Options

When will Ed learn his own lyrics?

theo667theo667 Posts: 43
edited September 2009 in The Porch
ok people i've noticed it and most of you that been to a 2009 pj concert would have noticed that ed used a sheet during the concert with the fixer and got some lyrics on it.
i find it funny and ridiculous not to know his own lyrics..
he has done it with some cover songs ok, but with his own songs? :lol:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Hey, I can barely remember my phone number and zip code, nevermind lyrics to the 100+ songs they will bang out over a tour...
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    he's always done it with his own songs... he always has his lyric book if i'm not mistaken. i saw him botch i got shit once with the lyric book infront of him. it was awesome.
  • Options
    The only artist to remember every single lyrics are the one's that do the same set list every single night, Ed on the other hand will remember songs they haven't performed in yrs he gets a pass .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    I've been playing and singing in a band for 10 years now.........half the time you forget lyrics when you start watching a good crowd that's into it and you start moving around too much or you drink too much. Both things I think Ed does!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
    A teleprompter is only a matter of time.
    When we found the things we loved,
    They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
    We tried to pick up the pieces,
    And get away without getting hurt,
    But they caught us at the state line,
    And burned our cars in one last fight,
    And left us running burned and blind,
    Chasing something in the night.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Isn't that what practice is for? To learn the songs??
    On the solo leg EV screwed up his own songs multiple times and these songs weren't new. Guaranteed was rather difficult for him to remember. In my husband's band, the singer occasionally rips out her lyric notebook, and I find it just so unprepared.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    Too bad nobody keeps stats on how many notes Mike, Stone and Jeff miss during a given show, or how many times Matt flubs. I bet it would be pretty close to the number of lyrics Ed forgets... I say give the guy a break. He's giving us all he has every show, and we still demand perfection? If you want perfect, stay home and listen to CDs.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    if he can't practice the song and remember his own lyrics i find it difficult for me to have a good time at the show..i get a feeling that someone is not so honest with me..
    come on now..fresh album after 3 years and he can't remember the lyrics from fixer or got some?
    it's a shame..
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    theo667 wrote:
    if he can't practice the song and remember his own lyrics i find it difficult for me to have a good time at the show..i get a feeling that someone is not so honest with me..
    come on now..fresh album after 3 years and he can't remember the lyrics from fixer or got some?
    it's a shame..

lighten up ... you cant have a good time at a show in case he fluffs a lyric? go to the show and enjoy the music, not sit there and cry just incase he sings "get some if you need it"

I have 2 daughters and occasionally i mix their names up... Ed has 100+ songs in the back catalogue to try and remember... it'd be like walking up to a poet with over 100 published poems and asking him/her to recite a randomly picked poem word for word
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    theo667 wrote:
    it's a shame..

lighten up ... you cant have a good time at a show in case he fluffs a lyric? go to the show and enjoy the music, not sit there and cry just incase he sings "get some if you need it"

I have 2 daughters and occasionally i mix their names up... Ed has 100+ songs in the back catalogue to try and remember... it'd be like walking up to a poet with over 100 published poems and asking him/her to recite a randomly picked poem word for word

i don't care if he fluffs a lyric.i don't like watching him reading the lyrics through a piece of paper..it's a whole differrent thing..
  • Options
    theo667 wrote:
    it's a shame..

i struggle with the lyrics to the fixer and it's one of 3 songs i've heard from the new album. i think ed's probably heard em all (though i hope he didn't download them...naughty ed)

it's like..i know what all the words are... but... am i gonna get them in the right order?... somethings.. uh... broke? no... old? no.......uh... signals cross? yes... i wanna.. uh..... ... .. ..put a little fire.. no.. high... no... shit.. um...
  • Options
    theo667 wrote:
    it's a shame..

What was the last show you attended :?: that you didn't enjoy please enlighten us .. :shock:
  • Options
    theo667 wrote:
    it's a shame..

What was the last show you attended :?: that you didn't enjoy please enlighten us .. :shock:

berlin 15th august 2009
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    edited September 2009
    I hope he never remembers the lyrics. It puts a little more pressure on him. I'll bet that with the stakes that high every night the pressure makes the reward that much more sweet for him.
    Post edited by HeavyHands on
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    In my opinion, it is personal preference about whether or not Eddie gets the lyrics right every time. :D

I like that he changes lyrics and makes mistakes because to me it feels like he wants to connect with the audience and mistakes are human. I think it takes courage to be in front of thousands of people and be humble enough to accept that you are human and make mistakes. Also, I think that Pearl Jam is so artistic and creative while on stage that it's inevitable that there will be mistakes because you can't step into the same river twice.

And I also understand other opinions about being a professional performer, being prepared, and wanting to sing along. All legitimate feelings too!
  • Options
    if we're putting a ban on forgetting the lyrics can we also ban improvisaton of any kind? nothing more embarrassing as an audience member than singing your heart out to what you KNOW the lyric is, including the timing as previously presented on the album, to find the sneaky singer has held a note longer than usual or the pesky guitarist has gone over their allotted time with a solo.
  • Options
    theo667 wrote:
    theo667 wrote:
    it's a shame..

berlin 15th august 2009

So after the show was over you felt cheated & dissapointed because he forgot some lyrics , i saw them in Toronto and belive me he didn't dissapoint at all i didn't see him reading from a lyric sheet ..
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    theo667 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    theo667 wrote:
    it's a shame..

i don't care if he fluffs a lyric.i don't like watching him reading the lyrics through a piece of paper..it's a whole differrent thing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67qFTp7tOOM

looks like he's checking the lyrics right at the start, maybe first 4 lines or something... after that he doesnt... I was at that show and i never noticed that one bit... certainly didn't 'find it difficult' to enjoy the show ...

you're placing the guy on a pedestal... he's human... its a new song that they are just starting to play live... lighten up
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    doompony wrote:
    if we're putting a ban on forgetting the lyrics can we also ban improvisaton of any kind? nothing more embarrassing as an audience member than singing your heart out to what you KNOW the lyric is, including the timing as previously presented on the album, to find the sneaky singer has held a note longer than usual or the pesky guitarist has gone over their allotted time with a solo.

ha ha ha Very very true!!! :lol: You're so cute, doompony! I can't wait to meet you in November! :mrgreen:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    I know I have listened to Evenflow more times than Ed has sang it and I still screw up the 2nd verse. :shock:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    doompony wrote:

ha ha ha Very very true!!! :lol: You're so cute, doompony! I can't wait to meet you in November! :mrgreen:

i'm gonna take a boom box to the auck gig to make sure they don't go over time on any songs. plus i'm going to distribute song lyrics to the audience with the unicorn headbands.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    I saw 4 of the recent shows, and eddie read the words to got some too, tyhe fixer and the real me?

did it distract from the performance? not a fucking bit.

Seriously dude i have no idea where you are coming from with this.

even comedians have reminders on stage with them, does it make it less funny?
  • Options
    Look...let's talk about the more important matter in Berlin:

WHAT THE FUCK HAS HE DONE TO HIS HAIR? He never used to have a widow's peak!?!?

Before:

eddievedder.jpg

After:

3925996872_aca06d1993_o.jpg

3925212475_944ba73e17_o.jpg

:shock: ;)
  • Options
    ..... :shock:

i have a widows peak... i've always hated it in junction with a slight cowlick on one side... can't imagine purposely giving myself one. there was nothing wrong with his hair before.
  • Options
    *COUGHhairtransplantsCOUGH*
  • Options
    SM169849SM169849 Thunder Bay Ontario Canada Posts: 93
    Give the guy a break, be glad we dont have to listen to the same polished set list night after night!! :D
    * Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    * Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006
    * Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    * United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    * United Center - Aug 24, 2009
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    Christ, he used the Yield CD insert while singing Low Light at Greatwoods in 2003. I thought it was fantastic.

Honestly, if this takes away from your experience, you should probably stop going to shows. As someone said, the only way he'll be flawless during a gig is if they keep doing the same sets every night. And then, you'd have some seriously pissed off fans.
  • Options
    I don't mind if Ed messes up the lyrics. Shit happens! Give the guy a break!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    I still truly amazes me that he has the ability to remember as much as he does. It is simply inconceivable that anyone can remember all those lyrics night after night...and then remember them again on the next tour.

it is truly remarkable.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    If I drank as much wine as he did during shows, I'd mess up all the lyrics too. ;)
    I don't mind that he messes them up. We all know them anyway, so we can just sing along if he needs help remembering! Keep in mind they do a different setlist every night and they have hundreds of songs in their repertoire!
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016