Options

When will Ed learn his own lyrics?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I'm taking a wild stab here, but PJ probably has over 150 original songs, plus all the many covers they've done. damn, that's a lot of words to remember. i figure each song averages at least 40 words. That would be like 6000 words, that's a lot to ask. especially when you're slamming red wine all concert long :)

i have two kids and still get their names mixed up. can't imagine trying to remember all those lyrics.

and besides, we all like eddie because he's cute, not because he's got an elephant's memory.
  • Options
    I love the fact that Ed mess up the lyrics from time to time.

First thing to notice is that Pearl Jam NEVER repeats a setlist. They don't do like other bands that have a fix setlist and go with it every night of a tour.

Pearl Jam has more than 100 live songs... it's impossible to remember everything.

Everytime they mess up, play something differente or in a "wrong" way... makes that performance UNIQUE.

Take State College concert as a example... when they play Breath... Ed forgets the lyrics and the public steps in to remember him... and he acknowledges that... IT'S A MAGICAL MOMENT!!! UNIQUE!!!
    In love with music
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    HeavyHands wrote:
    I hope he never remembers the lyrics. It puts a little more pressure on him. I'll bet that with the stakes that high every night the pressure makes the reward that much more sweet for him.
    YES..i vote for that too..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I almost only listen to the bootlegs. The reason why is because I like the "mistakes". I like hearing the journey they are on that night. I was at the EV show in Balitmore this summer and he played Gone by request. He hadn't planned on playing it and fucked up the Lyrics. It was cool though, the crowd kept singing and it inspired him. It was a real moment. He went on to play this later on his tour.

I think Art should be interpretable, inspirational and real. Also someone on this thread had a good point...he does pound red wine all night!
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    I heard he puts Gatorade in the bottle...don't know if its true or not
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    MAS wrote:

Heard it too in another thread.
  • Options
    i sat 2nd row at Mansfield 2 last year (lottery) and whatever was in the bottle wasn't red....
    i guess it doesn't matter but why go through the hassle....
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Kinsey wrote:
    A teleprompter is only a matter of time.
    hehe. U make me laugh :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

But... it is Ed... leave Him alone
    It's sweet He changes words...
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:
    MAS wrote:

so then he's faking drunk when he slurs his speech at the end of shows? that would be f--king lame.
  • Options
    kazmo wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Or how about when he does this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlKsUp2twGE

Heh, nice clip.

Like others have said, he has so many songs to remember, and the setlist is constantly changing every show, so it's understandable to forget or flub some lyrics sometimes. When he does something like that though (in that clip), it's still enjoyable and actually pretty funny. Sure he's a professional musician who's job involves performing, but everyone makes mistakes. He just gets more flak I suppose because he's in the spotlight.

Speaking of which, it makes me wish I had saved the link to the clip where he messes up the lyrics to Black, and improvises with something along the lines of "And all I taught her was, the wrong words".

This one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2x28FE ... E5&index=9 :D

That's exactly the clip I was looking for! Thanks!
  • Options
    I think he drinks the first one then goes to the gatorade....
    getting hammered night after night can wear on you...
  • Options
    csickels wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    MAS wrote:

so then he's faking drunk when he slurs his speech at the end of shows? that would be f--king lame.

C'mon dog. He doesn't slur his speech. I have tons of boots and I've never heard anything I'd consider "slurring his speech."

What Ed often does is have one bottle of wine, and then fill it with water or Gatorade during the encore break in order to keep hydrated.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    where's the fun in knowing all of your own lyrics? It fun to hear the audience sing something different from Ed :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    Singing lyrics while playing an instrument is like surfing - it's very hard not to think about what you are doing, and when you do - that's when you fall
    When you fall you can't pretend you're still on the wave
    You try to memorize 6000 words and repeat all of them on command
    (while drunk and stoned)
  • Options
    McNairn wrote:
    Singing lyrics while playing an instrument is like surfing - it's very hard not to think about what you are doing, and when you do - that's when you fall
    When you fall you can't pretend you're still on the wave
    You try to memorize 6000 words and repeat all of them on command
    (while drunk and stoned)

define stoned :lol:
  • Options
    LauriLauri Posts: 748
    if they played the same set every night with their hit songs, I'd expect him to know all the lyrics. But they don't.

I'm sure he knows the lyrics, the problem probably arises from what verse is coming next and stuff like that.
  • Options
    Heard it too in another thread.[/quote]

so then he's faking drunk when he slurs his speech at the end of shows? that would be f--king lame.[/quote]

C'mon dog. He doesn't slur his speech. I have tons of boots and I've never heard anything I'd consider "slurring his speech."

What Ed often does is have one bottle of wine, and then fill it with water or Gatorade during the encore break in order to keep hydrated.[/quote]

i've been listening to the Gorge discs - I forget which one in particular, but there's one where he talks about 2 bottles, and you can tell he's kinda making fun of himself for being a little buzzed - and he's definitely slurring when he talks (not the singing, that's always garbled). :)
  • Options
    theres a band in my country wich has 20+(maybe even 30 years) years on it and the singer still reads ALL the lyrics from the sheet.so Ed is doing fine !
    No matter how cold the winter ,there´s a springtime ahead...

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    where's the fun in knowing all of your own lyrics? It fun to hear the audience sing something different from Ed :-)
    :lol::lol::lol: exactly J....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”