Options

The next single HAS to be...

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited September 2009 in The Porch
...Gonna See My Friend.

Easily the catchiest, coolest, funnest song on the album. Could be a huge hit if they choose to release it.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Got Some. It's the only sensible thing to do.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

That would actually be my second choice. :)
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    I initially thought that not releasing Just Breath would be a crime. But now, I'm not sure.

I think Got Some would do well.
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Got Some or Unthought Known have major potential
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Judging by the response from itunes. Sounds like Just Breathe could be an enormous hit.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    part of me wants it to be unthought known, but there is also a large part of me that wants to keep that song out of the limelight, is that wrong? I remember long ago feeling a bit panicked that they wouold decide to make a video for Black, kind of the same protective feeling I guess. I also think Force of Nature or amongst the waves would be good choices, or maybe even supersonic?
    all those paper plates......
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    Judging by the response from itunes. Sounds like Just Breathe could be an enormous hit.

I could see that because it has a wide appeal since it's not really a "rock" song
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options

Got Some would fade quicker than the Fixer and quicker than Life Wasted from the last album. I don't see where it fits in radio today.
  • Options

Got Some would fade quicker than the Fixer and quicker than Life Wasted from the last album. I don't see where it fits in radio today.

What? If The Fixer and World Wide Suicide had success, ya gotta think Got Some would.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The next single will be Just Breathe, I heard this from a source very close to the band.
  • Options
    joergjoerg Austria Posts: 123
    The next single will be Just Breathe, I heard this from a source very close to the band.

to me it seems obvious that this would be the next single. f*** what a great touching song, but if they will release it as a single, radio-air-play will kill it :-(
    ... wind in my hair i feel part of everywhere ...
  • Options
    pineapplesandwaves.pineapplesandwaves. GTA Posts: 1,808
    edited September 2009
    I initially thought that not releasing Just Breath would be a crime. But now, I'm not sure.

I think Got Some would do well.

When I first heard Backspacer, Just Breath is the song that most grabbed me. Selfishly, I don't want it to become a single, because it's *my* song. :D Radio play would kill it... :(

It sounds like a song that should be playing during the closing credits... like Man of the Hour... but so much better...

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my cd to arrive, so I haven't been able to give Backspacer a good listen... but I'd have to say Got Some would be great for the next single. It's a good rocker for rock/alt radio...
    Post edited by pineapplesandwaves. on
  • Options
    i hope you're right. i think Got Some would work fine, too.
  • Options
    AS long as they don't re-release The Fixer again, they can't really screw it up.
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Couldnt even hazzard a guess at this. Pearl Jam always seem to release single that I would never have thought.

They will probably release Speed of Sound considering I think it and the Fixer are worst two on BS :lol:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    I think Force of Nature would do great on radio!!!!

2011 - Eddie Vedder Sydney 1
    _____________________________________________________________________________
  • Options

I think you are right...Got Some would not even do near as well as Life Wasted. It's a great song but not the type that would do well on radio at all. I think if this is the second single, this album will fail to even reach 500k in sales. Saying that, I'm not even sure there is another 'radio' tune on the album. I keep going back to Amongst the Waves but I'm not sure if radio would be patient enough for the brooding/slow buildup to the chorus/climax at the end of the song.
  • Options
    I'm surprised that Amongst the Waves has not been suggestedd. However, this album is fully of much more radio friendly hits that could be the next singe. Regardless of which is chosen as the new single, I just hope PJ releases a real b-side along with th single.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    O_G_DO_G_D Toronto Posts: 541
    As a realist i think its gotta be GOT SOME.........
    1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

• Options

I sure hope not...
  • Options
    i really hope its not ATW. i;ve decided that song is one step away from christian rock, with awful surfing metaphors. i tried. i really did. but its a pale imitation of classic PJ songs.
  • Options
    pjfanman wrote:

I think you are right...Got Some would not even do near as well as Life Wasted. It's a great song but not the type that would do well on radio at all. I think if this is the second single, this album will fail to even reach 500k in sales. Saying that, I'm not even sure there is another 'radio' tune on the album. I keep going back to Amongst the Waves but I'm not sure if radio would be patient enough for the brooding/slow buildup to the chorus/climax at the end of the song.

Wow, I actually think ATW is a pretty fast build-up... an instant gratification song. The chorus comes in after only the first verse!

I think it would probably do well, although I still think Just Breathe is the best choice for a second single. (And I'd love to see Unthought Known as a third single, but I don't think they'd ever do it.)
  • Options
    I don't think Just Breathe would do well at all...again, an amazing song, but rock radio formats in large part would have none of this tune but it isn't top 40 type of material either. Not sure what the second single should be but if I would release ATW or Force of Nature.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    i really hope its not ATW. i;ve decided that song is one step away from christian rock, with awful surfing metaphors. i tried. i really did. but its a pale imitation of classic PJ songs.
    Glad I'm not the only who thinks the exact same thing.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    i think there are a few of us lurking in the shadows that love PJ but feel the same way.
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:
    Couldnt even hazzard a guess at this. Pearl Jam always seem to release single that I would never have thought.

I think it is no coincidence that they are self-releasing and have made their poppiest and most accessible album since Ten. Clearly, they understand that to fund their own releases and remain on the top level of music, in terms of sales and vitality, they have to shift some copies. they wouldn't go to all this trouble just to release one album, they must have an ongoing plan of action to continue self-releasing and doing it on a decent level.

That means that we won't have any repeats of singles like NAIS, WWS and Who You Are.

It's therefore only a choice between Just Breathe, Amongst The Waves or Force Of Nature. Nothing else on the album is mainstream or radio-friendly enough.
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902

I don't even know what he's saying most of the song. I just like the music, but not for the next single of course.
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:

I think it is no coincidence that they are self-releasing and have made their poppiest and most accessible album since Ten. Clearly, they understand that to fund their own releases and remain on the top level of music, in terms of sales and vitality, they have to shift some copies. they wouldn't go to all this trouble just to release one album, they must have an ongoing plan of action to continue self-releasing and doing it on a decent level.

That means that we won't have any repeats of singles like NAIS, WWS and Who You Are.

It's therefore only a choice between Just Breathe, Amongst The Waves or Force Of Nature. Nothing else on the album is mainstream or radio-friendly enough.
    i'm still having a hard time believing they thought Fixer was the best radio single. i think any band that would release that as a single (and have released those other singles you mentioned) is suddenly done releasing radio unfriendly singles.

bring on Speed of Sound!
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,945
    Whatever they go for next I hope they release a fair few singles from this album, I want themz!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    yield2me wrote:

I could see that because it has a wide appeal since it's not really a "rock" song

That's your pick and the reason why above. They would be crazy not to release it as a single
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.