks Lolo and def be careful yourself 
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    ^ Get some rest boys!

This CAT 4 hurricane making a bullseye out of my town 
    Yikes! Be safe! 
    The days leading up to a hurricane are so damed stressful making the aftermath always so much harder to deal with. :(
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    Thank you Longueuil and I wish it was all hype. I've decided to evacuate after work tomorrow. Not chancing it when I have family 4 hours inland to stay with. I'm packing up the cats and the kid and we are taking off. Bracing myself for 4 hours of cat meows :)

stay safe!

And you too, Lolo. I hope and assume you are far enough inland to avoid the worst of it. 

Thanks, Often.

We are far enough away from the coast that we should be OK. We will just have to deal with flooding primarily.

Flooding can be just as bad. Fingers crossed you stay warm and dry. 
    thinking of you and your safety. You do seem to be the bullseye in the European model - but either way - get to inland and don't drive if the road is water covered. I'm watching news coverage of people walking on the beaches with babies and it makes me cringe - get outta town!!! We should just be getting some light rain but my thoughts are with the Carolinas and VA Coast and inward. Category 4 Hurricane is serious, especially when she wants to sit overhead for a couple days. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to you, your family, esp the cats who will be freaking out - animals feel danger before we do. Let us know you are okay when you are able. Much love.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    ^ Thanks Lolo and def be careful yourself 
    Hope you are fine M...
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    My mind is back to 2001 and what I was doing. My mother calling from work in Teaneck NJ to see what I knew about the plane they had heard about on the radio and seeing the second plane hit as I was on the phone with her as her co-workers were desperately trying to contact their children who worked in the Towers. I remember fearing for my just 4 year old son being exposed tot he coverage and running to the car while ducking because the second plane had flown right over my house and having no cell service. Getting Tanner to daycare hoping that nothing would happen on my side of the Hudson and spending the day watching in horror on TV and from my back porch as the day progressed. Reporting back to my mom and talking to my sister whose husband was in the city but not in contact till much later that day - he spent the night in the basement of his Manhattan workplace, which was around the corner from where i used to work - wondering if my old co-workers and friends and family were okay. It was a crazy,scary, surreal day and I am right back there every September 11. Could not go into the City for years and finally went when the memorial first opened. My town lost 6 people on that day and do not know how many have been lost to the diseases that continue to kill from the poison that was released that day. The fact that Congress has to be pressured to cover the deadly diseases that so many suffer & die from in the days' aftermath is infuriating and the numbers of deaths outnumber the amount who died that die at this point.

I also remember how the country was united for a brief period of time and how that felt so good while it lasted.  I will never forget  - the skyline tat I see from my home will never allow me to if my memory were ever to fail. So many people affected by that day. This day. It happened right in front of my eyes and I will never stop watching those names be read - especially when 40% of the families have never been able to bury even a bone fragment of their loved ones. My mother's co=worker received a finger years after and they were actually happy to have something to properly bury. God bless them all

I also am watching diligently the news about the Hurricane Florence - as millions are mandatorily  evacuating. I hope to God that the government is on top of this. Prayers to so many today.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    hauntingfamiliar said:This CAT 4 hurricane making a bullseye out of my town 
    Be safe Meredith! :prayer:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    njnancy said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    Thank you Longueuil and I wish it was all hype. I've decided to evacuate after work tomorrow. Not chancing it when I have family 4 hours inland to stay with. I'm packing up the cats and the kid and we are taking off. Bracing myself for 4 hours of cat meows :)

stay safe!

And you too, Lolo. I hope and assume you are far enough inland to avoid the worst of it. 

Thanks, Often.

We are far enough away from the coast that we should be OK. We will just have to deal with flooding primarily.

Flooding can be just as bad. Fingers crossed you stay warm and dry. 
    thinking of you and your safety. You do seem to be the bullseye in the European model - but either way - get to inland and don't drive if the road is water covered. I'm watching news coverage of people walking on the beaches with babies and it makes me cringe - get outta town!!! We should just be getting some light rain but my thoughts are with the Carolinas and VA Coast and inward. Category 4 Hurricane is serious, especially when she wants to sit overhead for a couple days. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to you, your family, esp the cats who will be freaking out - animals feel danger before we do. Let us know you are okay when you are able. Much love.

thank you for your thoughts, Nancy.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Yes thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers. We made it to Charlotte last night, cats and all in one piece. Much safer spot to ride the storm out. 
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Yes thanks everyone for their thoughts and prayers. We made it to Charlotte last night, cats and all in one piece. Much safer spot to ride the storm out. 
    Feels good that you are safe.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I had such a funny dream last night,
    I dreamt that I gave E.V a foot massage lol 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Annafalk said:
    LOL!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Annafalk said:
    Thanks Anna :) ^ And ha ha! Maybe he will return the favor in tonight's dream?!
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    ^ Get some rest boys!

Florence made landfall. Stay safe!

We're supposed to have it pass over sometime tomorrow. Hopefully it has weakened to tropical storm status by then. The amount of rain scares me though. We experienced the 1000 year flood a couple years ago and the amount of rain forecast could cause that again.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Since I'm just not right this is now my theme song for Florence.
    https://youtu.be/iC-_lVzdiFE
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    ^ Get some rest boys!

We're supposed to have it pass over sometime tomorrow. Hopefully it has weakened to tropical storm status by then. The amount of rain scares me though. We experienced the 1000 year flood a couple years ago and the amount of rain forecast could cause that again.

stay safe.

in other news... I am kicking myself for not buying QOTSA self titled LP at the show in 2011. it is now going for over $70 used.  damn it!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

^ Get some rest boys!

Yes you too! The flooding seems to be the main worry.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    ^ Get some rest boys!

Indeed. I saw some frightening snippets of video today of water up to the windows in houses. I sure hope that whatever you go back to, when you return, is somehow unscathed. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    The heart defect that I was born with is Tetralogy of Fallot, also known as TOF. TOF also stands for Time of Flight which I think is a cooler way to think of the repairs. TOF repairs hahahahahaha. (Friday afternoon humor hehehehe)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    ^ Get some rest boys!

Indeed. I saw some frightening snippets of video today of water up to the windows in houses. I sure hope that whatever you go back to, when you return, is somehow unscathed. 
    Thank you Often. I'm not sure when I will be able to return. Many parts of my neighborhood are flooded....as are many other areas in Wilmington. The Cajun Army recued people by boat on my street last night with waist high water in their homes. The tornados last night only added insult to injury. Not to mention the looters. The temporary emergency shelter at the school near my house was evacuated last night due to flooding, fire departments are flooding... It's a total shit show right now.  I know my house is on the higher end of the road and I have a neighbor that stayed who said the creek behind my house was even with the land yesterday but had not flooded. There is normally a 20 ' drop from the top of my land to the bottom of the creek. My neighbor said that the water actually went down a little this morning. I feel extremely fortunate. I am praying for the safety of and want to express my extreme gratitude to the members of the Cajun Navy (150 selfless volunteers from Louisiana), the law enforcement, fire fighters, EMS, utility workers and volunteers from all over the country working with with little food, little sleep and dangerous conditions to help people in my community. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I am happy for you that your house didn't flood. Recovering from these natural disasters can be a trying thing, so hope everything goes smooth for you getting back. Stay safe!
    Glad that those who were in Florence's path (and continue to deal with the flooding) are still with us and staying strong. Continued thoughts for you guys.
    ^^ :hug: Thank you both :) Still here in Charlotte at my Mom's house.  Things are starting to dry up a tad in Wilmington. Looking like the roads into Wilmington might be open on Thursday or Friday. I'm starting to settle into this not working thing. I left home after work last Tuesday. Going on almost a full week now. What a crazy week it's been. Thinking it might be time for a change.
    ^^ :hug: Thank you both :) Still here in Charlotte at my Mom's house.  Things are starting to dry up a tad in Wilmington. Looking like the roads into Wilmington might be open on Thursday or Friday. I'm starting to settle into this not working thing. I left home after work last Tuesday. Going on almost a full week now. What a crazy week it's been. Thinking it might be time for a change.

I am hoping that you are able to return home soon.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

Made it home yesterday!!! I used the WAZE app and it detoured me past the closed roads and flooding. It only added about 2 extra hours to the trip. Arrived home and I was definitely one of the fortunate ones on my street. No flooding in my house, only one tree down, some minimal damage and debris. The same is not true for the last half of my road. Thank you to everyone for their good thoughts, prayers and vibes!!! It's feels really good to finally be home. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    lolobugg said:

Made it home yesterday!!! I used the WAZE app and it detoured me past the closed roads and flooding. It only added about 2 extra hours to the trip. Arrived home and I was definitely one of the fortunate ones on my street. No flooding in my house, only one tree down, some minimal damage and debris. The same is not true for the last half of my road. Thank you to everyone for their good thoughts, prayers and vibes!!! It's feels really good to finally be home. 
    So amazing that you’re back home to an intact house. I’m sure you’ll be faced with many friends and maybe family who have not been so lucky so you and your community still have a tough road ahead. Take care of yourself. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Ms. Haiku said:
    The heart defect that I was born with is Tetralogy of Fallot, also known as TOF. TOF also stands for Time of Flight which I think is a cooler way to think of the repairs. TOF repairs hahahahahaha. (Friday afternoon humor hehehehe)
    Ms Haiku,
    Sending you positive vibes.
    lolobugg said:

So amazing that you’re back home to an intact house. I’m sure you’ll be faced with many friends and maybe family who have not been so lucky so you and your community still have a tough road ahead. Take care of yourself. 
    Thank you. We took a drive around the neighborhood today and the devastation is unbelievable. My daughter and I don't know where to begin to help..it all felt so overwhelming. I think the place to start would be to just walk down the street and talk to people. Find out what they need. Offer them a cold bottle of water and go from there.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    hauntingfamiliar said: My daughter and I don't know where to begin to help..it all felt so overwhelming. I think the place to start would be to just walk down the street and talk to people. Find out what they need. Offer them a cold bottle of water and go from there.
    You and your daughter are wonderful human beings! :clap::star:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    ^ That's very kind of you to say Pap. :hug:
    It's hard to not have this kind if reaction given the circumstances.
  • While cleaning today, I recalled a pool party I was at about a month ago.  My gratitude for even being invited is tenfold.  However, she thumbed down Neil Young on Pandora when Keep on Rocking in a Free World came on.  It seems they had been getting a lot of random Youngs that week and she was burnt out.  Like nails on a chalkboard my music soul halted and almost said something, but when in Rome...  Then I heard that part from Sweet Home Alabama the other day where they sing, "I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around anyhow".  What was there deal with Young?   There was a time when I would want to know the meaning behind that story, but now I realize life is too short.    Keep on Rocking in a Free World means we still have freedom of speech.  That is so important.  So many are looking the other way right now on politics, because of all the noise.  If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.