Options

green bay all the way!!!

Comments

• Options
    From the LA Times! :)

Favre homage: on bended, creaky knee
    November 29, 2007

"NBC has 'Bionic Woman.' The NFL has Brett Favre, the bionic man. Guess which one is having the better season? I don't know what you're eating, Mr. Favre, but pass the candy dish.You're maybe the last
    American hero. A postmodern DiMaggio. A Wyatt Earp. You're about 140 years old, with the smile of an 8-year-old and a gun like Zeus.

You do all the things the other superstars don't. You play in that city by the bay, an obscure little place with more chipmunks than people, more deer rifles than cellphones. Up there in northern Wisconsin, you don't ride in limos; they just send over Santa's sleigh.

You're us, which isn't so bad -- at least if you ask us. You're not some natty dude, a blingy gold-toothed Liberace. No three-pointed kerchief in your suit pocket, like the male mannequins back in the Fox studio. No sir. You wear your hair like the 18th green, short and fast. You could comb it with a golf towel.

Yep, we appreciate your sense of style -- the plain gray T-shirts and the faded jeans. You've got that same lovely wife you started with. Your beard's getting a little frosty, the jowls a little puffy, but she's stuck by you, that woman. Through your tough times. And you through hers.

Love your loyalty, love your work. The cynics claimed you were done. 'Retire, fool,' they said last season. 'Put a fork in Favre. His popper has popped.'

Turns out they were the fools. They forgot you were part Choctaw, part '56 Chevy. You're having your greatest season yet, playing like a legend. And like a scrub who just appreciates the chance to suit up.

Sure, your wheels don't work like they used to. People forget that you have the same degenerative hip disease that permanently sidelined Bo Jackson. At 38, you can sprint with the kids for about three half-steps, then . look out ... cruuuuuuunch. Those first steps on a Monday morning must really snap-crackle-pop. Talk about a working stiff. Welcome to the club.
    When you're not at work, you're at home, just like the rest of us middle-aged saps. I'll bet she's already nagging you about all the Christmas junk, huh? Brett, can you bring those boxes up from the basement? Brett, how about hanging the outdoor lights on the birch tree? That sort of stuff. Like the rest of us, you don't need a holiday to remind you of your blessings.

Yep, you're us all right, and we couldn't be more thrilled. You don't like to miss work under any condition. It's just the way you were raised. A guy thing. You don't miss work. In almost 300 games, including two Super Bowls, you haven't missed a start. It is the sports stat of our time.

And we certainly don't mind your sense of craft, your safecracker's cool. One moment, you're zinging thunderbolts across the middle. The next you're looping 9-iron shots in the end zone. The laser bomb that beat the Broncos? Boom! Brilliant.

You're what we all hoped to become in the backyards of our youth. You play as if you're hanging with your pals, and the sun is setting and the moms are calling everyone home for supper. Come on, Brett, your buddies say. One more. One more series ....

Blanda. Nicklaus. Aaron. They all played their respective games a long time, gave us old-timers hope. Now you're our time machine, our fountain of goof.

Lombardi will be watching from his skybox, barking out commands, wondering where the hell Hornung is.

Also cheering will be millions of gimpy guys a little past their prime for whom you've become this year's most compelling sports story. An inspiration. A Perseus in cleats.

So, come on, Brett. One more. One more series ...."

The pack has been practicing with frozen footballs today...hehe...its gonna be good. :)
  • Options
    Go Pack Go! (I couldn't help it)
    Do not enjoy moderation in excess...
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I got this from a friend near Green Bay yesterday........

"...no snow in the forecast for Sunday.....today we are under a "winter weather advisory" with 6-8 inches expected....Sunday the forecast is for it to be frigid.....high of 8 degrees low of -1....before windchill....windchills maybe be as low as minus 20.
    Woo hoo!"

Holy cow, it's gonna be cold there.........and i'm sure there will be some shirtless fan painted green and yellow there!! I can't wait.
    GO PACK GO!!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    it has been crazy in wisconsin this week!!!

i am sick of it, like favre, i want them to play like always.

they are focused and i hope the hype doesn't get to the new guys.

we have been here before, but only a couple of us.

keep cool and play hard pack ball. just another game.

same as before, they win they get to play another game, they lose they go home.

but i have to say it is nuts!!

i live about an 1.5hrs from GB and there were people from new york in the bar of my small town.

i said you aren't from around here are you? nope. from NY. wow!!!

i live in a small small town in wi. about 10k people.

it will be something!!!!!
    one love

respect
  • Options
    Go Giants ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    "This time I'm Gone.... Long Gone..."
  • Options
    TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    I hope Green Bay wins it all, Favre is the best quarterback I've ever seen, fuck the patriots, those cheating fucks don't deserve shit, they beat my panthers in the super bowl and it makes me wonder how long they have been filming the opposing teams signals, fuck em, go GB!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • Options
    PACKERS

:D
  • Options
    Go Pats!
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    Enjoy the game, cheese heads. This will be Favre's swan song. Hope he doesn't cry like T.O.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Great reads, that took awhile!!!

I don't think we have to worry about the hype getting to anyone. Favre just goes out there and has fun, and that sets an example for everyone and keeps them relaxed. We've got leaders where we need them to keep the young guys in check.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    PEPPER wrote:
    Seattle Post Intelligencer GREEN BAY, Wis. -- It's easy to hate the New York Yankees if you're a Boston Red Sox fan, and vice versa. The same goes for the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins, Michigan and Ohio State and those originators of the shotgun formation, the Hatfields and McCoys.

But who hates the Green Bay Packers?

Steeped in tradition and often viewed through a prism of sepia-tone nostalgia, the Packers have succeeded against all odds in a tiny and remote market, in a 50-year-old (albeit renovated) stadium with aluminum bench seats, in an era of unfettered free agency and corporate greed.

OK, if you're a Seahawks fan, you're not feeling all warm and fuzzy about Brett Favre and Al Harris right about now. "We want the ball and we're going to score!" might be old news, but the sting lingers.

Really, though, do you hate the Packers?

Not if you know anything about the history of the National Football League.
    Not if you've seen those grainy images of the 1967 "Ice Bowl" and Bart Starr's fateful quarterback sneak on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.
    Not if you admire the principles on which Vince Lombardi built a dynasty.
    Not if you pull for the underdog.

In Wisconsin, there is no other option. You are born into Packerdom here.
    Your great-grandfather cheered for Curly Lambeau and Don Hutson, your grandpa for Paul Hornung and Willie Wood, your dad for James Lofton and Lynn Dickey. Every kid on your block owns a No. 4 jersey.

What makes the Packers special? Start with the fact that there are 112,015 owners, the vast majority of whom hold one share of stock. Formed in the NFL's primordial mist in 1919, the Packers became a non-profit entity four years later and remain the only publicly owned team among the major professional sports.

The most recent stock sale, in 1998, netted 106,000 new "owners" who paid $200 per share (and sent $24 million straight to the team's bottomline) for certificates that are basically worthless. The stock never pays dividends or appreciates in value. But the emotional investment is priceless. When general manager Ted Thompson signs a free agent, the fans can thump their chests and say, "I helped bring that guy to Green Bay."Andit's true.

Of course, Bob Harlan, who has run the Packers for 19 years, first as president and CEO and more recently as chairman of the board, has a stake in the team. He, too, owns exactly one share of stock.

"I paid $25 for my share when I became president," said Harlan, who is retiring after the postseason. "When fans call me, they start out by saying, 'Bob, I'm a fan and a shareholder.' They always point out that they're shareholders. I say, 'Well, I am, too, so let's talk.' "

Did we mention that Harlan answers his own telephone? There is no administrative assistant to run interference, no automated maze to negotiate. You've got a beef with the injured cornerback or the price of tickets, you go straight to the top dog.

The fact that the Packers can even exist in a city of 100,000 is a minor miracle, due in equal parts to fan loyalty throughout the state and revenue sharing in the NFL. Los Angeles can't support a team but this little frozen outpost can? It's one of the mysteries of the universe.

It helps that not much ever happens in Green Bay, other than what occurs at1265 Lombardi Ave. Lambeau Field -- notice, no naming rights -- is the city's corporate and social epicenter, its source of civic pride, its very heart and soul.

The nearest NCAA Division I football team is 2 1/2 hours away at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Milwaukee is 115 miles to the south, so the Packers are the only game in town.

Their reach extends north into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, south into Chicago Bears turf and west clear to the Dakotas (the team had a 40-year head start on the Minnesota Vikings). And that doesn't count the fans who have relocated or the ones Harlan likens to the "Notre Dame subway alumni."

"People call me and say, 'I'm a lifelong Packers fan and someday I'd love to see Lambeau Field,' " Harlan said. "They've never even been here."

On game days, the far-flung Cheeseheads converge on Green Bay and fill the Lambeau parking lot hours before kickoff. First-time visitors are blown away by the passion, creativity and dedication of the tailgaters.There'snothing quite like the smell of 10,000 bratwursts sizzling on 1,000 grills and the sight of footballs spiraling through 10-degree air.

The Packers-Seahawks game will mark the 268th consecutive sellout at Lambeau, including playoffs. That's every single game since 1960. The waiting list for season tickets is at 76,800. With an average of 70 fans per year giving up their seats, the guy at the end of the list will have to wait 1,000 years, give or take a few decades, for his name to come up.

Season-ticket holders live in all 50 states and several foreign countries, including Japan. Domo arrigato.

The obsession with the team is such that the 10 p.m. TV newscasts in Milwaukee and Green Bay are dominated by Packers developments. The long snapper has an ingrown toenail? That leads the sports report. The price of beer is going up at Lambeau? That's the top story.
    Brett Favre retires? We don't even want to think about that one.

The Packers have won 12 championships, more than any other NFL franchise, and three Super Bowl titles. The team has sent 21 players to the Hall of Fame. Green Bay city streets are named after former players and coaches, including Mike Holmgren.

But it's not about all that.

It's about a unique relationship between a professional sports franchise and its fans.

It's about people feeling they're a part of something special, something unique, something good.

The Packers don't need throwback jerseys to evoke their glorious past.

In all the ways that count, it's still 1965 here. And always will be.

What a great read!! GO PACK GO!!! I can't wait for Sunday!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    GIANTS

:D

YEAH, GO GIANTS!!!!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Go Pack Go!!
  • Options
    LongGone wrote:
    YEAH, GO GIANTS!!!!

Good luck to your team. :)
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    game on!! are you ready for some football?
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    Do you think we will get a Betterman/Favre montage today? I hope so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9nOzB4b62U&NR=1
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    Good game 4
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,314
    "the Giants Win The Pennant"
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    WOHOOOO GO GIANTS!!!!

Nobody was given them any chance and my goodness what a game! So happy the GIANTS won!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,008
    haha- I love it!

Go Pack Go....Home!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    lmao at this thread.

F Favre, the "gunslinger"....hahahahah
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    dear green bay,

enjoy the offseason.

love,
    robby
  • Options
    Dear Pack,

Good job on another overrated season. Time for Fav-ruh to reture.

Love,

A BEARS fan.

BEAR DOWN.
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    till the END BITCHES< TILL THE END!!!!!!

time to go
    we did the best we can, i say WE becuz we are team owners, and not you!!

we will be back, will be many years i think????

i started this thread and i am going to end it!!!

good luck giants.

do not replay
    delate thread.
    one love

respect
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Screw The Super Bowl No One Wants To See Either Team In It!!!!!

Go Jets Go Jets Go Jets Go Jets Go Jets Go Jets Go Jets Go Jets
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    till the END BITCHES< TILL THE END!!!!!!

time to go
    we did the best we can, i say WE becuz we are team owners, and not you!!

we will be back, will be many years i think????

i started this thread and i am going to end it!!!

good luck giants.

do not replay
    delate thread.

now if that interception doesn't define brett favres career i don't know what would. a stupid amateur throw. atta boy brett.

now on to the excuses.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    jordn6971 wrote:
    You guys are all just pissed because Favre has shamed your teams so may times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Fz1nSAnHY

Enjoy/Worship Favre
    lol. . .how bout now?
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    so is favre up to 280 or 281 now...they should have a nice little mark on the last one

*blown chance for super bowl.
  • Options
    lol. . .how bout now?

Exactly!

HOW 'bout them GIANTS?!?!?! :D
  • Options
    chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    green bay all the way?

oops!