Options

Please Explain Posters to me...

jjm33jjm33 Posts: 195
edited July 2008 in The Porch
So whats the deal with PJ posters? Every show I've been to (11 w/ 3 over the next week coming to make it 14), I typically buy a t shirt, but only once have bought a poster. At the time, I bought it just cause it was cool looking. Side note: I could have sworn that it was a lighthouse / octopus poster from '96 Hartford which was kind of fuzzy and looked great in a blacklight, but when I look for it on line I have trouble finding it...I instead find a different Hartford poster...After being stuck to my various dorm room walls through college it eventually was thrown out, which kills me as I'd love to still have it.

It was not until reading this board some that I came to realize folks are nuts about the PJ posters. Back in the day in the late 90's I was an avid Five Horizons reader and don't remember anyone ever mentioning Posters. So can someone give me a readers digest on Posters? Some starting questions include:

1.) Whats the diff btw an Ames or a Klausen designed poster?
2.) Were folks always crazy for the posters or did it just pick up over the past few years as folks started profiting from them?
3.) Are there different size print runs?
4.) Whats the deal with season passes?
5.) Are there different print methodologies?
6.) Once posters come out are they quickly copied so that there are 'imposters' available on the net?
7.) Anything else cool you can think of..
8.) MOST IMPORTANTLY: How early do I need to go inside the venue if I want to buy one at Hartford or Mansfield next weekend?

Thanks...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    jjm33 wrote:
    So whats the deal with PJ posters? Every show I've been to (11 w/ 3 over the next week coming to make it 14), I typically buy a t shirt, but only once have bought a poster. At the time, I bought it just cause it was cool looking. Side note: I could have sworn that it was a lighthouse / octopus poster from '96 Hartford which was kind of fuzzy and looked great in a blacklight, but when I look for it on line I have trouble finding it...I instead find a different Hartford poster...After being stuck to my various dorm room walls through college it eventually was thrown out, which kills me as I'd love to still have it.

It was not until reading this board some that I came to realize folks are nuts about the PJ posters. Back in the day in the late 90's I was an avid Five Horizons reader and don't remember anyone ever mentioning Posters. So can someone give me a readers digest on Posters? Some starting questions include:

2.) Were folks always crazy for the posters or did it just pick up over the past few years as folks started profiting from them?
    6.) Once posters come out are they quickly copied so that there are 'imposters' available on the net?
    8.) MOST IMPORTANTLY: How early do I need to go inside the venue if I want to buy one at Hartford or Mansfield next weekend?

Thanks...

That 98 poster is from Mansfield. It is awesome and valuable.

These are simply two different designers/artists that Pearl Jam employs to make posters.

I think people have become crazier for posters. This is natural because they are a. limited, b. art, c. reminders of an awesome experience. I don't think it has to do with profit as much as it has to do with emotion and peoples natural tendency to collect things. Especially rare items.

Yes. Some are 1000, some are 800, Now I don't think they make us aware of the print run, but it is higher. I think.

I think it is called a stub and if you want ALL of the posters for a tour you have to get 'lucky' to be one of the first to score it. It is more expensive, but they are signed and numbered and therefore more rare.

I don't know about that but I would guess yes.

I think some of the older more rare ones are reproduced. Someone else might know more about this than me.

They look awesome framed on your wall.

This tour doesn't seem to be as difficult to get them. Still I would be there when the doors open to be sure.
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    The artist who made the poster

Yep

Ames brothers offer a subscription. You pre-buy 1 of every poster they do on the tour

?

Bot usually but it has happened

They are printed on paper made from trees. Also, if you are at any shows and see 2 people who look like an older comic book guy from the simpsons...they are ninersfan on ebay

Generally when doors open although they lasted for awhile in Camden

Thanks...
  • Options
    jjm33jjm33 Posts: 195
    That was fast, thanks for the replies...

Any word on if they have continued to do wristbands for all the shows? Any word on how to figure out if poster tubes are allowed in?
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    They are doing wristbands for all these shows and I do not think they allow poster tubes into any of them.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    i just started collecting the posters. Whats the deal witht he akward dimensions?
  • Options
    sailboatcaptainsailboatcaptain San Juan, Puerto Rico Posts: 251
    Anything else cool you can think of..

they look awesome in my walls....
    a WAVE came crashing like a fist to the jaw !
    WPB 03,Tampa 03,Camden 03,MSG1 03,Kissimmee 04,Lollapalooza 07, WPB 08,Tampa 08,Chicago 2009 (night 1 & 2), MSG 1 & 2 May 2010. PJ20 Sept 3 & 4 2011, Midtown Festival Sept 2012, Brooklyn Oct 18 & 19 2013, Ft Lauderdale 2016 and Miami 2016, Brooklyn, NY 2017
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    jjm33 wrote:

Thanks...

run
    run like hell to the closest concessionaire
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    nlowrancenlowrance Dallas, TX Posts: 20
    What is the difference between artist proofs and merchandise copies? Is one better over another?
    Dallas, Texas (June 09, 2003) | New York, New York (June 24, 2008) | Austin, Texas (October 04, 2009) | New York, New York (May 20, 2010) | Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013) | Oklahoma City, OK (November 16, 2013) | Oklahoma City (September 20, 2022)
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Who is ninersfan? I've seen that dude get hated on.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Murderers wrote:
    Who is ninersfan? I've seen that dude get hated on.

he's a celebrity around here! :D Ask pjtaper!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    SENROCK! wrote:
    he's a celebrity around here! :D Ask pjtaper!!!
    I'm confuzzled. :(
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    The guy is allegedly a dick who buys loads of a poster and then sells for vast profit on ebay

as for the poster you had, the Mansfield 98, one of Ames very finest moments, and you ruined it, gulp....so thats one of the 900 made that aint around anymore
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    To the OP, I was wondering the exact same thing... when did the posters become such a desired item... so thanks, all, for the answers.

I have a poster from the '95 Australian tour. I forgot I even had it until I found it when I was home at Christmas (can't remember if it was just the Sydney dates or if it was a general Australian tour poster). I meant to bring it back with me and forgot to pack it, but my dad assures me it's safe in a poster tube ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    you talking of the asia 95 green zebra poster?

if so great poster, but it is digital, and very easily damaged

the screen printeds tend to be nicer now
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it's a zebra... I was trying to remember and kept thinking giraffe, but I think you're right that it's a zebra (the poster fans know ;)) Either way, my sister is heading home and I've asked her to bring it back for me so that I can get it framed. It's only small and has some marks on it where it was on my wall with bluetak :|
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    Tone wrote:
    Yeah, I think it's a zebra... I was trying to remember and kept thinking giraffe, but I think you're right that it's a zebra (the poster fans know ;)) Either way, my sister is heading home and I've asked her to bring it back for me so that I can get it framed. It's only small and has some marks on it where it was on my wall with bluetak :|

FYI--keeping posters in tubes for long periods of time actually damages the the poster--they begin to warp and develop roll marks. Unframed posters should be stored flat in an acid free box. You can purchase these online from archival suppliers.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    by the way your poster is still very valuable, especially in good nick,

approx 400 bucks
  • Options
    FYI--keeping posters in tubes for long periods of time actually damages the the poster--they begin to warp and develop roll marks. Unframed posters should be stored flat in an acid free box. You can purchase these online from archival suppliers.

Yeah, it already has roll marks where it was squashed a little... like I said, I completely forgot I even had it, I probably hadn't laid eyes on it in 10+ years. I'll get my hands back on it and get it framed ;)

pdalowsky wrote:
    by the way your poster is still very valuable, especially in good nick,

approx 400 bucks

Seriously!? I wouldn't sell it but that just blows my mind.
  • Options
    the poster has a wavy effect in it anyway, so you'll not even notice
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    the poster has a wavy effect in it anyway, so you'll not even notice

LOL, yay! ;) 'specially when it's laid out flat in a frame :D