Meeting Ed

2»

Comments

• elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    great story and i felt like i was right there with ya in the elevator. i swear someday, we should all work together and do a book of stories of how this band has touched us by just saying hi to us or shaking our hands or whatever and then publish it and give it to the band as a thank you present
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    Well if you want to meet someone sometimes you have to take bold movements, and after all you had was a couples of words a hand shake, if there's some after life I guess your dad must be LHAO ;)
    I'm happy for you man but don't use your dad's badge anymore you may get in trouble!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • great story and i felt like i was right there with ya in the elevator. i swear someday, we should all work together and do a book of stories of how this band has touched us by just saying hi to us or shaking our hands or whatever and then publish it and give it to the band as a thank you present

Ed shaking my hand from the stage at the first Tower show still makes me all giddy inside, because I was in the third row and he really had to stretch to reach me, but he did because he saw how much I was anticipating it

that's a class act
  • "Showed some guy a fake police badge...."

To me that is disrespect. that badge was a gift from my dad and something i don't fuck around with. their is a unique respect between all officers of any kind and their families. that's why i showed it and that's why he let me stay there.

hotel? it was Radio City Music Hall where the show was played. Again, read the post to get some clarity.

If Ed didn't want to talk to me, he would have said so and I would have walked away with complete understanding and wouldn't think twice about it.

I had the pleasure to meet 4 very, very nice people who treated me as if i was just an ordinary person in their lives at that point in time. The comfort level and understanding of respect was there from the first second of interaction. No requests for photos or autographs. wasn't the place or time.

I hope you have people in your life that show you love and respect because you need it and perhaps it can rub off on you. It's within everyone and i hope it comes out through you one day
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    if ed was standing outside my small office door, smoking a cigarette, pacing slowly back and forth... is he stalking me? if so, i was famous once. :lol::D
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • "Showed some guy a fake police badge...."

To me that is disrespect. that badge was a gift from my dad and something i don't fuck around with. their is a unique respect between all officers of any kind and their families. that's why i showed it and that's why he let me stay there.

hotel? it was Radio City Music Hall where the show was played. Again, read the post to get some clarity.

If Ed didn't want to talk to me, he would have said so and I would have walked away with complete understanding and wouldn't think twice about it.

I had the pleasure to meet 4 very, very nice people who treated me as if i was just an ordinary person in their lives at that point in time. The comfort level and understanding of respect was there from the first second of interaction. No requests for photos or autographs. wasn't the place or time.

I hope you have people in your life that show you love and respect because you need it and perhaps it can rub off on you. It's within everyone and i hope it comes out through you one day

don't let the naysayers bother you, it was a great story, you didn't do any "wrong" and you have a life time memory

don't let some of the replies here spoil that
    great story and i felt like i was right there with ya in the elevator. i swear someday, we should all work together and do a book of stories of how this band has touched us by just saying hi to us or shaking our hands or whatever and then publish it and give it to the band as a thank you present

Ed shaking my hand from the stage at the first Tower show still makes me all giddy inside, because I was in the third row and he really had to stretch to reach me, but he did because he saw how much I was anticipating it

that's a class act

yeah, those Tower shows and that site were a pretty powerful place. Amazing how the man can do so much good in the world and bring so many smiles and happy hearts with just a few moments of his time. Again, one day I would love to get it all documented by everyone and give it back to the band just to let them know how much they bring to our lives
    i swear someday, we should all work together and do a book of stories of how this band has touched us by just saying hi to us or shaking our hands or whatever and then publish it and give it to the band as a thank you present

agree! we should each be allowed X number of words (like half a page typed) and do exactly that.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    i swear someday, we should all work together and do a book of stories of how this band has touched us by just saying hi to us or shaking our hands or whatever and then publish it and give it to the band as a thank you present

agree! we should each be allowed X number of words (like half a page typed) and do exactly that.

maybe after the philly wishlist events are over, that will be my next project!? I will definitely need something to do come Nov 1 besides getting some sleep!
  • CJMST3K wrote:

I want to hear why Ed was pacing outside your office :lol:
  • ANTIocmedANTIocmed Dopetown, IL Posts: 32
    OP - I'll give you credit, atleast you werent holding a huge sign that read 'I HEART EDDIE VEDDER'......cool story.
    Say hello to the rug's topography..It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it
    CJMST3K wrote:

He actually told the story once...something about he worked at MSG and Ed was hiding out in the halls...
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Cool Story.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    Awesome story!! I think using your dad's badge was a way that your dad said 'its your time to live your dream now"

To hell with those people who say you were stalking...if I saw the same opportunity as you i would have gone for it too!! Live your life to the fullest!! Just like you said whats the worse you could have been in, back outside...but you didn't. I think your dad was watching over you that night...great story!!!!

BTW, Black just came on the radio as I read your story & typing this!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • and what are the words in the new song "I gotta say it now, better loud than too late"

to mean that means not wasting an opportunity, which is exactly what you did

no shame in that
  • Cool post! Your right about Ed being on the short side at the show at the united center in 98 during Frank Black's opening set I was sitting first row behind the stage and Ed and his bodyguard walked right through my row! didnt get to say anything to him or shake his hand but I did get to wittness how short he is Im 5'10'' and he came up to the middle of my chest!-Greg-
    Flubby
  • that is one amazing story. And it's not stalking at all. it's you having a harmless chat with a guy who has touched your life. You were forthright with the security staff, and didn't do anything or say anything shady, so to anyone who says differently, STFU. If Eddie thought it was stalking, I'm sure he would have reacted differently.

I'm sure Speedy is just jealous. :roll:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    fuck that...when you are a fan of the music it's not stalking......hiding in the bushes outside his house or something would be stalking.

you had the opp. and you took it...good for you! your story sounds kinda like a mentos commercial. :mrgreen:

these guys are def the coolest cats in the bizz!!

agree 100%

great story.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Pretty kickass story. I enjoyed it, and didn't exactly seem that Ed was thinking "psycho stalker" or was even bothered in the least, so good on you! Ed does sound like a truely classy guy - part of why we love this band so much, I guess.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    So I don't post here much, at all really. Been in fan club since 94 and been to 40+ shows. Never made it any intention to try to meet any band members out of respect for their personal lives but earlier this year i was presented an opportunity i couldn't pass up. finally posting this because i thought many of you would appreciate this story. this was the email i sent to friends and family the next day

Went to the David Lynch Benefit last night. Got to see Paul McCartney and Ringo on same stage and of course Ed was playing solo. So, after the show, I walked outside to where all fans were standing behind barricades waiting for each musician to come out. I walked up to the front of the barricade on the outside part. A cop asked me to move but i showed my dad's badge (he was a detective) and he let me stay. 5 minutes later Paul M walked out and walked about 5 ft from me before turning around. At this point, people jumped the barricades and the cops and bodyguards all jumped toward Paul. I took the chance and walked into the Radio City door he came out of as it was left wide open and all the attention was on Paul. As soon as I was in, I hopped on the elevator with a few people and got off on the 5th floor. the rooms on that floor were empty and a guy asked me if i had credentials. I told him no and got back on the elevator. figured i would just be honest. worst is that i get asked to leave and back in same situation i was just in. Another RC employee got on at the 3rd floor and took a sign off of the elevator and said "this may be worth something someday". It was a list of what floors all of the stars were staying on. I asked him about Ed, he hit the 2nd floor and said here you go. I got off and to my right was a room and I could see Ed taking a picture with Jill , Ben Harper and Laura Dern. I walked over and a bodyguard asked if I knew Ed personally. I told him no and he told me to stay where i was. I saw Ed grab a water from the fridge and I was very thirsty so the bodyguard let me grab a water also. Someone kept saying they had to leave so on the way out, they walked passed me. Ed hugged a lady right next to me so after, I introduced myself and said great show. he said thanks, nice to meet you and went to the elevator. I said to myself, fuck it, and asked the bodyguard if could get on the elevator also. with a smirk and a look of "are you really asking me this?" he said yes. So I was on the elevator with Ed, Jill, Ben and Laura. Ed was talking about the show and how cool it was to actually be on stage with Paul and Ringo and something that he could have done better (couldn't really hear him on that one). After getting off the elevator, there was a wait until they had to get into the car. So i said "Ed, you got a sec?".. he said "yeah, what's up? (lighting up a cig). I told him I was a big fan of the band and thanked him for all the enjoyment the band has given me over the years and then said that I was really there to see Paul and Ringo because it meant a lot to me and my dad but by dad had passed 8 years ago. He agreed that it was a must see show and that it was awesome to be a part of. Ben then called him over. At that time I congratulated Jill on their latest kid and she said thank you and that not many people approach her and say that and then Ed also said thanks. They were then told the car was there. On there way out, Ed reached back shook my hand and said, "Nice to meet you xxx, (then pointed his finger towards the sky and said) my dad and your dad are up there and they know we're having fun down here. Have a good night". It was amazing that he remembered my name from upstairs and that he was nice enough to acknowledge my dad on his way out. very cool experience. everything i've read aboutt him giving you his total attention was completely true. Can't believe how short he really is though. show was also absolutely amazing by the way.
    Its a nice story nice read but do we have to put in the short part? geez- you had me til then- its so unnecessary- that must be a man thing-
    I can't imagine thinking that if i met him- I'd think the better to see his eyes being 5'4" and all
    CJMST3K wrote:

Because he was going to play his first and second shows at MSG, where I worked. My production office was next door to their dressing room, and the stage is right after my old office. In fairness there are big photos of previous artists who've played there, so he was pacing, smoking a cig, looking at all the perty photos on either side of my door. :D
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,610
    I'm confused by this story, OP starts off by saying he went to the David Lynch benefit last night. That show was months ago.
    HUH??
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    somehow, I can't imagine Ed not remembering someone's name.
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    URthekey wrote:
    I'm confused by this story, OP starts off by saying he went to the David Lynch benefit last night. That show was months ago.
    HUH??

I think he mentioned that t happened a while ago but was just positing now. Maybe he had written it down somewhere else at the time and pasted it in.
    Lauri wrote:
    URthekey wrote:
    HUH??

I think he mentioned that t happened a while ago but was just positing now. Maybe he had written it down somewhere else at the time and pasted it in.

He said this was an email he sent to friends the next day, and is just now sharing it with us. ...but I'm too lazy to read OP to see if I'm accurate.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    revisiting this cool "meeting ed" story. love it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    revisiting this cool "meeting ed" story. love it. 
    I must be losing my mind because I don't recall the original post but I responded numerous times in this thread.  Yikes!!  Actually blows my mind.  Still a good story, Ed obviously did not have a problem with the OPs approach or he would not have had the experience at all.  I think it's a nice memory.  As superman elwayvedder stated, putting our personal experiences down to share with the band would be cool.  And yes, elwayvedder is superman in my world.  
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Yep. I was in an elevator with mudhoney, ricky ramone and their dirty laundry once.
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    edited November 2020
    Great story. Did not know it was from 2009. 
    Post edited by densan on
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.